EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Let's talk competitive rating (CR)

2Next

Replies

• Gifto73 wrote: »
    No way you have a CR over 600 and suck.

From experience, players with about 720 or over start to become challenging.

• meh- I played vs for the first time last night, started with a CR of 500, won 5-0, ended the game with 507 CR.

Not sold on it being an indicator of anything.
  • MHazz69 wrote: »
    Agreed Snapcaster1, I have a very familiar tale. Although, I do not have a club affiliation, so I only have drop ins to my credit / discredit. I can hold a team down or off the board defensively, contribute 2 goals 2 assists in the win and get waxed 7-0 the next game by being paired with weaker players that clearly are only out fir their own stats and do not care about the win. That makes me a minus players with a high hockey sense, that plays a team style game, look very mediocre. My CR is 461 due to my career being a drop in career.

Exactally..+\- means jack squat in drop ins. I rest my case.

It may not be an idicator of talent but it certainly means something. I was trying to hook on with a club after about 80 drop ins and I had trouble getting a look based off my +/-

A lot of people in higher ranked clubs don't care that you earn your garbage stats in drop ins, they only care that you have garbage stats.
  • jiajji wrote: »
    MHazz69 wrote: »
    Agreed Snapcaster1, I have a very familiar tale. Although, I do not have a club affiliation, so I only have drop ins to my credit / discredit. I can hold a team down or off the board defensively, contribute 2 goals 2 assists in the win and get waxed 7-0 the next game by being paired with weaker players that clearly are only out fir their own stats and do not care about the win. That makes me a minus players with a high hockey sense, that plays a team style game, look very mediocre. My CR is 461 due to my career being a drop in career.

It may not be an idicator of talent but it certainly means something. I was trying to hook on with a club after about 80 drop ins and I had trouble getting a look based off my +/-

A lot of people in higher ranked clubs don't care that you earn your garbage stats in drop ins, they only care that you have garbage stats.

They obviously don’t know how the stat works then. It makes no sense in a game with no line changes
  • jiajji wrote: »
    MHazz69 wrote: »

They obviously don’t know how the stat works then. It makes no sense in a game with no line changes

What are you talking about? How can it not make sense because of no line changes? +/- works the exact same way, regardless the number of minutes played.

Where it doesn't make sense in dropins, is when you have a turd goalie and your d partner has no clue what he is doing. You play perfect defense on your side, and get nailed 9-1. Even though you play great, your +/- is suddenly worthless. So if clubs are strictly looking at +/-, then they need to get a clue when recruiting.
  • @WainGretSki because look at the definition of plus minus. It’s all about being on the ice during full strength and shorthanded goals. There are many sernairos that take place in calculating that stat bro. So if your on the ice for all goals for and against shorthanded and full strength the stat is meaningless. There is no line changes in EASHL therefore the stat is not really accurate nor applicable in my opinion. It means a little more in clubs as your usually playing with same guys all the time and there is more consistency but dropins for sure means nothing. It’s just my opinion but I’d challenge someone to explain how it works then in a game where your always on ice or penalty box?
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    @WainGretSki because look at the definition of plus minus. It’s all about being on the ice during full strength and shorthanded goals. There are many sernairos that take place in calculating that stat bro. So if your on the ice for all goals for and against shorthanded and full strength the stat is meaningless. There is no line changes in EASHL therefore the stat is not really accurate nor applicable in my opinion. It means a little more in clubs as your usually playing with same guys all the time and there is more consistency but dropins for sure means nothing. It’s just my opinion but I’d challenge someone to explain how it works then in a game where your always on ice or penalty box?

The fact you are always on the ice is irrelevant. Every goal scored with you on the ice, you get a +1. Same for goals against, -1. Also, it is more irrelevant that you are always on the ice because you could easily, and consistently, be at +9 for a single game. You will just see greater fluctuation than you would in a situation that runs 4 lines. Over a large sample size, it kinda evens out as there are games where you can and will lose by 5 or 6 goals.

In the box, far as I know, the game doesn't calculate a -1.
  • @WainGretSki because look at the definition of plus minus. It’s all about being on the ice during full strength and shorthanded goals. There are many sernairos that take place in calculating that stat bro. So if your on the ice for all goals for and against shorthanded and full strength the stat is meaningless. There is no line changes in EASHL therefore the stat is not really accurate nor applicable in my opinion. It means a little more in clubs as your usually playing with same guys all the time and there is more consistency but dropins for sure means nothing. It’s just my opinion but I’d challenge someone to explain how it works then in a game where your always on ice or penalty box?

The fact you are always on the ice is irrelevant. Every goal scored with you on the ice, you get a +1. Same for goals against, -1. Also, it is more irrelevant that you are always on the ice because you could easily, and consistently, be at +9 for a single game. You will just see greater fluctuation than you would in a situation that runs 4 lines. Over a large sample size, it kinda evens out as there are games where you can and will lose by 5 or 6 goals.

I have to disagree.. in real hockey if I’m on the bench and your on ice and the opposing team scores you will get a minus and I don’t. Make sense? So if we are both always on ice yes we are always getting + and -! in drops one game I have a elite squad and in another I have garbage. But I’m on ice so I take a -5 with them in the game garbage stat bro ask ovi if he cares about +/- lol.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    @WainGretSki because look at the definition of plus minus. It’s all about being on the ice during full strength and shorthanded goals. There are many sernairos that take place in calculating that stat bro. So if your on the ice for all goals for and against shorthanded and full strength the stat is meaningless. There is no line changes in EASHL therefore the stat is not really accurate nor applicable in my opinion. It means a little more in clubs as your usually playing with same guys all the time and there is more consistency but dropins for sure means nothing. It’s just my opinion but I’d challenge someone to explain how it works then in a game where your always on ice or penalty box?

I have to disagree.. in real hockey if I’m on the bench and your on ice and the opposing team scores you will get a minus and I don’t. Make sense? So if we are both always on ice yes we are always getting + and -! in drops one game I have a elite squad and in another I have garbage. But I’m on ice so I take a -5 with them in the game garbage stat bro ask ovi if he cares about +/- lol.

What is hard to understand? Yes you're on the bench and you don't get a -1. Yes you are on the bench and also don't get a +1. Simple, no?

Ovi has been missing a tooth for like 10 years and doesn't seem to care about what he looks like, so pretty sure he doesn't care about his +/- or pretty much anything else that isn't a paycheck.

[Socair - edited swear filter effect]
  • @TheAmazinqRacist so ya also exploring the stats this morning the top 2 d in drop ins (last 30 days)are obviously trolls by looking at their stats but if you compare them to mine I mean goals vs assists how about the one guy with over 200 offsides and dnf%of50 and no blocked shots you can clearly see in my stat line I’m playing Defense and team play and they are trying to score goals and puck hog. Even the dekes attempted vs successful it’s clear they are not playing defense. It’s clear that I am! So the leaderboards do tell us some info. The one guy leaves if he’s losing half the time. Any good player looking at the leaderboard with knowledge of hockey can see my stats are legit and defensive.

Yeah, it kills me that they get on the leaderboards based on their stats, but not the stats that indicate if they're actually playing defense. I'll end up with a RD that is constantly up at the opposing blue line cherry picking, and never once tries to play D, and he'll end up with 90% on D because of me, and yet he thinks he's an awesome possum. Kills me.

Ovi may not care about his +/- but he's a + player
  • -25 CR because one dude left before the game and the other left four minutes into a 0-0 game. Last night, for blowout wins I was getting +4 CR. Lol. CR is a joke.
  • It depends more on your teammates than your ability apparently
  • i run from 400~ to 550~ with 200~games played in 6v6 drop in of which I’ve only quit one game(wife got home early 🤐)

That said it’s a silly thing to be concerned with.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Tahoe65JP
    1 posts New member
    I say only clubs should have a cr. Who cares (or needs to even see the cr) their should not even be a category and just play drop in without knowing what anyone's cr is. Drop in's should be to just play with different people. You should not be punished for what happens in a drop in game. I see lots of guys wont even play the drop in game cause they might wind up loosing cr points.