EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

An Update on Gameplay Feedback + Action Plan

Replies

• PadrinoIV
    885 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    And yes it’s easier for offence with no bumps, but I as I stated I’ve already skated by you. You’re out of the play. Bumps give you a chance to stay in a play that’s already by you

As I stated. Low speed bumps, fine. Full speed. You’re beat. Plain and simple

No one is screaming to have bumps back in the game so that they can knock people off of the puck when they've been beaten. In order to successfully hit in this game you have to be skating full speed on almost every attempt, and that isn't the least bit realistic. I played in a game yesterday where a player deflected 3 hits, from three different defenders, in the corner and managed to wiggle his way out into the slot and score on a SS wrister. This is not hockey - this is called puck ragging. In no world is a player pulling this off because the defenders are making contact with "low relative speed hits". If this guy attempted this in the beta, A. he would have paid the consequences for not facilitating the puck to create offense and B. The goalie likely stops his SS glitch attempt. The only tool defense has at this moment in time is poke checking and occasional stick lift (a lot of people moan about the current state of poke checking but I have no gripes. Even in the beta I wasnt taking many trips). Outside of this, hitting is almost non-existent and you're forced to play a "sit and wait" style without being able to pressure the puck carrier.

Also, just because a player is in the corner does NOT mean that they have beaten you. A good defender will keep the play on the outside at all times so if you want to skate into the zone and make a b line to the goal line, be my guest. The problem with the current game is what happens after the player gets to the goal line. I can't cut him off and lay a hit like I could in beta, so he's fine with sticking to the outside to stop and start into the corners until he's shrugged off 45 hits and finds an opening. We want a hockey game that resembles....hockey. If you think the current state of the game portrays it better than the beta, I need to come watch whatever sport you claim hockey to be.

[Edited quote for clarity - @EA_Roger ]

Thank you. Well said.
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • PadrinoIV wrote: »
    And yes it’s easier for offence with no bumps, but I as I stated I’ve already skated by you. You’re out of the play. Bumps give you a chance to stay in a play that’s already by you
    As I stated. Low speed bumps, fine. Full speed. You’re beat. Plain and simple

No one is screaming to have bumps back in the game so that they can knock people off of the puck when they've been beaten. In order to successfully hit in this game you have to be skating full speed on almost every attempt, and that isn't the least bit realistic. I played in a game yesterday where a player deflected 3 hits, from three different defenders, in the corner and managed to wiggle his way out into the slot and score on a SS wrister. This is not hockey - this is called puck ragging. In no world is a player pulling this off because the defenders are making contact with "low relative speed hits". If this guy attempted this in the beta, A. he would have paid the consequences for not facilitating the puck to create offense and B. The goalie likely stops his SS glitch attempt. The only tool defense has at this moment in time is poke checking and occasional stick lift (a lot of people moan about the current state of poke checking but I have no gripes. Even in the beta I wasnt taking many trips). Outside of this, hitting is almost non-existent and you're forced to play a "sit and wait" style without being able to pressure the puck carrier.

Also, just because a player is in the corner does NOT mean that they have beaten you. A good defender will keep the play on the outside at all times so if you want to skate into the zone and make a b line to the goal line, be my guest. The problem with the current game is what happens after the player gets to the goal line. I can't cut him off and lay a hit like I could in beta, so he's fine with sticking to the outside to stop and start into the corners until he's shrugged off 45 hits and finds an opening. We want a hockey game that resembles....hockey. If you think the current state of the game portrays it better than the beta, I need to come watch whatever sport you claim hockey to be.

Thank you. Well said.

Exactly!! As long as the puck doesn’t shoot backwards when bumped from behind...it will be great.
    A looser puck changes the whole game for the better.
    NOBODY likes the invisibility bubble....skate in the corner like the hulk until someone is open... type of hockey. It’s so boring and videogamish....
    Unless it’s the only way you can score...you should agree on getting rid of it.
  • You say you don't want "bumps from behind that reward the player that is beat back" but yet you want the broken beta back that allows exactly that. Can't have it both ways.

The current game is better than beta. It just is. It's not perfect, I don't know why they keep fixing one little thing at a time and leaving broken crap for months, that's just EA. But the answer is not going backwards. Right now the game really just needs improvements on hitting and stick lift. They fix that and put all your resources into solving the dre issues and then you have the best nhl game at least since last gen consoles, if not best ever.

Going backwards is a terrible idea. Luckily they have basically said it's temporary. So I'll just take some time off. Not a big deal since almost no one plays this game anymore anyways.
  • You say you don't want "bumps from behind that reward the player that is beat back" but yet you want the broken beta back that allows exactly that. Can't have it both ways.

The current game is better than beta. It just is. It's not perfect, I don't know why they keep fixing one little thing at a time and leaving broken crap for months, that's just EA. But the answer is not going backwards. Right now the game really just needs improvements on hitting and stick lift. They fix that and put all your resources into solving the dre issues and then you have the best nhl game at least since last gen consoles, if not best ever.

Going backwards is a terrible idea. Luckily they have basically said it's temporary. So I'll just take some time off. Not a big deal since almost no one plays this game anymore anyways.

No one plays it, like you say, cause it's not better. A mix between beta and now will be. And that is what they are trying to do I bet.
  • Interesting.
    I'm really curious what will happen if people realize that the beta doesn't feel as "the beloved beta" anymore, simply because the game is not fresh anymore as it was back then.

I'm expecting most people will claim that this is definitely not the beta tunning that they "remember" and think the devs deluding them.

No way.

I have played NHL 14-19.

14-18 were extremely similar. Always defending the same junk, which is mostly player bubbles, corner tweakers and high glove snipes. 19 didn't have any of that, and it was fresh and different. I saw players curling their sticks and trying the old tricks. It is the first thing forwards do every single year. They simply didn't work. That is why I completely disagree that players are all of a sudden accustomed to 19 and that is why they are better.... No, they are better because they tuned the game back to 14-18. Reverting back to the beta we can then talk about "skill gap" because ragging won't be an option anymore. If you are that great of a forward, you will create that skill gap and score.

That is how I know the beta will absolutely be better than what we are playing now. I bought the game because of the beta and truly despise 18. I bought the beta, and got shifted 18 a couple months later. That is how different they both felt.
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Bumps are back and I am gone

Will take a few bumps from behind over unrealistic selfish puck ragging any day of the week. One of the most toxic things in game, especially when you can do it in your own end without having any worry of being shoved off the puck. Will be great to see players have to play as a team again instead of playing individualistic hockey.

Beta bumps were cancerous. Especially with defensive players more often that not being able to catch forwards on the rush/break.

If you’re blaming lack of bumps on the other team controlling the puck more often than you are; your game needs work. Plenty of teams cycle, it’s the only way to be successful in this game against high level players/teams.

Pokes, sweeps and proper positioning need to be the keys to good defense. Those are learned skills which need to be the focus.
    If your behind a guy, with speed, you’re beat

Dekes are utterly useless, speed on the rush is no longer a factor and now you want to be able to check from behind on breakaways again?

No thanks to that

And curling your stick back to negate body checks is not a learned skill in real life.

You win some, you lose some.

Now I suggest learning to cycle the puck.
    You say you don't want "bumps from behind that reward the player that is beat back" but yet you want the broken beta back that allows exactly that. Can't have it both ways.

No one plays it, like you say, cause it's not better. A mix between beta and now will be. And that is what they are trying to do I bet.

Agreed. If we’re in fact fine. Meaning, ok until 20, this wouldn’t be happening. Listen, I’m sure the devs care..but they work for a publicly held company which has had locked down monopoly arguably since ‘94. Decisions such as this happen these days because of $...short term $$. This is not to say I haven’t heard good things coming from devs on these boards. Even when I didn’t agree with how something would play out ..the process and where they were coming from was respectable. Also, I’d love to be wrong, if this is an outstretched hand toward the community with the common goal of building a better, more realistic(and fun) experience and not something like tanking hut sales and server pops I’ll be floored.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Seen like you are trying to right the ship, but for me it has already sunk. Good luck.
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Bumps are back and I am gone

Will take a few bumps from behind over unrealistic selfish puck ragging any day of the week. One of the most toxic things in game, especially when you can do it in your own end without having any worry of being shoved off the puck. Will be great to see players have to play as a team again instead of playing individualistic hockey.

Beta bumps were cancerous. Especially with defensive players more often that not being able to catch forwards on the rush/break.

If you’re blaming lack of bumps on the other team controlling the puck more often than you are; your game needs work. Plenty of teams cycle, it’s the only way to be successful in this game against high level players/teams.

Pokes, sweeps and proper positioning need to be the keys to good defense. Those are learned skills which need to be the focus.
    If your behind a guy, with speed, you’re beat

Dekes are utterly useless, speed on the rush is no longer a factor and now you want to be able to check from behind on breakaways again?

No thanks to that

The bump separated the creative hockey teams from those who are not.

Sorry, but no it does not. You can be just as creative without bumps as with them. That’s a straw man argument if I’ve ever heard one.

The bumps are an excuse for poor defending. At extremely slow speeds, fine. Bumps are bumps. If I have speed, and I’m by you. You’re beat. You aren’t going to hit me from behind and push me off the puck. That’s not physics. Try and bump me from behind while skating in real life and you’re going to fall on your face or get a face full of my skates.

Not to mention just bumping some instantly kills all your speed. This isn’t better for the game, it’s better for the weaker players who haven’t figured out how to keep the attacking player in front of him.

I find it hilarious that it’s not possible for any players or teams to be good at this game without being “cheesers” or “glitchers”. Maybe you’re just not as good as you think you are?

This is why a competive mod is needed for league gamers and the regular game tune can be left to the casual players. Too many differences of opinion.

This game is already dead offensively and now it’s back To you can breathe on a guy and take the puck? It’s ridiculous.

Too Much skill being taken out of the game. I’m here to play hockey, not to have the game do all the work for me.

I'm thinking the same thing about you. If you really are good, you will find ways to score. Shouldn't be a problem, right?
  • I wondering if the people who are complaining about bumps watch or play hockey. Unless you have open ice the majority of the play is being hounded, hit, bumped, and pushed both purposely and incidental. This is forces loose puck battles. This forces a team to move the puck quickly to find the open man, or simply just move the puck. If you're fast enough to avoid my check from any angle so be it, however if I am close enough to get the body on you there should be a reaction. As it stands now, checks, bumps, and shoves even at low speeds are nerfed so much that there's no reaction from the recipient of the hit.

One thing I would like them to address is the hitting animation vs the being hit and falling animation. IMO, sometimes when I get a good hit there's a follow through animation that seems like it's longer than someone getting hit and getting up.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    I wondering if the people who are complaining about bumps watch or play hockey. Unless you have open ice the majority of the play is being hounded, hit, bumped, and pushed both purposely and incidental. This is forces loose puck battles. This forces a team to move the puck quickly to find the open man, or simply just move the puck. If you're fast enough to avoid my check from any angle so be it, however if I am close enough to get the body on you there should be a reaction. As it stands now, checks, bumps, and shoves even at low speeds are nerfed so much that there's no reaction from the recipient of the hit.

One thing I would like them to address is the hitting animation vs the being hit and falling animation. IMO, sometimes when I get a good hit there's a follow through animation that seems like it's longer than someone getting hit and getting up.

NOTHING like the bumps in the beta, the physicality in the beta wasn't close to RL and did not make that game resemble hockey more than this version.

I understand how a game of hockey looks and you're right, there is a lot of physicality resulting in battles for the puck, but there are also plenty of one on one battles the puck carriers win, there are one on one plays that leave the defense looking dumb for over playing. Beta gives you none of that and it's silly to read all you guys supporting beta play try to suggest you're the real hockey fans. You like the beta better? Cool. You want to justify liking the beta better by saying it's "4real hockey", that's where you're wrong.
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    jiajji wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    I wondering if the people who are complaining about bumps watch or play hockey. Unless you have open ice the majority of the play is being hounded, hit, bumped, and pushed both purposely and incidental. This is forces loose puck battles. This forces a team to move the puck quickly to find the open man, or simply just move the puck. If you're fast enough to avoid my check from any angle so be it, however if I am close enough to get the body on you there should be a reaction. As it stands now, checks, bumps, and shoves even at low speeds are nerfed so much that there's no reaction from the recipient of the hit.

NOTHING like the bumps in the beta, the physicality in the beta wasn't close to RL and did not make that game resemble hockey more than this version.

I understand how a game of hockey looks and you're right, there is a lot of physicality resulting in battles for the puck, but there are also plenty of one on one battles the puck carriers win, there are one on one plays that leave the defense looking dumb for over playing. Beta gives you none of that and it's silly to read all you guys supporting beta play try to suggest you're the real hockey fans. You like the beta better? Cool. You want to justify liking the beta better by saying it's "4real hockey", that's where you're wrong.

The beta was closer to hockey than it is now.
    You were forced to move the puck ...which happens in real hockey... the puck is always moving because invincibility bubbles don’t exist in real life...only in the comic book world.
  • TheMajjam
    676 posts Member
    edited December 2018

The only thing wrong with bumps is the puck physics from bumps for behind. Where the puck would stop on a dime and cause a one for one turnover without a battle, whereas the puck should continue forward with the momentum of the skater with the possibility of the puck carrier stumbling, momentary loss of puck, etc.

Unless you're trying to be a one man team that you see in 3s, the beta bumps and hits we're fine.
  • jiajji wrote: »

You were forced to move the puck ...which happens in real hockey... the puck is always moving because invincibility bubbles don’t exist in real life...only in the comic book world.

Hits work. They could stand to be a little more effective, but not the trash we're getting from the beta. That rewards bad d.

Incidentally, I'd love to see a video of a team that doesn't move the puck. I doubt one exists
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited December 2018

Hits work. They could stand to be a little more effective, but not the trash we're getting from the beta. That rewards bad d.

Incidentally, I'd love to see a video of a team that doesn't move the puck. I doubt one exists

You want to see puck ragging with little passing? Bacon Country has videos like that and I do not recall if it is him or another user, but there is a video on Youtube (and here somewhere) where the player does literally no passing at all (not a single pass), and wins the game in a very convincing manner.
  • magicmittsmase
    139 posts Member
    edited December 2018

What are you even talking about, man? The physicality in beta wasnt close to RL but you believe the physicality (lack thereof) of the game in it's current state is similar to RL? Today's NHL is built on a few things:

1. Speed, speed, speed and more speed. Whether or not it is said that "skating hasn't changed since the beta" you can clearly see the difference in flow of players both lateral speed and North/South speed from Beta to 1.03. The game we have now looks like guys are skating in quick sand.

2. Superior puck movement and ability to create space. One man shows exist in beer league, not the NHL. Yes, guys like McDavid, McKinnon, Crosby, etc have the ability to make defenders look silly on occasion but they arent out their negating hits left and right by slowing down to a snail speed and wrapping their sticks around their bodies like a snake because that somehow relates to superior balance and puck protection. Even if were just the elite players in the game that could get away with pulling off these tactics, I might be okay with it. Unfortunately, it doesnt matter if you're 1st line center or a healthy scratch in this game, all players get away with it.

The beta forced players to move the puck in order to be successful - if your qualm is getting bumped off the puck too easily, then it just means you've held onto it for too long. Don't like it? Adapt. That's what all of us have been told for the last 5 years and it's time for the folks who have abused the mechanics for far too long to come to grips with the fact that it isnt an accurate representation of the sport. EA has created a portion of the community that has been tricked into thinking this is how the game should be played and if that's your train of thought, go pop in 14-18 and I'm sure you'll have a blast.

[Socair - edited to include quote for clarity; please use quote feature and bold specifics from there]
  • Any update on fixing the dressing room error?
  • jiajji wrote: »

You want to see puck ragging with little passing? Bacon Country has videos like that and I do not recall if it is him or another user, but there is a video on Youtube (and here somewhere) where the player does literally no passing at all (not a single pass), and wins the game in a very convincing manner.

You're talking game modes where one player controls all skaters, which is problematic because there is a delay when you're assuming control over a bot, often times you have to change the bot's direction and there is a significant reaction time lag for the other bots meaning holes in your coverage. 5 Human controlled skaters do not allow one human controlled skater to win without passing, doesn't happen.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »

absolutely agree. except it's all based on physics in real life ... somehow they can't even come close to getting this right in game. In real life, slow speed bumps from behind do not send you "stumbling" and cause the puck to go straight to defender. that's a major problem with how the Beta played. I did play hockey and now involved every day in high level hockey. High skilled strong NHL caliber players are able to fight off weak checks, maintain puck possession. especially checks from behind. You can't really "check" someone from behind if both of your momentums are going in the same direction. All you do is basically give them a push. unless of course you are talking about cross checks or a much bigger, stronger guy hitting a smaller guy he was chasing who's basically stopped moving. Again that's all just physics. Even then the puck (and usually puck carrier ) would just continue on their path and likely keep possession.

They don't need to roll back all the good changes just to fix this one problem. They need to fix this one problem.

Again if they would get rid of the horrible animation/trigger based hitting engine and just utilize a real physics based hitting system then that would solve these problems. If they could do it properly. but that's probably beyond the capability. instead I just want them to fix the current engine. When two people are skating at each other, if they make body contact, that's a successful check that should somewhat stop motion (depending on accuracy of hit) and dislodge puck. I don't think either player should be allowed to recover the puck for like 2 secs and it should end up away from the pair. but if bumps from the general backside should basically do nothing unless the physics are drastic (chasing someone and they basically stop).

the biggest problem is it's an animation. so lets say someone goes up the boards, they beat the defender but it's at least close enough they could touch. All they had to do was initiate an animation, hitting or board play, and they were saved. Allowed defense to be too aggressive at the blue line and if they miss their hit they were not penalized. I'm a traditional defensemen which means I don't hardly attempt the unrealistic beer league light them up at the blue line style. It's about positioning and stick play. In that regard the Beta was WAY worse. hitting was easier but stick play (the most important tool used 95% of the time to play defense) was none existent other than the also unrealistic super stick lift you could do non stop all over the ice.

so just in that one little area of the game. Rollback will take 1 step forward and 10 steps back. fantastic
  • jiajji
    329 posts Member
    edited December 2018

What are you even talking about, man? The physicality in beta wasnt close to RL but you believe the physicality (lack thereof) of the game in it's current state is similar to RL? Today's NHL is built on a few things:

1. Speed, speed, speed and more speed. Whether or not it is said that "skating hasn't changed since the beta" you can clearly see the difference in flow of players both lateral speed and North/South speed from Beta to 1.03. The game we have now looks like guys are skating in quick sand.

2. Superior puck movement and ability to create space. One man shows exist in beer league, not the NHL. Yes, guys like McDavid, McKinnon, Crosby, etc have the ability to make defenders look silly on occasion but they arent out their negating hits left and right by slowing down to a snail speed and wrapping their sticks around their bodies like a snake because that somehow relates to superior balance and puck protection. Even if were just the elite players in the game that could get away with pulling off these tactics, I might be okay with it. Unfortunately, it doesnt matter if you're 1st line center or a healthy scratch in this game, all players get away with it.

The beta forced players to move the puck in order to be successful - if your qualm is getting bumped off the puck too easily, then it just means you've held onto it for too long. Don't like it? Adapt. That's what all of us have been told for the last 5 years and it's time for the folks who have abused the mechanics for far too long to come to grips with the fact that it isnt an accurate representation of the sport. EA has created a portion of the community that has been tricked into thinking this is how the game should be played and if that's your train of thought, go pop in 14-18 and I'm sure you'll have a blast.

[Socair - edited to include quote for clarity; please use quote feature and bold specifics from

[Socair - edited to include quote for clarity; please use quote feature and bold specifics from there]

You want defense to have a boost in ability and you want a game in which offensive players cant own their ice. That's cool, what it's not is hockey. Tell yourself whatever you need to justify the kind of game you want to play but you guys are only fooling yourselves. The people "abusing" these physics are going to "abuse" those physics. Then what will you tell yourself?
    Post edited by EA_Roger on