EA Forums - Banner

Played Offline on Tuner 1.00. Almost wish I hadn't

Prev1
This may be beating a dead horse at this point, but it still needs to be said again. I played offline franchise mode in tuner 1.00, and it looks like a different game. And it feels like a different game. And it's not as bad as I thought it was as far as people getting bumped off the puck from behind. I remembered it happening a lot more in the beta, but in tuner 1.0 it doesn't really happen when it shouldn't, but it does happen with it should. Not to mention, all the hits look like they're new, and they don't look like the same recycled garbage from NHL 18 that we see now.

Couple that with stick check actually working, goalies being able to make saves, and just general better play overall, it's impossible for me to understand how someone (ie. The Devs) could play 1.00, and then play 1.03, and then conclude that 1.03 is better than 1.00. It does not make sense to me. And, I almost regret playing offline, because I can't play this online anymore. Because some developer decided that after I bought the game I wanted that they needed to change it into something I didn't want. For whatever reason, they needed to hurry up and make it NHL 18. Which is the worst part of all. If the game's going to be like NHL 18, make it that way before I buy it. Don't let me buy a game that feels completely different, and then "fix" it so it feels like the exact old game I'd never buy.

How do they justify these decisions anyway? Is it seriously just a couple of twitch streamers that they've tried to appeal to? We already bought the game. Which is why their radical tuners are just completely unfair to people who bought the game and liked it. Once again, I don't understand how someone can play 1.00 and then 1.03, and then conclude 1.03 is better. But even if they can, we BOUGHT Tuner 1.00. Not Tuner 1.03. How do they justify changing a game so much after people have bought it? It almost makes me mad. Just roll it back to 1.00 which is what we all bought in the first place.

Replies

• Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Than play offline, what bothers you not to do? I play only offline, for me the only hardcore mode. By the way... Only with Tuner 1.0 and reduce penalty to 1/4. Would say back to the Roots to save this game.
  • Kmahrle83
    367 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    This may be beating a dead horse at this point, but it still needs to be said again. I played offline franchise mode in tuner 1.00, and it looks like a different game. And it feels like a different game. And it's not as bad as I thought it was as far as people getting bumped off the puck from behind. I remembered it happening a lot more in the beta, but in tuner 1.0 it doesn't really happen when it shouldn't, but it does happen with it should. Not to mention, all the hits look like they're new, and they don't look like the same recycled garbage from NHL 18 that we see now.

Couple that with stick check actually working, goalies being able to make saves, and just general better play overall, it's impossible for me to understand how someone (ie. The Devs) could play 1.00, and then play 1.03, and then conclude that 1.03 is better than 1.00. It does not make sense to me. And, I almost regret playing offline, because I can't play this online anymore. Because some developer decided that after I bought the game I wanted that they needed to change it into something I didn't want. For whatever reason, they needed to hurry up and make it NHL 18. Which is the worst part of all. If the game's going to be like NHL 18, make it that way before I buy it. Don't let me buy a game that feels completely different, and then "fix" it so it feels like the exact old game I'd never buy.

How do they justify these decisions anyway? Is it seriously just a couple of twitch streamers that they've tried to appeal to? We already bought the game. Which is why their radical tuners are just completely unfair to people who bought the game and liked it. Once again, I don't understand how someone can play 1.00 and then 1.03, and then conclude 1.03 is better. But even if they can, we BOUGHT Tuner 1.00. Not Tuner 1.03. How do they justify changing a game so much after people have bought it? It almost makes me mad. Just roll it back to 1.00 which is what we all bought in the first place.

I agree with everything you said but unfortunately somewhere in the end user license agreement it says that they have the right to Make changes to the game at any point in time. They've got us there but they're just hurting themselves by not listening to us because they're alienating their customers and I can't tell you how many people I've heard or read they will not buy t NHL 20 based solely on EA actions and their bait and switch tactics this year.

The beta fooled me this year and you better believe I'll be waiting till they're done tuning the game next year to see if it's trash after being tuned or not. If it's anything like what they've done this year, I'll skip the game for the first time since this series inception.

Word of advice for everyone next year... Don't trust the beta, or EA. I mean just look at the legacy issues they never fix or that pop back up after a patch. It's a disgrace and a slap in the face to everyone who spends money on a product that you expect to be able to fully use as advertised. Nowhere on the back of the box was there a listing for broken dressing rooms or matchmaking as a feature.
  • Froommey wrote: »
    Than play offline, what bothers you not to do? I play only offline, for me the only hardcore mode. By the way... Only with Tuner 1.0 and reduce penalty to 1/4. Would say back to the Roots to save this game.

Problem is that online play is more exciting and why should we have to limit ourselves to only playing part of the game because ea changed the original product that everyone liked?
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Froommey wrote: »

Offline gets stale fast. If you play aggressive defense, you can force the AI to dump and chase all game.

And the game was perfectly fine with 1.0 tuner online. There was a great balance to the game. Plenty of people even begged EA to not change a thing. That feedback was clearly ignored. I'm still scratching my head why they turned this game into 18 all over again..

• The Devs have said that these tuners were done to create a skill Gap and people are happy with it ,I can't see how because everywhere on social media people hate these tuners
  • GOW_LIKE_A_BOSS
    536 posts Member
    edited December 2018

I find online much more enjoyable (or I used to, before these tuners. I mean in general). And I bought the game to play online. I only played offline because I'm so disgusted by what 19 has become with these tuners
  • 1.01 is basically the same as 1.0 but more polished with the poking too. It plays great offline. I challenge you to try 1.01 and 1.03 or 1.04 and see if you notice a difference in skating. It's quite close, but for me and for some reason I feel a change in responsiveness.
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »

Offline gets stale fast. If you play aggressive defense, you can force the AI to dump and chase all game.

And the game was perfectly fine with 1.0 tuner online. There was a great balance to the game. Plenty of people even begged EA to not change a thing. That feedback was clearly ignored. I'm still scratching my head why they turned this game into 18 all over again..

They did improve a couple of the entry issues from a few years ago. You have to up the difficulty settings though. I think I'm on 5/6 difficulty adjustment on All-star. On 4/6, the AI plays realistically but suck at scoring and will often not have any patience trying to score. They'll take short side shots next to the post rather than skating into the slot and shooting. But with 5/6 they're better, however at 5/6 they make really cheesy passing plays (which to me, makes up for their poor shooting positions). Against a stacked team, 5/6 is definitely easy to lose if you're impatient on defense. I'm contemplating moving to 6/6 but I fear that the really cheesy passing plays (where they just tic tac toe their entire way around the zone and make incredible give and go's that no human could possibly predict where the skater is moving to after making the original pass) would become too crazy and I might not be able to get any semblence of realism from the opposing AI. I'll eventually give it a go though because I think I need to lose more games. I typically win 9/10 right now and even though my team is a contender, it's a bit too high for my liking.

Offline is definitely better but you really need to tweak a lot of sliders to make it more realistic.
  • This may be beating a dead horse at this point, but it still needs to be said again. I played offline franchise mode in tuner 1.00, and it looks like a different game. And it feels like a different game. And it's not as bad as I thought it was as far as people getting bumped off the puck from behind. I remembered it happening a lot more in the beta, but in tuner 1.0 it doesn't really happen when it shouldn't, but it does happen with it should. Not to mention, all the hits look like they're new, and they don't look like the same recycled garbage from NHL 18 that we see now.

Couldn't agree more with you. Nicely said and my sentiments exact.
  • This may be beating a dead horse at this point, but it still needs to be said again. I played offline franchise mode in tuner 1.00, and it looks like a different game. And it feels like a different game. And it's not as bad as I thought it was as far as people getting bumped off the puck from behind. I remembered it happening a lot more in the beta, but in tuner 1.0 it doesn't really happen when it shouldn't, but it does happen with it should. Not to mention, all the hits look like they're new, and they don't look like the same recycled garbage from NHL 18 that we see now.

Agree 100% but it’s not just a handful of twitch streamers it’s all the people that shell out an extra $100 to $1000 bucks on HUT they cater too. Over the years EA has made it abundantly clear that they care very little for anyone who enjoys any mode other than HUT. The proof is in the product
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »

Man, when the beta dropped and a minority of players complaining about the poke check penalties which had some substance, but I remember reading a couple comments on facebook on how it was difficult to score I just knew EA was going to tend to the casual crowd. I remember how excited everyone was for the official release, especially the twitch broadcasters during the 12 hours of Chel event.
  • jake19ny wrote: »

Agree 100% but it’s not just a handful of twitch streamers it’s all the people that shell out an extra $100 to $1000 bucks on HUT they cater too. Over the years EA has made it abundantly clear that they care very little for anyone who enjoys any mode other than HUT. The proof is in the product

To be fair, HUT is the only online mode I've played since NHL 15. But I gave it up shortly after 1.03 dropped and playing this game online started making me unhappy instead of happy like it did initially.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Vesa35 wrote: »
    ExSnake01 wrote: »

Man, when the beta dropped and a minority of players complaining about the poke check penalties which had some substance, but I remember reading a couple comments on facebook on how it was difficult to score I just knew EA was going to tend to the casual crowd. I remember how excited everyone was for the official release, especially the twitch broadcasters during the 12 hours of Chel event.

Pretty much the tripping penalties was the main thing people had problems with. And after these updates/tuners, I personally think it's worse. In some games, I'm poking fine but in other games, it's a penalty any time I poke. When the game came out, it literally took me two or three games to adjust and I was poking fine.

From the beta to the current version, they made the skating substantially slower. The poke check/stick lifts are penalty buttons in my opinion. After October update, input delay came back. There's a bubble around players now. They toned down hitting in a bad way. I lose the puck every time I touch a players skate. Basically all the garbage from 18 I despised is in 19. Just shocked how different this game plays compared to when I first played it.
  • jake19ny wrote: »

To be fair, HUT is the only online mode I've played since NHL 15. But I gave it up shortly after 1.03 dropped and playing this game online started making me unhappy instead of happy like it did initially.

The game upon release and during the beta was a lot of fun to play but now it's just $100 flushed down the toilet
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    I've removed the last few comments from this thread to not take away from it & to keep it on track. I'd rather you discuss your perception of the current state of the game compared to the previous iteration than talking about various people here.

Thanks.
  • Froommey wrote: »

I play offline too, it is so much fun. I have played offline a lot the last several years and have felt satisfied for the most part with the correct sliders.

• jiajji
    334 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The Devs have said that these tuners were done to create a skill Gap and people are happy with it ,I can't see how because everywhere on social media people hate these tuners

It's crazy that 4 people liked/agreed with your post, this has got to be why devs avoid this conversation and why I find it incredible they still interact with this community.

What the dev said was players who are complaining of issues they didn't tune that much are blaming the game or a tuner when they should be crediting the players who've figured out how to elevate their game, and this is proof of a skill gap.

In other words if you can't take the puck without tripping it's your fault, get better, others clearly are.

I somewhat agree, aside from that explanation not accounting for the ea servers.
  • jiajji wrote: »
    The Devs have said that these tuners were done to create a skill Gap and people are happy with it ,I can't see how because everywhere on social media people hate these tuners

It's crazy that 4 people liked/agreed with your post, this has got to be why devs avoid this conversation and why I find it incredible they still interact with this community.

What the dev said was players who are complaining of issues they didn't tune that much are blaming the game or a tuner when they should be crediting the players who've figured out how to elevate their game, and this is proof of a skill gap.

In other words if you can't take the puck without tripping it's your fault, get better, others clearly are.

I somewhat agree, aside from that explanation not accounting for the ea servers.

Yet somehow that argument was never made by EA to defend the earlier tuners. Which is why I think it's nonsense.

If EA says "skill gap" to quiet complaints with 1.03, why did they not say "skill gap" to quiet complaints about 1.00?
  • jiajji wrote: »

Yet somehow that argument was never made by EA to defend the earlier tuners. Which is why I think it's nonsense.

If EA says "skill gap" to quiet complaints with 1.03, why did they not say "skill gap" to quiet complaints about 1.00?

In the same interview he said 1.00 was released with known issues they expected to have to clean up once feedback returned.
  • That doesn’t explain how “skill gap” has anything to do with the difference in the tuners. It’s just the devs exercising a preference for certain gameplay outcomes and style. What “skill” creates the “gap”? Is it shrugging off any hit that is not directly square? Is it the ability to shoot sort side wristers? Is it the ability to shoot a backhand while on a breakaway? Because the current tuner made all of this a lot easier. It’s nonsense to use “skill” as some objective measure against the prior tuners that virtually everyone loved, in large part because they created a different game from the same exploits that have existed for years.