EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

How to bring people back to the series ( NHL20)

12346Next

Replies

• When a player comes off the bench and skates right past the opposing player standing still doing nothing with the puck, just so he can go and stand back in his position on the wing.... shows the games programmed horribly, games a joke.
  • VeNOM2099
    3040 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    SpillGal wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Here’s what should have been slow pass is little too strong for my dman

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/75591796

I only tapped RT. I never held it and it was a little too strong for my dman. I think weshluld have more passing strength values. Weaker and stronger to make simple small passes like this . Sometimes D to D passes aren’t as fast I would like and stretch breakout passes aren’t that strong. If I slap pass for an exit pass they get ignored unless the hit the boards.

Short passes has been a weak spot of this title for as long as I can remember. It would be really nice to have a reliable way of playing those short simple passes.
    Personally, I haven't been missing higher top-speed on the passes, but when you say harder D to D's... hmmm...

On the other hand, it's a very good argument how upping the top-speed of passes risk turning the multi player modes into cherry picking festivals, besides it will encourage more blue line shots, instead of more zoneplay. So for me that tempting, fast D to D will have to take a backseat.

That pass is missing the defenders stick by a few inches, why can't he adjust for it? I mean, he is in perfect balance, two hands on the stick, open view to the play and totally uncovered. What if the game lowered reaction times when some of those parameters were met? I think it would help tremendously. Both on offence and defence.

A more urgent problem, is how your AI teammates actively avoid being open for passes.
    In this clip I win the puck in my D-zone and LW starts off by the boards. When I bring it over to feed him the puck, he stops his forward movement and glides towards the centre on our own blueline.
    This is happening often and is a clear sign to me, that I should carry not pass. My teamates are now in "not interested mode". I mess it up here and tries a pass for my centre. See that little stop in his skating?

This is the stuff that needs to go. There's definitely more, but this is the most urgent one. Having a team that wants to play should be a given, not something you are pleasantly surprised by when happens.

The AI is abysmal in this series! It always has been, always will be. I can't, for the life of me, understand how some of those so called "elites" can complain that the AI is op when it's clearly brain dead on most fronts. It's stupid on Defense. It's stupid on Offense. It's stupid during breakouts. it's stupid during backchecks. It's even stupid in Net... It's just STUPID!!

Why can't EA make the AI play the position it's supposed to? I can't for the life of me understand why that's so hard. Oh, is it going to make the game too challenging?? GOOD!!!! I want a challenge, EA. I want to have the AI force me to make a good play so that I can earn my goals. By the same vein I want MY ai teammates to challenge the opponent to find good spots to score, not part like the Red Sea and give him the slot all day.

Players that move AWAY from passing lanes, players that abandon their position to come challenge the puck holder even though I'm already there, goalies moving out of position and allowing easy goals from the point, players freezing on the face offs, etc...

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why the game is getting blasted by the community.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Here’s what should have been slow pass is little too strong for my dman

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/75591796

I only tapped RT. I never held it and it was a little too strong for my dman. I think weshluld have more passing strength values. Weaker and stronger to make simple small passes like this . Sometimes D to D passes aren’t as fast I would like and stretch breakout passes aren’t that strong. If I slap pass for an exit pass they get ignored unless the hit the boards.

Short passes has been a weak spot of this title for as long as I can remember. It would be really nice to have a reliable way of playing those short simple passes.
    Personally, I haven't been missing higher top-speed on the passes, but when you say harder D to D's... hmmm...

On the other hand, it's a very good argument how upping the top-speed of passes risk turning the multi player modes into cherry picking festivals, besides it will encourage more blue line shots, instead of more zoneplay. So for me that tempting, fast D to D will have to take a backseat.

That pass is missing the defenders stick by a few inches, why can't he adjust for it? I mean, he is in perfect balance, two hands on the stick, open view to the play and totally uncovered. What if the game lowered reaction times when some of those parameters were met? I think it would help tremendously. Both on offence and defence.

A more urgent problem, is how your AI teammates actively avoid being open for passes.
    In this clip I win the puck in my D-zone and LW starts off by the boards. When I bring it over to feed him the puck, he stops his forward movement and glides towards the centre on our own blueline.
    This is happening often and is a clear sign to me, that I should carry not pass. My teamates are now in "not interested mode". I mess it up here and tries a pass for my centre. See that little stop in his skating?

This is the stuff that needs to go. There's definitely more, but this is the most urgent one. Having a team that wants to play should be a given, not something you are pleasantly surprised by when happens.

The AI is abysmal in this series! It always has been, always will be. I can't, for the life of me, understand how some of those so called "elites" can complain that the AI is op when it's clearly brain dead on most fronts. It's stupid on Defense. It's stupid on Offense. It's stupid during breakouts. it's stupid during backchecks. It's even stupid in Net... It's just STUPID!!

Why can't EA make the AI play the position it's supposed to? I can't for the life of me understand why that's so hard. Oh, is it going to make the game too challenging?? GOOD!!!! I want a challenge, EA. I want to have the AI force me to make a good play so that I can earn my goals. By the same vein I want MY ai teammates to challenge the opponent to find good spots to score, not part like the Red Sea and give him the slot all day.

Players that move AWAY from passing lanes, players that abandon their position to come challenge the puck holder even though I'm already there, goalies moving out of position and allowing easy goals from the point, players freezing on the face offs, etc...

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why the game is getting blasted by the community.

good points.

The game is suffering because every game mode is trying to please everybody. What ends up happening is most of us enjoy half the mode and the other half of the mode annoys us. This is not going to make the game have a lasting appeal. Sure the 50% fun outweighs the 50% annoying at first, but once it starts to wear off, the 50% annoying starts to bear more and more weight.

Every game mode should have its own definitive tuning with its own sets of challenges. HUT should not even come close to resembling EASHL.

EASHL, imo, of what I wish it would be, is a more realistic mode. There are other modes for those fantasy players or 1 man team players. EASHL still rewards too much individuality and selfish players.

Anyways, the point is, if one game mode doesn't suit you all that well, there should be another mode that is more in line with what you want. I am tired of half enjoying and half hating a mode. Pick a direction so it is clear what to expect of it. Then if I do not like it, I will move on to something else.
  • VeNOM2099
    3040 posts Member

good points.

The game is suffering because every game mode is trying to please everybody. What ends up happening is most of us enjoy half the mode and the other half of the mode annoys us. This is not going to make the game have a lasting appeal. Sure the 50% fun outweighs the 50% annoying at first, but once it starts to wear off, the 50% annoying starts to bear more and more weight.

Every game mode should have its own definitive tuning with its own sets of challenges. HUT should not even come close to resembling EASHL.

EASHL, imo, of what I wish it would be, is a more realistic mode. There are other modes for those fantasy players or 1 man team players. EASHL still rewards too much individuality and selfish players.

Anyways, the point is, if one game mode doesn't suit you all that well, there should be another mode that is more in line with what you want. I am tired of half enjoying and half hating a mode. Pick a direction so it is clear what to expect of it. Then if I do not like it, I will move on to something else.

It's not even that... It's like...

Imagine you go to a 5 star restaurant, and the Chef is trying to please all his guests by putting EVERYTHING in the plates he's serving. You can't just pile on ingredients and HOPE to jeebus it all works out. Sure, some people MIGHT like it, but they'll only like the parts of the dish they WANTED to savour in the first place. But they'll hate the rest.

That's EA's NHL series; for too long they've been trying to serve everyone a big ol' Bouillabaisse they hope everyone will like. But in reality it's not very good. And the parts that are good aren't really satisfying enough on their own. Which makes the whole thing...

... A mess.
  • Stop asking for future things and ask for things now! In this day in age of gaming they can make it all happen now!

Cant disagree more. In EA terms, "now" means maintenance and damage control for an existing title. There has to be a mechanism to request new implementations for future titles.
  • I miss the old lobbies for EASHL drop-ins. Just isn't the same
    My PSN is mayormcfudge. I like to play RD - DD or Enforcer. I am a goalie's friend :D
  • Bring back legend cards and creating your own player and adjusting your attributes the way you like it.Make it so people actually have to play the game again and not skate back in front of their net with the bots on trap doing everything for them,stop awarding the new less skilled people and start rewarding the loyal players that bought and played your game from day 1.so many top skilled players stopped playing because you made it for noobs,make it so you have to play not watch,you took out position lock which you should have now made it so comps are better then most people and all anyone does it let the bots play.if people want to play vs the bots do hut challenges or gm.
  • Ka1serSoz3
    64 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    To get more players to pick up this game, keep on playing it and eventually become yearly buyers. They need to stop pushing everyone towards Ultimate Team. EA are aware of this, as can be seen in this article describing a conference call they did for investors:
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/11/05/investors-concern-electronic-arts-digital-revenue.aspx
    «On the conference call, COO Blake Jorgensen explained that the company is focusing on steering players to live service content like Ultimate Team, but is being careful not to drive that too hard.»
    As of now, we have VS being the only online mode that are not on servers, which is a huge incentive to choose HUT over VS.
    There’s no longer a postgame lobby after drop in games in EASHL.
    Meaning it’s now harder to play more than one game, together with players you click with.
    Making it less probable for clubs to form or invites to be sent.
    Also, drop-ins is the only mode that doesn’t look like NHL. I think customers buying a game, literally named NHL, expect to play in NHL uniforms in NHL arenas, or at least something reminding of that.
    Are they pushing too hard? I would say so. All of these are taking away from the other modes, making HUT the only mode that has it all. On servers, in uniforms, in arenas with lots of ranked competitions and all the bells and whistles you could wish for....
    ... Except gameplay. The gameplay in HUT is horrendous. Ironically enough, the one mode they are trying to steer everyone towards, is the one that plays the worst. Making all their efforts to get you into HUT, risk turning you into an ex-customer.
    I love hockey, also the video-game version of it. There’s nothing like finding open ice, passing it to moving teammates to get that high percentage shot:

Even the dreaded «one-handed tuck», can be satisfying to pull off:

Unfortunately, moving the puck around is not the most viabale strategy in HUT. You’re better off shooting from blue:

Going for short side:

(Yeah, bad D I know. But the amount of those shots that goes in are insane. Turning everyone into a gliding, puck protecting hog, trying to find that spot.)
    Or you can just throw random shots straight at the goalie:

Still, I’ve been playing it. Sure, they have made goalies that lets in floaters from blue, while sometimes effortlessly covers the whole net:

They disable sprint at the most unfortunate times:

There is a tremendous amount of shots hitting the post:

AI is better than human controlled players at stopping pucks:

Your players goes into «no stick mode», totally unable to reach for the puck:

They whiff on slow passes:

Or just cannot get a shot off:

Still, I’ve been playing it. Cause some times, not often, but on a few lucky occasions, all that goes away and your players will actually do what you are telling them to:

So I’ve played the game. The fun and satisfaction of successfully setting up a play outweighed the frustration over clumsy players, cheap goals and inputs not registering. Until this year. They took away the one thing I love the most about playing hockey games: Passing. Of course, not passing as a whole, but your teammates positioning.
    You can’t set up anything when your teammates stop their breakout sprint the moment you pass:

Or don’t challenge the slot until the D is there (This is crash the net):

Still on crash the net:

Powerplay, only it’s not, cause the playerchange takes «forever».
    Watch what my right wing does, when he finally appears:

This is what they need to fix, to get players back or even create some new hardcore fans.
    I’ve been a customer since 94, but now, with AI literally not even being on the ice, you are succeeding in driving me away. For new customers, without great memories of what this game used to be like, I would guess picking up this game is a one time mistake, for most.

Even the successful 2 on 1 looked ugly and inorganic as, you know. Players don’t wind and pivot like that and slow down to a crawl on 2 on 1s in real life. And that’s not a knock AT ALL on you, you merely adapted to what the game provides. I would’ve played it just like you did. It’s the game. Last gen’s games didn’t work like this. They may not have looked as good but they WORKED BETTER. You’d have thought that by now they’d have just built on those and made it better. You’d have thought that by now one touch passing would be a thing.
    Post edited by Ka1serSoz3 on
  • JJ67
    1 posts New member
    There were some good points mentioned here about the game play. I would like to add the following (I stopped playing NHL in the year 2014, since 2017 my girlfriend gives it to me as birthday present, so i still play the new games a bit).
    I would love to have an Option to change the controller buttons, or at least make an option where "Asking for a Pass" and "Passing", as well as "Shooting" and "Hitting" ar not on the same button.
    Because when I play EASHL with my friends, it happens a lot, that when I ask for a pass and he passes the same time my player passes again straight away. Same goes for the shooting, someones set-ups up for a one-timer, but the pass gets intercepted, then the One-Timer results in an hit, which results in a 2 min. penalty. I don't like that, and I also think it's not realistic as this isn't the same movement.

Something outside off the gameplay, but it disturbs me a lot is when I play offline in GM Mode and I want to sign a specific free agent, then I have sometimes to scroll 5 minutes to find the player I want to negioate with. Just add a simple textbox search, where I can type in and search the player by name.
  • zingaa1
    406 posts Member
    I honestly believe it's too late, they can't fix it, damage has been done.
  • I agree I’m done with PenaltyFest’19/FigureSkating’19/ Glass Ankles ‘19/ Tripping Penalty ‘19
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1103 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    I agree I’m done with PenaltyFest’19/FigureSkating’19/ Glass Ankles ‘19/ Tripping Penalty ‘19

Out of curiosity, how do you use the poke check? Are you just tapping rb when feel you're in good position? Or do you employ the defensive skill stick, and click r3 when your stick blade is in good position and angle?

Because poke check doesn't work like it did in years past. Most have adapted, and employ a variety of moves, VS just relying on poke spam like the status quo used to be.
  • zingaa1
    406 posts Member
    Penalty fest is operator error.
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    I honestly believe it's too late, they can't fix it, damage has been done.

Ones was a huge opportunity wasted by not having invite capabilities. Hockey bags was another missed opportunity by not having an unlimited XP cap through EASHL. Why would I want to play modes I don’t like to unlock equipment for the one mode I somewhat like playing online?

Why can’t I purchase equipment I like/want? Nobody is against micro transactions that are cosmetic only, it’s hilarious that EA actually thinks unlocking random stuff that I don’t want is preferable to players than giving us the option to spend a dollar on a virtual jersey. The higher-ups need a huge shake-up because they clearly are very out-of-touch with gamers.

Allow custom sliders for custom lobbies online. Let league’s have their own style/brand of hockey. The game is tuned terribly for all modes because there’s not one blanket slider-set that gives each mode the beat results. Let your users determine what feels right for them, and I bet you’ll have more people playing the game.

Offline modes need a total overhaul. How can 2k deliver such a customizable, immersive offline experience yet billion dollar EA can’t even give us consistent modes/features across their games that share devs and resources? No custom tournaments, can’t substitute teams for the champions hockey league, can’t set season lengths in season/franchise modes, no roster sharing, the list goes on and on.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    610 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Watch this. Start at 5:45:00 and watch until the goal

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/429741145

Who wants to play a game where this happens consistently? Gren misses the net from inside the hash marks and his players just avoid the puck while nuclear walks through a few guys and scores a weak goal. You can clearly see Grens reaction that he ain’t happy about what happened. Gren got punished for his guys not picking up the picking up the puck.

This happened during the GWC. EA should being using EASHL if it wants to grow the NHL series and esports NHL Nobody wants to watch half spins and cheese goals with lost Ai skating around, let alone play it. What’s the point of calling EASHL the most highly competitive mode if you aren’t going to use for esports. What other esports game relays on Ai?
  • Ka1serSoz3
    64 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    The gameplay just doesn’t feel as crisp and precise as it did on any of the previous gen consoles
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Bring back accountability to your actions. Too many years. Too many bad goals are rewarded to players who make bad decisions and get rewarded for it. It’s not fun being in a good position making a smart defensive play just for the other player to get bailed out by the game and the puck go into the back of the net.

Also, I think players are fed up with guarantee goals disguised as “high quality scoring areas”. No reason why a shot should always go in from a particular area. That doesn’t promote hockey. It promotes who can get to the exploit area faster. Yes, I get that there is high scoring areas on the ice in real life. But if you try to score in the same spot from the same area, a goalie will learn where you’re where gonna go with the shot.

If you're letting them get to the same spot all game long, that's kinda on your defense.

Not if that same "spot" is often just over the blue line for yet another unscreened short side wrister! That trash has been plaguing this game for a decade. The goalie AI on that shot is pathetic.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    lphabsfan wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Are you saying they removed changing lines/strategies from hybrid controls to force people to spend more money? I don't see how that's remotely true. I don't have numbers to back this up, but I don't know anyone that uses hybrid controls. I know there are some out there, like yourself, but to say it's a significant percentage of the playerbase does not have the ability or inclination to learn the skill stick seems a bit unrealistic.

You get hooking calls when you stick lift out of position. You take penalties for tripping when you poke from bad angles. That's not some form of ice tilt. You just need to learn how to defend better and play a more disciplined game.

I am saying that 100% the people at EA have a goal in mind to create a competitive imbalance in order to make money. Removing strategies and changes is one of many (which you chose to ignore the others) ways in which they do that.

There has been enough evidence shown on the boards to show that the poke check aspect of the game is extremely broken. With regards to the hooking calls, I was unaware there was something called the "hook" button. I was under the impression it was called the "lift stick" button. My mistake.

And how can you defend better when anyone who uses the stick control functions has the hustle buttons and hybrid doesn't. See? Competitive disadvantage.

Where is there proof here on these boards that poke check is extremely broken? It's probably the best it's ever been. You're punished for bad pokes. That's how it should be.

It makes no sense whatsoever to add some kind of balancing by the game. It's totally pointless to have it. That's been debated endlessly here so I'm not getting in to it. The only thing I'll say is that you will never get any better at this game so long as you believe the computer scripts your wins and your own skill isn't to blame.

For me it's a stick lift button because the majority of the time I'm lifting because I'm in a good position. Yeah, sometimes I get a hooking call because I'm attempting a lift from behind. That's my fault.

You choose to play on Hybrid. It's good EA has that option as there are some people that don't have full control over their hands so simpler controls mean they can still enjoy the game.

If you think the tripping in this game is reasonable, and it only occurs when you poke "out of position", then i am completely at a loss. We must be playing different games.