EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

An Update on Gameplay Feedback + Action Plan

Replies

• When will lower rated cards stop being better then the jighend cards? Can you make the abilities the cards have be accurate ? If they arent no point to building a good team. I have 4 or five players with 99 acceleration and speed but with full energy get beat in foot races buy low rated players example my 91 thanksgiving Patrick Kane loses footraces to Dustin Bufflen rare gold card rated 84. Everytime i face a team with lower rated players at some point their players out perform mine.

Maybe it's a connection issue? I have a bunch of F2P slow guys and teams of 90s run rings around me. The speeds seem accurate to me :shrug:
  • I certainly notice a difference when I’m ripping up the wing with 90 Jonny hockey and blowing by most d men. I also notice that 89 totw McDavid is pretty good at it too, just not quite as fast though.
  • Once again we need to know about offline legends. If not this year then the 200 guys need to put in with full access for NHL 20
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    Welp, after hearing a dev say there's nothing wrong with the defensive tools, tuning, etc, it seems that those of us complaining about defense have no clue what we're talking about or complaining about. In essence, if a forward scores on a defensive player deemed as good, he clearly deserves it and the game is good and balanced. Apparently, It was always that defensive players were getting bailed out for making bad decisions. I've played with the top tier on LGHL and I guess those of us that play D on that league are, quite frankly, delusional for thinking the defense sucks. A lot of us take what we are given, play, and succeed anyway. Myself included. However, just because someone can be good at D and adapts to how the game plays, doesn't make it right and doesn't make it fun. This one is the last straw for me. Done.
    A bit extreme considering this whole conversation is based around listening to the community and doing some rebalancing in the tuner based on what we see, have been looking to improve and taking more feedback from the community.

You were very selective in what you took from what I had been writing as I covered not only the ability to have success on defense but also called out the separate conversation around fun factor and the type of gameplay we want to encourage, understanding that those are two separate things for people.

All that said, most people complaining about the defensive side of goal scoring balance have actually been in the VS and HUT communities with a big focus on the low relative speed hitting and ai goalie changes.

Since you are speaking from the perspective of competitive 6's play in LG, it is interesting to hear you take the stance that defense sucks. Most of the feedback from LG this year has been that goal scoring has been too low and if the term 'bumps' wasn't originated in the LGHL, it was certainly highly used by many in that circle to describe the issues with low relative speed hitting. After getting the feedback from a lot of the VS and HUT players, I specifically reached out to members of the competitive 6's community see if the sentiment was shared and many of them feel that the changes were good for top level 6's play. As with all of this though, it has been hard to find consensus once you get into the details, which again is all part of having open dialogue with the community around it all.

Anyways, it is good to get the perspective since so far it hasn't been what I have seen from the LG community. We are going to continue to be all ears as more players open up with feedback.

Every single post I have made is in regards to EASHL. It's the only mode I play. I play w and against the best since NHL 12 on PS4 but not so much anymore as most are frustrated and bc of my work schedule. Kindly review, it's a combination of my findings along with entire friends list.
  • I keep getting randomly booted today, think it might be Comcast actually. Nevertheless, every time it happens I think your rolling out the beta :x
    Right now work is slow..home a lot..few weeks..maybe crazy pants
    I realize someone’s trying to reduce bias with good survey questions or something but.. umm..
    Hi
    Beta?
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • WainGretSki
    3035 posts Member
    edited January 7
    BlahQGhozT wrote: »
    Welp, after hearing a dev say there's nothing wrong with the defensive tools, tuning, etc, it seems that those of us complaining about defense have no clue what we're talking about or complaining about. In essence, if a forward scores on a defensive player deemed as good, he clearly deserves it and the game is good and balanced. Apparently, It was always that defensive players were getting bailed out for making bad decisions. I've played with the top tier on LGHL and I guess those of us that play D on that league are, quite frankly, delusional for thinking the defense sucks. A lot of us take what we are given, play, and succeed anyway. Myself included. However, just because someone can be good at D and adapts to how the game plays, doesn't make it right and doesn't make it fun. This one is the last straw for me. Done.

You kinda missed the point of what the @nhldev was saying but he is right, there is nothing wrong with the tools. They actually do work just fine when used correctly and your positioning is sound. No amount of tools will ever be 100% perfect of course but by no means are dmen outgunned or out classed. A dman can play a situation seemingly perfect and still get beat. It happens in real life all the time too. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me who has ever played every game in every situation perfectly defensively. You can either complain about it or learn from it. I personally choose to learn what I could have adjusted better or played differently.

It goes both ways too. There are times when the D shouldn't be able to make a play at all and still does somehow, for example a pokecheck dead stop blocking a slapshot from the the point or intercepting a pass not even facing the play. It happens. Defense doesn't get as much shine and praise as offense does in this game but by no means are dmen helpless.

There are technical things I wish we had more control over like clipping, sticks through legs / pucks / boards etc. but stuff like that will never be perfect. It's a programmed game after all.

The bolded part makes zero sense to me. I'm not sure what fun you think you're not having but I have plenty when I manage to make a solid play after I get beat, get a takeaway, or make a good read to stop the other team. I'm by no means gods gift to defense, I have my faults, but I won't blame the game for what I do with the tools given, working as I'd prefer them to or not. To each his own though.

Below are some examples of what I try to do in games. It doesn't always work out as you may intend, but it's nice when it does.

Sweeping poke
    3X9XdwQ.gif

Well timed targeted poke
    j7uokxM.gif

Maintain gap with targeted poke
    x6iKmtE.gif

Fake inside to outside check
    dTFTc08.gif

I understand what you're trying to say, but it can be better. Much better. It fact, it was better before the current tuner in my opinion. Other than poke trips, the game flowed very well. Especially for D-men. Hits and incidental contact actually looked exactly what was promised in the developer video with PK Subban.

Appreciate the gifs too, but I think I can also play great defense against a centerman who, play after play, doesn't move the puck and literally skates in a predictable straight line. With no offense to your skills, there are much better players out there can that exploit the mechanics and movements a lot better than that dude that kept trying the same thing over and over again.

;)

Gotta agree here.

Yes the proper defensive tools were used at the right time, but that opponent was fairly predictable. There are alot of players out there who are extremely slippery and know how to abuse the slow speed/negate body checks mechanics.

The issue for me isn't if I can or cannot play D. The issue is how I have to play it. Either use some clunky goon that has decent to good potential to check, or some zippy smurf that can only pass/shoot. Extremely boring compared to forwards in all honesty.
  • I legit thought he just had a friend help him demo stuff and kinda wrote it off as much..
  • LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited January 7
    I guess there will always be the few people who will take a 3-4 gifs of a stick check, body check or stick lift working but they will ignore the other thousand times it doesn't work. Like when you skate directly into a player and bounce off a protective bubble, the stick lift that is more like you are trying to chop someones arm off than working properly. It's just unrealistic to record 2-3 clips and say the game is 100% perfect and there is no issues. Basically saying you suck when you see hundreds of people complaining about the same thing across all social media. Offense is not a cakewalk to generate in the NHL, it's the opposite, We need a good balance between forwards and defence, no more short side and ragging.

I Understand some people want to figure skate in the offensive zone and not worry about being shoved, poke checked or stick lifted but that not how the NHL works. Good luck ragging the puck in the O-zone for as long as you can in NHL 19 in the real NHL. Even if you don't move the puck quickly in the D zone it can result in a turnover and a goal against. The NHL is all about speed and quick passes out of the zone. There's no time to stop and wait 5 seconds to figure out who you are going to pass it to or what you are going to do with the puck. In NHL 19 you now have a sense of comfort with the puck, it shouldn't be that way. Why do you think all of the slow skaters in NHL are gone? Even the 4th lines and 5-6 D-men need to be quick thinkers and fast on their skates.

And yeah you may be playing good hockey and winning with the current mechanics, it doesn't mean the game is perfect and everyone else is wrong.

I can tell you me and my club have the same feeling when it comes to beta vs current tuner. We honestly couldn't wait for release to play after playing the beta. I can't remember the last time I was so excited for a game to come out. But now we all feel the same, the game is boring as hell even when you win. It's just not fun like the beta was.

Eagerly awaiting the beta tuner still, hope it's this week. ;p
  • I would definitely take the beta tuner over current tuner.
    The only thing I would keep is where the poke to penalty ratio is at right now.
    The beta was JUST A BIT to touchy.
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

I can tell you me and my club have the same feeling when it comes to beta vs current tuner. We honestly couldn't wait for release to play after playing the beta. I can't remember the last time I was so excited for a game to come out. But now we all feel the same, the game is boring as hell even when you win. It's just not fun like the beta was.

At what point did your club lose interest? Right at launch or after a certain tuner?

• renamed57635
    189 posts Member
    edited January 7
    I guess there will always be the few people who will take a 3-4 gifs of a stick check, body check or stick lift working but they will ignore the other thousand times it doesn't work. Like when you skate directly into a player and bounce off a protective bubble, the stick lift that is more like you are trying to chop someones arm off than working properly. It's just unrealistic to record 2-3 clips and say the game is 100% perfect and there is no issues. Basically saying you suck when you see hundreds of people complaining about the same thing across all social media. Offense is not a cakewalk to generate in the NHL, it's the opposite, We need a good balance between forwards and defence, no more short side and ragging.

I Understand some people want to figure skate in the offensive zone and not worry about being shoved, poke checked or stick lifted but that not how the NHL works. Good luck ragging the puck in the O-zone for as long as you can in NHL 19 in the real NHL. Even if you don't move the puck quickly in the D zone it can result in a turnover and a goal against. The NHL is all about speed and quick passes out of the zone. There's no time to stop and wait 5 seconds to figure out who you are going to pass it to or what you are going to do with the puck. In NHL 19 you now have a sense of comfort with the puck, it shouldn't be that way. Why do you think all of the slow skaters in NHL are gone? Even the 4th lines and 5-6 D-men need to be quick thinkers and fast on their skates.

And yeah you may be playing good hockey and winning with the current mechanics, it doesn't mean the game is perfect and everyone else is wrong.

Yes, the game is very boring, especially when you play at a highly competitive level. Every top club has set plays, which are usually similar. All the top forwards know how to exploit or set the defense up to take penalties or expose the flaws with the builds.

Like I said in a previous post. If a forward makes a mistake, it's a turnover and the forward most likely will recover the puck somehow. If a defenseman makes a mistake, it's a penalty of high quality scoring chance. Their is no real immediate negative consequence for forwards.

NHLdev said it's the defense's responsibility to make the offense be creative. How is that possible when they're able to play basically risk free?

If opinions matter, it should be from defensemen who play top competitive club. The ones who have to endure all the nonsense. All this video proof being posted is a little one sided. The offense isnt all the great competition. Bad players get rewarded way too frequently and it any top player knows that while the bad player thinks he is the next virtual Gretzky.

There needs to be balance but not to the point where it meshes good n bad players togethers. Bad players dont and shouldn't be competitive with good players based on game mechanics and other programming. I get there's a certain magnitude of puck luck that occurs in real hockey and some freak occurance as well but it's far too frequent in this game. There's too much of an Arcadey feel.

EA likes to keep bringing up "skill gap" and that's starting to brainwash people. These EASHL builds, auto animations, 1 touch dekes, etc all promote the opposite of true skill gap. Add the poor defense tools, not being able to grind out your Legend 3 card (old school way of 150 games) and the inability to create a player to exactly how you want him to play eliminates creativity and desire to put the work into actually discovering your strengths n weaknesses playing the game not the games strengths and weaknesses. Even cash cow CoD makes you earn all your weapons and gear and in doing so, you figure out which gun, attachments, perks, etc truly work best for your play style.

There have been things that worked great in this game and EA has chosen to either modify and/or eliminate them from the game. Its ridiculous that little Timmy can get the game at Christmas, months after its release and be semi-competitive and have the same opportunities that someone who had the game from day one. They should have to earn their stripes just like in a real life competitive sports environment.

Too many times being in perfect defensive positioning to break up plays and pucks go freely through you. It would never happen. They may go through, but disruption of some point would happen. A lot might be because of the puck and I'll explain why.

When you go to hit, the bubble happens because you are locking onto the hit while the puck carrier is in a position where if he moves his stick you miss. Hitting from my point of view is based upon the puck not the body. But you need to generate speed to hit well so in doing so you are locking on too soon.

Poke checking is anticipating where the puck is going to go not where it has been. Pokes and stick lifts are most successful in my opinion when the puck has just left or just about to connect to another players stick and when the puck carrier brings his stick into the path of your poke or lift. You chase, you get a penalty.

When you poke someone, it should not just dislodge the puck a couple inches and the forward regains possession. The forward should continue his forward motion and the defensemen, since facing the puck with speed should have the better chance of retreiving the loose puck.

The animations of diving, crouching, etc and the puck goes through a player is beyond me. It should never happen if you are in the proper position. Saucer, yes, but not on the ice passes.

Its absolutely ridiculous that defensemen lose momentum when they poke check or stick lift but the forwards dont lose speed while deking or stick handling. As is why the player possessing the puck has more agility and top end speed than the one who doesnt.

Board play needs completely revamped. They would be called holding penalties most often than not. Stick tie ups dont work well either.

Its mind boggling that a big hit results in the player laying on the puck to get back up n regain possession as does getting tripped and you just stay glued to the ice. As is when you trip someone or get tripped on a breakaway and then glide in on two knees for almost 15 feet.
  • rename2297500
    22 posts Member
    edited January 8
    Why do you obviously tilt ice? This game is garbage just for that reason. I just played a guy with notheven close to having the ratings my players have some of the the exact character but a lower version and i can literally see my players not moving like they are supposed to. EA maybe you should go watch a hockey game. They dont feed stronger teams in the NHL valium so they cant compete with weeker teams. Tell me with fuul energy how a gold rare kucherov can skate faster than the Christmas one. Are people that cowardly that you have to cheat the people who have built teams that are better according to your numbers on the cards. We pay money to your company (only because there is no other option currently) to be entertained not cheated. Take tilted ice out of the game because weather or not you admit it its obviously there. You are not providing a product which is supposed to be realistic and honestly there should be some legal recourse as you either have no idea about competition or you are trying to appease people who either cant take the time to build there tean through objectives making coins in the auctions or spending real money. Ive played hockey video longer than probably most of your staff has been out of diapers and EA used to be the game of choice. This was before the internet now maybe your greed for profit exceeds your wanting to provide a fair and realistic game. Tell me im wrong anyone from EA please prove me wrong. Thank for ruining your game and i hope the rumors of 2k building a hockey game are truel. Or some some pride in your product and make these abilities accurate. Last year ill ever give you a dime.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

At what point did your club lose interest? Right at launch or after a certain tuner?

I believe it was 1.02, when hitting and agility changes were added.

All 7 of us gave beta - 1.01 10/10, 9/10. You guys nailed it, props on that. Most fun game I’ve played in 2 years or more. Hope you can replicate that with upcoming changes, very excited.
  • Thanks to @LeFury_27 for a great post, I couldn’t agree more!
    In NHL 19 you now have a sense of comfort with the puck, it shouldn't be that way.

Perfectly worded! Would it be possible to try a tuner where «twitching-skills» and backhand puck-protect-gliding is a bit less dominant?
    After LeFurys great post, @TheAmazinqRacist follows up with an even better one.
    I shouldn’t quote from it, cause everything in that post is a perfect description of what’s wrong with this game. Or more constructivly worded: What could make this game A LOT better! Again, I really hope @NHLDev is taking notes.
    Now, of course I’m gonna quote a bit from it anyway :p
    NHLdev said it's the defense's responsibility to make the offense be creative. How is that possible when they're able to play basically risk free?

This is so to the core of how the game is/could be tuned, that I really thinks it needs the extra focus. What are the D doing when they are not forcing offense to be creative, then? Have they gone of the ice?
    Of course not. They would be in their prefered positions, having an easy time playing together as a team, since they’re not being challenged.
    The statement that it is on the Defense to force Offense to be creative, and not the other way around, is a dangerous philosophy to have as grounds for a hockeygame.

• I havent played this game in months because of how terrible it became since the beta, my entire team quit too. This is good news but the limited time thing worries me. Reverting back to this for a week and then going right back to the current gameplay is pointless. I know its for feedback and should likely lead to change, but if those take weeks then this just doesnt seem like that great of a plan. Hopefully Im wrong about that aspect but its tough to trust anything after the blatant bait switch that has happened nearly every year since youve been doing betas and demos.
  • Im glad button mashing has become a skill apparently. We used to make fun of desperate losers who did that. Another game where someone can out skate me at any moment in the game. Sorry i shouldnt call it a game. That would imply that its a fair competition. How do you get tilted ice in your favor is it press your stick lift and poke check button as fast as you can? EA this game is garbage. Id like to use much different language but i know how sensative you probably are. Go play the show or 2k basketball. High end players dont just slow down and stop moving so one person can win.
  • rename2297500
    22 posts Member
    edited January 8
    Oh yeah thanks for those christmas players that made absolutely no difference. You might as well not even have those ratings on the players as they dont mean crap. Majority of teams ive lost to are not as stacked as my team. Thanks for the crap.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »

I believe it was 1.02, when hitting and agility changes were added.

All 7 of us gave beta - 1.01 10/10, 9/10. You guys nailed it, props on that. Most fun game I’ve played in 2 years or more. Hope you can replicate that with upcoming changes, very excited.

I rag on 1.03 all the time, but I too feel things started going pear-shapped with 1.02
  • Will this revert to beta change anything about how easy it is for turnovers to happen? It seems like all that has to happen for the puck to be turned over is another player has to be somewhat close to you. No poke check or stick lift, the puck just automatically shakes loose. Does anyone else have issues with this?
  • That first week was great.