EA Forums - Banner

An Update on Gameplay Feedback + Action Plan

Replies

• PadrinoIV wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Bumps are back and I am gone

Will take a few bumps from behind over unrealistic selfish puck ragging any day of the week. One of the most toxic things in game, especially when you can do it in your own end without having any worry of being shoved off the puck. Will be great to see players have to play as a team again instead of playing individualistic hockey.

Beta bumps were cancerous. Especially with defensive players more often that not being able to catch forwards on the rush/break.

If you’re blaming lack of bumps on the other team controlling the puck more often than you are; your game needs work. Plenty of teams cycle, it’s the only way to be successful in this game against high level players/teams.

Pokes, sweeps and proper positioning need to be the keys to good defense. Those are learned skills which need to be the focus.
    If your behind a guy, with speed, you’re beat

Dekes are utterly useless, speed on the rush is no longer a factor and now you want to be able to check from behind on breakaways again?

No thanks to that

The bump separated the creative hockey teams from those who are not.

Sorry, but no it does not. You can be just as creative without bumps as with them. That’s a straw man argument if I’ve ever heard one.

The bumps are an excuse for poor defending. At extremely slow speeds, fine. Bumps are bumps. If I have speed, and I’m by you. You’re beat. You aren’t going to hit me from behind and push me off the puck. That’s not physics. Try and bump me from behind while skating in real life and you’re going to fall on your face or get a face full of my skates.

Not to mention just bumping some instantly kills all your speed. This isn’t better for the game, it’s better for the weaker players who haven’t figured out how to keep the attacking player in front of him.

I find it hilarious that it’s not possible for any players or teams to be good at this game without being “cheesers” or “glitchers”. Maybe you’re just not as good as you think you are?

This is why a competive mod is needed for league gamers and the regular game tune can be left to the casual players. Too many differences of opinion.

This game is already dead offensively and now it’s back To you can breathe on a guy and take the puck? It’s ridiculous.

Too Much skill being taken out of the game. I’m here to play hockey, not to have the game do all the work for me.

Maybe not you but a great majority of players think playing good hockey is circlling and figure skating in the corner without passing to wait for the short side to open up. That's the hugest problem imo. It's less the games fault and more the win at all cost attitude these cheeseballs have
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    So I hear about how poke checks are better now but they seem almost identical. The bumps from behind still losing puck still happens. Or bump into a players skates and still losing it.

At least in the beta, the hitting was better and also everyone skated faster. This is why we now see puck ragging or skating in circles as a tactic now. The hitting and speed has been decreased.

Getting breakaways was more easily done in the beta. In the current game, too many times you can beat a d-man but he can always skate backwards just as fast as someone skating forward. What kind of logic is this? How is that realistic or even fun?

What improvements have we seen in the current game compared to beta? I'd really like to see someone explain this.
  • Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    PadrinoIV wrote: »

Will take a few bumps from behind over unrealistic selfish puck ragging any day of the week. One of the most toxic things in game, especially when you can do it in your own end without having any worry of being shoved off the puck. Will be great to see players have to play as a team again instead of playing individualistic hockey.

Beta bumps were cancerous. Especially with defensive players more often that not being able to catch forwards on the rush/break.

If you’re blaming lack of bumps on the other team controlling the puck more often than you are; your game needs work. Plenty of teams cycle, it’s the only way to be successful in this game against high level players/teams.

Pokes, sweeps and proper positioning need to be the keys to good defense. Those are learned skills which need to be the focus.

Dekes are utterly useless, speed on the rush is no longer a factor and now you want to be able to check from behind on breakaways again?

No thanks to that

Sorry, but no it does not. You can be just as creative without bumps as with them. That’s a straw man argument if I’ve ever heard one.

The bumps are an excuse for poor defending. At extremely slow speeds, fine. Bumps are bumps. If I have speed, and I’m by you. You’re beat. You aren’t going to hit me from behind and push me off the puck. That’s not physics. Try and bump me from behind while skating in real life and you’re going to fall on your face or get a face full of my skates.

Not to mention just bumping some instantly kills all your speed. This isn’t better for the game, it’s better for the weaker players who haven’t figured out how to keep the attacking player in front of him.

I find it hilarious that it’s not possible for any players or teams to be good at this game without being “cheesers” or “glitchers”. Maybe you’re just not as good as you think you are?

This is why a competive mod is needed for league gamers and the regular game tune can be left to the casual players. Too many differences of opinion.

This game is already dead offensively and now it’s back To you can breathe on a guy and take the puck? It’s ridiculous.

Too Much skill being taken out of the game. I’m here to play hockey, not to have the game do all the work for me.

Maybe not you but a great majority of players think playing good hockey is circlling and figure skating in the corner without passing to wait for the short side to open up. That's the hugest problem imo. It's less the games fault and more the win at all cost attitude these cheeseballs have

How are those guys in the corner in the first place? Did the d men press the blue line on the rush to force a dump or did they let the attacker into the zone untouched allowing them to setup their offence? If so, Why are you sending defenders to chase those guys instead of collapsing the D in the slot?

Why does the game have to change for you to adapt rather than the other way around?

No thanks to that

Apparently not, since you made a whole post ranting about how much harder offense will be.

No thanks to that

Apparently not, since you made a whole post ranting about how much harder offense will be.

Offence is already difficult given the tools the defenders have. It would harder for offence with bumps back

Is that clearer for you?

No thanks to that

And yes it’s easier for offence with no bumps, but I as I stated I’ve already skated by you. You’re out of the play. Bumps give you a chance to stay in a play that’s already by you

As I stated. Low speed bumps, fine. Full speed. You’re beat. Plain and simple

No thanks to that

Offence is already difficult given the tools the defenders have. It would harder for offence with bumps back

Is that clearer for you?

Offense is easy. I routinely score 2 goals in HUT minimum and my team of all 84 - 85s are routinely outclassed by teams of 90s. Offense used to be hard and require creativity. If it's hard for you to score in 1.03, you're doing it wrong.
  • We also want some information on offline legends. If we could get some that would be very helpful.
  • We also want some information on offline legends. If we could get some that would be very helpful.

Highly doubtful. That would mean them admitting they're scamming us

No thanks to that

Is that clearer for you?

Offense is easy. I routinely score 2 goals in HUT minimum and my team of all 84 - 85s are routinely outclassed by teams of 90s. Offense used to be hard and require creativity. If it's hard for you to score in 1.03, you're doing it wrong.

I don’t play hut. I play 6s and offline. Scoring on bots is easy. Humans not so much.(I’m talking competitive gameplay , not drop in)

Again, why we need a tuner for 6s gameplay and 1s gameplay. Two different animals.

• To be honest I hope they don’t make NHL 20 they should start waiting an extra year to make the next game in the NHL series cuz what’s rushing the next game out each September accomplishing? Making each fan pay 80$ for a roster / content update that doesn’t work half the time each September making EA bust their buts to making a game the best they can in a short period of time that only gets criticized and runs their company’s name in the dirt more and more each year just to break Evan on the cost for the game production if they took an extra year the game would be better no problems they could check re check and quadruple check any server or game mode bugs well before launch might have to re work hut a little bit to make it last two seasons but a good friend of mine had a sweet idea Make out cards like the evolution ones with the full player art like the Gretzky pre order card that increase and decrease in overall based on how the player performance is after every week in real life. do it for ever player and card in the NHL why should I have a 90 goalie that let’s in no more than 2 goals a game in hut that’s bin on a consistent almost 5+ goals a game for almost a month but he’s 90 skill just cuz hes got a millstone or two right cmon the mode needs a change and best of all the frostbite engine would be on their list to do right away but instead we get a beta tuner mid season missing players in franchise trash lobby servers in Eashl and a pay to win hut mode and ea gets criticized to the mud and loses money each year let’s keep it up every one / EA cuz at this rate there won’t be a nhl game
  • The puck ragging is getting ridiculous. People just hold backhand/forehand and glide around and can't be checked or bumped off the puck. Even when I have a 90+ checking dman. Fix this.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    How are where pokes are now good. Most drop in 6v6 are averaging 30+min of stick infractions a game. That’s not only nuts, but game defining and dumb.

I haven't seem 30 minutes in tripping calls since the first week. Maybe you're getting in to games with low CR's that just don't know how to poke yet.

If you're still averaging 4 minutes per game in the box as an individual player you're just bad.

At this point you should be stringing games without a penalty.
  • Myckan wrote: »
    The problem isn't in the pokes or sticklifts. The problem is in those L3 dekes they are way too difficult to counter with anything. Radically nerf those and the game will be better.

The sticklifts are definitely a problem.

Disagree.

Everyone has a different opinion, that's one of the reasons reverting to the unpolished version is silly.

I'd love to know how many people purchased this game vs how many people are on social media complaining. I bet it's a huge difference, the other reason reverting is a dumb idea.
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    The matchmaking issues is separate. I only play versus so I never really had issues finding games. Comparing the current game to the beta "gameplay-wise", the beta was superior in every department. There's a reason why they are going to the beta tuners. Too many people do not like the current one.

I'm skeptical about EA bringing back the old tuners when considering that they haven't mentioned anything about speed or the delay input in the pinned thread. Both issues didn't show up until the October updates.

They really aren't "going back" the the beta tuners. Sounds like they are going to temporarily put that code back on just to show people the difference. My assumptions are they plan on taking some feedback from that and then put the current version back on while they work on next version possibly making some tweaks based on that feedback.

It's so dumb. Just play that damn game as it is now and fix what is currently broke. It's painfully obvious.

I will say this. Something seems wrong with the non-EASHL characters. when i play offline or vs with my son it seems much slower and clunkier than EASHL does. Maybe that's why some people are complaining more about some things than I am. Maybe they are VS/HUT players. Who knows.

That's what all of us said to the crybaby figure skaters before 1.03 ruined the game. Except EA dropped 1.03 which broke a bunch of stuff that worked fine.

Personally, I found 1.00 to be perfect, but I'll still take beta any day over the NHL 18 doppelganger of 1.03

No such thing as figure skating, it hasn't existed since they removed the ability to change direction at speed & sticks/pucks went through your legs. Now "figure skating" is code for "I need devs to make me better at the game".
  • MooseHunter10
    403 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    This is a great thing, and its on the community now to not blow it.

Reading through this thread, Im making assumptions on what modes people play, what positions they play if its EASHL, and how many humans/ai are on the ice if its 6s. Assumptions will make donkeys of us all.

For the love of hockey, please be clear about where your opinions are coming from, and hopefully a clear split can be found so that each mode can have its own tuner.

Personally, I only play 6s club EASHL with ai goalies and usually only 3 humans (sometimes 2, rarely 4+).
    Current tuner - only fun playing forward, and our objective with the puck is to either take the glide across shortside curl wrister on zone entry, or to get to the corner to curl.
    Beta memories - struggling to play proper gaps and telling myself I need to get better. Telling myself to stop pressing the poke button, and telling others they deserved every single tripping penalty they took.

semi off topic idea - can punish bad pokes with a stick drop instead of a penalty. You'll see this happen several times a game in the NHL.
    EASHL player

No thanks to that

Is that clearer for you?

Exactly. More creativity needed.

No thanks to that

Is that clearer for you?

I don’t play hut. I play 6s and offline. Scoring on bots is easy. Humans not so much.(I’m talking competitive gameplay , not drop in)

Again, why we need a tuner for 6s gameplay and 1s gameplay. Two different animals.

Yes. 3s, 6s and 1s are not the same thing.
  • This is a great thing, and its on the community now to not blow it.

Reading through this thread, Im making assumptions on what modes people play, what positions they play if its EASHL, and how many humans/ai are on the ice if its 6s. Assumptions will make donkeys of us all.

For the love of hockey, please be clear about where your opinions are coming from, and hopefully a clear split can be found so that each mode can have its own tuner.

Personally, I only play 6s club EASHL with ai goalies and usually only 3 humans (sometimes 2, rarely 4+).
    Current tuner - only fun playing forward, and our objective with the puck is to either take the glide across shortside curl wrister on zone entry, or to get to the corner to curl.
    Beta memories - struggling to play proper gaps and telling myself I need to get better. Telling myself to stop pressing the poke button, and telling others they deserved every single tripping penalty they took.

semi off topic idea - can punish bad pokes with a stick drop instead of a penalty. You'll see this happen several times a game in the NHL.

Same here. And koodos for the creative idea regarding pokes ! Alternative punishment.
  • magicmittsmase
    139 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    And yes it’s easier for offence with no bumps, but I as I stated I’ve already skated by you. You’re out of the play. Bumps give you a chance to stay in a play that’s already by you

As I stated. Low speed bumps, fine. Full speed. You’re beat. Plain and simple

No one is screaming to have bumps back in the game so that they can knock people off of the puck when they've been beaten. In order to successfully hit in this game you have to be skating full speed on almost every attempt, and that isn't the least bit realistic. I played in a game yesterday where a player deflected 3 hits, from three different defenders, in the corner and managed to wiggle his way out into the slot and score on a SS wrister. This is not hockey - this is called puck ragging. In no world is a player pulling this off because the defenders are making contact with "low relative speed hits". If this guy attempted this in the beta, A. he would have paid the consequences for not facilitating the puck to create offense and B. The goalie likely stops his SS glitch attempt. The only tool defense has at this moment in time is poke checking and occasional stick lift (a lot of people moan about the current state of poke checking but I have no gripes. Even in the beta I wasnt taking many trips). Outside of this, hitting is almost non-existent and you're forced to play a "sit and wait" style without being able to pressure the puck carrier.

Also, just because a player is in the corner does NOT mean that they have beaten you. A good defender will keep the play on the outside at all times so if you want to skate into the zone and make a b line to the goal line, be my guest. The problem with the current game is what happens after the player gets to the goal line. I can't cut him off and lay a hit like I could in beta, so he's fine with sticking to the outside to stop and start into the corners until he's shrugged off 45 hits and finds an opening. We want a hockey game that resembles....hockey. If you think the current state of the game portrays it better than the beta, I need to come watch whatever sport you claim hockey to be.

[Edited quote for clarity - @EA_Roger ]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on