EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 Roster Update - April 17th

Check out the details on the latest Roster changes here.

Best Controller for EA NHL?

Just curious if the stock Xbox controller is the best controller to buy for this game. I know there are some 3rd party companies that make good gaming controllers and they specify for shooters.

Is there a specific company that makes a good controller for this game?

Replies

• Elite controller. Can’t imagine playing without buttons on the bottom. I like the scruff sticks too. Slightly different than the set which comes with the Elite for mixing and matching. Personally, the tallest on LS and shortest on RS are what’s working ..this week!
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Elite controller. Can’t imagine playing without buttons on the bottom. I like the scruff sticks too. Slightly different than the set which comes with the Elite for mixing and matching. Personally, the tallest on LS and shortest on RS are what’s working ..this week!

Only problem is I know 7 people that bought the elite controller and they all broke within 6-7 months. Personally I just get regular controllers from EB games, pay the $7.50 for the 1 yr warranty then take it back when my left stick wears out and get another, pay the $7.50 again, rinse and repeat every few months. I haven’t paid more than the $7.50 for one in 2 yrs. I go through one every 3-4 months.
  • Kriptical476
    377 posts Member
    edited January 19
    Wow that sucks. My elites about 14months so ymmv
    Post edited by Kriptical476 on
  • My elite fell apart. the grips on it came undone.
  • My elite fell apart. the grips on it came undone.

That might be it. I put the scruff grips on a while ago
  • monz
    747 posts Member
    Plain old conts, this game is burtal on controllers.
  • Wii balance board
  • Nuckles37 wrote: »
    Wii balance board

L33t !!1!1!!11!
  • xPDogg65x
    512 posts Member
    edited January 20
    monz wrote: »
    Plain old conts, this game is burtal on controllers.

Lol last time I took mine back to EB they asked me what broke on it,I said the left stick, she just looked at me and said “ you play a lot of NHL don’t you”.
  • i'm also Xbox and i was going through the stock controller what seemed like once a month and just stopped getting new ones. this xmas i got the Elite and it feels great. i also play with it plugged in (no bluetooth or Wifi) when online and it's all really helped my play.

all things considered, it's a big ticket item but worth it for me. NHL 19 is the only game i play and i'm OK with making the investment. next fall may be a different story if EA won't change a few things, disclosure being the most important to me at the moment.
  • Elite controller is great. Just don't drop it on a floor without carpet. It will destroy the controller. Aside from that, best controller I've used.
  • Any controller that has a rapid fire LT button...so the elite skaters can stay elite!! :)
    (Just a lil joke) please don’t nail me to the cross. Xoxo
  • i'm also Xbox and i was going through the stock controller what seemed like once a month and just stopped getting new ones. this xmas i got the Elite and it feels great. i also play with it plugged in (no bluetooth or Wifi) when online and it's all really helped my play.

all things considered, it's a big ticket item but worth it for me. NHL 19 is the only game i play and i'm OK with making the investment. next fall may be a different story if EA won't change a few things, disclosure being the most important to me at the moment.

That’s your problem right there. I had Xbox and broken about 10 controllers Playing nhl. I switched to PlayStation 3 years agoand never broke another left stick (LS) yet.
  • Any controller that has a rapid fire LT button...so the elite skaters can stay elite!! :)

L33t..
    Anyway, I’ve messed with the elites custom stick and trigger settings and it never works out. Lower the squeeze threshold on the trigger trying to make a pass charge faster by hitting 100% sooner = softer passes all around 🤨

Which is actually fine(despite really wishing passes would charge a half sec faster). The controller is really about keeping your thumbs on the triggers and using other fingers for the buttons. I never understood why controllers didn’t all head in this direction soon after the right joystick was added. Cause like..we have human hands and stuff...not like freaky insects or something...

To me the longer sticks totally help in games like this or project cars where a smooth apex through a corner is important. Microsoft s controllers were never as easy to be precise with as Sony’s. The elite helps a little with that because you can hold the thing differently as well. But ya, no L33t boosts that I’ve discovered.
  • Kriptical476
    377 posts Member
    edited January 23
    Ps: that name 🤦‍♂️
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    421 posts Member
    edited January 23
    Any controller that has a rapid fire LT button...so the elite skaters can stay elite!! :)

L33t..
    Anyway, I’ve messed with the elites custom stick and trigger settings and it never works out. Lower the squeeze threshold on the trigger trying to make a pass charge faster by hitting 100% sooner = softer passes all around 🤨

Which is actually fine(despite really wishing passes would charge a half sec faster). The controller is really about keeping your thumbs on the triggers and using other fingers for the buttons. I never understood why controllers didn’t all head in this direction soon after the right joystick was added. Cause like..we have human hands and stuff...not like freaky insects or something...

To me the longer sticks totally help in games like this or project cars where a smooth apex through a corner is important. Microsoft s controllers were never as easy to be precise with as Sony’s. The elite helps a little with that because you can hold the thing differently as well. But ya, no L33t boosts that I’ve discovered.

To the bolded... How the he.... I'm sure you meant it the other way around... Hopefully lol.

L33t..

To the bolded... How the he.... I'm sure you meant it the other way around... Hopefully lol.

Errr..
    Words words words...lol

Yes. Thumbs on the sticks..like a mammal!
    Even one, way down the evolutionary chain, such as myself!

L33t..

Errr..
    Words words words...lol

Yes. Thumbs on the sticks..like a mammal!
    Even one, way down the evolutionary chain, such as myself!

😂😂😂😂