EA Forums - Banner

If the Beta played like this I wouldn't have bought NHL 19

Prev134
Title says it all. Between the new tuner that makes the gameplay like NHL 18, and all the frustrations that brought, if the beta played like tuner 1.03 I wouldn't have bought the game.

I bought the game solely because the beta felt so much different than NHL 18. I bought NHL 18 on a black friday sale. I didn't buy it at launch because the NHL 18 beta felt like NHL 17, which I was sick of. I bought 18 because I needed my hockey fix. I played 10-20 online games and never played it again. I was ONLY buy 19 if it felt nothing like 18. And it didn't. I was so happy, and even PRE-ORDERED NHL 19 - and I never pre-order games anymore.

Now NHL 19 feels just like NHL 18. Does anyone feel like they wouldn't have bought the game if the Beta played like the game now? I feel like I got ripped off. I bought a game that no longer existed after a couple months.

Replies

• ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    It really does feel like a recycled NHL 18 after these tuners/updates. The skating went from amazing to only slightly better. Mainly because of the delay input which was absolutely gone when beta and game came out. It was the biggest pet peeve I had with 18. The fact this problem is now back tells me it's not a bluetooth, monitor or network issue. It's a problem on EA's end.

The lesson I learned: Never pre-order or buy the game until after October.
  • Nxckles
    92 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I learned a very valuable lesson. Don't consider buying the game until a couple of months have passed because EA can decide to completely change/ruin the game with some tuners/patches if they feel like it. They usually stop making big changes after a month and half, then they shift their focus to next year's game. And as an added bonus the game will be ~$30 cheaper.

But ultimately it's probably a lost cause. We've seen the type of game they've wanted to put out this console generation. They shifted away from it in the beta, then reverted back to the same old same old within a month.
  • lol yup.

If the beta had been anything close to what we have now I would have uninstalled the beta immediately and not come anywhere near NHL 19 with a 1000 ft pole.

The beta was so good I played it for 2-4 hours a day and couldn't get enough, the same with release. In fact I could of sat down and played beta tuner all day and not got bored.

Then the "twitch streamer, elite cheeser and puck ragging tuners" came and turned the game into a joke. 100% will never buy another NHL game again after this if they don't revert back to beta tuner.

• jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Agree. I was actually looking forward to doing an entire offline season after playing the Beta. I haven’t done one since NHL 14....needless to say I’m not doing one again.
  • GOW_LIKE_A_BOSS
    536 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I think the biggest problem with the entire tuner system is that they fundamentally alter the game.

Most games release patches that bug-fix, but don't fundamentally alter the way the game felt at launch. With tuners, the gameplay can feel radically different a few months in, which makes buying this game at launch extremely risky, because even if the game feels great today, it might not tomorrow.

I think EA needs to abandon "Tuners" altogether. Do a longer beta, take feedback and release one or two tuners max - but during the beta ONLY - let people have a week to play and learn the final tuner in Beta, then don't release tuners after the game has been released.

This fundamental altering of the game is grossly unfair to people who bought the game based on the beta, and are no longer allowed to play that same game online. Because while you can use old tuners offline, you absolutely cannot online, and that's simply unfair.
    Post edited by GOW_LIKE_A_BOSS on
  • BassMan_PC
    357 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Personally, I think the game has improved with the tuners. However, I have lost heart for playing as the drop-in format is absolute trash. Clown gear and outdoor rinks suck. I have been complaining about the new format since the beginning. Then there are the technical issues that have also turned many people away. It seems like every year EA messes up or does something stupid to further kill off the community. Many of us are at the point where we are just abandoning the game because EA has sucked the fun out of the game. EA needs to bring back the old drop-in format.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    Personally, I think the game has improved with the tuners. However, I have lost heart for playing as the drop-in format is absolute trash. Clown gear and outdoor rinks suck. I have been complaining about the new format since the beginning. Then there are the technical issues that have also turned many people away. It seems like every year EA messes up or does something stupid to further kill off the community. Many of us are at the point where we are just abandoning the game because EA has sucked the fun out of the game. EA needs to bring back the old drop-in format.

The thing with that torques me the most about that, is it's without explanation, just gone. No reasoning, just poof.
  • BassMan_PC
    357 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    zingaa1 wrote: »
    BassMan_PC wrote: »

The thing with that torques me the most about that, is it's without explanation, just gone. No reasoning, just poof.

It is pathetic. Nobody asked for the new drop-in format and they just forced it on us while taking away what we loved to play. I have played thousands of drop-in games over the years and this year I have barely played and I am still in the top 100 for centers. That means that people are not playing the game much and I have noticed many of the diehards have stopped playing and aren't even in the top 100 anymore. I bought NHL 19 with the intention of playing more club, but that didn't pan out as people have given up on the game. I don't want to go through the hassle of recruiting or trying to find another team to play on at this point in time. So, I will most likely not buy NHL 20 if they do not bring back the old drop-in format.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    If this latest version was the beta, I would have not played to the end of the beta, then would have forgotten about the game for 12 months.

I bought 18 and at pretty decent discount and only did so cause a couple of friends needed my help in VG. If not for that, I wouldn't have purchased it.

I am so incredibly sick of this play style and I find it almost impossible to think that 19 had me stoked to the max and within 6 weeks it turns my stomach. I actually despise playing it, but am stuck to do so after being convinced to join a team in LG. I have played this game from 14 through 18 and that is why within 1 single tuner the game feels like it is 5 years old..... Yea sure skating is a bit better, but it was alot better before being tuned. Other than that, I am defending the same garbage plays that I have defended over 5 years.

When the LG season is done, so is this game and future releases until a serious change happens either in the game, or in house at EA. No more free $100 every year for you EA.

THIS GAME IS NEW AND YET SO VERY STALE.

I honestly feel ripped off because I can't stand 18 anymore, bought 19, that I really loved, and oops, looks like I am playing 18 all over again but with clown gear. Can I get a refund considering you substituted my product after purchase???

Put it this way, a month ago, how many people were posting here defending this game? I did it alot myself. Cool story, there is practically nobody defending it anymore, including all the ones that were just a few short weeks ago. Doesn't that say enough????
  • I want my money back, this is not the game I bought anymore.
  • First EA alientated hard core hockey fans by ignoring simple requests like Roater share, by limiting editing features, and failing to improve upon or deliver a solid sim experience.

Next they alienated Franchise and Be Pro Mode fans by ignoring their modes.

Now they alienate their online community by making EASHL unplayable and delivering a HUT mode that seems to make improving your team a detriment.

No wonder sakes shrink year by year. They need to give up the gimmicks and build upon and improve the modes that drives their fanbase
  • LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    It almost seemed planned to tune the game back to NHL 18.

At least we will know for next year. One thing I can say is this will never happen to me again with another NHL game. I will not pay 80$ for a standard version then have it completely changed into a game that we didn't pay for or ask for.

It's extremely upsetting since it's the only hockey game you can get. Like a lot of us here, we are just big hockey fans looking for a realistic fun hockey experience. It really blows knowing what this game was when it was released and what it is now.

The game is targeted towards one audience, overly competitive players who want to win every game by scoring cheese goals and puck ragging.

If you think about it, they made the game a boring cheese fest all to get scoring up 1% in the top 100. Unbelievable.

Post edited by LeFury_27 on
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »

At least we will know for next year. One thing I can say is this will never happen to me again with another NHL game. I will not pay 80$ for a standard version then have it completely changed into a game that we didn't pay for or ask for.

It's extremely upsetting since it's the only hockey game you can get. Like a lot of us here, we are just big hockey fans looking for a realistic fun hockey experience. It really blows knowing what this game was when it was released and what it is now.

The game is targeted towards one audience, overly competitive players who want to win every game by scoring cheese goals and puck ragging.

If you think about it, they made the game a boring cheese fest all to get scoring up 1% in the top 100. Unbelievable.

Always speaking the truth sir ,did you take the November survey, they want to know what we think about the game so far
  • GrundleDemon333
    74 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The hardest one for me to comprehend is the nerf of hitting and the resulting low speed puck protect bubble fest. They change it back just weeks into the release. Huh? Most of us can do it. Can elites do it better? Sure. Would practicing that more or the result be in any way enjoyable or rewarding? Nah. It’s silly.
  • I just created a thread with the same exact idea. Didn't see this one. Couldn't agree more OP
  • LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

Always speaking the truth sir ,did you take the November survey, they want to know what we think about the game so far

I have taken the survey, and I guess all we can hope is they listen us and the community.

And I'm sure you would agree none of us would be here complaining if beta wasn't an amazing game. I honestly couldn't get enough of 1.0 tuner.

But we are just big hockey fans in general I believe. Otherwise we wouldn't care for this game to succeed.

It's hard not to be so vocal on the forums when you remember how great 1.0 tuner was. Tbh it was everything I could of asked for in a hockey game.

(Besides better online servers and accurate goal songs)
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

I have taken the survey, and I guess all we can hope is they listen us and the community.

And I'm sure you would agree none of us would be here complaining if beta wasn't an amazing game. I honestly couldn't get enough of 1.0 tuner.

But we are just big hockey fans in general I believe. Otherwise we wouldn't care for this game to succeed.

It's hard not to be so vocal on the forums when you remember how great 1.0 tuner was. Tbh it was everything I could of asked for in a hockey game.

(Besides better online servers and accurate goal songs)

Well I'm being hopeful they do listen but it's very likely in my opinion this is what they have settled on because as the Devs says it's creating a skill Gap and all the glitchers and exploters are happy
  • 100% agree. It feels like when you buy a TV dinner and it looks so delicious on the cover then you get it home and mic it and it tastes nothing like they advertised. In other words, I feel ripped off
  • MDubz83 wrote: »
    100% agree. It feels like when you buy a TV dinner and it looks so delicious on the cover then you get it home and mic it and it tastes nothing like they advertised. In other words, I feel ripped off

You're not the only one that feels ripped off. Just look at the social media feedback. It is a disaster.

Anyone who bought this game purely based on the beta gameplay and all those who purchased because of Franchise Legends got ripped off. Plain and simple. Lucky me, I get to hate NHL 18 two years in a row with two different covers and two price tags. Sweet.