EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - HUT Deep dive


Andrew Marks HUT Producer and Nicholas Shewchuk Live Content Producer discuss HUT in NHL 20.
Check it out here.

A Community Test Server

Prev1
Many games nowadays have a test server for participants to try out changes made to the game before its its public servers. It allows developers to communicate better with the playerbase on changes to their game.

Now, I’m saying this because of the backlash the community has been giving EA after each tuner and patch. To combat this, EA should set up a test server in which they can get feedback on a better basis IMO.

Wether everyone should able to participate or only selected people, i don’t know. But I do think this can help both EA and the community.

Replies

  • I've only seen test servers on pc, does xbox or playstation allow for test servers?

    For example pubg test server was a completely separate game download.
  • EA will say that is what gamechangers are for. They are our "voice" for the community lol. Of course, none of them push personal agendas or think about their streams and viewers.
  • RSall14
    493 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    It won't work on console because they can't push patches whenever they feel like it, they need to have it authenticated by Sony or Microsoft
    Post edited by RSall14 on
  • TieRant4umMawdz
    144 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    flyextacy wrote: »
    I've only seen test servers on pc, does xbox or playstation allow for test servers?

    For example pubg test server was a completely separate game download.

    Yes. I do test servers on The Division on PS4 since it was in the pre-beta phase. It's really great how Ubisoft listens to the players. That games been dead awhile but still.
  • EA will say that is what gamechangers are for. They are our "voice" for the community lol. Of course, none of them push personal agendas or think about their streams and viewers.

    Who are these so called game changers nowadays anyways? I remember some names when they were first announced. Shouldn't they be the ones on here communicating with us nobodies? In terms of people who supposedly play the game regularly, they should have more insight that the dev's you would think. At least they would be able to relate to us all better. Why can't EA host a QnA with the game changers on these forums one evening? The game changers could even stream it all on their channels if they need extra incentive to do this.
  • EA will say that is what gamechangers are for. They are our "voice" for the community lol. Of course, none of them push personal agendas or think about their streams and viewers.

    Who are these so called game changers nowadays anyways? I remember some names when they were first announced. Shouldn't they be the ones on here communicating with us nobodies? In terms of people who supposedly play the game regularly, they should have more insight that the dev's you would think. At least they would be able to relate to us all better. Why can't EA host a QnA with the game changers on these forums one evening? The game changers could even stream it all on their channels if they need extra incentive to do this.

    Gamechangers haven't been here in quite awhile aside from Bbunny.

    I don't remember all their names, but there have only been 3 that I trust over the last few years, and they are Bbunny, Ferreli and Pope. I really don't feel like they are pushing their own agendas and do want what's best for this series.

    DjNeo was a gamechanger, and I would trust him but I simply do not play offline modes. Besides, it is pretty moot at this point as he stepped down.

    There is a Gamechanger for goalies, but not to take anything away from him, goalies are still essentially very horrible to play. I suspect this is alot more on EA's shoulders than his.

    The other Gamechangers that stream and whatnot.. Not so sure their intentions are for the greater good of the community, but I could be absolutely wrong. There is the marketing ploy to consider and we all know how EA loves their marketing ploys. Remember these marketing ploys:

    Now every position is fun.

    Team play will be extremely important.

    Everyone is getting hit.

    Play with over 200 Legends.....

    Anyways, seems your point was how little we hear from them and I agree.
  • B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer
    edited November 2018
    There's 20-30 gamechangers now. I think it's a shame you guys don't know 95% of them and part of that is on those gamechangers and the other part is on EA.

    The whole purpose of being a gamechanger was to have reach to an audience, whether it be the EA forums, reddit, your youtube channel, twitch stream, and get feedback from those people and be able to more directly get back to EA. We are 'ambassadors' of the community. That being said, this game is split up in so many different kinds of communities and each community wants different things. You've got HUT specific gamechangers, EASHL specific gamechangers, gamechangers that do both, sometimes it's difficult to sort out the noise. People start talking about skaters being too slow or turning too fast and yet don't specify which mode they play the most because HUT certainly plays different than EASHL which plays differently than your offline franchises sliders. Your 95 overall team in HUT isn't a direct representation of how the game plays in EASHL. And your 3v3 only experience in EASHL isn't a good outlier on how to tune the game overall because man that mode plays so much different with 12 players on the ice.


    The purpose of each tuner is to improve the game, obviously. I think some recommendations get lost in all the noise from the different communities and everyone, including us, could do a better job at pinpointing what it is exactly that is the problems we are trying to fix before we try and fix them; otherwise one minor thing ends up affecting something else that wasn't intended to and it snowballs from there.

    I know this is already super off topic so sorry mods, just thought I'd chime in to an already offtopic discussion.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    There's 20-30 gamechangers now. I think it's a shame you guys don't know 95% of them and part of that is on those gamechangers and the other part is on EA.

    The whole purpose of being a gamechanger was to have reach to an audience, whether it be the EA forums, reddit, your youtube channel, twitch stream, and get feedback from those people and be able to more directly get back to EA. We are 'ambassadors' of the community. That being said, this game is split up in so many different kinds of communities and each community wants different things. You've got HUT specific gamechangers, EASHL specific gamechangers, gamechangers that do both, sometimes it's difficult to sort out the noise. People start talking about skaters being too slow or turning too fast and yet don't specify which mode they play the most because HUT certainly plays different than EASHL which plays differently than your offline franchises sliders. Your 95 overall team in HUT isn't a direct representation of how the game plays in EASHL. And your 3v3 only experience in EASHL isn't a good outlier on how to tune the game overall because man that mode plays so much different with 12 players on the ice.


    The purpose of each tuner is to improve the game, obviously. I think some recommendations get lost in all the noise from the different communities and everyone, including us, could do a better job at pinpointing what it is exactly that is the problems we are trying to fix before we try and fix them; otherwise one minor thing ends up affecting something else that wasn't intended to and it snowballs from there.

    I know this is already super off topic so sorry mods, just thought I'd chime in to an already offtopic discussion.

    Yes it is sad that we practically know nothing of the Gamechanger. I think it should be obligatory to create an account here the moment you are a Gamechanger. It is the official EA forums, is it not?

    Yes I would agree updates are supposed to improve gameplay, but it seems like for every fix, there also comes a gameplay sacrifice of sorts.

    The main priority for this game is that every player feels like has has control. Every position has to be fun. I can assure you that defense being so gimped as it is, the game is not balanced at all, nor realistic, nor fun.

    I am sorry to say, not every forward should be rewarded and given a free pass to hog the puck to the slot. The NHL does not have 300 Crosbys and 150 Oveckins and 200 Kucherovs. There is a reason for this. This exact same reasoning has to apply to EASHL, period. You want to be a Crosby? Then it will take skill, time, and practice. So now this is what we have, and I am talking about EASHL only:

    - Poke checks are good for the most part when used properly. I say for the most part because quite a few successful poke checks just go directly to an opponent's stick. I commend the devs to sticking to their guns on this one even though players are still not adapting. They simply refuse to not spam the second they lose the puck....

    - Poke checks are useless when in close, which is fine. But, stick lifts are pretty much completely useless in about 90% of defensive situations, if not more. Practically an auto penalty, and this happens on even successful lifts.

    - When matching a puck carrier's speed, hitting has become pretty much obsolete. Even danglers are very successful at shrugging off hits unless they are hit squarely in the chest or with great velocity. Alos moving into or towards their dekes does yield results.

    - We do not have any other physical tools other than body checks and along the boards we have boardplay, which is in serious need of an update. Now we get players who angle towards the boards while you are backing up and then they squeak by simply because the are holding their sticks towards the boards. We should be able to grab a player and shove him towards the boards then pin him there.

    - Last night I was a DD, with brute force 2 and heavy hitting 2 and was racing to get an icing call in my zone. The other player was a dangler. As we both reached the puck, I shoved him away from the puck. He got shoved a good 5 feet with decent velocity. He of course still pucks up the puck while being pushed sideways and away from the puck with a nice one-handed puck pickup.... My winger who was already coming in to the corner, lines up the dangler, who of course curls his stick back changing the angle of his upper body and my winger just glazes of him and sails right on by. I use DSS to cut away his pass to the crease, but no, he pulls it off anyways, nice one-timer that is right off the post from his center who was streaking in as if Satan himself was behind him. Yup, fun times on D I can tell you that....

    So now the strategy is to get into the defenders face asap so he has fewer tools, or simply turn away from him while holding the stick away to negate body checks.
    The result is gimped, unrewarding and boring defensive play while giving human goalies an absolute hard time and alot less support. So now playing goalie is also unrewarding, tedious, clunky and downright aggravating.

    In the end, I do not care where the input comes from but the game has reverted completely back to previous years. Protective bubbles are back, puck hogging is back, garbage plays being rewarded is back, playing sound defense and getting burned is back.... I get what the tuners are supposed to do. I get the desired effect with these tuners. Sadly, the result is not good. Not even close. The game is no longer fun. For those who hog and only want to score, the game I guess is fun. For those who like to break up plays, break out of zones, be an imposing physical force, make great passes, cycle the puck, make saves and get shutouts are out of luck. It isn't fun for them.

    I am dead serious when I say this game sucks, again. New game, new skating, new "hitting" and it has that same stale feel to it that I just cannot stomach anymore and refuse to encourage with any purchases in the future. Been over 5 years supporting this gameplay tuning. Bacon's video is the perfect depiction of why I have grown to hate this series with a passion. The beta made all that go away, for a short time.

    For all those that put sweat and tears and who knows how many hours of overtime, well, sad to say, that sucks for you cause sales are not gonna improve with this direction despite your efforts and dedication.

  • flyextacy wrote: »
    I've only seen test servers on pc, does xbox or playstation allow for test servers?

    For example pubg test server was a completely separate game download.

    Battlefield 1 and 4 had community test servers on consoles. I don’t think a serpartae download will be a big deal/
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    There's 20-30 gamechangers now. I think it's a shame you guys don't know 95% of them and part of that is on those gamechangers and the other part is on EA.

    The whole purpose of being a gamechanger was to have reach to an audience, whether it be the EA forums, reddit, your youtube channel, twitch stream, and get feedback from those people and be able to more directly get back to EA. We are 'ambassadors' of the community. That being said, this game is split up in so many different kinds of communities and each community wants different things. You've got HUT specific gamechangers, EASHL specific gamechangers, gamechangers that do both, sometimes it's difficult to sort out the noise. People start talking about skaters being too slow or turning too fast and yet don't specify which mode they play the most because HUT certainly plays different than EASHL which plays differently than your offline franchises sliders. Your 95 overall team in HUT isn't a direct representation of how the game plays in EASHL. And your 3v3 only experience in EASHL isn't a good outlier on how to tune the game overall because man that mode plays so much different with 12 players on the ice.


    The purpose of each tuner is to improve the game, obviously. I think some recommendations get lost in all the noise from the different communities and everyone, including us, could do a better job at pinpointing what it is exactly that is the problems we are trying to fix before we try and fix them; otherwise one minor thing ends up affecting something else that wasn't intended to and it snowballs from there.

    I know this is already super off topic so sorry mods, just thought I'd chime in to an already offtopic discussion.

    If the game changers came to the official game forums they “game change” they we can get know them and communicate them with them more.

  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    There's 20-30 gamechangers now. I think it's a shame you guys don't know 95% of them and part of that is on those gamechangers and the other part is on EA.

    The whole purpose of being a gamechanger was to have reach to an audience, whether it be the EA forums, reddit, your youtube channel, twitch stream, and get feedback from those people and be able to more directly get back to EA. We are 'ambassadors' of the community. That being said, this game is split up in so many different kinds of communities and each community wants different things. You've got HUT specific gamechangers, EASHL specific gamechangers, gamechangers that do both, sometimes it's difficult to sort out the noise. People start talking about skaters being too slow or turning too fast and yet don't specify which mode they play the most because HUT certainly plays different than EASHL which plays differently than your offline franchises sliders. Your 95 overall team in HUT isn't a direct representation of how the game plays in EASHL. And your 3v3 only experience in EASHL isn't a good outlier on how to tune the game overall because man that mode plays so much different with 12 players on the ice.


    The purpose of each tuner is to improve the game, obviously. I think some recommendations get lost in all the noise from the different communities and everyone, including us, could do a better job at pinpointing what it is exactly that is the problems we are trying to fix before we try and fix them; otherwise one minor thing ends up affecting something else that wasn't intended to and it snowballs from there.

    I know this is already super off topic so sorry mods, just thought I'd chime in to an already offtopic discussion.

    If the game changers came to the official game forums they “game change” they we can get know them and communicate them with them more.

    If we don't know them by now, have to assume they couldn't care less about knowing us, except for the 2 or 3 we usually hear from here.

    Where's Pope, Ferelli, Jonlol??? They give up already?
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    There's 20-30 gamechangers now. I think it's a shame you guys don't know 95% of them and part of that is on those gamechangers and the other part is on EA.

    The whole purpose of being a gamechanger was to have reach to an audience, whether it be the EA forums, reddit, your youtube channel, twitch stream, and get feedback from those people and be able to more directly get back to EA. We are 'ambassadors' of the community. That being said, this game is split up in so many different kinds of communities and each community wants different things. You've got HUT specific gamechangers, EASHL specific gamechangers, gamechangers that do both, sometimes it's difficult to sort out the noise. People start talking about skaters being too slow or turning too fast and yet don't specify which mode they play the most because HUT certainly plays different than EASHL which plays differently than your offline franchises sliders. Your 95 overall team in HUT isn't a direct representation of how the game plays in EASHL. And your 3v3 only experience in EASHL isn't a good outlier on how to tune the game overall because man that mode plays so much different with 12 players on the ice.


    The purpose of each tuner is to improve the game, obviously. I think some recommendations get lost in all the noise from the different communities and everyone, including us, could do a better job at pinpointing what it is exactly that is the problems we are trying to fix before we try and fix them; otherwise one minor thing ends up affecting something else that wasn't intended to and it snowballs from there.

    I know this is already super off topic so sorry mods, just thought I'd chime in to an already offtopic discussion.

    If the game changers came to the official game forums they “game change” they we can get know them and communicate them with them more.

    If we don't know them by now, have to assume they couldn't care less about knowing us, except for the 2 or 3 we usually hear from here.

    Where's Pope, Ferelli, Jonlol??? They give up already?

    I remember when Ferreli said he would be on here more before the game was released. He was just a hype man to make us think they'd stick with the beta. Kid was lying.

    Also, who is Pope? And Jon lol only came here to promote his goaltending videos once a month.
  • WainGretSki
    2678 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    There's 20-30 gamechangers now. I think it's a shame you guys don't know 95% of them and part of that is on those gamechangers and the other part is on EA.

    The whole purpose of being a gamechanger was to have reach to an audience, whether it be the EA forums, reddit, your youtube channel, twitch stream, and get feedback from those people and be able to more directly get back to EA. We are 'ambassadors' of the community. That being said, this game is split up in so many different kinds of communities and each community wants different things. You've got HUT specific gamechangers, EASHL specific gamechangers, gamechangers that do both, sometimes it's difficult to sort out the noise. People start talking about skaters being too slow or turning too fast and yet don't specify which mode they play the most because HUT certainly plays different than EASHL which plays differently than your offline franchises sliders. Your 95 overall team in HUT isn't a direct representation of how the game plays in EASHL. And your 3v3 only experience in EASHL isn't a good outlier on how to tune the game overall because man that mode plays so much different with 12 players on the ice.


    The purpose of each tuner is to improve the game, obviously. I think some recommendations get lost in all the noise from the different communities and everyone, including us, could do a better job at pinpointing what it is exactly that is the problems we are trying to fix before we try and fix them; otherwise one minor thing ends up affecting something else that wasn't intended to and it snowballs from there.

    I know this is already super off topic so sorry mods, just thought I'd chime in to an already offtopic discussion.

    If the game changers came to the official game forums they “game change” they we can get know them and communicate them with them more.

    If we don't know them by now, have to assume they couldn't care less about knowing us, except for the 2 or 3 we usually hear from here.

    Where's Pope, Ferelli, Jonlol??? They give up already?

    I remember when Ferreli said he would be on here more before the game was released. He was just a hype man to make us think they'd stick with the beta. Kid was lying.

    Also, who is Pope? And Jon lol only came here to promote his goaltending videos once a month.

    Don't remember the Pope? He had Pope is his name. Maybe Datpope or ThatPope or something along those lines. Bunny knows him. Maybe he could clarify.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    There's 20-30 gamechangers now. I think it's a shame you guys don't know 95% of them and part of that is on those gamechangers and the other part is on EA.

    The whole purpose of being a gamechanger was to have reach to an audience, whether it be the EA forums, reddit, your youtube channel, twitch stream, and get feedback from those people and be able to more directly get back to EA. We are 'ambassadors' of the community. That being said, this game is split up in so many different kinds of communities and each community wants different things. You've got HUT specific gamechangers, EASHL specific gamechangers, gamechangers that do both, sometimes it's difficult to sort out the noise. People start talking about skaters being too slow or turning too fast and yet don't specify which mode they play the most because HUT certainly plays different than EASHL which plays differently than your offline franchises sliders. Your 95 overall team in HUT isn't a direct representation of how the game plays in EASHL. And your 3v3 only experience in EASHL isn't a good outlier on how to tune the game overall because man that mode plays so much different with 12 players on the ice.


    The purpose of each tuner is to improve the game, obviously. I think some recommendations get lost in all the noise from the different communities and everyone, including us, could do a better job at pinpointing what it is exactly that is the problems we are trying to fix before we try and fix them; otherwise one minor thing ends up affecting something else that wasn't intended to and it snowballs from there.

    I know this is already super off topic so sorry mods, just thought I'd chime in to an already offtopic discussion.

    If the game changers came to the official game forums they “game change” they we can get know them and communicate them with them more.

    If we don't know them by now, have to assume they couldn't care less about knowing us, except for the 2 or 3 we usually hear from here.

    Where's Pope, Ferelli, Jonlol??? They give up already?

    I remember when Ferreli said he would be on here more before the game was released. He was just a hype man to make us think they'd stick with the beta. Kid was lying.

    Also, who is Pope? And Jon lol only came here to promote his goaltending videos once a month.

    Don't remember the Pope? He had Pope is his name. Maybe Datpope or ThatPope or something along those lines. Bunny knows him. Maybe he could clarify.

    Doesn't ring a bell. At all.
  • @B-Bunny So since most of the game changers are apparently unknown with no online prescense, any chance of becoming a GM Connected game changer if a major online premise is no longer a requirement? I'm perfectly happy to have a presence on the forum about it
  • B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer
    edited November 2018
    @B-Bunny So since most of the game changers are apparently unknown with no online prescense, any chance of becoming a GM Connected game changer if a major online premise is no longer a requirement? I'm perfectly happy to have a presence on the forum about it

    They have an online presence. A lot of them even stream on twitch. They just dont post here. Truth be told, im sure theres a lot of viewers on twitch who dont visit these forums either so. Like i said its a shame more dont post here, but a lot of them are active on Twitter, twitch, and youtube. All platforms of which ill bet have many users, users that they engage with, who dont visit these forums.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    @B-Bunny So since most of the game changers are apparently unknown with no online prescense, any chance of becoming a GM Connected game changer if a major online premise is no longer a requirement? I'm perfectly happy to have a presence on the forum about it

    They have an online presence. A lot of them even stream on twitch. They just dont post here. Truth be told, im sure theres a lot of viewers on twitch who dont visit these forums either so. Like i said its a shame more dont post here, but a lot of them are active on Twitter, twitch, and youtube. All platforms of which ill bet have many users, users that they engage with, who dont visit these forums.

    They should be here on the forums too. Not many people are interested in watching them play a game and hoping their question gets or whatever answered because the streamer is probably more forcused on the game being played.
  • Is there even a list we can access with who the Gamechangers are?
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    It won't work on console because they can't push patches whenever they feel like it, they need to have it authenticated by Sony or Microsoft

    Smite patches it’s client every two weeks.

  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    @B-Bunny So since most of the game changers are apparently unknown with no online prescense, any chance of becoming a GM Connected game changer if a major online premise is no longer a requirement? I'm perfectly happy to have a presence on the forum about it

    They have an online presence. A lot of them even stream on twitch. They just dont post here. Truth be told, im sure theres a lot of viewers on twitch who dont visit these forums either so. Like i said its a shame more dont post here, but a lot of them are active on Twitter, twitch, and youtube. All platforms of which ill bet have many users, users that they engage with, who dont visit these forums.

    They should be here on the forums too. Not many people are interested in watching them play a game and hoping their question gets or whatever answered because the streamer is probably more forcused on the game being played.

    I’ll expand on that. Some NHL “Gamechangers” on Twitch just rip on packs and barley play the game at all and just do HUT collections. Their videos will say sponsored by EA. So obviously they’re just gonna do that.

    Either way, I think Gamechangers was more a PR stunt after the disaster that NHL 15 was. I say this because no matter what gets “changed”, the game will resort to the same cheese fest year in and year out.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!