EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

An Update on Gameplay Feedback + Action Plan

Replies

• TheMajjam wrote: »
    jiajji wrote: »
    Here’s a solution...once we go back to the beta...just tone down the nudges from behind causing a puck loss (while chasing/gettin beat) a bit....and bam.
    The game will be good again.

Tripping penalties with beta
    I didnt have a problem with it...but trips where they are at now would be cool with me

Everyone had a problem with tripping in beta, even if you managed to stay out of the box you were on a pk or pp most of the game

I had a problem for about 6 games....until I figured it out.
    It was harsh at first...but it made me play more responsible.
    I really liked it.

Adhering to crappy mechanics isn't playing responsible. It's like playing through a glitch almost and the reason why it needed to be tweaked.

Funny. We say the exact same thing about the crappy hitting mechanics and all we hear is some version of "get good."

Mechanics on poke weren't crappy, they were just unforgiving. It was better in 1.00, but poking was still very predictable in beta - you knew if you were going to get a penalty or a successful poke before you poked. It's not even remotely close to the crapshoot of stick lifting and hitting we got with 1.03.
  • URballZiZdirt
    1 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Please for the love of the virtual hockey gods have be a pro career called the road to become a legend give your players some rivals make rivalries with teams harder or more fun post game interviews about recently played games and stop the crap that if I sim 4 games from the top line to the second like playing 22 games and having 30 and 20 goals and assist idc who the coach is your not getting moved and fix the teammate AI to react to your style of play if you like to move to the point from the half boards and set up guys for deflections than as least let them connect and have the neutral zone be a lol more chaotic and lastly enough with all the penalties for every little thing it’s frustrating and I’ve been playing be a pro for years have locker room interactions and maybe you get traded if your team stinks or there’s a beef in the locker room bc you don’t gel w some
    Of the teammates or the coach battle for ice time make a legit training camp to earn a spot as a rookie and make your decisions have some consequences it’s very repetitive and you would think well at least I do is that rammer and his team clearly don’t watch nhl hockey on a regular basis too busy counting all that money they made from simply tweaking two things and just re releasing it m glad I paid 65 bucks to have a mouth piece hanging out of my mouth more equipment and just overall you guys need to sit down and read what all these loyal die hard a have been shelling out hard earned money for year in and year out and for the love of god bring back 3s arcade w the big heads and what my friends and I call bloorp hockey best mode/variation since nhl hits 03 where you could put guys they the glass do your jobs I’m sure you get paid enougg to at least listen to the masses and all there complaints and ideas for a better well deserved new NHL game don’t be greedy

[Socair - edited swear filter/rude call out]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • TheMajjam
    433 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    Here’s a solution...once we go back to the beta...just tone down the nudges from behind causing a puck loss (while chasing/gettin beat) a bit....and bam.

I didnt have a problem with it...but trips where they are at now would be cool with me

Everyone had a problem with tripping in beta, even if you managed to stay out of the box you were on a pk or pp most of the game

I really liked it.

Adhering to crappy mechanics isn't playing responsible. It's like playing through a glitch almost and the reason why it needed to be tweaked.

Funny. We say the exact same thing about the crappy hitting mechanics and all we hear is some version of "get good."

Mechanics on poke weren't crappy, they were just unforgiving. It was better in 1.00, but poking was still very predictable in beta - you knew if you were going to get a penalty or a successful poke before you poked. It's not even remotely close to the crapshoot of stick lifting and hitting we got with 1.03.

Yeah. I dunno man. It just seems like their fix for the stick is to just dole out penalties. It's really not about spamming either, I still think well timed pokes just sort of end up screwing you because the game logic was broken in the beta. They had to fix things like people retracting the DSS and still picking up penalties. People would still pick up trips knocking the puck first. There were were trips when people would use shot block. There were trips when your stick went through someone else's stick and hit their feet. The only thing that was predictable was people laying off the poke and just using the stick lift. And we all know how that turned out in 1.03.

Still, there are people in this thread whining about the defense gaining their ability to play defense again, but I'm hoping the rollback makes playing D fun again. There's nothing fun about constantly second guessing my poke check so much that I only use it three times a game as a D man because I can't afford to take a penalty in LG against good players. So the next logical step was to turn to the stick lift that worked. Too well probably, but that's not our fault. EA's answer was to make the stick lift a penalty machine too. Can't poke, can't stick lift. Okay, what's left? The body? NOPE. EA cut down on shoves, incidental contact while at the same time giving a buff to puck pick ups and retention. On top of all the dressing room bugs, freezing, and just plain terrible D mechanics, it's just not fun for me anymore.

I really liked it.

I had to look at the tuning for pokes throughout the releases and I had a laugh. How was everything before they tuned the poke "enjoyable" or "okay"?

- Tuning for tripping based around positioning, player speed and collision (Doesn't matter where you were in relation to the skater, speed, and/or build, you poked you sat in the box).

- Poke checks now need to get a slightly larger piece of the player to cause them to trip (GOLLY. Didn't mean to trip you when the tip of my stick blade grazed your skate lace).

- Increase to pokecheck accuracy when poking to ideal angles (Try a pokecheck even when you're in perfect position? Nah fam, collect your trip and take a short skate to the box).

It was proven even by developer standards that the trip was broken.

"I had a problem for about 6 games....until I figured it out." (Yes. You figured out not to ever touch the pokecheck button until after tuner 1.01).

No...I figured out when to use it ...and when not to.
    I was successful in my attempts...while I watched all the Pokémon...go to the box.
    Admittedly...I’m glad they changed it in the next tuner...not as much for myself...but for all the Pokémon’s.

I really liked it.

Yeah. I dunno man. It just seems like their fix for the stick is to just dole out penalties. It's really not about spamming either, I still think well timed pokes just sort of end up screwing you because the game logic was broken in the beta. They had to fix things like people retracting the DSS and still picking up penalties. People would still pick up trips knocking the puck first. There were were trips when people would use shot block. There were trips when your stick went through someone else's stick and hit their feet. The only thing that was predictable was people laying off the poke and just using the stick lift. And we all know how that turned out in 1.03.

Still, there are people in this thread whining about the defense gaining their ability to play defense again, but I'm hoping the rollback makes playing D fun again. There's nothing fun about constantly second guessing my poke check so much that I only use it three times a game as a D man because I can't afford to take a penalty in LG against good players. So the next logical step was to turn to the stick lift that worked. Too well probably, but that's not our fault. EA's answer was to make the stick lift a penalty machine too. Can't poke, can't stick lift. Okay, what's left? The body? NOPE. EA cut down on shoves, incidental contact while at the same time giving a buff to puck pick ups and retention. On top of all the dressing room bugs, freezing, and just plain terrible D mechanics, it's just not fun for me anymore.

Yeah, I remember how scared I was to poke when I played D in LG/VHL. Idk why, but for me I always feel more comfortable using defensive tools in VS/HUT (I bet because I don't worry about messing over my teammates or anyone getting mad at me lol).

I think 1.00 was perfect. Hits worked, pokes worked but were more forgiving, and stick lifts worked. I think EA nailed it 100% with 1.00, and I hope that's where we'll eventually end up again.
  • ExSnake01
    454 posts Member
    edited December 2018

I really liked it.

Yeah, I remember how scared I was to poke when I played D in LG/VHL. Idk why, but for me I always feel more comfortable using defensive tools in VS/HUT (I bet because I don't worry about messing over my teammates or anyone getting mad at me lol).

I think 1.00 was perfect. Hits worked, pokes worked but were more forgiving, and stick lifts worked. I think EA nailed it 100% with 1.00, and I hope that's where we'll eventually end up again.

I agree. I thought pokes were easier in the beta. It was really consistent but now, it seems like a coin flip whether you get a penalty or not. I've seen pokes touch skates and not trip anyone but at other times it's a penalty. Especially with stick lifts. I've seen some crazy angles where people do it and they don't get a call, often at awkward angles. Penalties are just inconsistent right now.

A few people say it's been improved but I honestly don't know what they are talking about.

• It's going to be interesting when people come to the realization that the beta really was not very good. Not to say that the current gameplay is great either, but I do think EA made some changes for the better like they do every year with tuners.

What really needs a revert is the whole drop-in format. Get rid of the clown gear, bring back team selection with proper uniforms and arenas.
  • We shall see...people are so funny giving their pre-feedback as if their memories are accurate.. Beta wasn’t perfect(I was impressed by week 1tbh), but it’s better than what we have now. Also...again...this is a bold move, public companies done make bold moves much anymore. They care about profit over product..every time. To all those who think things are ok the way they are there is no greater evidence to the contrary.

Ps: I dig the casual stuff. It’s what I resemble most on the ice these days and that’s pretty cool. I want to play hockey, not play make believe nhl’r.........
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • jiajji wrote: »

That may well be so, but at least 80% of the tripping pokes I see are newbs poking from behind. It is almost a guarantee to hit the skates when trying to poke from behind. Go play drops and it is still that way. People don't want to learn.

Beta or not, this will not change.

I really liked it.

Before 1.03 the game was fun. D was fun, goaltending was manageable and somewhat fun. Offense still had their dangles and more-than-realistic shooting accuracy. People were playing hockey because pretty much every position was fun.

Since 1.03 defense is stale and goaltending is frustrating and plain garbage. Forwards however get more of an advantage, so basically 3 positions are fun to play. Now trolling is coming back in force and people just don't enjoy playing the back end anymore. If after the beta 19 goes back to what it currently is, then I abandon this series for good. Enough of this junk. EA + Hockey = gotta score goals at all costs with minimal contact. Booooooring.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    It's going to be interesting when people come to the realization that the beta really was not very good. Not to say that the current gameplay is great either, but I do think EA made some changes for the better like they do every year with tuners.

What really needs a revert is the whole drop-in format. Get rid of the clown gear, bring back team selection with proper uniforms and arenas.

Uh, bringing back arenas will not change the gameplay in any way, which is my major gripe. I don't care what jeans or uniform I am wearing with this garbage 18 tuning.
  • We shall see...people are so funny giving their pre-feedback as if their memories are accurate.. Beta wasn’t perfect(I was impressed by week 1tbh), but it’s better than what we have now. Also...again...this is a bold move, public companies done make bold moves much anymore. They care about profit over product..every time. To all those who think things are ok the way they are there is no greater evidence to the contrary.

Ps: I dig the casual stuff. It’s what I resemble most on the ice these days and that’s pretty cool. I want to play hockey, not play make believe nhl’r.........

True, bold move on their part and I am loving it. Can't wait to see the outcome. However, I have to wonder if sales are really bad or something for EA to actually roll back to a previous tuner and actually do what the community asks for once.

True, bold move on their part and I am loving it. Can't wait to see the outcome. However, I have to wonder if sales are really bad or something for EA to actually roll back to a previous tuner and actually do what the community asks for once.

Yeah. Obviously it’s just a guess...and I’m cynical..then again I’m in and out of corporations these days and those where everyone’s concerned with the stock price..down to maintenance are incredibly toxic environments.. in my mind even if the devs wanted to do something like this they would need permission from the corporate overlords and that wouldn’t come unless things had gone pear shaped in the sales/hut department. Also, with about 400 games in drop in 6v6 it’s a rare moment to see the populations in the normal category, let alone high, and I’m on the east coast.

I really liked it.

No, this is you being consistent in demanding trash mechanics for the benefit of your apparent inability to play the game in its current version.

It's in the tuner notes and Ben discusses it in the "what's going on" thread. Formerly trips were triggered by a ONE inch overlap stick to leg. You didn't get good at that, you abandoned pokes for running into people for an easy take away.
  • Well..on the ice, a straight traditional poke check..top hand on the stick sort of thing is a compromising position even with today’s featherweight sticks.. whereas a stick lift is a 2handed endeavor usually occurring once some sort of body contact is about to be or has been made. Most pokes should be inconsequential, not penalty's..and if this last bit were true I’d doubt we would be where we are.
  • jiajji wrote: »

I really liked it.

No, this is you being consistent in demanding trash mechanics for the benefit of your apparent inability to play the game in its current version.

It's in the tuner notes and Ben discusses it in the "what's going on" thread. Formerly trips were triggered by a ONE inch overlap stick to leg. You didn't get good at that, you abandoned pokes for running into people for an easy take away.

LOL. Awesome. I take it you will greatly enjoy the beta the second time around?
  • The outrage from some of the bubble curl forwards in here is strong.

I can already hear them yelling into their mics "I PASSED IT, I PRESSED PASS" as they held onto the puck too long and turned it over for the 15th time that period.
    EASHL player
  • Socair
    1868 posts Game Changer
    Let’s cool it with getting personal here guys. Every discussion has two sides. Try to be respectful in your disagreements.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • So, can anyone really tell the difference between resetting to beta vs. latest version?

Remember beta was played with a small community so the servers weren't bogged down, I'm finding the beta reset very similar to the latest version we hate probably because of the server high traffic bogging it down.

Either that or EA played a dirty trick on us, a placebo experiment telling us they went back to beta but really didn't.

Anyways, can't tell a difference myself at this point, very disappointed.
  • WainGretSki
    3102 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    So, can anyone really tell the difference between resetting to beta vs. latest version?

Remember beta was played with a small community so the servers weren't bogged down, I'm finding the beta reset very similar to the latest version we hate probably because of the server high traffic bogging it down.

Either that or EA played a dirty trick on us, a placebo experiment telling us they went back to beta but really didn't.

Anyways, can't tell a difference myself at this point, very disappointed.

That is because the beta rollback is planned for mid January.