EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 Patch 1.4.0 - Expected Availability December 7th @ 2AM PST

225t

Check out our latest NHL 19 Patch and give us feedback here.

I believe its time to address the "tripping" penalty.

Prev134
Dracolitch77
41 posts Member
edited November 16
Tripping is off the carts. I have been very disciplined and aware of my use of poke check to the point of being obsessive. When its the perfect time to use it, postion, angle, everything is right I still manage to trip. In these situations my stick hardly comes close to the players skates, and boom I get called for tripping. I know I'm not alone on this. There's time when I'm tripped, and I know it shouldn't be tripping cause my player doesn't react to it. Basically, it needs to be seriously looked at, I know its been spammed in the past. It's way to sensitive now. Thank you

Replies

• B-Bunny
    838 posts Game Changer
    Disagree. I think it's in a good spot.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • Tripping is off the carts. I have been very disciplined and aware of my use of poke check to the point of being obsessive. When its the perfect time to use it, postion, angle, everything is right I still manage to trip.

If you are getting tripping calls - you're just not as good at poke checking as you think.
  • WAYY too sensitive! It slows down the game no matter which side it called On. It hasn’t made plant defense very tentative. Moreover what happened to balance? I watched a player in real-life use his leg to defend against a poke check and sheild the puck. He was poked at a few times but he used his positioning and balance to render them useless. On another real-life play, someone had so much speed going through the neutral zone that he blew through their poke checks even though they were hitting his legs. And those are just two real-life examples of how Poke checks are just not effective in SOME situations, so in this video game they shouldn’t be effective in EVERY situation. Just toned down the poke checking. i’m not for spamming but There needs to be a middle ground between NHL 18 Poke spamming and NHL 19 zero tolerance.
  • jmwalsh8888
    641 posts Member
    edited November 16
    agreed. you can adapt and I like to think i'm really good at not taking tripping penalties except in one scenario. Loose pucks. Which is just ridiculous. I see a loose puck, i poke it away and then it's like opposing skaters are sucked into my stick and get tripped. doesn't happen more than once every couple of games but it's something that in real life might happen once every 1000x you do it, if that.

the only time you should really be getting trips is a) chasing a player and he has a few steps on you and you poke straight into his legs and b) same exact situation but this time skating straight at a player and poking straight into his legs. and there should need to be significant contact. Rather than the tip of the blade coming within an inch of the skate, it should have to pass through the legs a certain distance. But once you are basically face to face, it should be impossible to trip. its literally never happened because once you get that close the puck has already been knocked away.

all of these penalties are because they listened to whining players that don't realize hockey is about moving the puck before a defender can come take it away from you. they think you should be able to skate at, around, through defenders. real hockey takes teamwork and puck movement. not weaving through a crowd. you don't like someone skating at you poke checking it away, tell your teammates to understand hockey positioning, move their feet and get open so you can pass it away. For the health of the game I'm okay with happy mediums. I've said it many times in the past. The problem is the high rate of either a) success or b) total failure that leads to a trip. You want to tone down poke checking, make it less successful. And rather than just tracking the puck, make the poke check aware of legs. So when a player rags it and pulls the puck back, don't have the poke go through his legs for an automatic trip.

• i've developed a Strategy for my PK and it's one of the few things working for me since the game dropped so i take alot of penalties.

the irony is on the Challenges that require a PK% or SHG i can't get a call against me...LOL. i played one this morning in the Thanksgiving Challenges and couldn't even get the puck over the glass for a Delay of Game call.
  • Tripping is off the carts. I have been very disciplined and aware of my use of poke check to the point of being obsessive. When its the perfect time to use it, postion, angle, everything is right I still manage to trip.

If you are getting tripping calls - you're just not as good at poke checking as you think.

False. Yes, for the most part it is in a good place, however I have seen replays where you clearly see the stick is not even close to touching skates and yet it is a tripping call.

I wouldn't say it happens at least once a game, but I do see it pretty much every night that I do play.

False. Yes, for the most part it is in a good place, however I have seen replays where you clearly see the stick is not even close to touching skates and yet it is a tripping call.

I wouldn't say it happens at least once a game, but I do see it pretty much every night that I do play.

OP claims he's perfect at poke checking and still gets a ton of penalties.

He's definitely not as good as he claims. I've seen the replays you're speaking of, but I very much doubt that you see a penalty every night that is called when there's no contact.

I was going to reply to this thread but he already did for me :D

He's definitely not as good as he claims. I've seen the replays you're speaking of, but I very much doubt that you see a penalty every night that is called when there's no contact.

Every night that I play, I will play anywhere from 3 to 6 games. Maybe 2-3 times a week. Sometimes 4. And yes, on every single night that I play, I see at least one replay where there is no tripping on the tripping call. So maybe it is only once in 6 games. Maybe OP sees more because you say you are seeing less than I do, which leads me to believe it varies per user.

And I agreed that pokes are for the most part in a good place right now so no, I am not whining for a change, but would agree it lacks a bit of polish that can wait for other more pressing issues.
  • The collision detection isn't perfect - still too many ghost pokes, and phantom tripping calls. But overall, I think the poke's in a good place. Definitely not something that they should tinker with at the moment.
  • The problem I have with tripping is that just putting your stick on the ice with RB (Xbox) means if the puck carrier then skates into your stick it's called as tripping. There is no force applied to a hockey stick rested on the ice, and if a player skates into it they will just push it out of the way, not fall over a piece of wood that is only fixed on one end.

I don't mind penalties where I poke the stick between the skaters legs, from the side or behind (but the AI on All / Super Star seems really good at missing your legs when they do this...) but how many NHL stars have legs so week that they tumble when contacted by a stick - come on...
  • The poke is way better than it was before the tuner. For EASHL, which introduces lag in their games, it can be difficult for moment to moment pokes. What I don't like is now I don't even poke in situations where I should, could, and be fine. Even more so, I HATE getting poke penalties when I am directly in front of the player. I'll post a gif later of being in perfect position in front of a guy and refusing to poke because I don't want to pick up a trip.

Another thing that infuriates me is that even when you don't use the poke, using the DSS seems to give the same probability of tripping a guy. Literally one hand on the stick, out, and not moving, a guy can skate into your stick and go down like a ton of bricks. Using the DSS should up the disicpline, but it really doesn't.
  • tingSeagul_bumr
    2 posts Member
    edited November 16
    What I really have an issue with is how useless they've made the AI skaters. They will almost never pressure the skater and if they do, it's only with position at which point a player basically has to skate the puck into the AIs skates. Never throw a hit, never throw out a poke. This makes puck ragging stronger and reduces the rate of turnovers which slows down gameplay.

I also really don't appreciate how it makes the game less strategic in favour of snapping to the nearest skater (hoping you get the skater you want when you do) and having fast twitch reactions in puck battles rather than allowing a strategic play where you, as a player, can cover a pass instead. Leaving the AI to cover passes leads to boneheaded one-timers while the defender blows his coverage on the pass and doesn't even attempt to pressure the shot. Just stands and watches it happen!
  • KidShowtime1867
    571 posts Member
    edited November 16
    What I really have an issue with is how useless they've made the AI skaters. They will almost never pressure the skater and if they do, it's only with position at which point a player basically has to skate the puck into the AIs skates. Never throw a hit, never throw out a poke. This makes puck ragging stronger and reduces the rate of turnovers which slows down gameplay.

I also really don't appreciate how it makes the game less strategic in favour of snapping to the nearest skater (hoping you get the skater you want when you do) and having fast twitch reactions in puck battles rather than allowing a strategic play where you, as a player, can cover a pass instead. Leaving the AI to cover passes leads to boneheaded one-timers while the defender blows his coverage on the pass and doesn't even attempt to pressure the shot. Just stands and watches it happen!

They 'muted' a.i. to prevent skill zoning. I think many recent complaints of 'puck ragging' is an unwanted by-product of that change. The fix, as the defender, is to always take control of the closest defender. You have to be QUICK. This game rewards quick thinking and fast movement on the sticks.

Why shouldn't people with fast twich skills realize success in puck battles? Just because you think that your 'strategy' is sound doesn't absolve you from having to be just as fast or faster than your opponent in reacting to situations.

Lol, I never said I was perfect bud. Far from actually.....
  • KidShowtime1867
    571 posts Member
    edited November 16
    Tripping is off the carts. I have been very disciplined and aware of my use of poke check to the point of being obsessive. When its the perfect time to use it, postion, angle, everything is right I still manage to trip.

Lol, I never said I was perfect bud. Far from actually.....

fair enough... but I wouldn't say 'far from'..

I have been very disciplined and aware of my use of poke check to the point of being obsessive. When its the perfect time to use it, postion, angle, everything is right I still manage to trip.

• I think you are reading into that statement to much. Relax friend and chill you're missing the point concentrating on my post.
  • I think you are reading into that statement to much. Relax friend and chill you're missing the point concentrating on my post.

You'll get used to it.

I'm reading in to your description of flawless poke checking too much? I don't think I am.

You lay claim your poke checking technique is "obsessive" and you choose the "perfect time" to poke check.

I'm reading that as, "There's nothing wrong with how I poke check. Why am I still getting penalties"

And all I'm doing is playing devil's advocate - maybe you're just not as good at poke checking as you think?
  • Bro, I don't think Im great at poke checks. I was merely describing that Im doing all I can to avoid the penalties. I appreciate your view as devils advocate. I would like to leave this back and forth alone so this thread is not shut down. Thanks you good sir for your imput.