EA Forums - Banner

An Update on Gameplay Feedback + Action Plan

Replies

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this experiment, but I don't understand why they're reverting to the original beta tuner - other than to troll everyone who's been saying "revert to the beta." I don't like the place that the various patches and tuners have landed us, but there were a lot of obvious problems with the beta:

The poke checking was deeply flawed, to the point that even pokes from good positions were hard to pull off, and often resulted in penalties.

Stick lifting, by contrast, was so massively overpowered that people were essentially just spamming A without consequence.

While the hitting worked great in general, the nudges from behind were so overpowered that one of the most successful defensive strategies was to let someone skate past you and then graze him with a check - he'd lose the puck pretty much every time.

Holding LT (backskating) and then releasing it while skating up ice gave people a ridiculous speed burst when they came out of the half spin.

What we need is the beta tuning with these problems fixed. Going back to the original beta without fixing these things is just going to replace people's current frustration with the game with a new set of frustrations.

100% agreed.

Quite frankly. This is a lazy way out.

To me this appears the opposite of lazy. There are many issues being brought up and argued which have been the product of the tuners. So, instead of one last round of poke and hope, they are completely resetting the apple cart, surveying, and will implement something which hopefully will make a greater portion of the community happy by making the game better to play.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Will the dressing room errors be fixed too?
  • Pini1123 wrote: »
    Will the dressing room errors be fixed too?

I seriously doubt it.

How I read the OP is that they are going to take a copy of the game from Beta and overwrite what we have now. Then after a period of time overwrite that with what we are currently playing. Through this we will be surveyed and expected to give feedback which will be used to give us to create a patch/tuner. If you've been following @NHLDev 's posts among the threads you will see that the perceptions haven't always lined up with the things which have been tweaked. Ergo its a product of things which has proven very complicated to untangle. Given how many people loved the game out of the gates, to where we are now, i can appreciate how they really want to get this right as they had it for a fleeting moment. Lets face it, a game like hockey isn't changing year to year. The expectation that it could be Groundbreaking1!11!1!!! every years is silly. So, at least to me, it seems as if they are finally trying to really work on the things which matter. The game play.
  • jiajji
    334 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this experiment, but I don't understand why they're reverting to the original beta tuner - other than to troll everyone who's been saying "revert to the beta." I don't like the place that the various patches and tuners have landed us, but there were a lot of obvious problems with the beta:

The poke checking was deeply flawed, to the point that even pokes from good positions were hard to pull off, and often resulted in penalties.

Stick lifting, by contrast, was so massively overpowered that people were essentially just spamming A without consequence.

While the hitting worked great in general, the nudges from behind were so overpowered that one of the most successful defensive strategies was to let someone skate past you and then graze him with a check - he'd lose the puck pretty much every time.

Holding LT (backskating) and then releasing it while skating up ice gave people a ridiculous speed burst when they came out of the half spin.

What we need is the beta tuning with these problems fixed. Going back to the original beta without fixing these things is just going to replace people's current frustration with the game with a new set of frustrations.

100% agreed.

To me this appears the opposite of lazy. There are many issues being brought up and argued which have been the product of the tuners. So, instead of one last round of poke and hope, they are completely resetting the apple cart, surveying, and will implement something which hopefully will make a greater portion of the community happy by making the game better to play.

No way. We already know the beta, saw that movie, know how it ends. So do the devs, the effect was posted in the OP. We're going to get a loose-puck-athon with over powered stick lifts, useless pokes and your player will skate passed the puck 4x before picking it up. Return of the super nudge. The only reason they're throwing this bone out there is to jog people's memories. Hope it lasts 20 minutes
  • jiajji wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »

100% agreed.

No way. We already know the beta, saw that movie, know how it ends. So do the devs, the effect was posted in the OP. We're going to get a loose-puck-athon with over powered stick lifts, useless pokes and your player will skate passed the puck 4x before picking it up. Return of the super nudge. The only reason they're throwing this bone out there is to jog people's memories. Hope it lasts 20 minutes

Well..the sluggish ragfest 30+min penaltyAthon continues to be a blast with the Highlander© Stick lifts being so useful that I’ve actually remapped it to guarantee no accidentals. As for the shoves. I had no problem with them for the most part..it was largely that the puck velcro’d to the ice. That was lame obviously. Also..stick play is a constant out on the ice. From the nhl to afternoon shinny. It’s embarassing how the players behave regarding stick contact and penalties..

Anyway, I hadn’t played nhl since 15 so my opinions are skewed making this exercise especially interesting.

No, they will not be fixed for NHL 19. They're working towards a fix for NHL 20, this was leaked in the chat with the gamechangers.
  • I've ripped on EA for e not listening to their customers for years. This is an absolute shock to me. Maybe they're turning a new leaf but I will say in very happy and give them credit for this. Hopefully they take the feedback seriously and only fix the few minor things in the beta tuner and we end up with a happy medium between beta and the newest tuner so that players of all types find enjoyment in the game play.

Now if we could only get a fix for DRE, and get those legend for offline play, it would go a long way in repairing the disdain that a lot of us have with them. It would also show that they truly care about their customers. Fingers crossed
  • I'm hoping EA gets this right, because right now the game is tuned towards players who want to feel safe with the puck. By that I mean they don't need to play like the NHL is currently. They don't need to make quick passes and get it off their stick quick within 2-3 seconds. The NHL is now all about quick puck movement, quick skating and high end skill. In NHL 19 you can hold the puck without worrying, in real life if you hold the puck any longer than 2-3 seconds it will be turned over and in the back of your net unless the other team is on a line change

I guess some players can't handle playing fast hockey, but stick to your guns and go back to the beta tuner permanently. Quick thinking, quick passes and fast skating. Remove ragging for good, nobody should ever feel safe holding on to the puck.

• LeFury_27 wrote: »
    I'm hoping EA gets this right, because right now the game is tuned towards players who want to feel safe with the puck. By that I mean they don't need to play like the NHL is currently. They don't need to make quick passes and get it off their stick quick within 2-3 seconds. The NHL is now all about quick puck movement, quick skating and high end skill. In NHL 19 you can hold the puck without worrying, in real life if you hold the puck any longer than 2-3 seconds it will be turned over and in the back of your net unless the other team is on a line change

I guess some players can't handle playing fast hockey, but stick to your guns and go back to the beta tuner permanently. Quick thinking, quick passes and fast skating. Remove ragging for good, nobody should ever feel safe holding on to the puck.

Yes. That is the main reason it's a good decision I'd say.
  • everybody is entitled to their opinions but there's a reason there was massive change made to the beta. It had huge issues. It had awesome potential but huge issues. They got some of that right. They slightly over tuned a couple of things. Going back is terrible, stupid and lazy.

If you don't realize this, they are setting this up to fail, likely to prove to all those that have been whining for beta tuners to come back that they were wrong. You can tell by their tone, they don't really agree with you that beta tuner was better and they are going to show you they are right, waste a lot of time and then go back to exactly where they are.

To anyone else that is wondering, this has NOTHING to do with DRE's and such. Those were all in Beta.
  • All I want is for the gameplay to feel more like hockey and less like a glitching and ragging fest that it can become online.
  • DRSteveyB wrote: »
    All I want is for the gameplay to feel more like hockey and less like a glitching and ragging fest that it can become online.

Trust me, we will get all that when they bring back the beta gameplay. The goalies will stop most of those goals because they played a lot better. Puck ragging will be a thing of the past since checking, agility and speed will be restored.

If there's one thing they could touch up on, it would be poke checks. Too many times my guy would be staring straight at the puck on stick and he would poke into the skates.

• They are going to revert to the Beta tuners for a brief period and then? Wasn't the skating the part that people liked, why can't you just bring that part back? This seems to me to be one of the most obvious shoulder shrugs I've ever seem from an alleged AAA publisher. I've only played NHL 19 a handful of times the last couple months, because I have little time to devote to gaming an a little thing called Red Dead Redemption came out, but NHL 19 is a game that's got so many problems from a replicating hockey aspect. I just don't know what is going on with this development team, it isn't encouraging. I"m honestly not even bothered by it that much anymore because I never want to play HUT or Wolrd of Chel or threes or ones anyway.
  • Awesome!!! I loved the beta.
    It was fast and crisp.
    You really had to move the puck to be successful!!!
    Nice work EA!
  • Too little, too late.

Playerbase moved on because you didn't have a spine and did this sooner.

We've been telling you guys for MONTHS, and you just now decide to do it? And your gonna be passive aggressive and try to blame us and tell us we are wrong?
  • Too little, too late.

Playerbase moved on because you didn't have a spine and did this sooner.

I disagree. If the game is fun and enjoyable, the players will return. I passed on NHL 19 this year because I absolutely HATED NHL 18. I liked the 19 Beta and had fun again for the first time since old gen, but I wanted to wait to see if they would ruin the game with tuners. They definitely did, so I was very glad I passed on it. But when I read that they are rolling back to the tuner, coupled with the fact that it was on sale for $24 (I wouldn't pay a penny more than that), I picked it up yesterday. Without those 2 factors, there was 0% chance I would have played at all this year.

I am a VS player, and in its current state, 19 feels almost identical to 18 with slightly better skating. Definitely a HUGE difference from the beta experience. I don't understand why after EA finally got some happy, feel-good reviews from the player base, they decided to revert back to NHL 18. Everyone hated that game, and it's because it was clunky, slow, and the optimal way to play it was trap on defense, and spin/curl/glide in the corners while creating invincibility bubbles and sniping short side on offense. super boring and super unrealistic hockey. There was nothing fun about that game whatsoever. I've had root canals more enjoyable. That was the game that broke the camels back for me. That is NOT how NHL level hockey games are played. Hockey is the most beautiful sport in the world. There is nothing prettier in all of sports than a great cycle and a dynamic finish off of great puck movement and sharp passing. How often in real hockey do you see 1 player go end to end, spin around in the corner for 30 seconds holding his stick out 3 feet from his body with a protective bubble around him, and snipe short side at the end?

The 19 Beta FINALLY got rid of those incredibly bad game-crippling bubbles and, and forced players to move the puck to be successful. Finally, we were able to set up some dynamic hockey plays again, something that has been missing in this series since last gen. Literally all that needed tweaking was some of those poke penalty angles, and the stick lifts which were addressed in 1.1

I agree with Venom though, the skating still has that table-top hockey swivel feel to it, and it's still a major problem in this series. That HAS to be addressed in this game. It still just doesn't feel right.

Kudos for finally making the players click on to their players and not let the AI do all the work for them. That's a big step forward in the gameplay.

But yeah, the tuners after 1.1 ruined this game for sure. It's now NHL 18.2, with the corner spin/glide dancing and the short side snipes. Like someone else said earlier, if people want that kind of game, they already have NHL 17 and 18. Why exchange something fresh and invigorating with that old game that everyone hated?

This is a good move, but should be rolled to 1.1 and left there IMO.
    “If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe.” - Nikola Tesla

• This is a great move by EA, this will give us a reference point in a controlled experiment here to get a fresh perspective on what we like better.

NHL 19 needs to be correction year, not a "let me exploit and win" year. This is quite unprecedented that EA listened and acted, they deserve credit for this, they've gone years and not done anything so this is something to be optimistic about going forward, its basically expanding the game changers from a small group to the community.

Skating agility, acceleration, and immediate responsiveness and classic vision control that works should be a point of focus on future tweaks to this game. This slow paced game is not fun to play, we need speed, quickness, agility, acceleration, vision control, which results in ultimate "responsiveness" is what we need to fully enjoy this game.
  • Ultimatomx
    2 posts New member
    edited December 2018
    What do you mean revert to Beta??? This game is still in Beta evidently. We can't even get a game started with all those lobby crashing. With all these years of experience in the field and a game that have been copy/pasted half a decade your team should be ashamed of the product you been putting out for the last few years...Please stop insulting our intelligence and pretending to be listening..
  • Thank you EA!!! :smiley: