EA Forums - Banner

BETA TUNER DETAILS + FEEDBACK THREAD

Replies

• RSall14
    613 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    EASHL 6s ONLY

Skating is infinitely better and more responsive than tuner 1.03. Playing on East servers doesn't feel as bad now. I'd like the speed to be upped a little bit but I'd be fine if we stuck with this tuner until they decided on what to put in 1.04. Game is actually pretty fun to play right now, doesn't feel like a chore.
    Post edited by RSall14 on
  • It’s pretty terrible imo. All I’ve been seeing now are glitch goals that weren’t issues prior to the rollback. Maybe it’s just my sample size/people I played against but yikes. Give me the other tuner any day. The games were way more fun.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    518 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    amcottre wrote: »
    It’s pretty terrible imo. All I’ve been seeing now are glitch goals that weren’t issues prior to the rollback. Maybe it’s just my sample size/people I played against but yikes. Give me the other tuner any day. The games were way more fun.

The one hand tuck and backhand to quick forehand cheese goals of the beta tuner can easily be avoided, much more so than the ones in 1.03 imo
  • amcottre wrote: »
    It’s pretty terrible imo. All I’ve been seeing now are glitch goals that weren’t issues prior to the rollback. Maybe it’s just my sample size/people I played against but yikes. Give me the other tuner any day. The games were way more fun.

When you say glitch goals, which ones? I've seen much less of the short side. I've seen mostly cross crease 1 timers off of straight line plays which is shut down with good d.
  • How the NHL allows EA to produce this type of gameplay to showcase to the rest of the world that the NHL all about diving to get a penalty, is pretty sad. What do you think when someone who doesn't know hockey picks up 19 and learns if a stick touches someone's skate or leg they fall and draw a penalty, that's not how it works in real life this isn't soccer where a player dives when they get touched, but that's the message EA is sending to the rest of the world with their garbage developers and gameplay for poke checking in this game. Just shocked the NHL is okay with EA showcasing their players like this to the rest of the world, definitely sending the wrong message.

On a side note for the developers again, who really have a hard time figuring things out by the looks of it, how does a shot count on my goalie if I bump their player off the puck and my goalie grabs the loose puck? Especially when you have hut challenges allowing only a certain amount of shots against, but a loose puck counts as a shot? Just more examples of how out to lunch these developers are for this game, it's like the guys developing them don't even play NHL games.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I don’t think stick lifts overpowered at all. From a perspective of how much I would use it on the ice(not a video game), it feels fine. I say this as someone who predominantly playes W Dangler.

Wading in and out of people, who can’t really do much more than hug and hope for incidental, doesn’t strike me as more challenging. This is more realistic as to what you would face..and fun..it’s more fun..

Agree. I would like a little tweak in steal rate with stick lifts. Should happen more at a standstill and less while in motion.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    I only play versus so this is my take on it after a few games. Puck control is definitely improved. I'm not losing it so easily to the slightest bumps from players or skates. Poke checks are more effective but in a good way. They seem to be poking faster and more accurately compared to before.

The beta didn't do anything to make it easier to hold onto the puck after bumps - in fact, it did the opposite, making it easier to bump people off the puck. If you're seeing that since the new tuner, you're just imagining it.

The tuner before this one was actually a pain with puck control. Winning faceoffs was almost meaningless and often it was beneficial to let opponent win in certain areas. The touch to the skates and losing it was out of control. The tuner seemed to have fixed it. If I had to choose between being stuck with this tuner or the one before, I'd take this and call it a day. 300+ games so far, this tuner is flatout better.

• drod1126 wrote: »

If it were my sole decision, I'd keep this tuner and make the minor changes to gameplay. I think the game play is better. But now I remember not liking the stick lifts, and the randomness of low skill players just firing junk on net and getting rewarded. But that is the lesser of two evils, and I just really appreciate the defensive diversity that is now available to me. Although the net result is much of the technical skill of the gameplay is gone. Basically this is a Pandora's box.

The technical skill is still there. People have to adapt like we had when the previous tuners went to the extreme end of the spectrum. Its going to take a day or so. It was very painful yesterday for me yesterday as I tried to break me of all the bad defensive habits I have picked up over the past few month. You mentioned low skill players just firing junk and getting rewarded. I believe your next statement contradicts what you said. We have the defensive diversity to counter the offense, You can easily stop those one trick ponies now with the abilities defensively we now have. That being said I would point to my statement earlier and am more incline to believe you are still adapting.

I'm saying that this tuner has more randomness ( in bad goals and great saves ). And I played a game where the opp was a no skill player just throwing pucks at net and pressing sticklift. He scored 3 goals, 2 were absolute junk. I had 4 cross crease 1 timers robbed and missed the net on gimmie tap ins on several 2 on 1's. That was just the third period alone. I lost 3-2 in a game that was comically dominated. I'll probably adjust, but I see much more randomness in goals, and in my case, the wrong outcome occured. But it's better gameplay.
  • langowski39
    71 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    drod1126 wrote: »
    drod1126 wrote: »

If it were my sole decision, I'd keep this tuner and make the minor changes to gameplay. I think the game play is better. But now I remember not liking the stick lifts, and the randomness of low skill players just firing junk on net and getting rewarded. But that is the lesser of two evils, and I just really appreciate the defensive diversity that is now available to me. Although the net result is much of the technical skill of the gameplay is gone. Basically this is a Pandora's box.

The technical skill is still there. People have to adapt like we had when the previous tuners went to the extreme end of the spectrum. Its going to take a day or so. It was very painful yesterday for me yesterday as I tried to break me of all the bad defensive habits I have picked up over the past few month. You mentioned low skill players just firing junk and getting rewarded. I believe your next statement contradicts what you said. We have the defensive diversity to counter the offense, You can easily stop those one trick ponies now with the abilities defensively we now have. That being said I would point to my statement earlier and am more incline to believe you are still adapting.

I'm saying that this tuner has more randomness ( in bad goals and great saves ). And I played a game where the opp was a no skill player just throwing pucks at net and pressing sticklift. He scored 3 goals, 2 were absolute junk. I had 4 cross crease 1 timers robbed and missed the net on gimmie tap ins on several 2 on 1's. That was just the third period alone. I lost 3-2 in a game that was comically dominated. I'll probably adjust, but I see much more randomness in goals, and in my case, the wrong outcome occured. But it's better gameplay.

My friends and I thought we where experiencing what you described as randomness. Then I went back and watched some of these goals that went it and noticed that screens are extremely effective.
    If you see Grammar or Spelling errors. I am starting to experience the long term effects of ten plus concussions.
  • PadrinoIV wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are goalies still weak as hell on short side goals? I mean I've seen a lot less of them but they still go in real easy from what I've seen.

Still weak as hell. I just had two games where it was nothing but toe drag wrister from the top of face-off circle.

I think the part where goalies used to save those kinds of shots were changed in a patch, not a tuner, thus still weak unscreened garbage going in.

... sad then.

I played a game where the goalie left the entire blocker side wide open and let them in from almost the blue a couple times.
  • This is feedback for Online Versus.

I've played 8 games with the tuner (6-2-0, lost to some guy twice with awful connection, those bars aren't always accurate at all), but generally the game feels a lot better.

I've found that people can't rag the puck as much because the hitting works (not always perfect, people will still squeeze through around the boards where there's literally no space - but it's better than it was), and they're forced to play it around which inevitably causes more turnovers and puck battles = more realistic hockey.

I can finally beat MrDangleLordRagMaster5000 now because he can't rag it in the corner until he gets a shortside snipe or cross crease goal. I shutout someone top 100 because I could limit him to 6 shots. His playstyle just went completely out the window because he can't cheese his way to wins anymore. It's beautiful.

It's not all perfect. My immediate impression was that puck pickup works better in this tuner (was anything done to it?), but AI pickups are still pretty bad:

https://streamable.com/tjt38

Why do they hesitate so much to pick it up? It's infuriating. They do this slow animation and just get embarrassed by the opponent. AI needs to be way more decisive when they're close to the puck. Also, if I accidentally pass the puck and my player is still the one closest to it, the game will switch players anyway, and my previously selected player will turn into an AI and skate away even if he's STILL the closest one to the puck.

Goalies should just be straight up better. I recorded this one because this happened twice in two games, same exact shot:

https://streamable.com/125yy

Unscreened, far out shot. Should be saved 99% of times.

Pokes are not where they should be either. This also shows an unscreened shot from far out. My player is essentially invisible and he gets a free goal. 100% avoidable and equally rage inducing for your players.

https://streamable.com/duyy4

Goalies seriously need an overhaul. Why doesn’t the goalie slide across the cross anticipating the shot going to his chest instead of using his blocker to punch the puck? The same things goes for why does the goalie have his glove up before the shot but then puts it down when the shots coming and tries to windmill it?

The goalie had a clear line of sight for the puck and still let it in. Maybe they could tune that so the goalies don’t do that or maybe they need new animations. The point though is that shouldn’t go in. It’s not like it was a snipe, it was a stoppable puck.
  • i find the game is better now than 1.03 ..

skating is better , goalie are well made..

i like what i see.
  • This is going to sound stupid, but I really don't think this is exactly the same as the beta tuner, although I didn't actually play the beta a ton (maybe like 6 or 7 games), I just always assumed the tuner on release was essentially the beta tuner with minor tweaks since it felt pretty similar, but anyways I'll go over my opinions (might be long) on this tuner because I actually do want to play a good hockey game and it seems like the devs are trying to get there too.

The skating is great as we all know, its responsive and quick and I think if they get all the incidental contact/bumps sorted it will be a really good offensive tool. Another added bonus on the skating in this tuner is that is actually masks the delay you might get in those 40 - 50 ping games and allows you to still be able to move around and make plays. The biggest thing for me is that while the acceleration is a bit too low, the pace of games in EASHL is a lot higher which is something the mode has suffered from greatly. Anyways theres not much else to say, this skating is the way to go from here.

Pokes are really bad, like really bad. This is where I feel this is not the exact same as the beta/september release tuner. I remember being in the minority of people who actually liked the pokes, back then my opinion was that if you make a good poke they lose the puck, if you don't you get a tripping call (though I did agree poking from the sides sometimes you could get screwed over) I felt like it was pretty black and white and created a nice skill gap when it came to poking. Right now playing this there is no skill gap, you're pretty much better off just not touching R1 at all. If you're in a good spot to poke, half the time your stick will go through the puck/puck will get slightly knocked off but they will regain possession right away/you get a tripping call. Thats what I feel about poking one on one back skating. Poking from the side is not even an option, you may have a clear angle to poke but your guy for some reason will have the worst poking aim and just poke at the legs anyway for a trip. The pokes in the tuner at release are still my favourite, but I don't think the 1.3 tuner pokes are bad and would much rather that than the "beta" pokes.

There's not much to say about sticklifts, they're just super OP. Literally if I'm in a spot where I'm under pressure I just spam sticklift near a player and it usually works. Tuner 1.30 sticklifts are good imo.

This is the absolute worst thing about this tuner (along with pokes). The incidental contact and bumps are at the absolute worst state I've seen, although I will say on ps4 its not too horrible, but from the few games I've played on xbox its pretty much unplayable, just keep in mind everything I say is x500 if you're on xbox. Bumps are too OP, I think everyone knew that would be the case going in, bumps are too non-existent in 1.3, they really just need to find a balance middle ground here. My biggest issue is with the overall incidental contact, you could literally just lose the puck off absolutely anything, someone could graze you, not even try to check you and you'll stumble and lose the puck, its pretty ridiculous, you feel like you're constantly running away from the other team so that you don't get bumped. I literally had one play earlier in a Vs where the guy I was playing had a breakaway, I was following him, I didn't bump or poke or anything, I was just behind him and there was some crazy incidental contact and he lost the puck. It worked in my favour but this sort of thing happens regularly. Overall just keep the incidental contact in 1.3, buff the bumps a little on 1.3, dont have it so that you can easily bump people from behind if they're moving (sizes of the players should have an impact on this obviously).

That was a bit long, but I wanted to get that out there in hopes the devs see it and take it into consideration. I play competitively a bit and these are opinions that are pretty widely shared among the LG NHL community.

• One thing I forgot to add to my post, was my opinion on the puck physics. The puck bounces for 6s on 1.3 are absolutely horrid, the most garbage random goals go in and you feel like you're pretty much at the mercy of the game, this is by far my biggest problem with 6s (these issues aren't as prevalent in HUT and Vs from my experience). The beta tuner bounces seem a lot better, though the rebounds are still OP so low shots are still a big thing, you don't see as many of the ridiculously terrible goals from my experience, its tough to say whether this is because of the puck physics being different or if the goalie animations have to do with this, but all in all I'd much rather beta puck physics/bounces over 1.3 any day.
  • LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I Gotta say after playing 2 days of 1.0 tuner with new patches I don't want it to end.

I've yet to feel too powerful on defense or offense. I haven't felt like opponent was rewarded by OP defense or offense. The only thing I would like to see is some of the weak goals fixed but other than that this has been great.

It's been awesome to see great passing plays come back. Just played some versus, myself and opponents were setting up great passing plays that were worthy of watching full replays. I haven't seen that many times in 1.03.

I'm hoping this is the direction you guys take when 1.05 comes out because I've been glued to PS4 with this tuner, it's just fun to play.
    Post edited by LeFury_27 on
  • jiajji wrote: »
    Funny, I thought dss was better before the rollback. Also it's odd to read that people this this is perfect, both tuners had good and bad points.

For example the skating is rough, you cant carve an edge, it's slow, it feels like you're driving a bus. But it makes dump & chase a viable option so I'm not sure what I'd rather have at this point.

Your right about the skating. Think I only really got going once after focusing on it a full game. Lately I’m a umm petite dangler so fairly quick to begin with.

Loving the bumps and stick lifts of this tuner. Really wish they leave them just like this.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    I Gotta say after playing 2 days of 1.0 tuner with new patches I don't want it to end.

I've yet to feel too powerful on defense or offense. I haven't felt like opponent was rewarded by OP defense or offense. The only thing I would like to see is some of the weak goals fixed but or than that this has been great.

It's been awesome to see great passing plays come back. Just played some versus, myself and opponents were setting up great passing plays that were worthy of watching full replays. I haven't seen that many times in 1.03.

I'm hoping this is the direction you guys take when 1.05 comes out because I've been glued to PS4 with this tuner, it's just fun to play.

It’s been great. The games in 6’s have been the full gamut. From running all sorts of fun plays, with great passing, and edge of your seat scoring. To guys less inclined to pass which turned into grindy 1-0 blue collar matches...and pretty much everything in between. Fewer people were quitting when things went pear shaped and the ones that stayed often were able to rally into at least ot, if not crazy last second wins where people actually cheered. Even the tight losses everyone left in good spirits
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

I've yet to feel too powerful on defense or offense. I haven't felt like opponent was rewarded by OP defense or offense. The only thing I would like to see is some of the weak goals fixed but or than that this has been great.

It’s been great. The games in 6’s have been the full gamut. From running all sorts of fun plays, with great passing, and edge of your seat scoring. To guys less inclined to pass which turned into grindy 1-0 blue collar matches...and pretty much everything in between. Fewer people were quitting when things went pear shaped and the ones that stayed often were able to rally into at least ot, if not crazy last second wins where people actually cheered. Even the tight losses everyone left in good spirits

I've noticed this too in both EASHL and versus. Opponent or my team in drop in many times down more than 3-5 goals and they kept playing for the whole game.

One of the things I was just thinking about is I was playing NHL 19 for the last 2 days and I haven't once thought about go to goals or puck ragging. I've went into every game and just played hockey while being quite successful. That I believe is why it's so fun.

First person who quit against me just a minute ago was playing 1-4 skill zone but failed to score through 2 and a half periods. I actually do not mind the skill zone at all with this tuner, it's easy to beat and I've been playing some dump and chase. I feel this replicates hockey pretty good right now, and most of all it's fun as hell to play.
  • TheNitwitable7
    68 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Well some more impressions I had tonight while playing EASHL 3's. The AI defender is just terrible now, plain and simple. Never in position, ever. Also, it seems like it's harder to stop cross creases now? The skating and invincibility bubbles feel slightly improved, hitting is pretty good. The dump and chase also seems to be more effective for our team now, although that could be something to do with the AI players being idiots.
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    The game is so balanced right now!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!