EA Forums - Banner

An Update on Gameplay Feedback + Action Plan

Replies

• My personal EASHL reaction to this news...

It's really difficult to stay positive and be constructive and before I get upset and start inquiring about the exact date of when this will occur so I can delete the game off my system because i refuse to support this decision, I'm gonna keep a semi open mind but here we are, yet again, catering to the offensive players and lower skiled players in the game and are punishing the defensive players through sheer ignorance.

I'll tell you right now a beta complaint...
    (((P-O-K-E-C-H-E-C-K-I-N-G)))

I dont understand how difficult it is adjust sliders and tune the game without causing damage in the process. It's an every year occurance. I dont understand why the skating was tampered with to begin with. I dont understand why all the positives from previous games to present can just be implemented into one single game. I dont wanna hear about adjusting or skill gap or any other nonsense. I'm starting to think that the gamer isn't the one who needs that pep talk. I dont wanna have to deal with sitting an extra 10-15 minutes per game because now, in beta, penalties are gonna drag the game on longer. I dont wanna play defense and have to be passive and on edge because I lack the tools be successful and sit there n wait for a ballerina to exploit that fact and gain an advantage. The game has been out for nearly 5 months and will only be active till the end of Spring. So in mid January, EA decided to be proactive, only after more than half the games life has lived. I'm supposed to be happy that I paid full price for basically a beta and paid money for EA to go through the growing pains of game development. Every single year we hear the same stuff about some new gameplay innovation or gimmick to generate sales and every year you hear the community complain. If your servers were AAA quality as you promote your product to be, there was 100% balance between offense and defense and if you took every positive aspect from when your game became an online product then your adjustments and tuning would be very miniscule. I appreciate the fact EA is listening and trying to accommodate the community but it seems as if they aren't listening to the appropriate people. These surveys EA sends out can be manipulated. I would like to know who the targeted audience is they are trying to gain information from. Individually I know it's hard to gather feedback from everyone. As much as I'm not a fan of the EASHL organized leagues, these players should have all been exposed to this survey through the league's websites and been made to complete them. If the players playing in them leagues filled them out, then they could have spread the word to their club teammates as well. At least in them leagues, there is just about every skill level of player and they are the most active in this mode of EASHL.

I have multiple attempts to share my ideas and thoughts and have been basically ignored but I'll trying.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    1.)The skating was almost perfect in the beta.
    Changes I'd want:
    A- The lame stamina excuse for defenders catching a person on a breakaway needs to go. I'm fairly certain majority of these dmen have slower stats than the forwards do especially on straight breakaways.
    Byfuglien destroyed Burns from a smart poke and wasn't caught.

B- Acceleration needs to matter much more so we can see the plays that happen in real life where defenders get left in the dust when they miss a poke check on the rush trying to trap them from entering the zone. This is single the biggest thing people hate is how easy it is to play trap hockey on the blue line. The dump and chase doesn't work either because the defender can still beat the offense to it.

2.) Hitting/Pokechecking/Sticklifting for the most part was very solid.
    Changes I'd want:
    A- The bumps from BEHIND ONLY needed greatly toned down (unless the backskater is going towards the hit)
    B- Pokechecks while skating should be about as accurate as they were in the beta, but if a player is in a more controlled state of gliding then a pokecheck aimed at the stick with a decent gap should do a great job at dislodging the puck from the offender.
    C- I know I'd prefer sticklifts to remain how they currently are

As for the other aspects they weren't really changes that were announced in NHL 19 so I'd save that for an NHL 20 changes I'd want to see.

Hopefully with this revert we can right the ship of this game.

Its obviously you are a forward after reading how you basically just want defensemen to be slow, useless pylons. So all defensemen should be slower than forwards, not be able to hit or poke and defensemen all need to be in a controlled gliding state to effective yet all forwards should have elite acceleration and balance and hall of fame puck control is what you are saying. If what you are saying would ever happen then it would be tiny danglers with playmaker passing n sniper shooting vs big defensive defensemen with the defensive skills of an offensive defenseman. This very mindset is why this game in the state of disarray it is in and that revert would sink the ship permanently.
  • It seems pretty easy to just revert back to an old tuner instead of making an effort to come up with a compromise that takes into account all of the feedback received.
  • My personal EASHL reaction to this news...

It's really difficult to stay positive and be constructive and before I get upset and start inquiring about the exact date of when this will occur so I can delete the game off my system because i refuse to support this decision, I'm gonna keep a semi open mind but here we are, yet again, catering to the offensive players and lower skiled players in the game and are punishing the defensive players through sheer ignorance.

I'll tell you right now a beta complaint...
    (((P-O-K-E-C-H-E-C-K-I-N-G)))

I dont understand how difficult it is adjust sliders and tune the game without causing damage in the process. It's an every year occurance. I dont understand why the skating was tampered with to begin with. I dont understand why all the positives from previous games to present can just be implemented into one single game. I dont wanna hear about adjusting or skill gap or any other nonsense. I'm starting to think that the gamer isn't the one who needs that pep talk. I dont wanna have to deal with sitting an extra 10-15 minutes per game because now, in beta, penalties are gonna drag the game on longer. I dont wanna play defense and have to be passive and on edge because I lack the tools be successful and sit there n wait for a ballerina to exploit that fact and gain an advantage. The game has been out for nearly 5 months and will only be active till the end of Spring. So in mid January, EA decided to be proactive, only after more than half the games life has lived. I'm supposed to be happy that I paid full price for basically a beta and paid money for EA to go through the growing pains of game development. Every single year we hear the same stuff about some new gameplay innovation or gimmick to generate sales and every year you hear the community complain. If your servers were AAA quality as you promote your product to be, there was 100% balance between offense and defense and if you took every positive aspect from when your game became an online product then your adjustments and tuning would be very miniscule. I appreciate the fact EA is listening and trying to accommodate the community but it seems as if they aren't listening to the appropriate people. These surveys EA sends out can be manipulated. I would like to know who the targeted audience is they are trying to gain information from. Individually I know it's hard to gather feedback from everyone. As much as I'm not a fan of the EASHL organized leagues, these players should have all been exposed to this survey through the league's websites and been made to complete them. If the players playing in them leagues filled them out, then they could have spread the word to their club teammates as well. At least in them leagues, there is just about every skill level of player and they are the most active in this mode of EASHL.

I have multiple attempts to share my ideas and thoughts and have been basically ignored but I'll trying.

It was too hard to read this whole post with no paragraph breaks, so I'll just comment on the bold part:

Defense was a lot easier in the beta. By Far. Poke checking was harder. Everything else was far easier, including hitting and stick lifting.

And EA absolutely did listen. Maybe not to you, but I've seen like 3 posts from you. All of us who have been complaining non-stop for months were listened to, which is amazing.

I'm looking forward to it, and maybe this time EA will only fix the pokes and be done.
  • It seems pretty easy to just revert back to an old tuner instead of making an effort to come up with a compromise that takes into account all of the feedback received.

But that’s exactly the plan. They are gonna start from scratch...then get opinions ...then change according to feedback.

But that’s exactly the plan. They are gonna start from scratch...then get opinions ...then change according to feedback.

But they got tons of feedback during the beta and early release, most of which identified the obvious problems with the tuner - pokechecking, spam sticklifting, the overpowered nudges from behind, and the ridiculous speed burst you got from holding LT. This time around they're going to get the exact same feedback, because those problems were obvious and unignorable. So what's the point of starting from scratch?

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    It seems pretty easy to just revert back to an old tuner instead of making an effort to come up with a compromise that takes into account all of the feedback received.

But they got tons of feedback during the beta and early release, most of which identified the obvious problems with the tuner - pokechecking, spam sticklifting, the overpowered nudges from behind, and the ridiculous speed burst you got from holding LT. This time around they're going to get the exact same feedback, because those problems were obvious and unignorable. So what's the point of starting from scratch?

Because people who complained about that stuff, like myself, now have the benefit of seeing the future. We know how certain things get changed if we complain about them. So we can now weigh if it was better in beta or in 1.03, and can decide if we still want to complain.

I personally found 1.00 to be perfect, which I hope is where we will end up at in the end.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Follisimo wrote: »
    1.)The skating was almost perfect in the beta.
    Changes I'd want:
    A- The lame stamina excuse for defenders catching a person on a breakaway needs to go. I'm fairly certain majority of these dmen have slower stats than the forwards do especially on straight breakaways.
    Byfuglien destroyed Burns from a smart poke and wasn't caught.

B- Acceleration needs to matter much more so we can see the plays that happen in real life where defenders get left in the dust when they miss a poke check on the rush trying to trap them from entering the zone. This is single the biggest thing people hate is how easy it is to play trap hockey on the blue line. The dump and chase doesn't work either because the defender can still beat the offense to it.

2.) Hitting/Pokechecking/Sticklifting for the most part was very solid.
    Changes I'd want:
    A- The bumps from BEHIND ONLY needed greatly toned down (unless the backskater is going towards the hit)
    B- Pokechecks while skating should be about as accurate as they were in the beta, but if a player is in a more controlled state of gliding then a pokecheck aimed at the stick with a decent gap should do a great job at dislodging the puck from the offender.
    C- I know I'd prefer sticklifts to remain how they currently are

As for the other aspects they weren't really changes that were announced in NHL 19 so I'd save that for an NHL 20 changes I'd want to see.

Hopefully with this revert we can right the ship of this game.

What a strange post. How about you just play practice with no defense? Because it literally sounds like you want Superman forward ability while the defenders you play against amount to little more than ants.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    It seems pretty easy to just revert back to an old tuner instead of making an effort to come up with a compromise that takes into account all of the feedback received.

Glass half full man.
    Atleast they are listing and willing to make the game better for us.
  • Interesting.
    I'm really curious what will happen if people realize that the beta doesn't feel as "the beloved beta" anymore, simply because the game is not fresh anymore as it was back then.

I'm expecting most people will claim that this is definitely not the beta tunning that they "remember" and think the devs deluding them.
  • Ty_Hors wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Before the holidays begin, we just wanted to provide everyone with an update around NHL 19, and more specifically the feedback we have been hearing around the gameplay.

Over the past few months, we have been seeing a lot of people on all channels asking for us to revert to Beta tuners as they enjoyed the game better during that time frame. While we believe that the current gameplay has a lot of improvements from launch, we also recognize that there could be areas of gameplay that you preferred better in the past.

As a result, in mid-January we are going to be rolling back to the Beta Tuner for a limited time to get your feedback on what you like/dislike about the Beta Tuner compared to the current gameplay tuner. Please note that this will undo some of the positive changes that we’ve seen from the community, so you’ll be seeing some of the following occur again:
    • Poke checks will be more sensitive and cause more tripping penalties
    • AI goaltending performance will be different
    • The ability to drop your stick
    • Increase in incidental contact strength (bumps)
    • Decrease in penalties from stick lifts

After we change back from the tuner, we will be posting a feedback survey to gather your thoughts, likes, and dislikes on the Beta tuner.

While it is a little while until the tuner goes live, we wanted to provide you with an update as we know how passionate you are about the product. Once we get closer to the date of the tuner, we will provide an update with more information and details on what is happening, when it’s happening, and what you can expect.

Thank you for your dedication and feedback throughout NHL 19 and we hope everyone has a happy holidays!

- The EA SPORTS NHL Team

The photo of Pettersson as a headliner in this thread means that you update Peterssons and other player likenesses too ?
  • Interesting.
    I'm really curious what will happen if people realize that the beta doesn't feel as "the beloved beta" anymore, simply because the game is not fresh anymore as it was back then.

I'm expecting most people will claim that this is definitely not the beta tunning that they "remember" and think the devs deluding them.

But what if it is....

This whole exercise is about perceptions not really lining up with the changes made. Not to mention the interactions and side effects of those changes. I think that as the tuners rolled out the issues lied within the product of the changes, not the sum. Hence, a whole lot of confusion...and frustration.

Not to mention a whole lot of people actually want one thing changed when it’s really a product of other things. Such as the cheese goal thing which in my experience seems to be caused by the goalies angles, not reaction time. And so and and so forth
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • I can't count how many times I've hit a forward with more momentum than a forward ragging the puck. They are almost not moving at all and their stick is literally glitched through the boards. The press against the boards doesn't work half the time.

Also, if you bump a forward from behind who is barely moving. It should knock them off the puck. Right now, all it does is allow them to set up for glitch goals. 90% of the players do it. There's no point in defense or having a goalie when it goes in every other shot.
  • lol this whole "rollback" is going to be an utter disaster. kind of like this entire series these days. omg what i wouldn't give for this team to just produce one good game that wasn't a disaster in some major way.
  • xPDogg65x
    829 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    I can't count how many times I've hit a forward with more momentum than a forward ragging the puck. They are almost not moving at all and their stick is literally glitched through the boards. The press against the boards doesn't work half the time.

Also, if you bump a forward from behind who is barely moving. It should knock them off the puck. Right now, all it does is allow them to set up for glitch goals. 90% of the players do it. There's no point in defense or having a goalie when it goes in every other shot.

If someone is just holding the puck to either side then they should lose the puck when hit every time. If they are using the protect puck button, then the players puck control and balance along with the player that is hitting his body checking along with any other circumstances should all play a factor in what happens.
    But as we all know, that doesn’t happen.
  • lol this whole "rollback" is going to be an utter disaster. kind of like this entire series these days. omg what i wouldn't give for this team to just produce one good game that wasn't a disaster in some major way.

NHL 19 beta was amazing. What are you talking about?

• ExSnake01 wrote: »
    lol this whole "rollback" is going to be an utter disaster. kind of like this entire series these days. omg what i wouldn't give for this team to just produce one good game that wasn't a disaster in some major way.

The beta was good, it still had its problems ie. poke checking penalties and that stupid speed boost doing a half spin, but at least puck ragging and constantly scoring short side were not an issue.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    lol this whole "rollback" is going to be an utter disaster. kind of like this entire series these days. omg what i wouldn't give for this team to just produce one good game that wasn't a disaster in some major way.

beta was not amazing. it had potential to be amazing but it needed some major tweaks. Some of which they did and were great but some people don't like them. other things they made worse or had unintended consequences.

you don't roll back you move forward. they know this. they don't believe in this change they believe when you roll back everyone will complain about the state of the game and they can basically say "see we told you". Then go back to where we are today.

Big waste of time and resources. What they need to do is keep tweaking the existing game to get things right.

And lets not forget the Beta was a COMPLETE failure if you play real "6s" hockey. since half the player base couldn't even get into game and they have mostly quit now and the server population is basically that of a ghost town.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The matchmaking issues is separate. I only play versus so I never really had issues finding games. Comparing the current game to the beta "gameplay-wise", the beta was superior in every department. There's a reason why they are going to the beta tuners. Too many people do not like the current one.

I'm skeptical about EA bringing back the old tuners when considering that they haven't mentioned anything about speed or the delay input in the pinned thread. Both issues didn't show up until the October updates.
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Bumps are back and I am gone

Will take a few bumps from behind over unrealistic selfish puck ragging any day of the week. One of the most toxic things in game, especially when you can do it in your own end without having any worry of being shoved off the puck. Will be great to see players have to play as a team again instead of playing individualistic hockey.

Beta bumps were cancerous. Especially with defensive players more often that not being able to catch forwards on the rush/break.

If you’re blaming lack of bumps on the other team controlling the puck more often than you are; your game needs work. Plenty of teams cycle, it’s the only way to be successful in this game against high level players/teams.

Pokes, sweeps and proper positioning need to be the keys to good defense. Those are learned skills which need to be the focus.
    If your behind a guy, with speed, you’re beat

Dekes are utterly useless, speed on the rush is no longer a factor and now you want to be able to check from behind on breakaways again?

No thanks to that