EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Take note Devs. I have your solution

Above1988
80 posts Member
edited December 2018
I touched on this in another post so please dont remove admin because I think its important.

The simple teardown of the players for this game generally fall under two categories. One being that it should be a full-sim hockey game, complete with realistic physics, skating, loose puck mechanics and intelligently responsive ai that requires players to use strategy and real world hockey IQ to outplay their opposition (something closer to the original beta build.) The other falls in line with the game changers, that prefer skill-based techniques that have been learned over the course of the current generation of NHL games, involving player-specific puck possession and "skill stick" utilization. Some may call this style of play "puck ragging" or "cheesing" but like it or not, it does require a certain degree of skill , even if it can seem unrealistic and downright frustrating for players that know hockey and want a different style of gameplay.

This seems to be the core rift between players of the NHL series that plagues these forums and social media alike. Although many are optimistic about this back to the beta event happening in Jan, what happens next? Is EA just going to succumb to the myriad of complaints and hate feedback all over again?

So what's the solution? It's so simple its practically stupid: Separate online game modes.

Instead of catering to whatever the complaint of the day is, with weekly tuners, updates and patches , that are guaranteed to please some and infuriate others, why not just have separate online matchmaking modes that allow players to choose the kind of NHL experience that they want to play?! Other video games have been doing this for years, like "hardcore" mode for example in FPS games, because it's the only way to please everyone who has their own opinion of how the game should be played.

While it may still need some tweaks and tunes, You can call the original beta build something like: "NHL Simulation" mode and call the current build: "Game-Changer" mode. This way everyone will get to play the game that they want to play, and put an end to this endless debate on how a NHL video game is supposed to be.

The End.

Replies

• Yep, they should have "Cheese mode" and "Hockey mode"... everybody's happy.
  • I though arcade threes was cheese mode
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Above1988 wrote: »
    I touched on this in another post so please dont remove admin because I think its important.

The simple teardown of the players for this game generally fall under two categories. One being that it should be a full-sim hockey game, complete with realistic physics, skating, loose puck mechanics and intelligently responsive ai that requires players to use strategy and real world hockey IQ to outplay their opposition (something closer to the original beta build.) The other falls in line with the game changers, that prefer skill-based techniques that have been learned over the course of the current generation of NHL games, involving player-specific puck possession and "skill stick" utilization. Some may call this style of play "puck ragging" or "cheesing" but like it or not, it does require a certain degree of skill , even if it can seem unrealistic and downright frustrating for players that know hockey and want a different style of gameplay.

This seems to be the core rift between players of the NHL series that plagues these forums and social media alike. Although many are optimistic about this back to the beta event happening in Jan, what happens next? Is EA just going to succumb to the myriad of complaints and hate feedback all over again?

So what's the solution? It's so simple its practically stupid: Separate online game modes.

Instead of catering to whatever the complaint of the day is, with weekly tuners, updates and patches , that are guaranteed to please some and infuriate others, why not just have separate online matchmaking modes that allow players to choose the kind of NHL experience that they want to play?! Other video games have been doing this for years, like "hardcore" mode for example in FPS games, because it's the only way to please everyone who has their own opinion of how the game should be played.

While it may still need some tweaks and tunes, You can call the original beta build something like: "NHL Simulation" mode and call the current build: "Game-Changer" mode. This way everyone will get to play the game that they want to play, and put an end to this endless debate on how a NHL video game is supposed to be.

The End.

I like this a lot. You are right about where the community splits. We could do that, but also find a way to not water down the matchmaking. Great thinking. Let the cheesers cheese against one another.