EA Forums - Banner

Passing

Replies

• FatKidd5151
    98 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Funny how what I said and showed proof of means absolutely nothing!! If I tap the pass button, it should go to the closest guy. If I hold it down it should go to the farthest guy. That’s common sense, this is hilarious. What else do I gotta do?

That isn't actually how the mechanic works. Holding the pass down increases the requested power but you can still make a hard pass to the near player. That is sort of what I was talking about in the other replies.

Again nothing about inputs, the second video I purposely put up there to counter your input theory. With how you explained it with the inputs, that second video should of went to the short guy. These dudes come in and hijack my thread, but bring up a very interesting point. Now you’re saying because I tapped the pass button it’s gonna go to the farthest guy and if I hold it down it’s gonna go to the short guy, but very fast? That’s how the mechanic works and nobody thinks that’s a bad idea? I play to relax, you’re game doesn’t do that when basic common sense is radical thinking [Edited by - @EA_Roger ]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • FatKidd5151
    98 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I think assists are SEXY and I like dropping dimes!! I’m sorry if it drives me up a wall because the pass didn’t go where I was aiming it. You asked for videos, I gave you videos and this passing craps been going on for years!! You screwed me and everybody else with the legends. Unless you play hut and get lucky or buy one. I can’t be the only one that feels this way and ACTUALLY sees what I’m talking about with the crappy passing lol
  • I'd like passing to be more inaccurate and not so hard, namely in the case of back hand passes... you shouldn't be able to make laser like long passes with it, should you? And yet it seems to be overly used in this game.
  • To hard ? Nah. If anything they are a bit soft requiring a longer trigger press than I’d like to get enough zip on the puck. If anything I’d say the passing in 6v6 is more like something you see playing shinny than a AA/AAA //prep school // d1 etc experience.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • One thing I really noticed during my trial offline is that passing offline is a lot more inconsistent (in the 3 games I played anyways) offline as opposed to online. For whatever reason I felt that there was a slight delay to the point of releasing the puck and where my analog was aimed as opposed to when I released r2.

What it seems would happen is I would press down r2 with my aim at the guy I wanted, I'd release r2 and then automatically aim my left stick to set up where I wanted my receiver to skate to once he got the puck but upon doing that, it seemed as if after I let go of r2 the pass would take the input of the milliseconds after of where I wanted my receiver to go and it would apply that to the pass. For example, say I want to pass directly to the right, but I want my receiver after he gets the pass to skate diagonally up and to the right. Well after I let go of r2 with my stick aimed to the right, the puck would travel diagonally to another player across the zone up and to the right rather than going to the guy directly to my right. It happened multiple times in a couple of my games.

Also tried looking at the sticks in the replay and it can confirm my idea behind this. You'll see I aim at the one guy and then it snaps to the other guy last second on the passing trainer thing and then the pass goes to the guy it snaps to.

No idea if it's a pass assist thing. I don't think it is cuz online my pass assist is at 50-65 but offline I believe it sits at 33 if I remember correctly.

It looks like your videos though. So I definitely understand why your videos look like user error.
  • All my passing videos in this thread are online hut challenges. This is the first year I’ve truly played hut and that’s because no legends in franchise.

I understand what you’re saying, but in the videos I’m truly still pointing the controller at the guys I wanted to pass to. I wasn’t trying to move before I got the puck. The passing mechanic is trash, every year in franchise I gotta jump it up to 70-80 and I still have passes that make no sense. Hold it down to pass it to the short guy, but tap it to go to the far guy. That’s how the mechanic works, pass assist only helps with targeting not power. Input points DONT finish where you’re aiming!! The movement of the passing movement changes the trajectory of the pass and changes you’re final input point!! Please prove me wrong, with video proof like I clearly show how mine changed!!
  • NHLDev
    1677 posts EA NHL Developer
    I am not sure where you read a tap would go to the long guy.

A tap is the slowest you can pass and then the longer you hold, the harder it will pass.

You can control the power with the length of the hold and can pass to someone close or far with any pass speed but the speed will determine how much you need to lead them, if at all, to get it to them. With pass assist, you get some forgiveness but when there is a near and far player in a similar line, it will use which ever you are closest to the ideal line for at that pass speed to determine who you mean.
  • FatKidd5151
    98 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I am not sure where you read a tap would go to the long guy.

A tap is the slowest you can pass and then the longer you hold, the harder it will pass.

You can control the power with the length of the hold and can pass to someone close or far with any pass speed but the speed will determine how much you need to lead them, if at all, to get it to them. With pass assist, you get some forgiveness but when there is a near and far player in a similar line, it will use which ever you are closest to the ideal line for at that pass speed to determine who you mean.

Chance is you’re explanation for passing with two guys in a line. I put a video up that totally blows that out of the water. Two guys in a line and I want the short guy. You can see where my input is and it goes right between his legs to the far guy. It’s chance if I get the input right lol. I tapped the pass button and it still showed hard pass 👍🏻

• NHLDev
    Chance is you’re explanation for passing with two guys in a line. I put a video up that totally blows that out of the water. Two guys in a line and I want the short guy. You can see where my input is and it goes right between his legs to the far guy. It’s chance if I get the input right lol. I tapped the pass button and it still showed hard pass 👍🏻

I am not sure why it would give you credit for a hard pass without powering it up some but in terms of the angle, that is sort of what I mean. Although pass assist will help you correct to a single player that you are aiming at, when it comes to two players being in line, each degree starts to matter more when it is deciding who you want to pick and get assistance towards as it doesn’t assume who you want and just passes to the player that you are closest to the perfect line for. It could even be a degree difference so maybe cause it was going to the closer players feet, you were a bit behind them but were in line with hitting the far player on their tape so it picked them in that close difference.
  • j0rtsu67
    528 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Someone asked if you could use same system as in Fifa does where the closest player would let the pass go to the farest player.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen in NHL19. There have been passes (and shots) that player lets go by lifting his leg. It seems to happen automatically/by random, maybe an attribute thing. Can anyone confirm this?
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    Someone asked if you could use same system as in Fifa does where the closest player would let the pass go to the farest player.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen in NHL19. There have been passes (and shots) that player lets go by lifting his leg. It seems to happen automatically/by random, maybe an attribute thing. Can anyone confirm this?

I saw ai do it last night. I recorded 3 games. When I'm home again I'll upload them.
  • I have the left stick to the right, look how the input changes and I never moved the left stick. I want the pass to go to the dman, you’re mechanic changed it!!

• NHLDev
    I have the left stick to the right, look how the input changes and I never moved the left stick. I want the pass to go to the dman, you’re mechanic changed it!!

I will first say that I understand you are frustrated with the game and I am answering to give info from my perspective in regards to what I see and my knowledge of how the game works. I am not trying to defend the game and say there aren’t things that can be improved but instead trying to help you achieve more success in the near term.

The pass assist mechanic will update the trajectory of the puck at times to help assist the pass to who it thinks you are trying to pass to but the controller vis you are looking at in the video doesn’t update based on updated pass trajectory. It is just a representation of the raw input of where your left stick is.

I haven’t heard people mention their left stick moving without their intention so far. It is always possible there are bugs but since you are saying it happens all the time, I am sure we would hear from others if that was the case. I would lean to it being a controller issue or human error if you are seeing the left stick vis update and don’t think it matches your intention.

I can also add that accuracy error on the pass/decreased power based on physical factors such as passing on your backhand instead of your forehand, passing against your momentum or when less settled that factor in with player attributes can impact the final pass result as well but none of those factors would update the left stick vis in replay either.

That replay vis itself isn’t aware of the mechanics and is just trying to represent the raw inputs in a simplified way.
  • I have the left stick to the right, look how the input changes and I never moved the left stick. I want the pass to go to the dman, you’re mechanic changed it!!

I don't understand what you're saying. It's a backhand pass, made when you're not settled, so it's going to be more inaccurate. But even so, you're aiming at around 1:30-2 o'clock, and that's where it goes. You obviously did move the LS, even if you think you didn't.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    In terms of your overall success, I think it could just be that default pass assistance is lower. On competitive, we also have more error on accuracy and power when you are passing to your backhand, against your momentum, out of stride, etc. than we probably had then as well but a lot of that was starting to play a bigger factor from NHL 13 onwards.

I agree that most passing mistakes are the result of user error, but it also seems plain that there are times when the CPU just messes up, and sends the puck to a player who's clearly not the target.

Here's an example

This is a 3-on-2. My RW is behind me when I pass the puck, so I aim it just below 3 o'clock. Puck instead goes to Hawerchuk in the middle, who at best is at 5 o'clock. Maybe you could argue that the pass should have gone behind Voracek. But there's no way I was trying to hit Hawerchuk.

This, I think, is what mystifies people about pass assist. If pass assist was going to do anything here, it should tweak the pass so it goes to the RW, who's plainly the target. What doesn't make any sense is for it to send a pass back up ice - even if it worked out fine.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1321 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

Yeah, it happens. I think I saw it a little bit more in the beta and right after release, less so these days. But like Hoodhoppers says, it's only the AI that does it, so you can't do it yourself (no button for it?) Which is a pity really. I play only clubs, so there are fewer AI players involved, and it's less likely to happen.

In fact, it can be annoying that the AI player comes to steal away the pass that I intented to another human player further away. Happens too often, and then it's anyone's quess where the AI player passes, if it does. Very disruptive sometimes.
  • Mobbster9
    6 posts New member
    edited November 2018
    Funny how what I said and showed proof of means absolutely nothing!! If I tap the pass button, it should go to the closest guy. If I hold it down it should go to the farthest guy. That’s common sense, this is hilarious. What else do I gotta do?

That isn't actually how the mechanic works. Holding the pass down increases the requested power but you can still make a hard pass to the near player. That is sort of what I was talking about in the other replies.

Again nothing about inputs, the second video I purposely put up there to counter your input theory. With how you explained it with the inputs, that second video should of went to the short guy. These dudes come in and hijack my thread, but bring up a very interesting point. Now you’re saying because I tapped the pass button it’s gonna go to the farthest guy and if I hold it down it’s gonna go to the short guy, but very fast? That’s how the mechanic works and nobody thinks that’s a bad idea? I play to relax, you’re game doesn’t do that when basic common sense is radical thinking HaHaHa #theydontplaytheirowngame

That's not what he said at all. He was saying you can make a Hard Pass to a near player (as in you are not restricted to making Hard Passes to only farther players), and it won't assume you wanna make a long pass if you go for a Hard Pass.
    I'm pretty sure the 2 circles for the Hard Pass is for the Coach Feedback telling you that you have completed a Hard Pass for a 2nd time. And, it looks like your left thumb stick in the video of you at the left point is pointed more towards the guy you passed it to toward the right corner; like someone said, it looks like you have the left stick angled at 2 o'clock.
  • I really think there's an issue with the tap passes. Where you quickly touch it and release and it doesn't go to the closest guy sometimes. Something they should really look into. If I want it to go halfway across a zone I won't tap my pass button.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    In terms of your overall success, I think it could just be that default pass assistance is lower. On competitive, we also have more error on accuracy and power when you are passing to your backhand, against your momentum, out of stride, etc. than we probably had then as well but a lot of that was starting to play a bigger factor from NHL 13 onwards.

I agree that most passing mistakes are the result of user error, but it also seems plain that there are times when the CPU just messes up, and sends the puck to a player who's clearly not the target.

Here's an example

This is a 3-on-2. My RW is behind me when I pass the puck, so I aim it just below 3 o'clock. Puck instead goes to Hawerchuk in the middle, who at best is at 5 o'clock. Maybe you could argue that the pass should have gone behind Voracek. But there's no way I was trying to hit Hawerchuk.

This, I think, is what mystifies people about pass assist. If pass assist was going to do anything here, it should tweak the pass so it goes to the RW, who's plainly the target. What doesn't make any sense is for it to send a pass back up ice - even if it worked out fine.

Great example. I have things like this happen to me lots online. Blows my mind sometimes.
  • NHLDev
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    That I understand and can agree with for sure. Since it takes your pass power into account to determine where the future position of the players will be in time, it is possible that you needed to pass harder to get the player to your right at that angle. It isn’t just using the World space angle of that player at the time you pass but the future position based on the pass speed.

When projecting the two points, the game must just have seen your aim closer to the future position of the trailer instead in this case and it is an example of pass assist just being too high for your personal taste. It would have just passed unassisted between the two players most likely if you had it lower since if you don’t get within the pass assist range, it will just do a manual pass to the angle you selected and the pass power is always what you request, assisted or not.