EA Forums - Banner

BETA TUNER DETAILS + FEEDBACK THREAD

Replies

  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    I only play versus so this is my take on it after a few games. Puck control is definitely improved. I'm not losing it so easily to the slightest bumps from players or skates. Poke checks are more effective but in a good way. They seem to be poking faster and more accurately compared to before.

    The beta didn't do anything to make it easier to hold onto the puck after bumps - in fact, it did the opposite, making it easier to bump people off the puck. If you're seeing that since the new tuner, you're just imagining it.
  • I don't think the game is hugely different - probably because they kept all the patches in place. But it's definitely much better, mainly because hitting now works and is much more consistent. (Goalies seem marginally better.) There are still lots of problems with this game (terrible AI, wonky physics, bad puck pickups), but EA should definitely keep this tuner in place - with the exception of the slightly-better tuning for stick lifts, nothing about 1.03 is superior to it.

    Only thing that they should ditch are the broken sticks - just an added level of randomness that this already random game does not need.
  • Pokes are back to ignoring the puck in favor of skates.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    gbaby11 wrote: »
    I’ve logged countless hours of NHL since 09 so I’ve seen it all in the past 10 years. What I love most about the original Beta tuner is the unpredictable nature of the game. Hockey is a fast paced sport and in recent years and the updated tuners this year have made the game rote and monotonous because of the poke checking and over powered defence. The beta tuner is most exciting because defence is a challenge and you have to think whether to make the hit, poke check or stick lift. It’s not the same play over and over again. Just like real hockey, you have to think quick to make the right play. This leads to more of a high flying offensive game and rewards those with all around defensive skill. This defensive skill curve with the dynamic skating and better goalies makes for the best experience since the days of chel on the 360. The debate whether it’s better or not could go on and on but the fact is EA chose to release the game this year like this and those that love it shouldn’t have to suffer with reverting back to the awful NHL 18 version.

    Great post, agree fully.

    I would like to see EA bring the game right back to day 1 with the patches reverted to 1.0 along with the tuner.

    That's the biggest problem with this game in general. They don't want talent to reign supreme. They want everyone to feel like a winner majority of the time. If you have played Rocket League there are huge skill gaps from bad to average and average to elite and even elite to Gods.

    NHL plays too slow so it allows for anyone to be good at defense if they aren't stupid and know what to cover with ease. When you speed up the game like 25% of what we currently have is you got a game where your reactions matter. Slow players on offense get punished by good defenders closing gaps fast. Good offense breaks down defense faster giving them less time to think and react.

    Just so I'm understanding this right. Are you saying it's too slow as it is?

    I'd like to know too.

    For months people have been saying defense is too difficult & bad offense is rewarded.

    Now people are saying defense was overpowered & too easy to play?
  • Brygelsmack
    13 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    This is feedback for Online Versus.

    I've played 8 games with the tuner (6-2-0, lost to some guy twice with awful connection, those bars aren't always accurate at all), but generally the game feels a lot better.

    I've found that people can't rag the puck as much because the hitting works (not always perfect, people will still squeeze through around the boards where there's literally no space - but it's better than it was), and they're forced to play it around which inevitably causes more turnovers and puck battles = more realistic hockey.

    I can finally beat MrDangleLordRagMaster5000 now because he can't rag it in the corner until he gets a shortside snipe or cross crease goal. I shutout someone top 100 because I could limit him to 6 shots. His playstyle just went completely out the window because he can't cheese his way to wins anymore. It's beautiful.

    It's not all perfect. My immediate impression was that puck pickup works better in this tuner (was anything done to it?), but AI pickups are still pretty bad:

    https://streamable.com/tjt38

    Why do they hesitate so much to pick it up? It's infuriating. They do this slow animation and just get embarrassed by the opponent. AI needs to be way more decisive when they're close to the puck. Also, if I accidentally pass the puck and my player is still the one closest to it, the game will switch players anyway, and my previously selected player will turn into an AI and skate away even if he's STILL the closest one to the puck.

    Goalies should just be straight up better. I recorded this one because this happened twice in two games, same exact shot:

    https://streamable.com/125yy

    Unscreened, far out shot. Should be saved 99% of times.


    Pokes are not where they should be either. This also shows an unscreened shot from far out. My player is essentially invisible and he gets a free goal. 100% avoidable and equally rage inducing for your players.

    https://streamable.com/duyy4
  • Anyone who plays know about how often those carbon fibers break? I use a woody cause old, and just play shinny so not a good representation.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • jiajji wrote: »
    Pokes are back to ignoring the puck in favor of skates.

    Noticed that too, but stick lifts feel a lot better and that’s a trade I’d make.

    After my first game today I’m pretty satisfied with the flow on both sides of the puck. Things make a bit more sense now and I’m not filled with a flash of panic every time Stick lifts executes. That’s a big quality of life thing for me. I was getting ok at it before but this feels worlds better.

    I’m on Xbox: kriptical f1pt4 playing 6v6 drops ins if anyone wants to muck around through the weekend.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Wait, what the... I start up the game today and the skating feels sluggish and slow again. Did they revert it over night?
  • Wait, what the... I start up the game today and the skating feels sluggish and slow again. Did they revert it over night?

    Nope EA servers are just unpredictable. You never know what you are going to get :)
  • repetius
    30 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Like since yesterday my EASHL two way forward feels lighter and more agile than 94 Sakic in HUT.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are goalies still weak as hell on short side goals? I mean I've seen a lot less of them but they still go in real easy from what I've seen.

    Still weak as hell. I just had two games where it was nothing but toe drag wrister from the top of face-off circle.

    I think the part where goalies used to save those kinds of shots were changed in a patch, not a tuner, thus still weak unscreened garbage going in.

    ... sad then.
  • WFWR26 wrote: »
    Doesnt matter what tuner we have when your game is so full of scripting that its still a joke...Take a 2-1 lead in a hard fought game puck possession pretty much even...yet in the last 2 minutes you could literally fell the game take over and make sure the other team tied it up...bounces that were 50/50 before magically went to them every time until they tied the game up...#endDDA

    I agree lol so obvious.
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Well I really hope that with the new tuner coming after this one, a patch will come with it.

    Weak short side goals need to be addressed, it's still unacceptable.

    Still way better than 1.03 though, I think any tuner could be better without even trying.

    So true. End weak short side. Better goalies please.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    gbaby11 wrote: »
    I’ve logged countless hours of NHL since 09 so I’ve seen it all in the past 10 years. What I love most about the original Beta tuner is the unpredictable nature of the game. Hockey is a fast paced sport and in recent years and the updated tuners this year have made the game rote and monotonous because of the poke checking and over powered defence. The beta tuner is most exciting because defence is a challenge and you have to think whether to make the hit, poke check or stick lift. It’s not the same play over and over again. Just like real hockey, you have to think quick to make the right play. This leads to more of a high flying offensive game and rewards those with all around defensive skill. This defensive skill curve with the dynamic skating and better goalies makes for the best experience since the days of chel on the 360. The debate whether it’s better or not could go on and on but the fact is EA chose to release the game this year like this and those that love it shouldn’t have to suffer with reverting back to the awful NHL 18 version.

    Great post, agree fully.

    I would like to see EA bring the game right back to day 1 with the patches reverted to 1.0 along with the tuner.

    That's the biggest problem with this game in general. They don't want talent to reign supreme. They want everyone to feel like a winner majority of the time. If you have played Rocket League there are huge skill gaps from bad to average and average to elite and even elite to Gods.

    NHL plays too slow so it allows for anyone to be good at defense if they aren't stupid and know what to cover with ease. When you speed up the game like 25% of what we currently have is you got a game where your reactions matter. Slow players on offense get punished by good defenders closing gaps fast. Good offense breaks down defense faster giving them less time to think and react.

    Just so I'm understanding this right. Are you saying it's too slow as it is?

    It is.
  • Love love love the beta! Please keep it. The challenging gameplay are truly more realistic and responsive. (Offline player.). This is hockey as it should be played.
  • Pokes are not where they should be either. This also shows an unscreened shot from far out. My player is essentially invisible and he gets a free goal. 100% avoidable and equally rage inducing for your players.

    https://streamable.com/duyy4

    Yeah - everything about that play is awful. Poke hits offensive player's stick but doesn't have any effect. Offensive player drags stick through defensive player's body and has no problem holding onto the puck. Goalie gives up weak goal on wrist shot from above the circles. Terrible.

  • I'm still having a lot of fun with this tuner, though it still isn't as fun as the beta.

    3 main things that bother me

    -Skating still needs to be faster
    -Weak goals
    -Poke checking is a big sore spot
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    I'm still having a lot of fun with this tuner, though it still isn't as fun as the beta.

    3 main things that bother me

    -Skating still needs to be faster
    -Weak goals
    -Poke checking is a big sore spot

    On the bold part, can you elaborate on this? How is poke checking a sore spot?

  • langowski39
    71 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    For the first time ever playing an NHL series as a DMan I finally feel : mobile, agile, hostile. Skating felt soo good yesterday. Game-play felt fluid, everything felt very much improved. I didn't play the beta so I can say I came into this without rose colored glasses. If you don't think this is an improvement over what the game has been for the last month or so then you need to re-exam yourself, and your thinking. Start breaking habits that offensively and defensively that where allowed to developed for the past years.
    If you see Grammar or Spelling errors. I am starting to experience the long term effects of ten plus concussions.
  • Pokechecks a little rough, but not totally radioactive the way stick lift was nearing pre-rollback. However, DSS (personally) is much more useful. If I had to horse trade and compromise what we have right now with future refinement with regard to poke checks in the future.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.