EA Forums - Banner

Dear Devs: Will Custom Music Finally Make a Return in NHL 21?

13Next

Replies

• MaxPac67 wrote: »
    EA make money from their awful soundtracks... If you could add your own music, you wouldnt listen to their music. Then they wouldnt make as much money. So no... they wont let you do that.

EA actually has to pay to use the songs, and even the goal horns. They don't make a dime with music.

Hey EA, if you gave us custom music back, you wouldn't have to spend a single dime on songs and hoal horns. Wouldn't that be great? ;)

I'd personally love to see something like Spotify incorporated into the sports titles so you can choose your own playlist or it can constantly evolve with new playlists.

That Hockey Arena Goal song is quite a throwback, love it! Glad you shared that. :)

These requests are completely valid, but if I may ask, do any of you turn down the music settings in games and play your own music from another device? Every once and a while I'll keep the sound on my TV with the music disabled and plug my headset into my phone for Spotify. It's an alternative solution if you're looking for one for the time being.

I completely turn off the music everywhere. Menu, in game, etc (especially for dropins, ugh, that festive ambiance without my own songs? No thanks)

My tastes and the songs that EA chooses are worlds apart, so I just turn on the generic music for the menus. It is the lesser evil.

I don't play music from another source because I want to hear what's going on in the game, such as whistles or the last 10 seconds of the period warning for example.

Ideally, EA needs to stop wasting money on songs that please only a small mass because people have such varying tastes in music that it literally is impossible to please that many people. In the end, you are lucky to get one song you like and one song that you don't mind and out of what? 18 songs? So, wasted money if you ask me, but; that's just me.
  • MaxPac67
    150 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    These requests are completely valid, but if I may ask, do any of you turn down the music settings in games and play your own music from another device? Every once and a while I'll keep the sound on my TV with the music disabled and plug my headset into my phone for Spotify. It's an alternative solution if you're looking for one for the time being.

Listening to Spotify while playing does nothing for me, and it's not an alternative solution at all.

I don't know if you're aware, but during the PS3/360 era we were able to use our songs/playlists for the following:

- Menu music
    - Goal horns and songs
    - Away goals
    - Break-in-plays
    - Pre game intros
    - Powerplays
    - Penalty killings
    - Intermissions
    - Home team wins/losses

Heck, if I remember correctly you could even assigns different goal songs to specific players.

I like the current state of gameplay, but as an offline only player franchise mode can get quite boring. Bringing back custom music would add so much to realism. Please, make it happen, it can't be that hard.

• EA_Blueberry
    4770 posts EA Community Manager
    MaxPac67 wrote: »

I like the current state of gameplay, but as an offline only player franchise mode can get quite boring. Bringing back custom music would add so much to realism. Please, make it happen, it can't be that hard.

I have confidence the team can do it, but it's much more than just inserting a song you like into the game. There have been a lot of changes within the music industry since the 360's and PS3's, like rights to play artist songs and how they are entitled to revenue. A popular request I see across all our sports games is "why isn't that player in the game, it's so easy to add him/her!" It is possible the player requested not to be added to the game, we need their permission.

Even tattoo artists are claiming rights to professional athletes tattoos on them now, so it's going to the extent where you need the tattoo's artist permission to put those in games.

If there is any custom music and genres you want to see added to the game, that would be an awesome post to throw up and start gathering some recommendations like the NHL 21 wishlist post we have.
  • MaxPac67
    150 posts Member
    edited February 2020

I have confidence the team can do it, but it's much more than just inserting a song you like into the game. There have been a lot of changes within the music industry since the 360's and PS3's, like rights to play artist songs and how they are entitled to revenue. A popular request I see across all our sports games is "why isn't that player in the game, it's so easy to add him/her!" It is possible the player requested not to be added to the game, we need their permission.

Even tattoo artists are claiming rights to professional athletes tattoos on them now, so it's going to the extent where you need the tattoo's artist permission to put those in games.

If there is any custom music and genres you want to see added to the game, that would be an awesome post to throw up and start gathering some recommendations like the NHL 21 wishlist post we have.

I get the whole rights and permission thing. But why should this be an issue with custom music? I mean, it wouldn't be EA that adds music to the game. It would be us, the customers, who add songs we paid for (well, at least I hope so). Seems to be no problem for MLB the show, which has a pretty neat custom music feature.

Btw. I think it's great that guys like you and some developers are way more active in the forums than in recent months. I really appreciate you guys talking to the customers.

I get the whole rights and permission thing. But why should this be an issue with custom music? I mean, it wouldn't be EA that adds music to the game. It would be us, the customers, who add songs we paid for (well, at least I hope so). Seems to be no problem for MLB the show, which has a pretty neat custom music feature.

Btw. I think it's great that guys like you and some developers are way more active in the forums than in recent months. I really appreciate you guys talking to the customers.

Exactly, with Konami they just put a disclaimer saying that before you upload something, whether it be roster sharing or music or whatnot that they do not own the rights to any songs and are not responsible for any of the user uploaded content. Easy peezy.
  • MaxPac67
    150 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    For those interested, here's a video of how it worked in NHL 13:

And here's a video of how MLB the Show 19 does it:

This Rocks ! A possibility to add to all 32 (31) Hockey Arenas different music. This should be the way.
  • The Show is pretty much in a league of its own.
  • MaxPac67
    150 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Froommey wrote: »

This Rocks ! A possibility to add to all 32 (31) Hockey Arenas different music. This should be the way.

Yeah, this was the closest to the old PC days when you were basically able to change anything you wanted, i.e. jerseys, goalie gear, center ice logos, adds on the ice and on the boards, fan merch, broadcast overlays etc. etc. Now every arena feels pretty much the same. With custom music we could at least make them sound different and like in real life.

Look, EA, i get that all these gimmicky online modes are the new way to go, and I get that you want to make as much money out of it as possible. But there are still many old school offline guys like me out there, that have been neglected for a long time. Take a look at NBA 2k. I now this game gets bashed even more because of all those microtransactions. But just take a look at their My League mode. The customization possibilities you have are just awesome. I wish the NHL series would give their offline customers something like that to cheer about. Custom music would be a great start.
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited February 2020

Yeah, this was the closest to the old PC days when you were basically able to change anything you wanted, i.e. jerseys, goalie gear, center ice logos, adds on the ice and on the boards, fan merch, broadcast overlays etc. etc. Now every arena feels pretty much the same. With custom music we could at least make them sound different and like in real life.

Look, EA, i get that all these gimmicky online modes are the new way to go, and I get that you want to make as much money out of it as possible. But there are still many old school offline guys like me out there, that have been neglected for a long time. Take a look at NBA 2k. I now this game gets bashed even more because of all those microtransactions. But just take a look at their My League mode. The customization possibilities you have are just awesome. I wish the NHL series would give their offline customers something like that to cheer about. Custom music would be a great start.

From my opinion the NHL Team underestimate the mass of offline Players. I guess the most Customer, especially the older guys are and I am too. Unfortunately I am not interested in Basketball but I believe you that the customization at NBA 2K is great.
  • Steven5470
    355 posts Member
    edited February 2020

From my opinion the NHL Team underestimate the mass of offline Players. I guess the most Customer, especially the older guys are and I am too. Unfortunately I am not interested in Basketball but I believe you that the customization at NBA 2K is great.

Offline players have been underestimated for years now and I'm honestly not sure where that came from or how it happened. I've been playing this series since the 1995(?) Sega Genesis NHL hockey through the PC up to the PS4 version. But while it's been on the Playstation / XBox, I don't recall from any forums where the community was, "I wish there were more online modes and less offline!" Or even, "I wish online got more focus and offline game play and features were ignored", because that is what has happened.

Honestly, I think this was an EA decision, not community, to go the online route. All the forums I've read through the years have been on improving offline game play and adding more features. EA decided to go the other direction. Suddenly, we have generic music for goals..this takes away from the entire atmosphere of the game. But hey, at least we have online "threes"?? And even that isn't working right because the stadium you select doesn't match the one you actually play in!

Over the past few years I have been generally frustrated and bewildered by the amount of attention online receives. Yet, all I read is how offline needs fixed and more features added.

All that online attention has taken away from the core offline game play experience. I get it...EA is all about the money they get from online. But this reduces quality for offline and you will lose your offline players and the general offline experience. Personally, I'm finding more enjoyment in the latest text hockey sim than I am in this game. They've started to push me away, and if it happens to one, it will have to many, many others.

Exactly. Users would be simply be inserting their already purchased songs into the game. There's no music licensing issue in this regard, as EA wouldn't be sharing any music.

If anything, EA would need to secure the rights from Microsoft to integrate Windows Media Player with the NHL game as a means to provide music file sharing across a LAN. That's how NHL's custom music feature was previously supported on the 360.
  • JoyToTheWorld14
    51 posts Member
    edited February 2020

Heck, I used the custom music feature of NHL 2004 PC, and during the 360 era, as an ONline player. I had over 4000 full songs (for menu music), and probably 50 custom crop edits for in-game event triggers on my media server. :)
  • Here we are with NHL 21 and no custom music still.. Can we move this to the NHL 21 Thread?
  • vogtbott
    2 posts New member
    I'd really love to have the Kings' actual goal song Power Ride 2010 instead of that weird soundalike. I used to have it loaded years ago but I don't even remember what year now.
  • vogtbott
    2 posts New member
    First thing I always do with this game when the new one comes out is go into the menu and turn off the soundtrack and turn it to the generic menu music. Always.
  • It would legit make this game so much better I can’t even play with my hawks in franchise or use the arena in HUT because it makes me want to vomit listening to the goal horn and worse goal song ever. I actually like the gameplay just need some better ai and goaltending. I spent over 10 hours putting the music in MLB the Show and it has made me play the game longer and spend some money because I could hear my custom music in game even online so it was so cool to hit a home run and hear my White Sox song come on against another ai just by having the game give you the option to do so.
  • This has to be an option in NHL 22 to make the game more authentic, I am sick of the problems with NHL but this feature would/could save the video game franchise. I feel like it has fallen off in recent years. I stopped at NHL 20 and I am waiting until they produce a quality game with these major features
  • > @EA_Blueberry said:
    > I have confidence the team can do it, but it's much more than just inserting a song you like into the game. There have been a lot of changes within the music industry since the 360's and PS3's, like rights to play artist songs and how they are entitled to revenue. A popular request I see across all our sports games is "why isn't that player in the game, it's so easy to add him/her!" It is possible the player requested not to be added to the game, we need their permission.
    >
    > Even tattoo artists are claiming rights to professional athletes tattoos on them now, so it's going to the extent where you need the tattoo's artist permission to put those in games.
    >
    > If there is any custom music and genres you want to see added to the game, that would be an awesome post to throw up and start gathering some recommendations like the NHL 21 wishlist post we have.

PLEASE look into this for NHL 22, it seems entirely possible. We want these features, I have been purchasing NHL games from 2003 to 2020. This needs to happen and return FOR GOOD