EA Forums - Banner

An Update on Gameplay Feedback + Action Plan

Replies

• cupcrazyma_s5mj
    15 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    What is going on if it was not the (Beta) Tuners but the Patch?

[Socair - edited bold formatting and excessive punctuation]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Socair
    2810 posts Game Changer
    I’ve removed some sarcastic/trolling comments. Please avoid that type of attitude here thanks.
  • Good going EA! 😎👍 My only criticism of this is the fear that you're going to cater to all the whiners and complainers all over again and bring it back to where we are now...

You know the game. You know hockey. Stick behind your finished product and administer the rules of the game. Maybe provide more helpful tips and tricks and instructional material to players that are struggling, but for the love of god dont break all the rules of common logic and physics by "tuning" the game so that the cheeser players will get what they want and rag spam their way to victory every game.

Realistic Hockey! That's what we want. No more invisible sticks, no more puck ragging, no more unhittable players, no more glitch goals, no more "fixing" what isnt broken!
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Very glad to hear this EA, I hope you give us back the beta tuner for good. If that does happen, you got me locked in as a customer for the next couple years for sure. :D

Now looking forward to playing the game again, haven't played in days but now I'm super excited.

I think they owe me more then just reverting back to the beta tuner to keep me around.
  • This will all be for nothing if they ONLY listen to "top 100" guys or the glitch streamers who have no idea how to cycle.

Bring massive hits back. Bring nudging back to negate puck ragging. Bring back fluid skating. Make a goalie stop a gosh darn backhand for once!

#MakeNHL19GreatAgain
  • It will certainly be interesting too see how the beta tuners behave now that we are all more experienced. I have to admit I'm somewhat shocked but pleased about this. Just make sure you guys cast a wide net when it comes to feedback, Twitter and YouTube aren't enough. You should also email and put it at the intro screen to the game.
  • LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Very glad to hear this EA, I hope you give us back the beta tuner for good. If that does happen, you got me locked in as a customer for the next couple years for sure. :D

Now looking forward to playing the game again, haven't played in days but now I'm super excited.

I think they owe me more then just reverting back to the beta tuner to keep me around.

Yeah, I feel that. Reverting to beta tuner permanently is a good way to start. Not just for a "limited time". Some of us kind of bought the game because of the way it was tuned. :D
    But they badly need to fix servers immediately, the lag and disconnects are atrocious.

Oh and EA, please don't listen to the puck raggers and cheesers anymore, enough of their crap. Focus on making this a team game, don't cater to selfish players who cannot adapt to playing real hockey and NHL level goalies.
  • What. About. Legends. For. Franchise. Mode........my god this is truly a special level of unprofessionalism.
  • Thanks EA!

I’m actually curious to see how this goes. We always say the beta was better and we’re always told we only liked it before because all the exploits hadn’t been discovered yet. This will be an interesting experiment.

And really, devs, I’d love to see more of this type of thing. Kinda like how rocket league had its “labs” section. I’d love for a separate drop in or club option to try your latest experimental tuners out. (I know, segmentation is an issue). But if you drop an experimental tuner for two weeknights and collect feedback, it shouldn’t be too big a deal. Many people would mess with the experiments because they only have a short time, but I bet enough people would still be in regular modesnto get a game. And it would only be for a short time maybe once every month.
  • I hope the line changes burn energy properly!
  • I think this is the correct step. It should have been done sooner but better late than never.

The temporary tag scares me that they will just tease us with the beta gameplay again and just go back to what it is now afterwards without making the correct adjustments to the tuner.

I can tell you everything you need to know right now after this temporary period ends without even needing to play a single game on the old tuner and there were good changes along the way that I think we should keep and you guys can ride into that NHL 20 making sunset and leave us happy the rest of the year. ALL EASHL RELATED.

First off, Keep the beta/early state gameplay and work from there.

Speed differentiation throughout builds and height/weight: This is a major area where I think you guys made the game take a major step back in terms of responsiveness and skating. We want builds to be different and have varying speeds and big guys should obviously be slower than small guys but when you made this change it took away alot of the responsiveness and explosiveness in the players skating in the bigger players end of the spectrum. The correct change here would have been to just give the puck carrier agility/skating a slight boost. In the beta gameplay if you were getting hit with a small build it was likely to cause a stumble or lose the puck completely this was a good trade off to using small builds; you were fast and more agile than the other guys but had to move the puck quick and couldnt play the bubble with "bumps". Beta bumps>Current Bubble.

Shooting: We need better shooting on EASHL builds other than the sniper. The shots are just too soft and goalies are too big and fast in this game. All the traits take away from your shot ability making it even harder to make a proper build that can shoot.

Puck Interceptions: Way too inconsistent at times and then overpowered at others. Guys reach from behind them to pick off passes skating forward. I dont know where you guys should go from here this year honestly but in terms of the future this needs to be a manual action like the poke check to create a slight skill gap and possibly stop these wild interceptions and add more flow to the game.

Changes I liked:

Revert back to old forehand to backhand action where it didnt force you to shooting forehand.

No more losing your stick.

Slight increase in deke succession rate (Should be higher in my opinion its a video game let us get creative but at the same time let defenders be able to defend them with well timed pokes or positioning.)

Fix to puck pickups was a good change, it stopped alot of the weird reaching causing players to trigger an animation to pickup in awkward positions and into opposing players.

• omg are we seriously going back to beta tuner? so we are going to have 6'3 enforcers skating like johnny gaudreau again? and trips will be just plain stupid? and in the opposite way so will stick lifts?

oh and of course every defender that gets walked will have some kind of magical magnet for hitting and turn and push the puck carrier off the puck from behind and have the puck magically go right to them giving them a massive reward for their over aggressive defensive mistake?

jesus you couldn't just tweak and fix what was currently wrong you had to undo all the good that has been made? This is such a lazy way out and frankly pathetic. 4 months of people complaining about a few little details that are wrong with tuning and you do nothing and now this is what you do? Ridiculous.
  • I'm interested in this experiment, but I don't understand why they're reverting to the original beta tuner - other than to troll everyone who's been saying "revert to the beta." I don't like the place that the various patches and tuners have landed us, but there were a lot of obvious problems with the beta:

The poke checking was deeply flawed, to the point that even pokes from good positions were hard to pull off, and often resulted in penalties.

Stick lifting, by contrast, was so massively overpowered that people were essentially just spamming A without consequence.

While the hitting worked great in general, the nudges from behind were so overpowered that one of the most successful defensive strategies was to let someone skate past you and then graze him with a check - he'd lose the puck pretty much every time.

Holding LT (backskating) and then releasing it while skating up ice gave people a ridiculous speed burst when they came out of the half spin.

What we need is the beta tuning with these problems fixed. Going back to the original beta without fixing these things is just going to replace people's current frustration with the game with a new set of frustrations.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Unfortunately, for me it's too late... I've been done with this game for over a month now. And I'm not coming back.

Nothing that the devs do (at least as pertains to settings and tuners) will fix this game. The problem is not the tuners or the fixes in the patches, but the skating.

Even back in the BETA, my #1 point of contention was that the skating still had that "table-top hockey swivel" feeling. Ben calls it "lateral acceleration". Whatever it is, it's killed this series' gameplay and it will NOT get fixed by just reverting back to the BETA tuners/patch.

So you all enjoy your nothing gameplay when it gets reverted, but I'm done and moving on to better games. Thank you to Ben for all the discussions we've had over the years. Thank you to his team for listening to us and trying. Thank you to the community for never giving up. I hope you all get what you wanted when the new update drops.

Yours respectfully forever,

VeNOM3099
  • This is kinda exciting. Looking forward to seeing how perception overlaps with recollection.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Gross
  • Ty_Hors wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Before the holidays begin, we just wanted to provide everyone with an update around NHL 19, and more specifically the feedback we have been hearing around the gameplay.

Over the past few months, we have been seeing a lot of people on all channels asking for us to revert to Beta tuners as they enjoyed the game better during that time frame. While we believe that the current gameplay has a lot of improvements from launch, we also recognize that there could be areas of gameplay that you preferred better in the past.

As a result, in mid-January we are going to be rolling back to the Beta Tuner for a limited time to get your feedback on what you like/dislike about the Beta Tuner compared to the current gameplay tuner. Please note that this will undo some of the positive changes that we’ve seen from the community, so you’ll be seeing some of the following occur again:
    • Poke checks will be more sensitive and cause more tripping penalties
    • AI goaltending performance will be different
    • The ability to drop your stick
    • Increase in incidental contact strength (bumps)
    • Decrease in penalties from stick lifts

After we change back from the tuner, we will be posting a feedback survey to gather your thoughts, likes, and dislikes on the Beta tuner.

While it is a little while until the tuner goes live, we wanted to provide you with an update as we know how passionate you are about the product. Once we get closer to the date of the tuner, we will provide an update with more information and details on what is happening, when it’s happening, and what you can expect.

Thank you for your dedication and feedback throughout NHL 19 and we hope everyone has a happy holidays!

- The EA SPORTS NHL Team

How long are we going to have to suffer the beta?
  • omg are we seriously going back to beta tuner? so we are going to have 6'3 enforcers skating like johnny gaudreau again? and trips will be just plain stupid? and in the opposite way so will stick lifts?

oh and of course every defender that gets walked will have some kind of magical magnet for hitting and turn and push the puck carrier off the puck from behind and have the puck magically go right to them giving them a massive reward for their over aggressive defensive mistake?

jesus you couldn't just tweak and fix what was currently wrong you had to undo all the good that has been made? This is such a lazy way out and frankly pathetic. 4 months of people complaining about a few little details that are wrong with tuning and you do nothing and now this is what you do? Ridiculous.

No I do not agree with this. 1 step back, 2 forward.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, for me it's too late... I've been done with this game for over a month now. And I'm not coming back.

Nothing that the devs do (at least as pertains to settings and tuners) will fix this game. The problem is not the tuners or the fixes in the patches, but the skating.

Even back in the BETA, my #1 point of contention was that the skating still had that "table-top hockey swivel" feeling. Ben calls it "lateral acceleration". Whatever it is, it's killed this series' gameplay and it will NOT get fixed by just reverting back to the BETA tuners/patch.

So you all enjoy your nothing gameplay when it gets reverted, but I'm done and moving on to better games. Thank you to Ben for all the discussions we've had over the years. Thank you to his team for listening to us and trying. Thank you to the community for never giving up. I hope you all get what you wanted when the new update drops.

Yours respectfully forever,

VeNOM3099

Best of luck man.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this experiment, but I don't understand why they're reverting to the original beta tuner - other than to troll everyone who's been saying "revert to the beta." I don't like the place that the various patches and tuners have landed us, but there were a lot of obvious problems with the beta:

The poke checking was deeply flawed, to the point that even pokes from good positions were hard to pull off, and often resulted in penalties.

Stick lifting, by contrast, was so massively overpowered that people were essentially just spamming A without consequence.

While the hitting worked great in general, the nudges from behind were so overpowered that one of the most successful defensive strategies was to let someone skate past you and then graze him with a check - he'd lose the puck pretty much every time.

Holding LT (backskating) and then releasing it while skating up ice gave people a ridiculous speed burst when they came out of the half spin.

What we need is the beta tuning with these problems fixed. Going back to the original beta without fixing these things is just going to replace people's current frustration with the game with a new set of frustrations.

100% agreed.

Quite frankly. This is a lazy way out.