EA Forums - Banner

Here’s what to expect as you improve your team

jake19ny
688 posts Member
edited December 2018
Here’s a list of what to expect as you build your ultimate team as the Mode was allegedly designed for....as you upgrade to great cards you can count on;

1) Your passing rate plummets. Your new highly rated NHL stars will pass erratically, way off mark, and to the other team more than ever.

2) Your highly rated pros will now seem to have greased up stick blades as despite having much higher ratings they seem to have abysmal puck control.

3) Fanning on shots 3-5 times a game....sometimes more. Unless it is an unintended consequence of the last tuner my 89-93 cards fan missing scoring chances every game. Rarely saw that happen with my lower rated cards.

4) Your shot count will plummet. Probably a result of 1,2, and 3 but get ready to hear how wide open the window is but you can’t touch the curtain.

5) Defensively your higher rated cards will have a much tougher time dislodging the puck from your opponent. Most contact including good hits result in you bouncing off them like they are made of rubber.

Regardless of opponents skill or team make-up you will find the better your team gets the worse they play....except your goalie where regardless of rating they randomly play stellar or can’t stop a beach ball. I’ve been playing HUT for 3 years now and this is the case every year. It’s completely stupid given the goal of the mode.

Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• I agree I made a post asking EA to fix it. If I play with my 92 overall team I think I stink, if I play with my 75 overall team I think I’m great. Lol. Actually the gameplay is so much better for me with a lower overall team.
  • It's based on the game play logic... I'm convinced of this... if your playing in lower divisions with a high rated team, against a lower rated team, your higher rates team is getting handicapped.

Try running a balanced team of all types of cards, and watch your OA. Add better players accordingly as you move up in divisions...

Unless your connection to your opponent is jacked, then all bets are off
  • Jeff_frm_Edmonds
    789 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    can't disagree with any of this. i've been tracking my lineups and posting similar experiences in other threads and this weekend started diliminating between my online play vs CPU play.

what i noticed in the Ristolainen challeges so far is that my online lineup with a mix of about 6 bronze and silver players does not do that well in those CPU challenges. once i was able to achieve the 1st Risto card (80 ovrall, i think) and put him in the lineup they perked up against the CPU.

i had to increase my lineup ratings anyway to do each stage but when i just set the highest rated lineup they'd struggle but if i swapped in the Risto card i earned the level before my lineup rocked. i made no other change to my lineup. i set it to highest rating when filling it out and swap any Dman out for Risto and boom! light switch on.

but my best online lineup has 57 Dustin Wolf starting in net and 89 Moog as backup.
  • YZ19
    171 posts Member
    its not just hut either, going back years to nhl 10 in vs online ,people would pick whl teams against my nhl teams and be just as fast or faster. sometimes my 99 overall team would play great then not so much... too many variables to pin point a single thing... conection , Human player skill , ea's balancing code , the way the stars are aligned that day... its a crap shoot
  • A really good example and proof of a problem is the one Christmas Ranked season that allows only one player above 80. Those games both teams are in the same boat and you really feel how difficult it is for both teams to pass, score, and defend but if you match that team against a stacked team then the 80 team plays amazing and often times better than the stacked team. I cannot stress enough how this defeats the purpose of the mode. I’m honestly tired of hearing about skill gaps and subjectivity....at some point EA has to acknowledge that ratings should matter or simply don’t have them in the game.
  • My top lineup has been getting smoked in the Christmas open season. I used my lineup from the 1 player over 80 season and won 4-1 against a team I shouldn’t have beat based on rankings. Big difference I found was the lower ranked team AI was actually aggressive, on breakouts they stayed wide vs skating at my puck carrier. They were around the net vs backing up once a shot was taken. Other than the fact I felt bad for the guy I was playing because I had been in that boat before the game play was so much smoother and enjoyable. I understand wanting everyone to enjoy the game but punishing players that are hardcore players doesn’t make it better. I would love to get the special Christmas sets but is it worth the effort if a silver and bronze team wins more games.
  • Everyone should just say screw it, I'm gonna dump my team full of Silver Rares & Gold Commons, No one drop a dime into HUT. There is clearly no point in trying to build a 99 Overall team.
    I've had it happen so many times where I play a team full of low end gold rares/gold commons with a garbage goalie and get smoked. Can't beat them on breakaways with TG Kane, can't make a save with Moog or Xmas Fleury.

Work hard on trying to build a team with matching synergies, play the market, go through all the achievements.. all for a guy who took 12 minutes to throw a team together to walk all over, not with skill... but with a dumb so-called "match making balance"

The Game is addicting, it's fun, but it's become pointless.
    You know it's getting bad when you're excited to know you have a chance to win, when you see the opposing team line up with Sakic, Kane & Selanne on the first line.

...ok, I think I'm done with my rant...maybe...yes...ok..done.
  • WealthyFriends
    893 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    can't disagree with any of this. i've been tracking my lineups and posting similar experiences in other threads and this weekend started diliminating between my online play vs CPU play.

what i noticed in the Ristolainen challeges so far is that my online lineup with a mix of about 6 bronze and silver players does not do that well in those CPU challenges. once i was able to achieve the 1st Risto card (80 ovrall, i think) and put him in the lineup they perked up against the CPU.

i had to increase my lineup ratings anyway to do each stage but when i just set the highest rated lineup they'd struggle but if i swapped in the Risto card i earned the level before my lineup rocked. i made no other change to my lineup. i set it to highest rating when filling it out and swap any Dman out for Risto and boom! light switch on.

but my best online lineup has 57 Dustin Wolf starting in net and 89 Moog as backup.

The phenomenon being discussed is an online thing, not a versus-CPU thing.
  • TreborMalkin
    272 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I bet the person who owns the team with Christmas kuch and flower and has TG Kane malkin and kessel rest were legends loved getting. Beat 5-1 by my 75 overall team and my silver goalie. Must say money well spent. At least now I get to save mine.