EA Forums - Banner

Can you make hits actually mean something?

Aside from being absolutely hilarious, big hits don't do a whole lot to players when you think about it. Sure, you will lose some energy and once in a blue moon you'll get injured, but you're back to full health in no time flat and I think something ultimately needs to be done about that.

Now, obviously, if people just stayed injured longer or it took longer to regain energy everybody would be giants throwing down so that would need to be addressed too - you should lose more stamina when initiating a hit and it should be easier to get hitting penalties.

I just think size should play a larger role in the game. What do y'all think? It's fine if you disagree;I'd like to get a bit of a discussion going.

Replies

• Hits are a funny thing.
    Getting cartwheeled or otherwise laid out actually..usually!.. doesn’t take that much out of you, as long as you don’t try to fight it too hard.
    2 guys open ice, with either guy budging however can take it out of you.

Hits will eventually wear you down, especially in grindy clutch and grabby games, but much less than a spectator would think.

Tuck and roll baby lol
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Ps. I’m more for the as close to sim as we can get but if there were an area it would be for hits to slightly become a little hyperbolic.
  • Old gen had an Intimidation engine, where checks would have an Aggression vs Toughness check, and you could intimidate someone into playing worse when near you until someone on the other team hit you back or fought you. It was lots of fun, but the dangle-snipe crowd complained.
    EASHL player
  • Old gen had an Intimidation engine, where checks would have an Aggression vs Toughness check, and you could intimidate someone into playing worse when near you until someone on the other team hit you back or fought you. It was lots of fun, but the dangle-snipe crowd complained.

Didn't it only affect AI players?
  • Hits will be back right away with the short lived beta trial comming up. Enjoy it while it lasts gentlemen! It will be short lived, I assume they will stop the beta run just before the next lg season! And we will be back to the hit bubble once again so the “skilled players” can get a shot on net lol!
  • Hits will be back right away with the short lived beta trial comming up. Enjoy it while it lasts gentlemen! It will be short lived, I assume they will stop the beta run just before the next lg season! And we will be back to the hit bubble once again so the “skilled players” can get a shot on net lol!

lol.
    Getting cartwheeled or otherwise laid out actually..usually!.. doesn’t take that much out of you, as long as you don’t try to fight it too hard.

Hits will eventually wear you down, especially in grindy clutch and grabby games, but much less than a spectator would think.

Tuck and roll baby lol

It’s not what the hit does to the player himself! It’s what it does to his gameplay! If a guy is driving in on the side trying the same spinoramma/ deke score attempt and I lay him out five times let’s say, he’s gonna come up with something else. He’s not gonna keep attempting the same crap over and over! He’s gonna get creative! Why? Cause he can’t just get by people as easy. Gonna have to make passes or better plays! Big hits force better hockey period!

lol.

Straight up facts! You know it @WainGretSki

lol.

Yea. Sadly, I do. To be clear I found it funny, wasn't being sarcastic.

lol.

Yea. Sadly, I do. To be clear I found it funny, wasn't being sarcastic.

No I know bud, for sure lol! Just wanted to clarify we on same page!

Tuck and roll baby lol

It’s not what the hit does to the player himself! It’s what it does to his gameplay! If a guy is driving in on the side trying the same spinoramma/ deke score attempt and I lay him out five times let’s say, he’s gonna come up with something else. He’s not gonna keep attempting the same crap over and over! He’s gonna get creative! Why? Cause he can’t just get by people as easy. Gonna have to make passes or better plays! Big hits force better hockey period!

O
    Ya!
    I’m totally with you. Hits are what keep everyone honest. Ego’s in check and provide the balance the game requires. In fact, I believe a lot of the frustration would dissipate if we could lay people out, instead of this hug fest presently.

For that reason Beta can’t come back soon enough!
  • I'm glad to see other people so fired up about hits; important part of the game

Tuck and roll baby lol

I had a guy last night, one trick pony, tried same cross crease wrister and I just layed him out probably 20 times in a row, he just kept trying it. I messaged him after and said you should try a new way in the zone, he then said I suck.
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    Hits are a funny thing.

Tuck and roll baby lol

I had a guy last night, one trick pony, tried same cross crease wrister and I just layed him out probably 20 times in a row, he just kept trying it. I messaged him after and said you should try a new way in the zone, he then said I suck.

Which would have made me smile..hope you did
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    Hits are a funny thing.

Tuck and roll baby lol

Sad part is his tactic didn't work against you but probably worked for his next 5 games. It isn't for nothing that he tries that all game long. Risk vs reward.