EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

PUCK RAGGERS!

Replies

• You guys aren’t talking about 6v6 are you? Because, like the trap, there are many ways to defeat parking behind the net,when you can talk/or are playing with good people. That is to say, if your teams strong positionally, and understands how to close the gaps, while remaining in the passing lanes as you close in on the guy behind the net things should be fine.

All game modes. A team goes up by one goals and makes you chase them around the ice like a an idiot. Call it whatever your want it’s cheap and desperate for a win. We have no tools to defend it this year without getting a penalty. Hitting doesn’t work cause they hold the stick out and bounce of them. If the connection is bad you can’t catch them it’s annoying. Good players and bad players do this and it’s ewsier said than done how to defend against this but be realistic.
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    vmx2014 wrote: »
    Jetset95 wrote: »
    I feel your pain, but would just like to add one point that the behind the net strategy is a valid one both in offensive and defensive zone. One of the strategy settings requires you to set up behind your net and wait for your offensive players to get in position. I'm not suggesting this is only what you see of course, I hate puck raggers as much as you do - I just want to play the game - but if someone is baiting you to change your forecheck so they have an easier entry into your zone that might not be just about puck ragging - it might be a valid offensive strategy per se...

Lol strategy? I’m talking about your opponent has a 3-2 lead in the second skates down into the zone turns around skates right back up into their defensive zone waits around the net for you to chase then rinse and repeat. We got no tools this year to help prevent it.

I agree - just wanted to point out that there are options to use a behind your own net setup to spring an attack. Not disagreeing at all man, just want to keep the debate open.

And I just wanted to point out that it’s annoying and cheap. And if you don’t forcheck they will sit there all game. Desperate.
  • Socair
    1751 posts Game Changer
    edited January 24
    It’s should be a penalty no question. 30 seconds real time to advance the puck out of zone and the timer doesn’t reset until the puck is either turned over or you gain offensive zone entry; that way if you try to go back into the d zone to rag you get the penalty.

Something to that affect anyway. It needs to be penalised and I don’t know what the best way to implement it would be, but I’d love to see it become a delay of game penalty.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Socair wrote: »
    It’s should be a penalty no question. 30 seconds real time to advance the puck out of zone and the timer doesn’t reset until the puck is either turned over or you gain offensive zone entry; that way if you try to go back into the d zone to rag you get the penalty.

Something to that affect anyway. It needs to be penalised and I don’t what the best way to implement it would be, but I’d love to see it become a delay of game penalty.

Not a bad idea actually.
  • vmx2014 wrote: »
    You guys aren’t talking about 6v6 are you? Because, like the trap, there are many ways to defeat parking behind the net,when you can talk/or are playing with good people. That is to say, if your teams strong positionally, and understands how to close the gaps, while remaining in the passing lanes as you close in on the guy behind the net things should be fine.

All game modes. A team goes up by one goals and makes you chase them around the ice like a an idiot. Call it whatever your want it’s cheap and desperate for a win. We have no tools to defend it this year without getting a penalty. Hitting doesn’t work cause they hold the stick out and bounce of them. If the connection is bad you can’t catch them it’s annoying. Good players and bad players do this and it’s ewsier said than done how to defend against this but be realistic.

I hear ya, and agree it’s very annoying. I can only speak to 6’s but what I do is talk to the other forwards and either time our attack simultaneously trapping while using dss to jam up passing. That’s kinda the most fun because one player can sometimes tee up the others hit. Helicoptering someone in this situation is very satisfying. I don’t feel guilty at all for trying to injure their player. If I’m solo it’s pretty much the same deal. Try to get in the way of the better break out options, put your stick towards the boards to impair them wrapping, it’s also good to try to force them to move the puck near their goalie and as you get close, try the bump into stick lift/board pin and hope for the best. It’s got to be brutal in the 1v1 modes
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • vmx2014 wrote: »
    You guys aren’t talking about 6v6 are you? Because, like the trap, there are many ways to defeat parking behind the net,when you can talk/or are playing with good people. That is to say, if your teams strong positionally, and understands how to close the gaps, while remaining in the passing lanes as you close in on the guy behind the net things should be fine.

All game modes. A team goes up by one goals and makes you chase them around the ice like a an idiot. Call it whatever your want it’s cheap and desperate for a win. We have no tools to defend it this year without getting a penalty. Hitting doesn’t workcause they hold the stick out and bounce of them. If the connection is bad you can’t catch them it’s annoying. Good players and bad players do this and it’s ewsier said than done how to defend against this but be realistic.

Hitting on the current tuner, while not as effective as it was in the actual beta, is at a nice place right now.

If we were still on 1.03 what you said might be accurate.
  • LiveDoggy wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Well, if they skate around the net, then they're exposing themselves to getting the puck stripped, which is what we want, no?

There would also be a way to make the rule be a bit more organic in that it could be meant to be if the defending player doesn't move the puck out from behind the net and past his own blue line within a certain amount of time, he gets penalized.

I mean it IS a video game, so the rules can be bent a bit.

Here is how I look at it... While I will NEVER rag a puck in order to run out time to win a game, I will go behind my net and sit there is the opponents defense consists of running back to their blue line to form a wall. For the record, I know NHL has a lot of modes, I am particularly talking about EASHL 3s club.

This. I’m not skating into your wall or forcing the play into your trap if you refuse to forecheck at all. Especially in online vs, where I’ve watched my opponents switch repeatedly to a forechecking CPU in order to pull them back and throw 5 in the neutral zone. I’ll sit behind the net for as long as I want in that case. My team and I won’t do it as much in 3’s since there’s a lot more open ice for us to make a play even if they’re trapping.

I do love the angry messages I get when that happens in vs though. Sorry I’m not going to play right into your hands 🤷🏻‍♂️

@murphwizzle21 -- I hardly ever post on the forums, but reading your comment made me remember the below game between the Lightning and the Flyers from Nov. 9th, 2011.

youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1PrbkK3E

Guess EA Sports' modo "It's in the Game" is right.

*this is just meant for a little comic relief*

Something to that affect anyway. It needs to be penalised and I don’t know what the best way to implement it would be, but I’d love to see it become a delay of game penalty.

Yes.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• Hunter1155 wrote: »
    LiveDoggy wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Well, if they skate around the net, then they're exposing themselves to getting the puck stripped, which is what we want, no?

There would also be a way to make the rule be a bit more organic in that it could be meant to be if the defending player doesn't move the puck out from behind the net and past his own blue line within a certain amount of time, he gets penalized.

I mean it IS a video game, so the rules can be bent a bit.

Here is how I look at it... While I will NEVER rag a puck in order to run out time to win a game, I will go behind my net and sit there is the opponents defense consists of running back to their blue line to form a wall. For the record, I know NHL has a lot of modes, I am particularly talking about EASHL 3s club.

This. I’m not skating into your wall or forcing the play into your trap if you refuse to forecheck at all. Especially in online vs, where I’ve watched my opponents switch repeatedly to a forechecking CPU in order to pull them back and throw 5 in the neutral zone. I’ll sit behind the net for as long as I want in that case. My team and I won’t do it as much in 3’s since there’s a lot more open ice for us to make a play even if they’re trapping.

I do love the angry messages I get when that happens in vs though. Sorry I’m not going to play right into your hands 🤷🏻‍♂️

@murphwizzle21 -- I hardly ever post on the forums, but reading your comment made me remember the below game between the Lightning and the Flyers from Nov. 9th, 2011.

youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1PrbkK3E

Guess EA Sports' modo "It's in the Game" is right.

*this is just meant for a little comic relief*

@Hunter1155 I can’t help myself when I play those kind of people. I’m sure some here have seen the type. They skate down the ice try their corny wrister and when it doesn’t work they go 5 man trap. I know it makes them mad so I have fun with them, then I get the angry messages or some even plug in their mic and start yelling thru my tv lol it’s like a game within the game for me.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited January 25
    Socair wrote: »

I shouldn't be penalized for circling back to my D zone to regroup after some arbitrary timer runs out.
  • I got fed up of a guy in the HUT Champs qualification rounds yesterday - I'd already won the first two against decent opposition so when this guy just started to figure skate around his own zone when he got 1-0 up I just quit and still finished in the top 500 so roll on the weekend.
  • Bring back blowing the tire animation. Not only will it help puck raggers but maybe it will do something for those who skate in the zone backwards while wiggling.

I shouldn't be penalized for circling back to my D zone to regroup after some arbitrary timer runs out.

You shouldn't be able to rag for minutes on end either, yet it is in the game.

That’s not ragging and completely fine as you see that happen multiple times a game.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited January 25
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

That’s not ragging and completely fine as you see that happen multiple times a game.

Yea exactly.
    You shouldn't be able to rag for minutes on end either, yet it is in the game.

Agreed.

Finding that balance is key.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

Yea exactly.

But when you don’t attempt to cross the redline and circle behind your net again and again should result in some form of penalty or consenqunce.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

Yea exactly.

But when you don’t attempt to cross the redline and circle behind your net again and again should result in some form of penalty or consenqunce.

That I can get behind.
  • WainGretSki
    2829 posts Member
    edited January 25

Yea exactly.

Maybe in that situation the AI can go beast mode and attack the ragger after a given time. Once puck is stripped, they go back to their normal mode. But raggers would find ways around it anyways. Either leave and re-enter their zone, pass to a teammate to reset the counter, etc.

What if your stamina goes down faster when you have the puck? Guy wants to rag, he has to pass an awful lot or completely deplete his stamina.

Wouldn't that be a decent solution?

I also don't hate blowing a tire either, but that would be harder to limit to the ragger and implement properly with that much restriction to it.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    587 posts Member
    edited January 25

Yea exactly.

Maybe in that situation the AI can go beast mode and attack the ragger after a given time. Once puck is stripped, they go back to their normal mode. But raggers would find ways around it anyways. Either leave and re-enter their zone, pass to a teammate to reset the counter, etc.

What if your stamina goes down faster when you have the puck? Guy wants to rag, he has to pass an awful lot or completely deplete his stamina.

Wouldn't that be a decent solution?

I also don't hate blowing a tire either, but that would be harder to limit to the ragger and implement properly with that much restriction to it.

That’s sounds good for HUT. But I do encounter raggers in EASHL from time to time. More usually in 3s. So theoretically, if there was a puck ragger in 3s, what would be the solution for that? A penalty?
  • Hmm

Boost of 0-15ft sprint acceleration without the puck by 10-15%

Decide their best breakout options and come from that direction. Stay in the passing lane as you close in. DSs Stick towards the boards to force his escape pass near the goal. Your teammates should be covering the breakout passes possible. They can close in as well, or cover em tight. All depends. As long as people play solid position you can squash it pretty well.

Hope bump and stick lift don’t get nerfed too much. They are the foundation of a good forecheck.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..