EA Forums - Banner

Advice for Defenseman?

Prev13
hockeybro2019
8 posts Member
edited December 2018
What can I do to make sure my player picks up the puck in front of the net when there’s a rebound? How can I make sure my player intercepts a pass when I’m in the middle of the passing lane for cross crease? I’m tired of getting yelled at for these goals by my teammates

Replies

• Basically you need to be in perfect position, facing the puck, and not making any controller inputs. Then pray.
  • hockeybro2019
    8 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    It’s in the game
  • Basically you need to be in perfect position, facing the puck, and not making any controller inputs. Then pray.

Less is more, so Richard is right. Trying not to do anything when standing in the passing lane is best. Make minor adjustments to stay in the passing lane as the puck moves with small taps of the left stick so you minimize your controller inputs. If you accidentally trigger an animation your player won’t intercept it. (Also applies to trying to poke, hit or stick lift).

Best way to defend is with body positioning. Always stay between the puck carrier and goalie if that’s your man. Let him try to skate through you, otherwise you can get burned.

If your trying to defend a cross crease pass (not a 2 on 1), stay in the area right in front of the shooter and face the puck. If you’re positioned there, and you don’t intercept the pass, you’ll at least prevent the shot from getting off. Rebounds is all about positioning. I just try to stay between the goal and the offensive players stick. If he’s going to get the puck, it’s going to have to go through you first. And just like defending a pass, minimize your controller inputs.
  • yeah, just stand there, do nothing, and pray for the best. EA Sports, It'sindagame! :#
  • Just try and sit in the passing lane or stay next to the player who is receiving the pass. If your player decides to just stare at the sliding puck, well that's really out of your control. Randomness is part of the new skill gap in 19.
  • jiajji
    329 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    What can I do to make sure my player picks up the puck in front of the net when there’s a rebound? How can I make sure my player intercepts a pass when I’m in the middle of the passing lane for cross crease? I’m tired of getting yelled at for these goals by my teammates

1. Position

You should be shoving & tying up campers, use the stick lift when someone tries to force a pass. Stay in between the puck & your man while using VC. If your teammates are bumping you out of position let them know they aren't as good as they think.

2. Beastmode + strength
  • Sounds like the best advice for both defence men and goalies is: do nothing, don't touch your pad, just stand there.... does this sound like hockey to you? Does it sound like fun?

But the dangling 'elite' players just love it, and they have EA's ear for some reason?
  • jiajji
    329 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Sounds like the best advice for both defence men and goalies is: do nothing, don't touch your pad, just stand there.... does this sound like hockey to you? Does it sound like fun?

But the dangling 'elite' players just love it, and they have EA's ear for some reason?

^confirmation bias

Select which "tips" support your POV & form a conclusion.

Doing "nothing" is great advice, if you want to be terrible.

If someone is honestly looking for advice on how to play better d my advice would be to not accept advice from people who say you can't play d.
  • I wasn't giving advice, I was asking if this is really the best advice you can give about this game? Or is this advice that should be given about game that tries to simulate hockey?

Maybe you should some advice then, since you seem to know how it should be done? How do you play defence? Especially in those modes where you play just the d-man?
  • PlayoffError
    252 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    If you accidentally trigger an animation your player won’t intercept it. (Also applies to trying to poke, hit or stick lift).

I find this in particular bit annoying. Good offensive player's aren't going just park themselves in a spot waiting for a pass, so as a defenseman you constantly need to be moving to cover the passing lane. It's far too easy to move slightly too much at once and trigger an animation that makes you extremely vulnerable to a pass going right through you.

Meanwhile the offensive player can skate full speed and one-time the puck no problem.

• jiajji
    329 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I wasn't giving advice, I was asking if this is really the best advice you can give about this game? Or is this advice that should be given about game that tries to simulate hockey?

Maybe you should some advice then, since you seem to know how it should be done? How do you play defence? Especially in those modes where you play just the d-man?

I did already, its clear you don't want to hear it.

Here's an example of skill gap, where 1 team is hitting, using poke checks and dss successfully while not taking penalties, playing sound positional hockey & keeping the other team from scoring.

Their opponents are probably here rn, asking for beta.
  • Sorry Jiajii, I missed your post there above mine...

About that clip, which one was supposed to be the good one? :*
  • Its difficult to believe you're being honest when there is one team in that video using all of the defensive tools without taking penalties, including hitting (which according to the majority of this board doesn't work) while the other team doesn't seem to understand how to play.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1288 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I didn't watch entire video, just enough to see neither did what I'd consider great defence...it was rather poorly executed offence? I mean how many times did the white team get 2 on 1 situations, and failed to score? But maybe you meant the other team? They seemed to accmplish even less? Maybe it gets better towards the end?

I think nobody claims hitting doesn't work, it's rather that it doesn't work like it did in the beta?
  • Yeah they're no doubt a good team. But out of the 4 games I skimmed thru they didn't have any team that was good offensively. They don't even support each other up the ice.

They have other videos if you're looking to see a competitive game. I thought it was interesting to see a bad team vs them, because they'd likely complain of inability to play d, and because people want to dismiss skill gap.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The other teams are getting dispossessed at the line in a game of 3s. Great display of timing on their part but horrendous display of anything offensive from the team skating right into them.

And did you guys see how their center was doing faceoffs? It's a game with a good team going against a clueless one. Not sure what jjajjj is trying to demonstrate here.
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    The other teams are getting dispossessed at the line in a game of 3s. Great display of timing on their part but horrendous display of anything offensive from the team skating right into them.

And did you guys see how their center was doing faceoffs? It's a game with a good team going against a clueless one. Not sure what jjajjj is trying to demonstrate here.

"Skill gap"
  • The other teams are getting dispossessed at the line in a game of 3s. Great display of timing on their part but horrendous display of anything offensive from the team skating right into them.

• ChellingOutBrah
    15 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Defense.. All just collapse in front of their goalie
  • Defense.. All just collapse in front of their goalie

Is that a criticism, do you expect them to be able to chase?