EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - HUT Deep dive


Andrew Marks HUT Producer and Nicholas Shewchuk Live Content Producer discuss HUT in NHL 20.
Check it out here.

Silence is infuriating

Prev13
BOSTONRANGER_OG
168 posts Member
edited November 2018
This game has a ton of issues due to awful tuners and yet, the developers are no where to be found.

No word on future updates.
No communication with the community.
No reasoning behind the awful changes.

I can only speak for eashl 3v3:

I think it's safe to say mostly everyone agrees that defense is completely broken and offense is extremely overpowered in regards to skating and the weak, repetitive goals that go in majority of the time.

The current state of the game has never been farther from simulation a real life hockey game. You can't poke, you can't check, you can't lift the stick.... But you can skate around for minutes at a time spinning and gliding in circles never losing possession. You can walk in flick up and get the same weak rebound over and over again. There is no possible way any of the Devs play this game in its current state. And if they do, and they actually enjoy it and are proud of it, then just cancel this series because we are better off with 0 hockey games if it means we only get this cheap imitation.

Tell me how ANY of this promotes team play? Hint...it doesn't.

{EA_Lanna: Title renamed, ALL CAPS removed aswell as rude remarks per the forum rules}
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Replies

  • jrago73
    234 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    This game has a ton of issues due to awful tuners and yet, the developers are no where to be found.

    No word on future updates.
    No communication with the community.
    No reasoning behind the awful changes.

    I can only speak for eashl 3v3:

    I think it's safe to say mostly everyone agrees that defense is completely broken and offense is extremely overpowered in regards to skating and the weak, repetitive goals that go in majority of the time.

    The current state of the game has never been farther from simulation a real life hockey game. You can't poke, you can't check, you can't lift the stick.... But you can skate around for minutes at a time spinning and gliding in circles never losing possession. You can walk in flick up and get the same weak rebound over and over again. There is no possible way any of the Devs play this game in its current state. And if they do, and they actually enjoy it and are proud of it, then just cancel this series because we are better off with 0 hockey games if it means we only get this cheap imitation.

    Tell me how ANY of this promotes team play? Hint...it doesn't.

    {EA_Lanna: Title renamed, ALL CAPS removed aswell as rude remarks per the forum rules}

    I disagree with 2 of your 3 points.

    The devs have been communicating with us and explaining their awful changes in a couple other threads: Dmen nerfs causing them to play as forwards, and just like that the optimism is gone.

    As to your 3rd point, they seem satisfied with the changes they have made even if most of us here don't seem to agree with them or at the very least want to wait a bit before making more changes.

    {EA_Lanna: Edited to update quote}
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer
    edited November 2018
    This game has a ton of issues due to awful tuners and yet, the developers are no where to be found.

    No word on future updates.
    No communication with the community.
    No reasoning behind the awful changes.

    I can only speak for eashl 3v3:

    I think it's safe to say mostly everyone agrees that defense is completely broken and offense is extremely overpowered in regards to skating and the weak, repetitive goals that go in majority of the time.

    The current state of the game has never been farther from simulation a real life hockey game. You can't poke, you can't check, you can't lift the stick.... But you can skate around for minutes at a time spinning and gliding in circles never losing possession. You can walk in flick up and get the same weak rebound over and over again. There is no possible way any of the Devs play this game in its current state. And if they do, and they actually enjoy it and are proud of it, then just cancel this series because we are better off with 0 hockey games if it means we only get this cheap imitation.

    Tell me how ANY of this promotes team play? Hint...it doesn't.

    {EA_Lanna: Title renamed, ALL CAPS removed aswell as rude remarks per the forum rules}

    https://www.gameinformer.com/the-sports-desk/2018/11/12/whats-going-on-with-nhl-19

    I think you need to do a little more research. There's a lot more going on than just on these boards.

    {EA_Lanna: Edited to update quote}
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • you're playing 3s, and then basically complaining that its geared more towards offense than defense....

    go play any competitive 6s and I think you'll find that defense is just fine. is it possible that some of your frustrations stem from the mode you're playing?
  • you're playing 3s, and then basically complaining that its geared more towards offense than defense....

    go play any competitive 6s and I think you'll find that defense is just fine. is it possible that some of your frustrations stem from the mode you're playing?

    I think this is a significant part of the current turmoil too. 1's, 3's, 6's and hut/vs play so different you almost need 3 sets of tuners but I doubt the dev team can sink the resources into that, if they even agreed.
  • FatKidd5151
    93 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I play hut and I get penalized for not even touching them. The Devs want video of it, why? If they just played the game in those game modes, they would see the stuff we see. Playing it on rookie to superstar there’s problems. Legends? My favorite is when the ai goes into seizures to escape my checks or poke checks. That’s totally normal in hockey, anybody notice the turning bug or it’s just normal? I was gonna post all these videos today, but no. Why should I do that for, they really don’t care!! If you need video and ask the community for it, a rational thinking person is gonna think. That you don’t play you’re own game!!
  • Sinbin
    1280 posts Member
    I play hut and I get penalized for not even touching them. The Devs want video of it, why? If they just played the game in those game modes, they would see the stuff we see. Playing it on rookie to superstar there’s problems. Legends? My favorite is when the ai goes into seizures to escape my checks or poke checks. That’s totally normal in hockey, anybody notice the turning bug or it’s just normal? I was gonna post all these videos today, but no. Why should I do that for, they really don’t care!! If you need video and ask the community for it, a rational thinking person is gonna think. That you don’t play you’re own game!!

    They want videos because not everyone plays the same way. This post says the devs are nowhere to be seen, then you say they are to be seen and want videos, but, no, you're going to make things worse by not showing videos even when you already have them. If you want things to change, be part of the solution. Don't add to the problem. Ben has been here every day responding to people. It's incredibly obvious they play their own game. Quit being toxic and start being constructive. That will help make the changes you want rather than complaining.
  • you're playing 3s, and then basically complaining that its geared more towards offense than defense....

    go play any competitive 6s and I think you'll find that defense is just fine. is it possible that some of your frustrations stem from the mode you're playing?

    The more competitive 6s games I play the more I find myself in agreement.

    I certainly don't think the game is perfect, but it's not the mess it looks like in a 3s game.

    Fixing net battles would go a long way to tightening this game up.
  • LeFury_27
    201 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    "If people on both sides hate us, it means we have a perfectly balanced game"

    I'm confused by this one and a little angry, because if you read this forum or facebook, twitter, reddit, youtube, the 1.02 and 1.03 tuners is a 10-1 ratio for people who hate it and want the beta tuner back.

    I've stopped playing because I can no longer stomach the short side goals. It's embarrassing that it's back in the game.
  • you're playing 3s, and then basically complaining that its geared more towards offense than defense....

    go play any competitive 6s and I think you'll find that defense is just fine. is it possible that some of your frustrations stem from the mode you're playing?

    *super like post

    To the guy who plays 3s, have you seen what NHL hockey players do when they play 3s?

    Talk about a vast difference of play compared to 6s. They essentially play keep away and the only time they turn the puck over is when they shoot, or make an errant pass, otherwise, it is extremely difficult to steal the pick from them or knock them. Off the puck.

    I will agree on the rebounds though. I can defend them all day in club when we don't have 6s, but geez is it boring as hell.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    I play hut and I get penalized for not even touching them. The Devs want video of it, why? If they just played the game in those game modes, they would see the stuff we see. Playing it on rookie to superstar there’s problems. Legends? My favorite is when the ai goes into seizures to escape my checks or poke checks. That’s totally normal in hockey, anybody notice the turning bug or it’s just normal? I was gonna post all these videos today, but no. Why should I do that for, they really don’t care!! If you need video and ask the community for it, a rational thinking person is gonna think. That you don’t play you’re own game!!

    They want videos because not everyone plays the same way. This post says the devs are nowhere to be seen, then you say they are to be seen and want videos, but, no, you're going to make things worse by not showing videos even when you already have them. If you want things to change, be part of the solution. Don't add to the problem. Ben has been here every day responding to people. It's incredibly obvious they play their own game. Quit being toxic and start being constructive. That will help make the changes you want rather than complaining.

    I noticed you didn’t say anything about the seizure escapes of the ai or the turning bug. Apparently it only happens on my copy of the game.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    This game has a ton of issues due to awful tuners and yet, the developers are no where to be found.

    No word on future updates.
    No communication with the community.
    No reasoning behind the awful changes.

    I can only speak for eashl 3v3:

    I think it's safe to say mostly everyone agrees that defense is completely broken and offense is extremely overpowered in regards to skating and the weak, repetitive goals that go in majority of the time.

    The current state of the game has never been farther from simulation a real life hockey game. You can't poke, you can't check, you can't lift the stick.... But you can skate around for minutes at a time spinning and gliding in circles never losing possession. You can walk in flick up and get the SAME weak rebound OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I'm sorry but are these Devs not embarrassed? There is no possible way any of them actually play this game in its current state. And if they do, and they actually enjoy it and are proud of it, then just cancel this series because we are better off with 0 hockey games if it means we only get this cheap imitation.

    Tell me how ANY of this promotes team play? Hint...it doesn't.

    https://www.gameinformer.com/the-sports-desk/2018/11/12/whats-going-on-with-nhl-19

    I think you need to do a little more research. There's a lot more going on than just on these boards.
    Thanks for posting that article b-bunny
  • Socair
    1690 posts Game Changer
    NHLDev responded to the OP specifically on Friday https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/comment/2016370#Comment_2016370
    All the threads they’ve commented in have “Developer” in the header and NHLDev was very active here last Thursday/Friday answering questions about the tuners.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Socair
    1690 posts Game Changer
    edited November 2018
    Sinbin wrote: »
    I play hut and I get penalized for not even touching them. The Devs want video of it, why? If they just played the game in those game modes, they would see the stuff we see. Playing it on rookie to superstar there’s problems. Legends? My favorite is when the ai goes into seizures to escape my checks or poke checks. That’s totally normal in hockey, anybody notice the turning bug or it’s just normal? I was gonna post all these videos today, but no. Why should I do that for, they really don’t care!! If you need video and ask the community for it, a rational thinking person is gonna think. That you don’t play you’re own game!!

    They want videos because not everyone plays the same way. This post says the devs are nowhere to be seen, then you say they are to be seen and want videos, but, no, you're going to make things worse by not showing videos even when you already have them. If you want things to change, be part of the solution. Don't add to the problem. Ben has been here every day responding to people. It's incredibly obvious they play their own game. Quit being toxic and start being constructive. That will help make the changes you want rather than complaining.

    I noticed you didn’t say anything about the seizure escapes of the ai or the turning bug. Apparently it only happens on my copy of the game.
    I haven’t seen anything like a “seizure” and don’t know what you mean by “turning bug”. That’s why videos help.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • FatKidd5151
    93 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Socair wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    I play hut and I get penalized for not even touching them. The Devs want video of it, why? If they just played the game in those game modes, they would see the stuff we see. Playing it on rookie to superstar there’s problems. Legends? My favorite is when the ai goes into seizures to escape my checks or poke checks. That’s totally normal in hockey, anybody notice the turning bug or it’s just normal? I was gonna post all these videos today, but no. Why should I do that for, they really don’t care!! If you need video and ask the community for it, a rational thinking person is gonna think. That you don’t play you’re own game!!

    They want videos because not everyone plays the same way. This post says the devs are nowhere to be seen, then you say they are to be seen and want videos, but, no, you're going to make things worse by not showing videos even when you already have them. If you want things to change, be part of the solution. Don't add to the problem. Ben has been here every day responding to people. It's incredibly obvious they play their own game. Quit being toxic and start being constructive. That will help make the changes you want rather than complaining.

    I noticed you didn’t say anything about the seizure escapes of the ai or the turning bug. Apparently it only happens on my copy of the game.
    I haven’t seen anything like a “seizure” and don’t know what you mean by “turning bug”. That’s why videos help.

    That’s actually my own team, you don’t play against the ai in hut?

  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    "If people on both sides hate us, it means we have a perfectly balanced game"


    That's not at all what Ben said.
    If people are asking for things on both sides, you’re actually balanced, which is a good thing.

    What he actually said makes a lot of sense.

    The problem is that the forums, reddit & twitter are all skewed towards one side of any particular contention with the latest tuners - the public doesn't get to see the other side. These platforms tend to amplify the negative side of ANY debate.

    You don't get to see the 'other' side of the debate because it's drowned out by overzealous members of the community who think that their opinion is the only opinion that matters. Anyone who disagrees is a 'shill' or 'doesn't know hockey'.

  • LeFury_27
    201 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I Guess it's hard for us not to be negative when you bring back toxic behavior of short side cheese goals and puck ragging in both ends of the ice. :smile:

    Because you know, a lot of us bought the game because either of those things weren't in it this year and they kind of screwed us by making us think they removed it for good.

    But it's fine kidshow, defend EA on this one like they didn't sell us a different game than what we have today.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    This game has a ton of issues due to awful tuners and yet, the developers are no where to be found.

    No word on future updates.
    No communication with the community.
    No reasoning behind the awful changes.

    I can only speak for eashl 3v3:

    I think it's safe to say mostly everyone agrees that defense is completely broken and offense is extremely overpowered in regards to skating and the weak, repetitive goals that go in majority of the time.

    The current state of the game has never been farther from simulation a real life hockey game. You can't poke, you can't check, you can't lift the stick.... But you can skate around for minutes at a time spinning and gliding in circles never losing possession. You can walk in flick up and get the SAME weak rebound OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I'm sorry but are these Devs not embarrassed? There is no possible way any of them actually play this game in its current state. And if they do, and they actually enjoy it and are proud of it, then just cancel this series because we are better off with 0 hockey games if it means we only get this cheap imitation.

    Tell me how ANY of this promotes team play? Hint...it doesn't.

    https://www.gameinformer.com/the-sports-desk/2018/11/12/whats-going-on-with-nhl-19

    I think you need to do a little more research. There's a lot more going on than just on these boards.

    It's the same fluff we've been given on these boards. It's just more confirmation that they don't have enough proper testing in their games (like we've all assumed in the past). They struggle noticing changes which have plenty of video evidence to back up, but because they can't replicate it they blame us for "feeling that way".

    Their servers are trash, yet they think because the game plays great for them, they refuse to get better, reliable ones.

    It's obvious the hitting is awful now, players turn like trucks unless they're near 90's for stats, etc. People don't want to play defense anymore.

    6s is honestly the only bet to have fun in this game, because it requires a human goalie and teamwork to still defend, but even in those mode it's just traps and collapse defense to be successful. Good puck moving defensemen were important because turnovers for holding it too long existed, now it doesn't matter nearly as much. Bums on defense can now get by, one man shows are the best players in the world again, and playmakers' roles have diminished significantly.

    In VS modes you score more goals without getting the goaltender to move laterally with one timers than you do with just cutting in and shooting short side or doing the slapshot from far angles.

    Most of the stuff in that article (a good 90%) are discussed in these boards. Same thing is being discussed everywhere else. The only thing that isn't is how the Gamechangers and streamers are whining about how the game was too tough to play because now they need hockey sense as opposed to abusing game mechanics to have skill.
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    I Guess it's hard for us not to be negative when you bring back toxic behavior of short side cheese goals and puck ragging in both ends of the ice. :smile:

    Because you know, a lot of us bought the game because either of those things weren't in it this year and they kind of screwed us by making us think they removed it for good.

    But it's fine kidshow, defend EA on this one like they didn't sell us a different game than what we have today.

    All 'cheese' goals can be defended.

    In my opinion, there are no goals in this game (so far this year) that can be considered 'glitch' goals.

    There are definitely high percentage scoring areas that are commonly used by players above a certain skill level. It takes high-level defending in order to prevent those players from obtaining time and space in those areas.

    When those goals go in - goals you've seen thousands of times - it's infuriating yes, but in no way is it a 'glitch' goal.

    I think Ben is right in that some complaints are the result of the 'new game' wearing off and people generally facing tougher competition.

    Again - not saying the game is perfect - but I'm not sure why this community is so quick to disregard his comments.

  • I thought the problem was stick lift fights in the corners(it stick lifts automatically), poke checking penalties x1000 and checking from behind. Why did everything else have to change for? You’re telling me that you couldn’t do one without the other?

    Like I said before, I paid for one game and now this isn’t the game I paid for. I cycle the puck for great chances, beautiful goals and now it’s just get to the “high quality spots” for that cheesy goal that takes now hockey iq to do. Seems to me the only happy ones are the “game changers” HaHaHa what joke, what really makes them game changers?
  • Yeah the "high scoring areas "cough cough, cheese goal area" can be defended, however it is absolute stupidity to think that it's fun having to defend that the whole game because it works so easily.

    Most times that should never go in, they are NHL GOALIES!! Not going bar down or anything and no screen like what?

    It's just simply not fun hockey to play someone who just cuts in off the boards and tries to shoot short side over and over and over because it's more than likely to go in with one slip up on defense. Fail to block it or get a stick in the way and it's probably going in the net.

    That's tough competition, real fun and exciting game play. And maybe I'm unlucky but 70% of the games I get lately is cheese goals, and it's stupid. I did it twice to one guy yesterday and he called me a homophobic slur for doing a "glitch goal" so yeah I'd say it makes people angry.

    Competition isn't tougher, it's just ez game to score now. In fact it's hard not to not score.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!