EA Forums - Banner

Throwing coin back to EA on obsolete players

wardencIyffe
31 posts Member
edited November 2018
*Sorry It seems my initial assessment was correct*

Why? In this D6 set, people who only bought the base game could finally get someone like Guy Lafleur, or Mats Sundin all of which are rated 86 ovr. Why on Earth is Chelios over 100k on xbox? When everyone can get a 93 ovr Chelios from opening 400 of your daily reward packs... yes 400 packs are alot but its a 93 for free? This card shouldnt be more than a quick sell.

This market is so backwards sometimes... Can anyone give me a good reason why this card has any value at all. Plus you know the 93 ovr will have three synergies versus two. Next best question is why would EA even make this a thing?
Post edited by wardencIyffe on

Replies

• mhart123
    173 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    *Sorry It seems my initial assessment was correct*

Why? In this D6 set, people who only bought the base game could finally get someone like Guy Lafleur, or Mats Sundin all of which are rated 86 ovr. Why on Earth is Chelios over 100k on xbox? When everyone can get a 93 ovr Chelios from opening 400 of your daily reward packs... yes 400 packs are alot but its a 93 for free? This card shouldnt be more than a quick sell.

This market is so backwards sometimes... Can anyone give me a good reason why this card has any value at all. Plus you know the 93 ovr will have three synergies versus two. Next best question is why would EA even make this a thing?

Think a little.

Even in theory, if you opened three log in reward packs every day so far, you would STILL be two months away from that Chelios legend card.

Reality is, most people get one or two log in rewards per day so that Chelios will be in their team somewhere around summer...
  • Because Chelios is one of the sexiest beasts to ever hit the ice - that is why!
  • sounds like people are actually wasting coin on this. its a shame if youre right about that summer time estimate. by spring time even that 93 card will be obsolete, tots cards will be out by then and they've have like 5 or 6 synergies in the past couple years

heavy heart for the ones spending money on obsolete players ill pour one out for ya. dont bite the bait so soon, save your coin and resources till at least February

• Armakuni_k
    26 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    sounds like people are actually wasting coin on this. its a shame if youre right about that summer time estimate. by spring time even that 93 card will be obsolete, tots cards will be out by then and they've have like 5 or 6 synergies in the past couple years

heavy heart for the ones spending money on obsolete players ill pour one out for ya. dont bite the bait so soon, save your coin and resources till at least February

”Heavy heart for the ones” Ease up, maybe someone likes a player enough to pay a little extra. I’ve been a Blackhawk fan for 25 years and that makes Chelly worth more coins for me.

Edited for content. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Simple math
    You need 5 gold collectible to get 1 card.
    They go for 20k each at best....
  • wardencIyffe
    31 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I think hardtofind1 missed the point here. Along with many others.

In a long dragged out way. Im saying people who decided to spend coin or their collectibles on Chelios (specifically) were simply idiotic no matter what your reasoning is.

Everyone has access to a 93 overall Chelios card for free as long as you open 400 daily reward packs. Yeah its a ton of packs, but throwing coin out the window makes absolute no sense at all.

@hardtofin1 - my point was you'll probably be able to pick up that same 86 Chelios card for like 25k in like two or three months.

The set rewards in Hut 18 and ways to earn them were sublime. This year they have obviously watered it down a ton and made it harder to attain collectibles. So when I saw that they put in an obsolete card in this Digital 6 set I was pretty disappointing but to see people are actually spending on this was more shocking to me.

My speculation is that it might encourage EA to make more sets that are virtually obsolete. Just a thought before people continue to thrown coin at anything

• Look, ultimately I shouldn't care about what other people do with their crap. I'll leave it at that.

I just hope EA doesnt give us any more of this crap moving forward.
  • mhart123
    173 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I think you are the one who missed my point. Spending ~100k on Chelios now is a lot better option for many, than just waiting MONTHS for that legend card. And actually, the card is tradeable so there is possibility that it goes for more money in couple weeks so it can work as an investment aswell.

tl;dr: No one is throwing coins out of window by buying or doing the Chelios set. Doing a Middleton would be stupid though.
  • I mean if you honestly 100% believed it could be an investment why not buy all the Chelios cards now since theyre so cheap and sit on them until they double? Sounds like bullet proof plan to me.

Yeah, once team of the year cards come out and they have like 6 synergies and 95+ ratings.
  • wardencIyffe
    31 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    The only Hut cards to ever make great profit return were the HUT 17 Movemeber cards (which are now Evolution Cards) This was before synergies. So you best believe those cards got me millions.

No NHL Hut card has been the same since those original Movember cards came out, market wise.

So please lets not pretend an 86 card with 2 synergies is gonna make you bank

-

I do understand for some people it may take longer to get that card. I'm saying by the time you @mhart123 get that Legend card and try to sell that 86, you'd be hard pressed to get someone to even glance at that card because the market will be flooded with Superior cards for more arguable prices than what your Chelios has to offer. And thats the way all these Hut Fut Mut game modes behave.

Unlike the Alumni Cards, the 86 Chelios is not required to complete any sets. Another possible reason for it to decrease in value over time.
    Post edited by wardencIyffe on
  • lol, dude

you've 100% lost coin if you intend to replace your 86 Chelios with the 93 legend. no way about it. like not even worth arguing
  • Look people are going to spend their coins on whatever they want. If you think the card is a waste, that’s your opinion. Someone else might really want it.
    Look, ultimately I shouldn't care about what other people do with their crap. I'll leave it at that.

This is the only sensible thing you have said, I think you should just leave it at that.
  • mhart123
    173 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    On a scale one to ten, how badly did I hit you in some childhood memory or something? Take it easy man.

I have actually been trading with special cards since the start, and buying cards when they are out of packs and selling them later for more actually works, you just have to know how to do it.

I have years of experience with this from FIFA series and while the market is slightly different in NHL, the basics are still the same.

Buying all Chelios cards huh? Well not bad idea, but I think I don't have enough for that. Buy 10-20, well that actually is another story. That's how you make coins.
    Post edited by mhart123 on
  • why does it matter how someone spend their coins?

i'm using my Collectables on Legend sets so i have no interest in the Digital 6 sets. i have Flower from buying the game and only Nifty fits my club's lineup but i used my Rask for a Gold Collectable.

the worse part of the Auction House is that everything costs the same and the bidding system is not designed to help the buyer or seller. Either EA or fake accounts dominate what's available, if real users were posting items there'd be a greater range of prices. more people should be undercutting the market and they're not. the Auction House is only slightly better than buying packs because you know what you are buying.
  • why does it matter how someone spend their coins?

i'm using my Collectables on Legend sets so i have no interest in the Digital 6 sets. i have Flower from buying the game and only Nifty fits my club's lineup but i used my Rask for a Gold Collectable.

the worse part of the Auction House is that everything costs the same and the bidding system is not designed to help the buyer or seller. Either EA or fake accounts dominate what's available, if real users were posting items there'd be a greater range of prices. more people should be undercutting the market and they're not. the Auction House is only slightly better than buying packs because you know what you are buying.

Talk about tinfoil hats! :smiley:

The AH is horrible to use and to get used to, but once you figure it out it works just like any other market. There actually is some undercutting on some degree, but people take advantage of it quite fast.

But all the base cards tend to be on the same price category, and that is determined by how much gold collectibles go for.

Gold rare prices and gold collectible prices go hand to hand.
  • I’ll throw something out there. This is the first year I’m not completing the sets to obtain 99 Gretzky or lemiux. It just didnt make any sense to me. I just bought both off the auction house as it’s way cheaper and much quicker. Yea there were a few of the other legends I wanted that are hardly available on the ah but I still didn’t cave in.
  • mhart123 wrote: »
    why does it matter how someone spend their coins?

Talk about tinfoil hats! :smiley:

The AH is horrible to use and to get used to, but once you figure it out it works just like any other market. There actually is some undercutting on some degree, but people take advantage of it quite fast.

But all the base cards tend to be on the same price category, and that is determined by how much gold collectibles go for.

Gold rare prices and gold collectible prices go hand to hand.

LOL. possibly, i'm skeptical by nature and a cynic by experience but the prices being the same would be price fixing in the real world. it's like coke and pepsi aternating sale prices every other week. when i search the market i'm seeing the same names listing the same items and the largest fluctuations are items being way overpriced and i'm thinking they're looking for trades and not sales.

i dig it that there is no penalty for not selling your items so hoarding them at similar prices won't have too big an effect on the seller. and it's not like i'm not buying items. i put in a few dozen bids every morning and 'win' a couple a day so i'm making my quota.

i do wish we could get some non-NHL arenas and official IIHF sweaters so i can wast my coin on those.
  • EA_Roger
    1482 posts EA Community Manager
    Look people are going to spend their coins on whatever they want. If you think the card is a waste, that’s your opinion. Someone else might really want it.
    Look, ultimately I shouldn't care about what other people do with their crap. I'll leave it at that.

I like this statement and I'm closing down this thread with it.

This is addressed to a few people in this thread. You are all free to have different opinions & debate them here however you need to be mindful of other player's and respect the fact that they can have a different stance than yours. Your opinions aren't absolute, the forums allows you to showcase your viewpoint not throw it out as a statement to diminish other people.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!