EA Forums - Banner

I believe its time to address the "tripping" penalty.

Replies

• once i learned to stop doing what i've done since this game allowed you to do it like 10 years ago.... poke loose pucks. i basically stopped getting almost any trips. adapting to current trips, although unrealistic, wasnt that hard. it was killing the habit that every time i see a loose puck i poke it away because those situations just seem to homing beam into trips even when no ones close to the puck i just poked. it's like it just hangs out there and finds legs to trip.

it's really simple, the only trips should be pokes from behind that go through back of legs or pokes that go straight between legs and touch both legs. nothing else is realistic.

but again thats not hard to overcome besides the loose puck things. now i just rely completely on puck pickups and my ability to get it and get away with it or pass it away before losing.
  • once i learned to stop doing what i've done since this game allowed you to do it like 10 years ago.... poke loose pucks. i basically stopped getting almost any trips. adapting to current trips, although unrealistic, wasnt that hard. it was killing the habit that every time i see a loose puck i poke it away because those situations just seem to homing beam into trips even when no ones close to the puck i just poked. it's like it just hangs out there and finds legs to trip.

it's really simple, the only trips should be pokes from behind that go through back of legs or pokes that go straight between legs and touch both legs. nothing else is realistic.

but again thats not hard to overcome besides the loose puck things. now i just rely completely on puck pickups and my ability to get it and get away with it or pass it away before losing.

So..question. What’s the magic formula for coming out of the corner with the puck. Or really any other up for grabs situation. I play a bit of D lately and just can’t figure out how to really win a puck battle.
    Ps: I’ve played hockey and understand proper body positions etc.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • for me all depends on situation. so its a bit of a loaded question because there's so many situations that could fall under your question. mostly requires teamwork though.

if i'm on defense and chasing a puck into the corner i don't plan on leaving with it, just getting it long enough to pass to a teammate. there better be at least 3 guys reading the situation and doing the right thing. because likely the second it touches my stick im passing it to whomever is open and in best position. I rarely try to carry the puck out of sticky situations in my own zone against good players.
  • I hear ya.. generally speaking I agree and that’s also about as good as I can do. However, defensively, some guys seem able to swoop in and not only acquire the puck, but also put a little room between them and myself. It might just be me being rusty as I have taken a few years off of the game and am still gettin my legs back. But still...it’s as if I’m missing something fundamental.
  • I hear ya.. generally speaking I agree and that’s also about as good as I can do. However, defensively, some guys seem able to swoop in and not only acquire the puck, but also put a little room between them and myself. It might just be me being rusty as I have taken a few years off of the game and am still gettin my legs back. But still...it’s as if I’m missing something fundamental.

i think some builds and playstyles just ooze take the puck away and keep it easier. not sure what it is but some guys can just go into a crowd and always come away with it. me if someone even breaths in my direction i seem to lose the puck and it goes straight to their stick. I've watched many replays thinking ill see something and normally its just as simple as their stick is near loose puck they get it and dont lose it even if other sticks are in the area. I NEVER have that phenomenon... if anyones stick comes near mine bam, puck is gone and i cant seem to get it back very often.

the one thing i would say, try to limit how much you actually touch the left stick. so much is automated and built into animations and often the more you use your stick to move your player around i think it cancels out animations that just happen and dont require input..like puck pickup.
  • I hear you and thanks.. I rest my thumb there and that’s probably, in part, what’s wrong. It’s just so hard to sit there and hope your guys going to do something..it’s like a trust game and when he misses I probably do more consequently compounding the issue. Oh, and I usually play twf or grinder to compensate for the lack of pick ups.
  • Its not perfect but don't worry. It has krusty's seal of approval

sb38v0hfv354.gif

• Use the body when in close...and don’t poke when you’re already beat.
    Use this guideline and you will spend a lot less time in the box.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    once i learned to stop doing what i've done since this game allowed you to do it like 10 years ago.... poke loose pucks. i basically stopped getting almost any trips. adapting to current trips, although unrealistic, wasnt that hard. it was killing the habit that every time i see a loose puck i poke it away because those situations just seem to homing beam into trips even when no ones close to the puck i just poked. it's like it just hangs out there and finds legs to trip.

I poke at loose pucks all the time. Almost the same as before. Yes, you have to be more careful, but that's fine with me.

I’m with ya..however I got one game in last night 6v6 drop in 450-750 was the range

36 penalty minutes.

Fun fun fun

Pray using the body will work when in close... and don't poke when you're already beat. Fixed it for you. :)

Pray using the body will work when in close... and don't poke when you're already beat. Fixed it for you. :)

It does work if the environment is right; attributes and game situation plays a big role in whether or not a body check will work the way you want it to.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    Disagree. I think it's in a good spot.

Me too. The only trips I find difficult to swallow are from well-placed pokes where you trip on the recovery. I think poke/trips would be perfect if while recovering your stick the carrier could just skate through.
  • As a defenseman, I can adapt to the new changes implemented to defense, no problem and I consider myself a very low penalty taker btw.. But I'm curious why we as defenseman have to change, when forwards can continue to dangle and figure skate right through players and walk into the zone with out losing the puck? It just seems like defenseman always have the player changes made, yet offense doesn't change.

IDK, maybe I'm trippin'.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1145 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    zingaa1 wrote: »
    As a defenseman, I can adapt to the new changes implemented to defense, no problem and I consider myself a very low penalty taker btw.. But I'm curious why we as defenseman have to change, when forwards can continue to dangle and figure skate right through players and walk into the zone with out losing the puck? It just seems like defenseman always have the player changes made, yet offense doesn't change.

IDK, maybe I'm trippin'.

using DSS on danglers works well. It seems the penalties on the pullback animation from DSS have been negated - so you can utilize the positioning gained from DSS - release RB - and the subsequent pull back animation has no penalty - so utilizing that along with incidental contact seems to be the sweet spot for handling danglers.

I've also found that using DSS with some skill forces the opponent to take an extra second to make a decision - that extra second usually affords my backchecking A.I. some time to get back. I can either take control of the backchecking forward or keep using DSS on my D-man to force them away from the decisions I know they want to make.

Works pretty well for me. I still get the odd dangler who gets a step on me to the slot and scores, but that's the nature of the game these days, especially when you get to the top 500 on OVP - one simple mistake and you're screwed.
  • j0rtsu67
    498 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    As a defenseman, I can adapt to the new changes implemented to defense, no problem and I consider myself a very low penalty taker btw.. But I'm curious why we as defenseman have to change, when forwards can continue to dangle and figure skate right through players and walk into the zone with out losing the puck? It just seems like defenseman always have the player changes made, yet offense doesn't change.

IDK, maybe I'm trippin'.

using DSS on danglers works well. It seems the penalties on the pullback animation from DSS have been negated - so you can utilize the positioning gained from DSS - release RB - and the subsequent pull back animation has no penalty - so utilizing that along with incidental contact seems to be the sweet spot for handling danglers.

I've also found that using DSS with some skill forces the opponent to take an extra second to make a decision - that extra second usually affords my backchecking A.I. some time to get back. I can either take control of the backchecking forward or keep using DSS on my D-man to force them away from the decisions I know they want to make.

Works pretty well for me. I still get the odd dangler who gets a step on me to the slot and scores, but that's the nature of the game these days, especially when you get to the top 500 on OVP - one simple mistake and you're screwed.
    Nice to hear.

Sure you have a video for us?
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »

IDK, maybe I'm trippin'.

Nice to hear.

Sure you have a video for us?

To be honest, I didn't expect to be asked for a video of how DSS can be used successfully. But that's a great request. I will capture some video tonight and upload to this thread when I can!
  • Good feedback from this community, much appreciated. Thanks, and keep the ideas and input coming. Draco
  • zingaa1 wrote: »

IDK, maybe I'm trippin'.

Pretty good advice and I concur. Pokes on danglers is the worst thing you can do and this method here is pretty much the best way to handle them.

Sadly, for defense, 90% of your gaming style should be practicing containment. It isn't all that fun or glorious, but it is the best way to play it with success, less penalties and less goals against.
  • zingaa1 wrote: »

IDK, maybe I'm trippin'.

Pretty good advice and I concur. Pokes on danglers is the worst thing you can do and this method here is pretty much the best way to handle them.

Sadly, for defense, 90% of your gaming style should be practicing containment. It isn't all that fun or glorious, but it is the best way to play it with success, less penalties and less goals against.

yes unfortunately this is part of "adapting" to sketchy game mechanics. If a puck carrier is skating towards a defender with puck out in front the logical thing is to poke check that puck away. but thanks to the way this is implemented in game, he simply needs to time his "dangle" right and pull that puck away and your poke follows the puck through the legs and trips if you are too close. something that has never happened in a real nhl hockey game happens all the time.

but i digress, adapt and move on. this is not a problem when compared to the massive game breaking problems this game has...at least in the 6s space and successfully getting online games to work for everyone. There was a post yesterday that they have been putting in fixes, which is nice to hear and also the very first time I've heard of that anywhere. Would be nice to know these things and have your community provide feedback. I don't know if they are just obtuse to the situation but a LARGE portion of their player base that were getting errors is long gone. How are they communicating these "fixes" and testing them? Oh wait ... they aren't. The way this team operates is so archaic it's like online gaming is an afterthought still when in reality it's the only thing that matters in today's day and age.