EA Forums - Banner

Inching closer and closer back to NHL 18

Each tuner we have gotten has made this game feel more and more unplayable and exploited. I feel in the majority to think that the first tuner in the beta was the best build of NHL 19. I still remember playing the beta and having the most fun I've had in an nhl game since old gen. The skating felt smooth and quick yet balanced with the small shoves that could be delivered by defenders. I could beat you with speed or out muscle you with strength.

All that has changed. I am now just as frustrated playing this game as nhl 18. It's bad enough, that this fancy new skating engine is not keeping me interested. I mainly play defence in eashl and with poke checking and stick lifting already a challenge to master. The small shoves and hits in the corner I miss the most. It is literally back to NHL 18 where if i tap the RS just to shove my guy will push his hands out yet not actually create contact with my opponent.

On top of all this the goalies are back to NHL 18. I don't understand why they had to nerf them into the ground. Sure they were hard to score on before but my goodness all the goals now are back to these three

-Cut inside in the high slot shoot short side
- Backhand forehand backhand breakaway
- Cut inside holding backhand shoot short side breakaway

I enjoyed the goalies being tough to score on because you had to make a decent play to open up a one timer or shot from the slot. But no, we've listened to all the whining of how hard it is to score and basically made the goalies pylons. I enjoyed seeing penalty shots in eashl being 50/50. Players actually tried different ways to score.

EA Sports please. I hate to say it but stop listening to the community on gameplay changes. Only listen when it's a bug or glitch. The game was SO GOOD in the beta after that first poke check tuner. Please just restart the gameplay tuner back to v1.00. Have some confidence on your product, not the whining of a "I want everything to be easy" community.

Replies

• Couldn't of said it any better, exactly how I feel. Goalies are now like minor league goalies, they couldn't stop a beach ball on short side shots. Skating feels slow and puck pickups are a problem again.

So stupid to go back to NHL 18, they didn't even give the game a month and a half before making drastic changes that only players who were not wiling to adapt to NHL calibre goalies and team play asked for.
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Couldn't of said it any better, exactly how I feel. Goalies are now like minor league goalies, they couldn't stop a beach ball on short side shots. Skating feels slow and puck pickups are a problem again.

So stupid to go back to NHL 18, they didn't even give the game a month and a half before making drastic changes that only players who were not wiling to adapt to NHL calibre goalies and team play asked for.

You can thank some of the game changer streamers for this game becoming trash complaining and whining that it was to hard to score
  • So on the whole, we'd be better off without gamechangers? Gee...

Anyhow, I don't much play drop-ins these days, but when I do, it seems the connection is less laggy than in my club games. Even with people apparently from all over the world? The skating seems closer to beta too in drop-ins for some reason, probably because there's less lag? I think lag is our enemy number 1 (others in top three being DRE & tuners from heck).

Now how can it be that there's less lag in a drop-in game with international cast of players compared to our club games where even the opponent is local? Our (and the opps) connections would really have to be super slow, and I don't think that is the case? Of course, I don't know what kind of connections our opponents happen to have. Or how are drop-in servers different from club ones?

What's going on with club servers, I am getting increasingly frustrated with them. 4 games out of 5 are really laggy.
  • Dude you're not kidding. The skating is awesome and I love it. CHEL is a cool addition. But that's about it. Honestly, in the offline modes, NHL 18 was exponentially better, at least towards the end. I've had to deal with my game crashing inexplicably, I've already had to delete all of my custom rosters since when I merged the update, it CORRUPTED THE FILE and I had to spend an entire day re-creating players, teams, and updating the player ratings that I thought were inaccurate. Since the newest patch, I had to redo almost all of my sliders. I had the gameplay dialed in where I wanted it, and now I'm getting 12-15 penalties per game for both teams with the sliders way down. In a franchise mode game yesterday, I was outshooting Columbus 19-2 after the first, which was ridiculous for one, and after the second, I was outshooting them 35-9 and it was STILL 0-0, after 2 breakaways and quality scoring chances.

CHEL is getting ridiculous too. The bigger classes are insanely OP'd, and playing as a smaller, speedy forward doesn't seem to offer any kind of counterbalance like it would in real life. You basically just get nailed, lose the puck, lay down for 10 seconds, and get scored on. Not only that, it ALWAYS seems to lag during really important moments. I was on a run one night and had won like 5 games in a row, and up 3 goals on the other two guys, and it just got really laggy and I ended up losing a game that was seemingly in the bag.
  • DJDude123 wrote: »
    ...Sure they were hard to score on before but my goodness all the goals now are back to these three

so you're saying the goals being scored in this video game are the same as in real life?

• DJDude123 wrote: »
    ...Sure they were hard to score on before but my goodness all the goals now are back to these three

so you're saying the goals being scored in this video game are the same as in real life?

I Wasn't aware that NHL goalies (greatest goalies in the world) let in short side goals with no screen from the same spot multiple times in one game. Don't believe I've ever seen that in real life NHL.

You watch hockey and you always hear "if you shoot from that far out with no screen the goalie will stop it every time", which is true, the goalies look like swiss cheese right now.
    DJDude123 wrote: »

I Wasn't aware that NHL goalies (greatest goalies in the world) let in short side goals with no screen from the same spot multiple times in one game. Don't believe I've ever seen that in real life NHL.

You watch hockey and you always hear "if you shoot from that far out with no screen the goalie will stop it every time", which is true, the goalies look like swiss cheese right now.

Tyler Hall

Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Ben Street

but yeah, whatever.

Tyler Hall

Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Ben Street

but yeah, whatever.

Yeah I see what you are saying. But how often does that go in on an NHL goalie? 95% of the time? Cause according to EA and you it must. I'm unsure why you would bother passing in the NHL if it's that easy to score and it goes in 95% of the time.

• Here's over nine minutes worth of goals from center ice. If these were going in let's say 5% ( considering the difference between real NHL shooting percentage and EA shooting percentage I think that's a reasonable inflation ) of the time in EA NHL you'd be OK with that?

• ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I dont know how many times people have to bring up the fact the latest tuners are trash. Where is EA getting the feedback from? Game changer members? How can they be so disconnected with what the fans want?

How is it possible to go from the amazing beta gameplay to this?
  • Rando point..and I’m not advocating cheese. However..I’ve started playing with the camera angles Low, High, and Fixed, the awareness is a little restrictive, but the game feels faster and much more fun.(despite the camera occasionally going crazy). Anyway, this perspective allows me to see if the goalies are a little out of position and take advantage.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

Tyler Hall

Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Ben Street

but yeah, whatever.

TAYLOR Hall's shot comes off Bobrosky's glove and trickles into the net. Bobrosky was also down on the ice way too early and it looks like he's kind of being screened. Also he's not having the greatest of seasons so far.

Same with Kotkaniemi's goal. Holtby goes down on his knees way too early giving him all the room in the world to roof it. In Holtby's defense, I don't think he was expecting the shot but anticipating a pass which may have factored into it.

As for Ben Street's tally, even the commentators say it: That's a BAD goal given up by Antti Rantaa. It's the kind of goal a bad AHL Rookie Goalie will give up in a lesser league.

In every case, it's a bad goal given up by mostly struggling goalies. I can tell you what though: they didn't give up another goal like that since. In this game it's not uncommon to see the same type of goal go past the netminder several times PER game.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    In this game it's not uncommon to see the same type of goal go past the netminder several times PER game.

If that happens several times PER game - you have a lot of work to do on defence.

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    In this game it's not uncommon to see the same type of goal go past the netminder several times PER game.

If that happens several times PER game - you have a lot of work to do on defence.

There’s a reason the defense weren’t scrambling to block these shots...these aren’t prime scoring chances (although they are below the dots) and the defense properly let the goalie take the shot. These are all bad/fluke goals that I personally would like to mitigate as much as possible in an online environment.

I don’t disagree with you that people need to adapt and shut the shot down if it’s going to go in 2-3 times a game if they want to be a competitive player online, but I disagree with the idea of these shots going in 2-4 times a game. It’s easy to find the 3 examples of these shots going in...it’s hard to find the previous 97 examples that were saved.

If we want this game to play “realistic” (subjective term but there are stats that can help us) I don’t think we’d see 2-4 of these goals per game regardless of the defense played as there shouldn’t be defense played on these shots. They are bad angle shots where you need to trust your goalie. Obviously you won’t mitigate 100% of them which is fine, people have to realize there will be fluke goals (take the three videos previously posted for example) but we shouldn’t have a community-wide problem with an abundance of these goals.

I think we have to define the argument here to get anywhere. Are you suggesting the game is close to perfect and that people need to get better at defense because they’re not denying enough outside the dot shots lol? I’d lean more towards “the game has the problem” side than the “get good” side when it comes to outside the dot shots scoring too much.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    ..and I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you pesky complainers.

3Kb8FFP_d.jpg

And it really does need to heard. Will the peeps at EA listen? Probably not.