EA Forums - Banner

Gameplay Updates Based on Beta Tuner Rollback Feedback

Replies

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

Well, listening to the community is much more than just listening and even implementing. You have to filter that feedback and find ways to get it done. This can be done with tunings, game modes and whatever else you can think of. Just slapping everything together in one mix is not what I consider as "listening to the community". It just adds confusion and no definitive direction.

Couldn't agree more. I think EA has done a good job of listening and making changes that are, for the most part, good for the game. They've communicated more as well. They obviously can't do what everyone wants. That would be a mess and it's a very unrealistic expectation to begin with. Filtering, like you said, is what I think they do already. They have been acting on some of the biggest and most important changes to the game the community has been asking for.
  • No new Brians goalie equipment in the last patch ? Any chance to see it in NHL 19 EA ??? :'(
  • Can you please nerf the sticking just a bit
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    rcompton78 wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    drod1126 wrote: »
    I doubt EA want more simulation and authenticity. That would lead to a niche market. The arcade playability leads to a broader base. Anyone can pick up the game and have fun. That should be the motto. Frankly asking for more tedious board play and dumping and just general team play will alienate casual gamers. No casual gamers = no sales = NO NHL 20.

The question should be what the players want, and not what EA wants. Who is EA making the game for? The game is currently fairly arcade, and it seems many people are not happy with the game. And they've even made more arcade versions of the game, like the threes, all they had to do was tune a few things and it was 'good' to go. But I doubt much people bother with that game mode after the first day or two when initial novelty wore out. Most havent bothered at all, I wager. I doubt that mode has attracted many casuals either?

People want to play ice-hockey like it is in the NHL, period. This game is so far from simulation in its current form that it's not worth even talking about. Think about all the automated features, lack of stick on x collisions, physics etc. And most features feel outdated, even I can see that and I've only played this game seriously on the current gen. I wonder how do the people who played this game since the beginning of this franchise feel about its current form?

I think people want more realistic control over their player, and if this means the game gets more like a simulation, then I am all for it. Casual gamers could have fun even with a more advanced game, if there are other casual gamers to play with, sure. But even with the current form, I very much suspect it takes only a minute to turn them off the game, when they face a player who knows how this game is played and knows how to exploit the game. And are casual gamers really the ones EA needs to attract? I doubt casual gamers are ready to invest real money (or grind the seasons and challenges) in HUT, or participate in EASHL club seasons? This game needs more die-hard EA NHL fans, not casual gamers, I feel. Or maybe my definition of casual gamer is different from yours? Besides, I fear this game is already in the niche, at least in comparison to more popular sports & sports games?

I agree for the most part.

I wouldn't say the game is too simulation, or too arcade, or not enough of either. I think it is the balance between arcade and simulation that doesn't work. Take for example, the LT ballerina skaters. Hard pill to swallow when the skating is aimed more towards a realistic side. Even the best NHL skaters could not pull this off.

Another issue is, every forward wants to dangle and bully his way to the net. He wants to score. Every D man wants to smash forwards into the boards, intercept every pass, and have precise clappers form the blue line. Every goalie wants a shutout. Well, I exaggerate a little, but this is more or less how it is.

So basically, no one will ever be fully happy if everyone gets what they want. It doesn't make sense and is not possible.

I just want snappy and responsive control over my skater, AI goalies to have more logic, less predictable rebounds, and not be able to squirm your way around all over the ice because you can spazz LT.

This series should be aiming primarily at hockey fans and not at gaming fans. The casual gamer is not a long time contributor of this game. Their attention span is much shorter than a true hockey fan. Along those lines, hockey purists want more stats, more player likeness in Franchise modes.

There is a user here that every single year makes the same posts. He will post dozens of pictures that show jersey errors. IMO, the jerseys he points out are at least 95% accurate, but he sees those errors. He can even say that it isn't exactly the right shade of orange... I am not putting him down or making fun of him, but rather, I am showing the level of detail he expects. That isn't a casual gamer. He is obviously a hockey purist. This just shows the level of diversity each customer expects of this franchise.

100% Agree. Well said. A game for hockey fans before gamers is what is needed. As you said I have my doubts true gamers would ever latch on to a niche sports game even with e-sports. Too many other big titles out there.

This is basically impossible though. There's way too diverse a community. Besides, we had people this year saying that EA needed to stop listening to the community. You can't have the game you want without listening to the community. It's pretty obvious they have been doing that, but they aren't going to get everything in that everyone wants.

Agreed I just think think they are concentrating on making a game to attract gamers and casuals. You will never please everyone but a niche sport sim like hockey I think you please more people if you try attract hockey fans. But what do I know.
  • CrAlex30
    2 posts New member
    Hi, maybe someone here could help me out with this one: I just downloaded the newest NHL 19 update (1.60), but unfortunately I can only see & use the updated uniforms (Stadium Series, Maple Leafs & Lightning Alternate) in the NHL Threes mode. I can not use them in every other mode like Play Now or Season. How can I fix it? Thank you!
  • CrAlex30 wrote: »
    Hi, maybe someone here could help me out with this one: I just downloaded the newest NHL 19 update (1.60), but unfortunately I can only see & use the updated uniforms (Stadium Series, Maple Leafs & Lightning Alternate) in the NHL Threes mode. I can not use them in every other mode like Play Now or Season. How can I fix it? Thank you!

Did you download the latest roster and make it active?
  • CrAlex30
    2 posts New member
    > @MizzouRah1971 said:
    > CrAlex30 wrote: »
    >
    > Hi, maybe someone here could help me out with this one: I just downloaded the newest NHL 19 update (1.60), but unfortunately I can only see & use the updated uniforms (Stadium Series, Maple Leafs & Lightning Alternate) in the NHL Threes mode. I can not use them in every other mode like Play Now or Season. How can I fix it? Thank you!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Did you download the latest roster and make it active?

Yes, I did! But uniforms still don't appear... :(
  • When the devs try to please everyone they fail. That holds true when you aren't playing games too. In life there is no such thing as pleasing everyone. When you do that you fail.
  • Has there been some tuning to one timers from cross ice passes in a recent update? They just don't seem to release anymore without a massive delay.
    AI goalies had good enough sideways movement to stop most of them as it was, they seem to now just let most goals in through the middle. :/
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    lemming3k wrote: »
    Has there been some tuning to one timers from cross ice passes in a recent update? They just don't seem to release anymore without a massive delay.
    AI goalies had good enough sideways movement to stop most of them as it was, they seem to now just let most goals in through the middle. :/
    No, there hasn't been any recent tuning.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Has there been some tuning to one timers from cross ice passes in a recent update? They just don't seem to release anymore without a massive delay.

Did you guys give up on the game already and sell it to a company that cares?
  • NHLDev wrote: »

Did you guys give up on the game already and sell it to a company that cares?

Nope you didn't damn, another disappointing EA made hockey game coming down the tubes in NHL 20