EA Forums - Banner

Bacon Country asks "Would you buy NHL 19 now?" Everyone says no.

Prev13456789

A whole video from Bacon Country showing how bad this game has become. He asks if people would still buy it now knowing what happened to it.

47k views (as of now) 500+ comments, hundreds of likes on comments, and EVERYONE agrees they would not buy NHL 19 knowing what it's become.

EA can just save face by saying "Even though we didn't change much in 1.03, our consumers as a group felt otherwise, so we are reverting to 1.00 (or 1.01) to please them."

None of us care if the Devs save some face. We all just want our game back. Please EA. Bring back 1.00. Save face however you want, no one here cares about saying "I told you so", we just want back the game we bought. And so do thousands of other people.

Replies

• A mod needs to pin this post. Don't know how many times EA needs to be told they are ruining their own hockey game.
  • Yeah, kinda annoying that he's right. But notice that he still plays using all the glitches? So he's complaining AND taking advantage of them? Why: because everybody else is doing it.
  • I mean seriously, has anyone heard a positive word about this game? I sure haven't.
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    I mean seriously, has anyone heard a positive word about this game? I sure haven't.

There are 3 or 4 guys here who staunchly defend it.
  • They're slime. No way would I get 19, and not getting 20 now that they still haven't released Legends for 3 months.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    zingaa1 wrote: »
    I mean seriously, has anyone heard a positive word about this game? I sure haven't.

Nasher,dontbesaad will defend the game lol
  • jrago73 wrote: »

I defend it because I enjoy it, but I'm also a realist...if an overwhelming # of customers are demanding something it the intelligent move would be to give it to them.

Insisting on a game nobody wants isn't a hill to die on.
  • How can ANYONE watch that video and tell me the short side snipes aren't over powered?
  • I’ll defend this game as well. Yea there may be a few issues but I enjoy playing it. Bacon country lol I’ll just keep my comments to myself.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    jrago73 wrote: »

I can also name each and every one of them. :)

I can understand not wanting to go against their own vision, but meet your player in the middle. At least!
  • LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm so confused why they will not go back to 1.0 tuner. It was the best NHL game in years. I Thought after playing the beta that they had me locked in as a customer for the next 4-5 years. Not anymore though, I wouldn't buy this game for 5.99$. I already have NHL 15, 16, 17, 18 that are the exact same.

And to think that when you play defense the main thing you worry about is unscreened short side shots. When the other team is crossing your blue line, you aren't worrying about cross crease one timers, deflections, and good passing plays. You are above all, over anything, worried about short side goals that should not go in.

I Read a good chunk of those comments and it's the same thing as reddit, twitter, this forum and when playing drop ins (if you can get into a game that is)
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    I'm so confused why they will not go back to 1.0 tuner. It was the best NHL game in years. I Thought after playing the beta that they had me locked in as a customer for the next 4-5 years. Not anymore though, I wouldn't buy this game for 5.99$. I already have NHL 15, 16, 17, 18 that are the exact same.

And to think that when you play defense the main thing you worry about is unscreened short side shots. When the other team is crossing your blue line, you aren't worrying about cross crease one timers, deflections, and good passing plays. You are above all, over anything, worried about short side goals that should not go in.

I Read a good chunk of those comments and it's the same thing as reddit, twitter, this forum and when playing drop ins (if you can get into a game that is)

So true and so unrealistic. Defense 101 on a 2 on 1 is let the goalie take the shooter, defenseman takes the pass. But you simply can't do that in this game.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    LMAO. 20 seconds into the game in his video is what NHL 19 is all about. Puck ragging into an unscreened short side snipe goal. I'm dying.
  • GrundleDemon333
    88 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Yup, I’d say this video is a very accurate representation of the game experience online now in all its silly glory, and what we’ve all been talking about the last few months.

I probably would have declined to purchase as too little progress away from the same ol play of the last few years. I actually think I am much better at this version of the game, but just get little joy from having to play this way to win and it being so repetitive.

Sounds like it may be time to hang em up with no tuner undoing the damage on the horizon ...
  • Yup, I’d say this video is a very accurate representation of the game experience online now in all its silly glory, and what we’ve all been talking about the last few months.

I probably would have declined to purchase as too little progress away from the same ol play of the last few years. I actually think I am much better at this version of the game, but just get little joy from having to play this way to win and it being so repetitive.

Sounds like it may be time to hang em up with no tuner undoing the damage on the horizon ...

After watching the whole game BC is SPOT ON about the current state of the game.

I even let my head slam on the desk watching his player pivot 180 degrees and back without losing speed and maintaining the puck like a boss. I feel like I want to have my GF record me playing a RL game and randomly pivot back and forth up the ice. Even better is to do it in the offensive zone to try a draw a trip.
  • Nxckles
    92 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I would not recommend this game to anyone, not even at half price. It's downright terrible. If the game felt like this in the beta I wouldn't have considered buying it. I have no desire to play it until the next/final tuner, and if it still feels mostly the same then I'm likely never touching it again (like I did with NHL 17 after the first 3 months, making me also skip 18). I wish I could get a refund.

I learned an important lesson from this, don't consider buying NHL 20 (and future games) until a few months after its release. They can just decide to completely change the game with a couple of tuners/patches if they want.
  • @NHLDev Have you seen this video yet? And the views, comments, and likes on it? It's essentially a 7 minute video of everything ridiculous and wrong with Tuner 1.03 - and all are problems that didn't exist with Tuner 1.00.

The 500+ comments and all the likes agree with all of us asking for a reversion to a previous Tuner (1.00 or 1.01).

Do y'all really feel that this video is a better representation of hockey than your initial tuners offered?
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited December 2018
    @NHLDev Have you seen this video yet? And the views, comments, and likes on it? It's essentially a 7 minute video of everything ridiculous and wrong with Tuner 1.03 - and all are problems that didn't exist with Tuner 1.00.

The 500+ comments and all the likes agree with all of us asking for a reversion to a previous Tuner (1.00 or 1.01).

Do y'all really feel that this video is a better representation of hockey than your initial tuners offered?
    Yes, I saw it when it was posted last month. There aren't many youtube channels out there with subscribers that disagree with the host of the channel but I get your point. And we also see on this forum that there is a majority agreement in a bunch of threads that agree the game was better before the tuning but then you get into the details and the alignment starts to sway. As proven by the changes that we made so far this year, which were all based on complaints people had, that once people get those changes, they realize why the game was tuned the way it was originally. So it is our job to interpret feedback and determine what we should action on just as much as listen and take it all in.

Bacon has an angle in that video and makes his point. However, let's break down some details. He talks about all the changes that were made and takes a stance that nobody had a problem with the Beta and yet we made changes.

One of those changes was to make tripping less sensitive and yet in his video one of the main points of contention is how trips happen too easily. He could have easily made that portion of the video about how we have started to go in the right direction with that change but personally he would want to see it go further. But instead it got grouped in with the fact that we shouldn't have made changes.

He also mentions that we changed skating (which people were mostly falsely harping on that we slowed down speed and pivots specifically) but he blows past a player with McDavid in that last clip after doing that little half pivot at speed. He actually tried this move where his opponent was closer when he cut in and he bumped him off the puck from behind @ 2:44. Some may even argue that McDavid could power through that in real life but others say that you can't hit anymore with the tuning and that is a fairly low relative speed bump from behind which is the only place we tuned hitting.

For the "short side" goals:
    - He dances with Malkin saying 'I know he can't hit me' yet the other human player doesn't even get close to try and hit him. Bacon is skating amongst ai players that have defensive actions against a puck carrier turned off (also remember that Bacon was a big advocate for removing skill zone defense and wanting to see more manual defense from the human) and then with the responsive skating, he turns the other player inside out and cuts in to get a chance. Malkin scores short side and the ai goalie could have made the save and bailed that player out but is this Bacon getting an easy goal or his opponent paying for really bad defense?

- This next goal is the reason I put short side in quotes above. Bacon backs up and sits in crouch block on his goaltender as he lets his opponent practically cut into the middle of the slot and pick the corner. He calls this one his fault but makes sure to say that the player was going short side as opposed to just call it a dangerous shot form the slot. I don't think we want ai goalies bailing players out on these chances when they get a good shot off.

- Then the last is the McDavid goal to win it that I mentioned above. It was poor D mixed with McDavid's speed and the guy makes a living in real life doing that exact thing so it does kinda represent real hockey:
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    @NHLDev Have you seen this video yet? And the views, comments, and likes on it? It's essentially a 7 minute video of everything ridiculous and wrong with Tuner 1.03 - and all are problems that didn't exist with Tuner 1.00.

Yes, I saw it when it was posted last month. There aren't many youtube channels out there with subscribers that disagree with the host of the channel but I get your point. And we also see on this forum that there is a majority agreement in a bunch of threads that agree the game was better before the tuning but then you get into the details and the alignment starts to sway. As proven by the changes that we made so far this year, which were all based on complaints people had, that once people get those changes, they realize why the game was tuned the way it was originally. So it is our job to interpret feedback and determine what we should action on just as much as listen and take it all in.

Bacon has an angle in that video and makes his point. However, let's break down some details. He talks about all the changes that were made and takes a stance that nobody had a problem with the Beta and yet we made changes.

One of those changes was to make tripping less sensitive and yet in his video one of the main points of contention is how trips happen too easily. He could have easily made that portion of the video about how we have started to go in the right direction with that change but personally he would want to see it go further. But instead it got grouped in with the fact that we shouldn't have made changes.

He also mentions that we changed skating (which people were mostly falsely harping on that we slowed down speed and pivots specifically) but he blows past a player with McDavid in that last clip after doing that little half pivot at speed. He actually tried this move where his opponent was closer when he cut in and he bumped him off the puck from behind @ 2:44. Some may even argue that McDavid could power through that in real life but others say that you can't hit anymore with the tuning and that is a fairly low relative speed bump from behind which is the only place we tuned hitting.

For the "short side" goals:
    - He dances with Malkin saying 'I know he can't hit me' yet the other human player doesn't even get close to try and hit him. Bacon is skating amongst ai players that have defensive actions against a puck carrier turned off (also remember that Bacon was a big advocate for removing skill zone defense and wanting to see more manual defense from the human) and then with the responsive skating, he turns the other player inside out and cuts in to get a chance. Malkin scores short side and the ai goalie could have made the save and bailed that player out but is this Bacon getting an easy goal or his opponent paying for really bad defense?

- This next goal is the reason I put short side in quotes above. Bacon backs up and sits in crouch block on his goaltender as he lets his opponent practically cut into the middle of the slot and pick the corner. He calls this one his fault but makes sure to say that the player was going short side as opposed to just call it a dangerous shot form the slot. I don't think we want ai goalies bailing players out on these chances when they get a good shot off.

- Then the last is the McDavid goal to win it that I mentioned above. It was poor D mixed with McDavid's speed and the guy makes a living in real life doing that exact thing so it does kinda represent real hockey:

Here’s the thing. Why were short side snipes not as effective in before the tuners than now? Every shot short side on a 2 on 1 results in a goal. There many examples me and others of this community playing 2 on 1 perfectly and the goalie will always let in the shot.

For the McDavid video. Yes, he can do that quite frequently. But no one is McDavid like McDavid. So using him as an example for the reason weak short side shots is as effective as it is laughable. There are many short side shots in 19 that are at the top of the circle unscreened and still go in. NHL goalies will stop these. If an NHL can see that, it will be stopped. McDavid came flying in and roofed a quick shot a couple of feet in front Smith. So obviously that has a higher chance of going in. Smith doesn’t have time to react and doesn’t know where he’s going to place his shot. Like I said before, there are many garbage short side shots that go in from far.

Seriously, there’s difference between what McDavid did and 2 on 1s.
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »

So true and so unrealistic. Defense 101 on a 2 on 1 is let the goalie take the shooter, defenseman takes the pass. But you simply can't do that in this game.

I’ve made multiple comments on this. Everything you learned playing or watching hockey tells you the dman always takes the pass so the goalie can take the shooter. You see this pretty much every game you watch. EA stance on “high quality scoring areas” is somewhat flawed. Many goalies will save these shots if they can see them.

2on1s can be saved EA. Tune the goalies to better reflect this.