EA Forums - Banner

Passing

13Next

Replies

• HoodHoppers
    1464 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I think I've figured out why bmh's pass went to the guy behind. Like NHLDev said, the pass assist will try to lead passes onto targets. You have the trailer there, who is more likely to step into the zone of where the pass is being aimed, as opposed to his intended target, who is more likely to skate away from that zone.

Combine that with the assistance, I think the game has decided that from where it predicts where the players will be by the time the puck gets there, that it chooses the trailer over where the right stick is aimed, which ends up being nowhere where you aimed it.

1163o57et9p3.jpg

The small red dots I've penned in are the locations of where the skaters are skating to (if I were to guess) and as you can see I illustrated approximately where the puck was aimed with zero pass assist. Essentially it would go kind of in between where they would skate to, unless the winger directly to his right (intended pass) were to cut to the middle. So it's kind of close to in between, but the game does a poor job of targeting the intended target in my opionion because it tends to want to lead players on with passes.

That my theory anyways. Would be interested to hear @NHLDev 's opinion on it.
  • NHLDev
    1671 posts EA NHL Developer
    I
    Yep that is pretty much what I am saying. Also remember the slower the pass power request, the further ahead each skater will be in that time or the faster it is, the less ahead they will be. So those lines you are drawing for future player positions relative to the pass angle, will change based on requested pass power. That is why if the pass was harder it may actually start to know he meant the player in front.

• NHLDev wrote: »
    I
    Yep that is pretty much what I am saying. Also remember the slower the pass power request, the further ahead each skater will be in that time or the faster it is, the less ahead they will be. So those lines you are drawing for future player positions relative to the pass angle, will change based on requested pass power. That is why if the pass was harder it may actually start to know he meant the player in front.

That's super interesting to hear. I think that's why people are feeling that passes aren't going where they want to. You can be aimed at the player in the general direction, but it doesn't equate to that's where the pass is going to go. I really recommend looking into this further for tweaking because I think the game needs to recognize that where the right stick is aimed at the beginning should be the intended target, rather than aimed at where the pass is going to end up after the speed and timing of the pass has been implemented.

It's frustrating watching a good play deteriorate by having the game assist the pass to an area that you don't want it to go. It should be more reliant on the direction of the initial pass, regardless of power. I think anyways. I think it'd really limit the intentions not being met through the passing system.
  • That does also explain why my hard passes I feel tend to hit the mark a lot more often than my touch passes though. I almost feel as if that is backwards, because harder power should be less accurate.
  • NHLDev
    1671 posts EA NHL Developer
    That does also explain why my hard passes I feel tend to hit the mark a lot more often than my touch passes though. I almost feel as if that is backwards, because harder power should be less accurate.

The mechanic works in a way that makes players better passers and rewards already better passers with the initial angles and power before pass assist being based off what you would need to do manually.

You are right that a way more automated system with really high pass assist may do what you are saying it should but that isn’t the intention. We want players to use the same controls they would to make the manual pass and then will get pass assistance to make up for how precise they would need to be if it were full manual after that.

Then for players that are that advanced, we allow them to decrease their pass asssit even further if they find the assistance gets in their way. Due to skill gap though and assuming players want more manual control, we have elected to not have the default pass assistance for online play any higher than it is.