EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

PUCK RAGGERS!

Prev13
Honestly the fun with this game is gone. People are so desperate for wins that they get a lead and then sit behind their net and of course ea has taken all of our defensive tools away. We can’t poke them or stick lift without getting penalties and let’s just forget about hitting them, all they have to do is hold their stick out and you just bounce right off them. Something has to be done about this. I dunno what can be done but if you are one of these ppl that have no lives and are that desperate to win and cant just have a fair, fun game then you need to look in the mirror. after all it’s just a game but the frustration is real and just makes you never wanna play this game again. The game is already dying but this just kills it. Grow up. #PUNISH THE RAGGERS

Replies

• vmx2014 wrote: »
    Honestly the fun with this game is gone. People are so desperate for wins that they get a lead and then sit behind their net and of course ea has taken all of our defensive tools away. We can’t poke them or stick lift without getting penalties and let’s just forget about hitting them, all they have to do is hold their stick out and you just bounce right off them. Something has to be done about this. I dunno what can be done but if you are one of these ppl that have no lives and are that desperate to win and cant just have a fair, fun game then you need to look in the mirror. after all it’s just a game but the frustration is real and just makes you never wanna play this game again. The game is already dying but this just kills it. Grow up. #PUNISH THE RAGGERS

What mode you playing?
  • vmx2014
    53 posts Member
    edited January 23
    It don’t matter

What mode you playing?

It doesn’t matter you always find some desperate ppl. Mostly happens in eashl 3v3 or 6’s. Club is unplayable 2-3 games ppl do this and then send hate mail saying we suck. Which is a joke because we all got 1000 goals. We ain’t bad, these ppl just make ppl rage. Happens in hut and vs also. Winning by 1 goal they rag.
    vmx2014 wrote: »

What mode you playing?

It doesn’t matter you always find some desperate ppl. Mostly happens in eashl 3v3 or 6’s. Club is unplayable 2-3 games ppl do this and then send hate mail saying we suck. Which is a joke because we all got 1000 goals. We ain’t bad, these ppl just make ppl rage. Happens in hut and vs also. Winning by 1 goal they rag.

I hear ya. Just try and forecheck...make them do something ...don’t even need to poke or go for big hits...pressure them and try to make them make a mistake

What mode you playing?

I hear ya. Just try and forecheck...make them do something ...don’t even need to poke or go for big hits...pressure them and try to make them make a mistake

Thanx man you think we don’t try? easier said then done. when one guy sits behind the net and you can’t catch or poke, or hit, or stick lift, what’s left!? then another guy is cherry picking so you double team him and he fires it down the ice and it’s an easy goal for them. This game is all connection based and when connection is bad, makes you slow as trash and you can’t keep up with ppl, ragging is the last thing you need.

Thanx man you think we don’t try? easier said then done. when one guy sits behind the net and you can’t catch or poke, or hit, or stick lift, what’s left!? then another guy is cherry picking so you double team him and he fires it down the ice and it’s an easy goal for them. This game is all connection based and when connection is bad, makes you slow as trash and you can’t keep up with ppl, ragging is the last thing you need.

I feel your pain, but would just like to add one point that the behind the net strategy is a valid one both in offensive and defensive zone. One of the strategy settings requires you to set up behind your net and wait for your offensive players to get in position. I'm not suggesting this is only what you see of course, I hate puck raggers as much as you do - I just want to play the game - but if someone is baiting you to change your forecheck so they have an easier entry into your zone that might not be just about puck ragging - it might be a valid offensive strategy per se...
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1683 posts Member
    edited January 23

What mode you playing?

Yup...anyway you look at it...it’s a scummy move. There’s a special place in hell for this type of gaming.
  • It's even worse in Versus or HUT where you can only control one player. The referee should stop the play or something if you stay too long in your own zone
  • JRbenji
    1 posts New member
    edited January 23
    For drop ins and club games

Easy fix for ragging would be that if u hog the puck your stamina/ energy drains causing you to have to pass or do something else with the puck
    If u hold it to long your player slows down like skating in mud making them easier to pin down

That would force people to play hockey

• JRbenji wrote: »
    For drop ins and club games

Easy fix for ragging would be that if u hog the puck your stamina/ energy drains causing you to have to pass or do something else with the puck
    If u hold it to long your player slows down like skating in mud making them easier to pin down

That would force people to play hockey

i play HUT the most and i don't come accross this issue too much but i think this is the best idea. it seems like a simple thing to add too.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited January 23
    If Possession of the puck by a team in their own zone surpasses 1 minute of in-game time (like 20-30 seconds real time) without any attempt to pass or dump the puck - a whistle should blow with a face-off in that zone.

Repeated violations should be penalties.

I understand and have even debated this is a legit tactic in hockey, but when considering esports and the balance required, you need to give up something - andnerfing a legit tactic that pushes the boundaries is something I think the community could agree on.
  • VeNOM2099
    2520 posts Member
    edited January 23
    If Possession of the puck by a team in their own zone surpasses 1 minute of in-game time (like 20-30 seconds real time) without any attempt to pass or dump the puck - a whistle should blow with a face-off in that zone.

I understand and have even debated this is a legit tactic in hockey, but when considering esports and the balance required, you need to give up something - and nerfing a legit tactic that pushes the boundaries is something I think the community could agree on.

I believe there is an NHL rule for delay of game that already exists for that, but it's very rarely enforced:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_of_game#Ice_hockey

Point #4 states that if a player or a goalie keeps the puck behind the net for more than a minute, it's should be penalized as delay of game, 2 minutes.

[Fixed URL - EA_Roger]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited January 23
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

I understand and have even debated this is a legit tactic in hockey, but when considering esports and the balance required, you need to give up something - and nerfing a legit tactic that pushes the boundaries is something I think the community could agree on.

I believe there is an NHL rule for delay of game that already exists for that, but it's very rarely enforced:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_of_game#Ice_hockey

Point #4 states that if a player or a goalie keeps the puck behind the net for more than a minute, it's should be penalized as delay of game, 2 minutes.

True, but implementing the rule word for word means it can be circumvented by simply skating in a circle around the net - which raggers will often do.
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_of_game_(ice_hockey)

True, but implementing the rule word for word means it can be circumvented by simply skating in a circle around the net - which raggers will often do.

Yep, there's always a way to work the system, I think this will turn into an epidemic that will plague this series
  • Well, if they skate around the net, then they're exposing themselves to getting the puck stripped, which is what we want, no?

There would also be a way to make the rule be a bit more organic in that it could be meant to be if the defending player doesn't move the puck out from behind the net and past his own blue line within a certain amount of time, he gets penalized.

I mean it IS a video game, so the rules can be bent a bit.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Well, if they skate around the net, then they're exposing themselves to getting the puck stripped, which is what we want, no?

There would also be a way to make the rule be a bit more organic in that it could be meant to be if the defending player doesn't move the puck out from behind the net and past his own blue line within a certain amount of time, he gets penalized.

Here is how I look at it... While I will NEVER rag a puck in order to run out time to win a game, I will go behind my net and sit there is the opponents defense consists of running back to their blue line to form a wall. For the record, I know NHL has a lot of modes, I am particularly talking about EASHL 3s club.
  • LiveDoggy wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Well, if they skate around the net, then they're exposing themselves to getting the puck stripped, which is what we want, no?

Here is how I look at it... While I will NEVER rag a puck in order to run out time to win a game, I will go behind my net and sit there is the opponents defense consists of running back to their blue line to form a wall. For the record, I know NHL has a lot of modes, I am particularly talking about EASHL 3s club.

This. I’m not skating into your wall or forcing the play into your trap if you refuse to forecheck at all. Especially in online vs, where I’ve watched my opponents switch repeatedly to a forechecking CPU in order to pull them back and throw 5 in the neutral zone. I’ll sit behind the net for as long as I want in that case. My team and I won’t do it as much in 3’s since there’s a lot more open ice for us to make a play even if they’re trapping.

I do love the angry messages I get when that happens in vs though. Sorry I’m not going to play right into your hands 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Jetset95 wrote: »

I feel your pain, but would just like to add one point that the behind the net strategy is a valid one both in offensive and defensive zone. One of the strategy settings requires you to set up behind your net and wait for your offensive players to get in position. I'm not suggesting this is only what you see of course, I hate puck raggers as much as you do - I just want to play the game - but if someone is baiting you to change your forecheck so they have an easier entry into your zone that might not be just about puck ragging - it might be a valid offensive strategy per se...

Lol strategy? I’m talking about your opponent has a 3-2 lead in the second skates down into the zone turns around skates right back up into their defensive zone waits around the net for you to chase then rinse and repeat. We got no tools this year to help prevent it.
    Jetset95 wrote: »

Lol strategy? I’m talking about your opponent has a 3-2 lead in the second skates down into the zone turns around skates right back up into their defensive zone waits around the net for you to chase then rinse and repeat. We got no tools this year to help prevent it.

I agree - just wanted to point out that there are options to use a behind your own net setup to spring an attack. Not disagreeing at all man, just want to keep the debate open.
  • You guys aren’t talking about 6v6 are you? Because, like the trap, there are many ways to defeat parking behind the net,when you can talk/or are playing with good people. That is to say, if your teams strong positionally, and understands how to close the gaps, while remaining in the passing lanes as you close in on the guy behind the net things should be fine.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..