EA Forums - Banner

An Update on Gameplay Feedback + Action Plan

Replies

• barrett098
    428 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Keep the beta turner, but ONLY and JUST ONLY change the pokes and stick lifts to what it is now and game will be fine. Is that really hard to do?
  • MORE tripping penalties??? Is this a joke???? You don’t have enough already
  • Kriptical476
    377 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    How are where pokes are now good. Most drop in 6v6 are averaging 30+min of stick infractions a game. That’s not only nuts, but game defining and dumb.

Besides..in hockey..more often than not it’s take the body(check or shoving), then stick lift once you’ve got position. Actual pokes are awkward, committing your body and leaving you a bit vulnerable. Sure it’s much less of a commitment these days with sticks making feathers seem heavy but the point remains.

As for speed. Short burst acceleration Needs to be quicker. Also stopping distance from that speed should probably be a little shorter. I will say that acceleration from 75-100% should be reduced slightly with the current stopping distance being fine.

The shoves we’re fine. Velcro puck. Not at all. Listen...if my 42 year old **** can catch and shove the prep school/college kids off the puck in shinny so should my avatar in game.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • when it comes to the skating tunning, what version would you guys rather have in the game? I think the "DEFAULT" is what makes you think the game is responsive, right?

• Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    Comparing the current game to the beta "gameplay-wise", the beta was superior in every department.

It was absolutely not superior in every department. The poke checks were badly tuned. You could spam stick lift without fear of taking a penalty. Defensemen paid no penalty for letting people skate past them on the rush because they could just graze them and knock the puck loose. And holding down LT gave you a completely artificial speed burst. All of these things were improved by the tuners that followed the beta.

And we're not even talking about the fact that in the beta you never needed to use your 4th line, since players' energy regenerated quickly at whistles.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    How are where pokes are now good. Most drop in 6v6 are averaging 30+min of stick infractions a game. That’s not only nuts, but game defining and dumb.

I haven't seem 30 minutes in tripping calls since the first week. Maybe you're getting in to games with low CR's that just don't know how to poke yet.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

I haven't seem 30 minutes in tripping calls since the first week. Maybe you're getting in to games with low CR's that just don't know how to poke yet.

I’ve definitly been on a slide the past week. But out of almost 300 drop ins my Dnf is 2% so /shrug. Average cr in games is about 500 and will stretch out between 350-800ish at odd times. That’s not to say i don’t get good games now and again but they tend to be outliers.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Bumps are back and I am gone

Will take a few bumps from behind over unrealistic selfish puck ragging any day of the week. One of the most toxic things in game, especially when you can do it in your own end without having any worry of being shoved off the puck. Will be great to see players have to play as a team again instead of playing individualistic hockey.

Beta bumps were cancerous. Especially with defensive players more often that not being able to catch forwards on the rush/break.

If you’re blaming lack of bumps on the other team controlling the puck more often than you are; your game needs work. Plenty of teams cycle, it’s the only way to be successful in this game against high level players/teams.

Pokes, sweeps and proper positioning need to be the keys to good defense. Those are learned skills which need to be the focus.
    If your behind a guy, with speed, you’re beat

Dekes are utterly useless, speed on the rush is no longer a factor and now you want to be able to check from behind on breakaways again?

No thanks to that

The bump separated the creative hockey teams from those who are not.
  • PadrinoIV wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

Will take a few bumps from behind over unrealistic selfish puck ragging any day of the week. One of the most toxic things in game, especially when you can do it in your own end without having any worry of being shoved off the puck. Will be great to see players have to play as a team again instead of playing individualistic hockey.

Beta bumps were cancerous. Especially with defensive players more often that not being able to catch forwards on the rush/break.

If you’re blaming lack of bumps on the other team controlling the puck more often than you are; your game needs work. Plenty of teams cycle, it’s the only way to be successful in this game against high level players/teams.

Pokes, sweeps and proper positioning need to be the keys to good defense. Those are learned skills which need to be the focus.

Dekes are utterly useless, speed on the rush is no longer a factor and now you want to be able to check from behind on breakaways again?

No thanks to that

Absolutely...the game was a lot more fun with a looser puck!!
  • barrett098 wrote: »
    Keep the beta turner, but ONLY and JUST ONLY change the pokes and stick lifts to what it is now and game will be fine. Is that really hard to do?

The stick lifts are utterly useless now. They need to go back.
  • Oh wow, best christmas present ever, thanks Satan! I mean Santa, thanks Santa...

While we can all agree beta was the best overall tuner, you can't deny it could be made even better, so i'd like to have a sweet hybrid that will make everyone happy.

Beta goalies were great and forced people to make better plays. You could actually rely on your goalie for once!

Dropping the stick -- I don't enjoy how random this is and i would personally like to see it removed again.

Incidental bumps -- I will take this over puck ragging any day; It's not optimal when you can get wrecked from behind but its lower on my list of priorities. That said, this needs to be more balanced than the beta and size and speed need to have more of an impact. It's almost there, just not quite.

Beta pokes -- I wasn't a fan at first but they really grew on me, made the game much more tactical. I will say though that you need to impliment that first tweak you did to lower the trip sensitivity. It was perfect after that until all the weird slashing problems started happening.

• TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    Oh wow, best christmas present ever, thanks Satan! I mean Santa, thanks Santa...

While we can all agree beta was the best overall tuner, you can't deny it could be made even better, so i'd like to have a sweet hybrid that will make everyone happy.

Beta goalies were great and forced people to make better plays. You could actually rely on your goalie for once!

Dropping the stick -- I don't enjoy how random this is and i would personally like to see it removed again.

Incidental bumps -- I will take this over puck ragging any day; It's not optimal when you can get wrecked from behind but its lower on my list of priorities. That said, this needs to be more balanced than the beta and size and speed need to have more of an impact. It's almost there, just not quite.

Beta pokes -- I wasn't a fan at first but they really grew on me, made the game much more tactical. I will say though that you need to impliment that first tweak you did to lower the trip sensitivity. It was perfect after that until all the weird slashing problems started happening.

Yup! This pretty much sums it up!!
    This would make NHL fun for the rest of the season.
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    The matchmaking issues is separate. I only play versus so I never really had issues finding games. Comparing the current game to the beta "gameplay-wise", the beta was superior in every department. There's a reason why they are going to the beta tuners. Too many people do not like the current one.

I'm skeptical about EA bringing back the old tuners when considering that they haven't mentioned anything about speed or the delay input in the pinned thread. Both issues didn't show up until the October updates.

They really aren't "going back" the the beta tuners. Sounds like they are going to temporarily put that code back on just to show people the difference. My assumptions are they plan on taking some feedback from that and then put the current version back on while they work on next version possibly making some tweaks based on that feedback.

It's so dumb. Just play that damn game as it is now and fix what is currently broke. It's painfully obvious.

I will say this. Something seems wrong with the non-EASHL characters. when i play offline or vs with my son it seems much slower and clunkier than EASHL does. Maybe that's why some people are complaining more about some things than I am. Maybe they are VS/HUT players. Who knows.
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    Oh wow, best christmas present ever, thanks Satan! I mean Santa, thanks Santa...

LOL and good stuff overall. You get it. And boy do I agree with the goalies. The harder the damn goalies are, the better ! Death to cheese and op creativity.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    How are the pokes better now compared to beta? They honestly feel the same to me. I'm seeing players go to the penalty box all the time still...

@jmwalsh8888
    It's true the stick lifts were spammed a lot but very different now because of the tuners.19 is almost identical to 18 since they are now penalty buttons. I would like to actually use it without assuming I'd get a penalty almost every time. Beta gameplay was much more entertaining compared to the trash we have today.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018

It's so dumb. Just play that damn game as it is now and fix what is currently broke. It's painfully obvious.

I will say this. Something seems wrong with the non-EASHL characters. when i play offline or vs with my son it seems much slower and clunkier than EASHL does. Maybe that's why some people are complaining more about some things than I am. Maybe they are VS/HUT players. Who knows.

I'm willing to bet less people are playing it now compared to before because so many didn't like the changes made by EA. VS is slow and clunky because of the updates/tuners. You can thank EA for making those changes and taking this game back two or three steps.

• ExSnake01 wrote: »
    The matchmaking issues is separate. I only play versus so I never really had issues finding games. Comparing the current game to the beta "gameplay-wise", the beta was superior in every department. There's a reason why they are going to the beta tuners. Too many people do not like the current one.

I'm skeptical about EA bringing back the old tuners when considering that they haven't mentioned anything about speed or the delay input in the pinned thread. Both issues didn't show up until the October updates.

They really aren't "going back" the the beta tuners. Sounds like they are going to temporarily put that code back on just to show people the difference. My assumptions are they plan on taking some feedback from that and then put the current version back on while they work on next version possibly making some tweaks based on that feedback.

That's what all of us said to the crybaby figure skaters before 1.03 ruined the game. Except EA dropped 1.03 which broke a bunch of stuff that worked fine.

Personally, I found 1.00 to be perfect, but I'll still take beta any day over the NHL 18 doppelganger of 1.03
  • The problem isn't in the pokes or sticklifts. The problem is in those L3 dekes they are way too difficult to counter with anything. Radically nerf those and the game will be better.
  • Myckan wrote: »
    The problem isn't in the pokes or sticklifts. The problem is in those L3 dekes they are way too difficult to counter with anything. Radically nerf those and the game will be better.

The sticklifts are definitely a problem.
  • PadrinoIV wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

No thanks to that

Sorry, but no it does not. You can be just as creative without bumps as with them. That’s a straw man argument if I’ve ever heard one.

The bumps are an excuse for poor defending. At extremely slow speeds, fine. Bumps are bumps. If I have speed, and I’m by you. You’re beat. You aren’t going to hit me from behind and push me off the puck. That’s not physics. Try and bump me from behind while skating in real life and you’re going to fall on your face or get a face full of my skates.

Not to mention just bumping some instantly kills all your speed. This isn’t better for the game, it’s better for the weaker players who haven’t figured out how to keep the attacking player in front of him.

I find it hilarious that it’s not possible for any players or teams to be good at this game without being “cheesers” or “glitchers”. Maybe you’re just not as good as you think you are?

This is why a competive mod is needed for league gamers and the regular game tune can be left to the casual players. Too many differences of opinion.

This game is already dead offensively and now it’s back To you can breathe on a guy and take the puck? It’s ridiculous.

Too Much skill being taken out of the game. I’m here to play hockey, not to have the game do all the work for me.