EA Forums - Banner

Reverting back to previous patches

Prev13456711
I am about to make the switch to offline modes only - can someone please direct me on how to revert game to the closest tuner to the beta as possible? I would sell my game back for $30 but I bought a digital copy like a moron and now I'm stuck. I won't be playing another online mode in this game so if going offline is the only way to get my fix of playing an actual hockey game then I'm going to have to just deal with it.

Thanks

Replies

• NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Under settings, gameplay sliders. Then at the top, switch the tuner to 1.00

If you are playing offline though, you can move the sliders to anything you like as well and save your own presets.
  • I am about to make the switch to offline modes only - can someone please direct me on how to revert game to the closest tuner to the beta as possible? I would sell my game back for $30 but I bought a digital copy like a moron and now I'm stuck. I won't be playing another online mode in this game so if going offline is the only way to get my fix of playing an actual hockey game then I'm going to have to just deal with it.

Thanks

We all feel your pain game online is terrible
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Under settings, gameplay sliders. Then at the top, switch the tuner to 1.00

If you are playing offline though, you can move the sliders to anything you like as well and save your own presets.

I've been experimenting with the different tuners and I keep running into the same problem of teammate and opposing A.I. taking a lot of slashing and hooking penalties on top of other penalties. Also, the cpu team is now out hitting me 2 to 1 where as when the game launched I was perfectly competitive statistically on Allstar Full Sim.

In fact, when the game launched it was obvious within playing only a few games, that this was the best offline experience the series had ever seen. Full Sim 10 minutes periods was playing perfectly statistically. IMO, the game needed a little tweaking and balancing, but it was running beautiful with default settings. Now, I can't seem to get back to that after the latest patch or something.

I mean, I hate adjusting tuners because it always becomes a frustrating experience of evaluating the efficacy of any adjustments. I always viewed sliders as adjusting for user weaknesses more than changing the game. My point is this game was so close to perfect and I hope you're still evaluating the gameplay for offline and looking to make some adjustments?
  • NHLDev
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »

I've been experimenting with the different tuners and I keep running into the same problem of teammate and opposing A.I. taking a lot of slashing and hooking penalties on top of other penalties. Also, the cpu team is now out hitting me 2 to 1 where as when the game launched I was perfectly competitive statistically on Allstar Full Sim.

In fact, when the game launched it was obvious within playing only a few games, that this was the best offline experience the series had ever seen. Full Sim 10 minutes periods was playing perfectly statistically. IMO, the game needed a little tweaking and balancing, but it was running beautiful with default settings. Now, I can't seem to get back to that after the latest patch or something.

I mean, I hate adjusting tuners because it always becomes a frustrating experience of evaluating the efficacy of any adjustments. I always viewed sliders as adjusting for user weaknesses more than changing the game. My point is this game was so close to perfect and I hope you're still evaluating the gameplay for offline and looking to make some adjustments?

I think I saw your same post on the OS forums. Why not roll back the tuner to an earlier version? If you go prior to the stick lift tuning, that could help your cpu penalty problem if you don't feel the slider for penalties works for you.

If you go back to 1.2 or earlier, that would roll back the only hitting changes we made. I am not sure why it would change the rate for ai vs user hits though unless the majority of your hits were low speed from the back. Both ai and user use the same settings so all tuners should impact both the same.

Hope that helps.

I think I saw your same post on the OS forums. Why not roll back the tuner to an earlier version? If you go prior to the stick lift tuning, that could help your cpu penalty problem if you don't feel the slider for penalties works for you.

If you go back to 1.2 or earlier, that would roll back the only hitting changes we made. I am not sure why it would change the rate for ai vs user hits though unless the majority of your hits were low speed from the back. Both ai and user use the same settings so all tuners should impact both the same.

Hope that helps.

Well, I was playing through the different versions of the tuners with not much luck. Maybe I need a bigger sample size per tuner version to see how things average out. I'll give that a try next.
  • Well, I've played plenty of games now over all the tuners on Allstar, Full Sim.

Sorry, but while I think there are differences between tuners, there's still way too many penalties for both teams no matter what tuner set is used. Something has changed globally and the A.I. is unable to play within the new parameters.

My next step is to uninstall and see how the game plays raw. I know it won't include the day one patch, but if it's better than the current state... IDK.
  • NHLDev
    Well, I've played plenty of games now over all the tuners on Allstar, Full Sim.

Sorry, but while I think there are differences between tuners, there's still way too many penalties for both teams no matter what tuner set is used. Something has changed globally and the A.I. is unable to play within the new parameters.

My next step is to uninstall and see how the game plays raw. I know it won't include the day one patch, but if it's better than the current state... IDK.

What penalty types are you seeing the most and/or are causing the issues? We used to be called out for the ai not committing enough penalties so it is always a fine balance.

Also, for your team, it is the ai players taking the penalties or you personally?
    Well, I've played plenty of games now over all the tuners on Allstar, Full Sim.

What penalty types are you seeing the most and/or are causing the issues? We used to be called out for the ai not committing enough penalties so it is always a fine balance.

Also, for your team, it is the ai players taking the penalties or you personally?

Yeah, prior to '19 a 2.5 per game average for PPs and PKs was guaranteed. Exceeding that with default settings was rare. When '19 launched it was impressively better. Penalties may have just been a bit too high, but we hadn't let it average out over enough time.

Now, having a box score with the PP line reading 0/7 and 2/10 is the norm. I played maybe 12 games through all the sliders and they were all somewhere between 6 and 12 PPs per team and there were no outliers in the batch.

The most penalty types are slashing then hooking and they're all by the teammate A.I. or opposing A.I. I as the user maybe contribute 1 or 2 tripping penalties per game ( sometimes none).

A solution on the OS boards was to turn the slashing slider to 0. I don't want to do that because 1. slashing is part of the game; and 2. the game was playing great back in October.

As I mentioned before, Hitting was a problem, but on tuner 1.2 the stats were more evened out as they were in the beginning.
  • NHLDev
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, prior to '19 a 2.5 per game average for PPs and PKs was guaranteed. Exceeding that with default settings was rare. When '19 launched it was impressively better. Penalties may have just been a bit too high, but we hadn't let it average out over enough time.

Now, having a box score with the PP line reading 0/7 and 2/10 is the norm. I played maybe 12 games through all the sliders and they were all somewhere between 6 and 12 PPs per team and there were no outliers in the batch.

The most penalty types are slashing then hooking and they're all by the teammate A.I. or opposing A.I. I as the user maybe contribute 1 or 2 tripping penalties per game ( sometimes none).

A solution on the OS boards was to turn the slashing slider to 0. I don't want to do that because 1. slashing is part of the game; and 2. the game was playing great back in October.

As I mentioned before, Hitting was a problem, but on tuner 1.2 the stats were more evened out as they were in the beginning.

Thanks for the info. From what I can see, tuning back to 1.01 should actually fix your issue if it is slashing and hooking related as that is when we made those changes.

In future, if we do another tuner, we could look at keeping those only in the online modes where they were most intended for competitive online human vs human games and rolling them back for offline play.

It may be that we don't see enough penalties on that tuner though. If you have a chance, give it a shot and see if you still see the amount of penalties you would expect using 1.01

Also, how many minute periods do you play?
  • SzuperSkillz
    17 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    A.I. taking a lot of slashing and hooking penalties on top of other penalties.

This need to fix!! Same happens every gamemode. Be a pro you have 15-20 penalties per game. This is really problem.
    Only what you can now do is put all "stick" penalties to 0. Or you can try to 1, but it does not remove the AI bad gameplay.
    Online, you can not do nothing.

• Remember in the Beta when you bumped someone along the boards they lost a little balance and the puck would go loose like in real hockey. Now you just bounce off them and they continue with puck unhindered. If you line up a check you knock them down and they somehow get up and regain control of the puck. Game now plays just like NHL 18. How the Devs can say they only tweaked with tuners is beyond me. Bring back the Beta tuner.
  • Just have a look at NHL subreddits everyone talking about how 1.01 tuner is the best NHL gameplay ever. New tuner is just bad. Ez fix will be revert it to almighty 1.01.
  • It's absolutely beyond me why EA would release a tuner that quick after release. This is the first time in a long time that the majority enjoyed the beta and were very happy and excited.

Now the consumers are upset and have turned on EA, rightfully so. EA, go back to what was popular among the consumer, give us back what we paid hard earned money for.
  • It's not that simple guys. They have to WANT to satisfy the community first.
  • NHLDev
    edited November 2018
    It's not that simple guys. They have to WANT to satisfy the community first.

This is a ridiculous comment. How did we somehow in isolation without any feedback from any of you develop a build for the Beta that you all apparently loved if we are so detached from what the community is after?

Are you saying this on behalf of the community then?

- The community would prefer to see more tripping penalties, especially from well positioned pokes
    - The community want less differentiation between players when it comes to agility in skating
    - The community would prefer for the ai to have a bigger impact on defense in online VS and HUT games
    - The community would prefer if it was easier for a defender to bump a player off the puck after they were beat
    - The community would prefer for weak rebound goals to increase
    - The community wants the ai goalie to come out and play the puck more even when under pressure
    - The community would prefer stamina gain at whistles to be increased so they only need to use the first two lines on their team
    - The community would prefer for players to be penalized less when spamming stick lift
    - The community would prefer if the ai in EASHL would put the puck over the glass for delay of game more often
    - The community would prefer to have less control over who they are trying to pass to with their goalie
    - The community would prefer if the ai goalie would respond quicker to passes and against their momentum to stop more one timers
    - The community want to see players drop their sticks in competitive online play
    - The community wants injuries to last longer in EASHL
    - The community wants the forehand stick lift faceoff win to be slower

If the answer is yes to these, then you are right that we are out of touch with the community for sure but what led to these changes in the tuners was that we felt the community as a whole would be in a agreement with these things being improved and it aligned with our overall direction for the game as well.

There will always be subjectivity in how the results are felt. I am not sure it will ever be unanimous but that is completely different than saying that we don't want to satisfy the community or how others have said we have some other motives than creating a great, balanced game.
    It's not that simple guys. They have to WANT to satisfy the community first.

This is a ridiculous comment. How did we somehow in isolation without any feedback from any of you develop a build for the Beta that you all apparently loved if we are so detached from what the community is after?

Are you saying this on behalf of the community then?

- The community would prefer to see more tripping penalties, especially from well positioned pokes
    - The community want less differentiation between players when it comes to agility in skating
    - The community would prefer for the ai to have a bigger impact on defense in online VS and HUT games
    - The community would prefer if it was easier for a defender to bump a player off the puck after they were beat
    - The community would prefer for weak rebound goals to increase
    - The community wants the ai goalie to come out and play the puck more even when under pressure
    - The community would prefer stamina gain at whistles to be increased so they only need to use the first two lines on their team
    - The community would prefer for players to be penalized less when spamming stick lift
    - The community would prefer if the ai in EASHL would put the puck over the glass for delay of game more often
    - The community would prefer to have less control over who they are trying to pass to with their goalie
    - The community would prefer if the ai goalie would respond quicker to passes and against their momentum to stop more one timers
    - The community want to see players drop their sticks in competitive online play
    - The community wants injuries to last longer in EASHL
    - The community wants the forehand stick lift faceoff win to be slower

If the answer is yes to these, then you are right that we are out of touch with the community for sure but what led to these changes in the tuners was that we felt the community as a whole would be in a agreement with these things being improved and it aligned with our overall direction for the game as well.

There will always be subjectivity in how the results are felt. I am not sure it will ever be unanimous but that is completely different than saying that we don't want to satisfy the community or how others have said we have some other motives than creating a great, balanced game.

Fair reply indeed.

However, I have only 1 question that I seriously doubt you will or can answer.

Reverting this game closer to NHL 18, is that your in-house decision, or is that from higher up?

• Reverting this game closer to NHL 18, is that your in-house decision, or is that from higher up?

lmao come on man. Saying it's 'closer to 18' is completely subjective.
  • NHLDev
    Fair reply indeed.

However, I have only 1 question that I seriously doubt you will or can answer.

Reverting this game closer to NHL 18, is that your in-house decision, or is that from higher up?

Every year, with the current mechanics we have, we try to replicate the sport of hockey as well as we can and then make balance modifications based on the pace of game we want online and/or the current abilities of the offensive and defensive mechanics in the game.

We also take the feedback from the previous year well into account when tuning the new game, with special attention paid to pieces that aren't seen as balanced when it comes to competitive online play in our game but also makes sense to change in relation to our goals when it comes to replicating the sport.

So I am not surprised even with new hitting mechanics and new skating that parts can feel similar as the overall goals for balance and what we are trying to replicate remain the same. But the new mechanics in almost every way are better than their previous versions.

I don't agree that skating is closer to 18 at all. It is a brand new engine with a lot of changes to the input model which solved a lot of the pieces that led to complaints about skating in 18. We did increase the gap on the impact agility has on skating ability but what people felt from the blended input model in 18 vs player differentiation in skating is quite different as even the best skaters last year were impacted by the input model and the responsiveness this year, online connection aside, is far better with the variation coming from the skate model and player attributes themselves, which is a great improvement.

I do however understand what people are referring to when it comes to the low relative speed hits, even though that isn't the same either. We had tuned 18 to do what we were doing now where you shouldn't really be able to bump a player off the puck with no relative speed from behind. In our original tuning, we tried to be more aggressive both in how the unique limb tensions behaved and also trying to get the player into stumbles where they could regain control more often than just incidental contact. It was close but it did lead to too many cases where players wouldn't have been impacted as much losing the puck and not having a quick enough control gain compared to what a player can do in real life (with specific interest to those low relative speed shoves from the back). Best case scenario, we add some new stumble reactions where players keep the puck from behind for an even better look but from a balance perspective the tuning is working as intended.

Match those changes with players that are getting better and better at using the new skating, protecting the puck and you get some really good possession happening from top players. Is it too far? Possibly. And we will keep an eye on it. But overall, when we really look at it, players that get a better angle on players, even as relative speed is low are still pushing players off the puck pretty consistently so the narrative is more harsh than the reality right now and we want to continue to monitor it as it has improved the cases we were interested in improving and the changes were quite isolated.

• Reverting this game closer to NHL 18, is that your in-house decision, or is that from higher up?

Are you saying that v1.03 resembles more 19 v1.0 than it does NHl 18?

Go look at scoring videos from the beta all the way to v1.02

Then go look at NHL 18 scoring videos. The tell me which game this resembles the most. You have played 18. How can you totally disagree this game has now gotten closer to 18? The main difference here is how skating looks, and of course poke checks.

How can you totally disagree this game has now gotten closer to 18?

Because the skating engine is entirely new....