EA Forums - Banner

Dear Dev’s: A week after the patch we’re wondering about the tuner?

Replies

• NHLDev wrote: »
    Personally, I liked the way the game played then and thought offense had to work a bit harder to move the puck but I also think that defense can work harder now to stay goal side in good position so that the puck has to move through them on the way to the net.

Interesting, thanks. So then what compelled you to change it to favor the offensive player and puck possession, given the noted significant effect on gameplay overall? And why the reluctance to change it back with so many in the community clamoring for it? Same question for goalies and the shots going in now (more like 18) vs. then.

Yes.
  • Nuckles37 wrote: »
    But what you are describing is what happens in real life. That's what the trap does, it makes it difficult to enter the offensive zone or cross the neutral zone. It sucks, everyone hates watching teams trap in real life, but they do it because it works. Especially if you don't know how to beat it. Trapping at the blue line can be beaten by dumping the puck in while they are standing flat-footed. You can try to get 1 on 1 with a defender and deke around him, you can try to bait players to your side and pass off to an open man, you can try to power your way through with a big power forward, you can skate up to the blue line, stop, then pass back to a player with a full head of steam cruising through the neutral zone. There are actual legitimate strategies to get around it.

As far as being caught from behind, that's also a thing that happens. Ron Hainsey isn't ever going to catch Connor on a breakaway, but you better believe Kris Letang could catch up to someone on a breakaway against. If you are getting caught up to, you have to adapt. Fire off a shot and hope you snipe it or the goalie flubs it. Peel away and look for a pass. Protect the puck with your body and try to draw a penalty.

Your issues should all be solved by different strategies, not making the other team go away. Adding in the incidental stick contact so that a defender's body positioning actually matters is the greates stride made on the defensive side of the game. More so than the skating and moreso than the defensive skill stick. Changing it back would be a terrible mistake.

Dump and chase isn't as effective as you'd hope in this game in 6's, defenders can easily turn around and skate at full speed pretty quickly to get the puck. 1-on-1 dekes don't really work because of incidental contact and deking in general not being very good in this game. Big power forward doesn't work because you can skate into their stick and they lose the puck because of incidental contact and they are slow. Pass back is pretty much the only effective way to beat the trap in 6's against a decent team, but it doesn't work as often as you'd like when you have 5 guys sitting on the blue line and able to reach full speed pretty quickly.

This topic has been beaten to death and is a frustrating part of the game in a 6's league filled with very competent players.

Speed needs to bumped up a decent amount and acceleration lowered (when not moving/standing still). Kind of unrelated, but pivoting speed needs a bit of a bump as well in my opinion, it feels kind of a bit slow.

Good post overall.
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Why is it that we had quite a few tuners when the game came out but when gotten one in almost two months which the most of the community despises. We want NHL 19 with a few tweaks like the bump from behind, not to have NHL 18 again.

It is always interesting to align on what few tweaks you would keep. Looking at it the other way though, in terms of what would occur if we rolled back the changes from the tuning we did, how many of these would you want to execute, which would essentially be rolling back a line in the tuner?

- AI players aggression should be turned back up in Online VS and HUT
    - AI should perform more defensive actions in Online VS and HUT
    - AI goalie should react quicker to passes
    - AI goalie should be able to react quicker to get back on a second pass on give and gos
    - AI goalie passing should have more assist, possibly passing to players in the slot if you aim behind the net
    - Bumps at low relative speed from behind should have a bigger effect on players
    - You should be able to get away with stick lifting through a players body without a call
    - Loose puck deke success rate should be turned back down
    - Players should drop their sticks sometimes
    - AI goalies should come out of the puck to play the puck more often when the opposition is near
    - AI players should put the puck over the glass more often in EASHL
    - Poke checks should need to get less of a piece of the player to cause them to trip
    - Pokechecks should be less accurate when poking to ideal angles
    - User goalie transitions to hug post should be less consistent
    - Player stamina should decrease slower so that you can play most games with your 1st and 2nd line only
    - Decrease the speed of forehand stick lift faceoff wins
    - Increase injury lengths in EASHL

Although there's definitely stuff in there that should be fixed and tuned to how it is now, I'd take those flaws any day over the current iteration of the game.

This is exactly how I feel. There were definitely good changes since the beta, but I'd trade those in to get back everything else that was great about the beta. And yes, I remember some of the PITA issues that we had that could come back.

Ideally, I'd like to see the game go back to the beta patches/tuners immediately, then start fixing the obvious stuff, like the on screen graphics covering the ice in ones, fine tuning the poke check tripping ranges, etc...

In addition to the skating, I know I preferred the balance of poking/hitting/stick lifting much more in the beta, people complaining about tripping penalties be damned.
  • jiajji wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Why is it that we had quite a few tuners when the game came out but when gotten one in almost two months which the most of the community despises. We want NHL 19 with a few tweaks like the bump from behind, not to have NHL 18 again.

It is always interesting to align on what few tweaks you would keep. Looking at it the other way though, in terms of what would occur if we rolled back the changes from the tuning we did, how many of these would you want to execute, which would essentially be rolling back a line in the tuner?

- AI goalie should be able to react quicker to get back on a second pass on give and gos
    - AI goalie passing should have more assist, possibly passing to players in the slot if you aim behind the net
    - Bumps at low relative speed from behind should have a bigger effect on players
    - You should be able to get away with stick lifting through a players body without a call
    - AI goalies should come out of the puck to play the puck more often when the opposition is near
    - Poke checks should need to get less of a piece of the player to cause them to trip
    - Player stamina should decrease slower so that you can play most games with your 1st and 2nd line only

Eashl-
    AI defense seems overly aggressive. Passing so precise. Stick work is very good. They have the ability to take over 3s games eashl. We wont even match with a club using AI.

Jesus we need to stop talking about 3s and 6s in the same threads and discussions if we want to agree on something one day.
  • I wouldn't even bother coming here as often as Ben does. He has my respect. He opens himself up to the firing squad coming here. And it's twice as annoying when people twist his words to fit into their own agenda. It's sad really, the fact that he has to say the same thing over and over but worded differently because people can't grasp the premise of what he is trying to say.

You’re good buddy Ben hasn’t said one thing about the physics of the puck stopping from checks from behind! Why? Now look what we got, keep up the great work 👍🏻

• Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    Where is this special place EA is getting their feedback from? I can't find it at all.

Across these forums, reddit, youtube, I'm seeing nothing but unhappy customers.

I didn't realize there were happy people anywhere on the internet.

I think you're joking, but if you read this forum around beta and release there were a lot of happy players hoping that the game wouldn't be tuned to heck... and guess what happened? You reap what you sow kinda. It's no use being salty about it, since EA blew all on its own.

Agree. It was a funny quote, but let's be clear. There were many publicly happy people here and elsewhere around beta.
  • PadrinoIV wrote: »
    jiajji wrote: »

Eashl-
    AI defense seems overly aggressive. Passing so precise. Stick work is very good. They have the ability to take over 3s games eashl. We wont even match with a club using AI.

Jesus we need to stop talking about 3s and 6s in the same threads and discussions if we want to agree on something one day.

I've played a lot more 3s than 6s just based on the # of people playing this game.

Does the AI really behave differently or does it just get turned around because humans are playing out of position?
  • I wouldn't even bother coming here as often as Ben does. He has my respect. He opens himself up to the firing squad coming here. And it's twice as annoying when people twist his words to fit into their own agenda. It's sad really, the fact that he has to say the same thing over and over but worded differently because people can't grasp the premise of what he is trying to say.

I agree. Ben needs praise to come here. EA in general, and decision making from the top, not so much.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited December 2018
    I am surprised that comment was taken by anyone as a serious statement or reflection of how I feel about this forum. I thought it was a common joke that all comments on the internet are negative.

I am on here listening to all of you and conversing back and forth quite often. It is unfortunate that you don’t feel heard.

As for a magical place where everyone is happy and gushing about the current game? I don’t feel anything I have said should lead anyone to believe there is such a place. However, the point I have been trying to make is that some of it is right before your eyes and also scattered across all the other sources that we gather feedback — maybe it’s only noticeable to someone like myself that has to dig into the details to get to the heart of what people want but I try to explain my thought process in different posts to shed some light on it.

In response to my post about rolling back line items of the tuner notes, if that is what we were using as the final word, we would already be past a unanimous decision to roll all tuning back, even amongst a small a group that ‘all agree with each other’.

Sure we have people saying that they would take all the bad just to not have the game they are playing now but there are also people knowing that I read what they write and take it seriously responding line item by line item giving their take. And for those that are doing that, it reflects what I see from all sources we listen to and is why in my roll I need to be more calculated in my decision making than just black or white decisions.

Every decision we make is for a reason and well thought out so just because someone isn’t aligned or is frustrated with an outcome, it doesn’t mean that it was incorrect. We have to go back and look at what we were aiming to do and weigh it against that and then can take the newly gained feedback and data into account as we move forward. It also doesn’t mean that just because we made an educated decision that the results are what we intended. Again, I don’t think anything I have ever said suggests we are done looking at ways to improve things but in my position, I also can’t make guarantees.
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Where is this special place EA is getting their feedback from? I can't find it at all.

I think you're joking, but if you read this forum around beta and release there were a lot of happy players hoping that the game wouldn't be tuned to heck... and guess what happened? You reap what you sow kinda. It's no use being salty about it, since EA blew all on its own.

Agree. It was a funny quote, but let's be clear. There were many publicly happy people here and elsewhere around beta.

Before everyone had the game figured out.

No disagreement there.
    PadrinoIV wrote: »

Eashl-

I've played a lot more 3s than 6s just based on the # of people playing this game.

Does the AI really behave differently or does it just get turned around because humans are playing out of position?

I just think gameplay discussions are not the same. 3s players will want/some things a certain way, and vice versa, I guess. The game should be tuned for 6s. Hockey is a 5v5 game.

Eashl-

I just think gameplay discussions are not the same. 3s players will want/some things a certain way, and vice versa, I guess. The game should be tuned for 6s. Hockey is a 5v5 game.

I absolutely agree, but I think the AI behaves the same regardless in eashl though, maybe it doesn't have the same impact on a 6s game though. But absolutely, hockey is a 6s game.
    I am surprised that comment was taken by anyone as a serious statement or reflection of how I feel about this forum. I thought it was a common joke that all comments on the internet are negative.

I am on here listening to all of you and conversing back and forth quite often. It is unfortunate that you don’t feel heard.

As for a magical place where everyone is happy and gushing about the current game? I don’t feel anything I have said should lead anyone to believe there is such a place. However, the point I have been trying to make is that some of it is right before your eyes and also scattered across all the other sources that we gather feedback — maybe it’s only noticeable to someone like myself that has to dig into the details to get to the heart of what people want but I try to explain my thought process in different posts to shed some light on it.

In response to my post about rolling back line items of the tuner notes, if that is what we were using as the final word, we would already be past a unanimous decision to roll all tuning back, even amongst a small a group that ‘all agree with each other’.

Sure we have people saying that they would take all the bad just to not have the game they are playing now but there are also people knowing that I read what they write and take it seriously responding line item by line item giving their take. And for those that are doing that, it reflects what I see from all sources we listen to and is why in my roll I need to be more calculated in my decision making than just black or white decisions.

Every decision we make is for a reason and well thought out so just because someone isn’t aligned or is frustrated with an outcome, it doesn’t mean that it was incorrect. We have to go back and look at what we were aiming to do and weigh it against that and then can take the newly gained feedback and data into account as we move forward. It also doesn’t mean that just because we made an educated decision that the results are what we intended. Again, I don’t think anything I have ever said suggests we are done looking at ways to improve things but in my position, I also can’t make guarantees.

Totally understandable. But I think if you put yourself in our shoes, we see an absolute abundance of different medias pointing to the same thing. That we want the older version of the game back. It's not a 50/50 thing, it's a 90/10 thing. Look at all of the most agreed posts on your forum. They all point to things indicating the same thing.

We all I think in general understand why you defend your game, but we have loads and loads of reasons why we don't have faith that you guys would support that 90%. Every time hitting is discussed where people feel it would dramatically alter the style of the game and bring the teamwork aspect of it back, it seems we read about you defending the current state by saying one fairly minor inconvenience (you could be hit from behind at low relative speeds, in which my opinion is overblown anyways). It comes across as "nah, we are satisfied with the game". There's other examples as well, such as talking about low goal scoring totals and top VS guys statistics.

All the while, we literally have guys literally begging for you to change it back. A lot of us. Half of us are even doing so just to try to keep your series afloat. But yet, no discussion of a tuner change. Which is what we expect. I think in large part, there's maybe a 10% improvement on the things we ask for in the community- and what I mean by that is that out of all the major concerns, being generous, you guys make changes on 10% of those things. Now obviously that percentage can't be high because some ideas really suck, but there's also a boatload of great ideas out there, and I think for the first time in the last 5 years, you guys listened to a heck of a lot more than 10% when you gave us the beta.

For once, we felt heard. We felt confident you guys were working in the right direction.

Then, you removed all of the things that made the beta feel great. The agility in skating (those minor changes made major differences, especially when the servers aren't super crisp), the hitting was nerfed severely so now the game goes to a more individual aspect, and inadvertently made some shots more powerful than others tweaking the goalies. I don't think it's hard to understand how those major properties that affect every major aspect of the sport of hockey would drastically alter opinions of the game and how we feel as a community. And we have been complaining since 1.03 and nothing has been done for those complaints.

You changed what felt like hockey, which is what the 90% of us want, and you satisfied those top level talent who abuse the game anyways to stay at the top. It's baffling to most of us. So of course we lose faith in this company. We get these glimmer of hopes at the beginning of every year, and then they get taken away by release date or a month after release date on new games. Every. Year.

We just want to not feel that way, for once. Somebody even made a post to give us one year to give the game to us hockey guys and not the competitive guys (even though that's me as well) who whine about not being able to score the same shot over and over.

Thank you for taking the time to post my exact same thoughts I’m just too tired to argue with these guys and their revolving door of excuses. And still can’t tell ya where they are receiving this overwhelming feedback from “the pros” that non of us can find on here or twitter. Or YouTube. And I’ve read many posts on here from well known and what I would consider seasoned veterans of the game that are not inline with EAs current direction.
  • PadrinoIV
    900 posts Member
    edited December 2018

The vibe is more directed at EA as a whole and towards some decisions made in the past years than towards you I think. We absolutely, well I for one, absolutely loves that you take all this time. I also think those conversations actually have an impact on your decision making.
    Post edited by PadrinoIV on
  • Socair
    2810 posts Game Changer
    I removed some posts (and subsequent replies due to quoting said posts) because they were more about a personal attack on the developer. Please avoid making comments like that as, clearly, the devs are forum users too and we need to be respectful to everyone posting.

I'm guessing EA decided to cater to some guys at a league because they felt it was too difficult to score when 19 came out. Dumbing the game down to score the same two types of goals isn't what I would call skill.

All that is true and part of what you guys, the developers, have to filter through and make your decisions. We get it. However, from tuner 1.03, the only changes that I would like to see are:

Skating to feel more crisp and explosive. This could be used against overly aggressive D men.

Physical plays should yield a bit more results. Say a middle ground between now and the beta.

Stick lifts are nerfed to the ground. We need a middle ground between the beta and now.

Boom, that's it.

But no, you guys insisted on staying with a tuner that promotes selfish puck hogging and by consequence bringing back player bubbles around the puck. Why do you think people are asking for the beta tuner to come back? To get rid of this overly done and boring gameplay that revolves around "protecting" the puck (or should I say, negate body checks). All the while, poke checks or DSS were not touched at all after bringing back player bubbles, so essentially we have to be pretty careful with our stick and if a puck carrier closes the gap, physical play is no longer an option. Boooring.

In the beta, D men could play man-to-man and manhandle players that wanted to curl in the corners with little to no speed. It didn't work so carriers had to move the puck to find success. Now the current tuner is essentially lay off the puck, be very passive and limit players to the outer perimeter so that forwards can come in with speed and destroy puck carriers. You think this is fun for those that play mostly as defenders? I don't.
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Before everyone had the game figured out.

No disagreement there.

What are you talking about? The way NHL 19 is now tuned, it basically plays the same way as 15-18 when it comes to puck carriers. Everybody was trying the same stuff they are now, and it simply didn't work. Players would curl their sticks back the second anyone was remotely in their vicinity. Again, it simply didn't work. Now it does, after tuner 1.03. So what are these comments that players have suddenly figured out how to play offense? They didn't figure it out, the tuning catered to that play style. Big difference.
  • Well..this thread went all over the place.

I was wondering..with the holidays behind us..will it be announced, or just wake up one day and it’s beta week?
    Personally it’s pretty exciting having this experiment..kinda can’t wait.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..

Would you be willing to go into a little detail as to the decision made to roll back to the beta?