EA Forums - Banner

Gameplay Updates Based on Beta Tuner Rollback Feedback

Replies

• Follisimo wrote: »
    And of course game speed is still terrible and overlooked as always because you gotta give bad players more time to react.

I agree with this. I recently reverted back to tuner 1.00 and thought it was up slow so I bumped up the game speed to 4 out of 6 clicks and that's a happy medium in my mind.

@NHLDev is this something you'd consider down the road.

McDavid finished the speed skating content around 13.5 seconds.

Took McDavid with some friends and we used a stopwatch to skate the path and best we came up with was 15.3 seconds.

Now that difference is very big in real life. Obviously EA needs to fix their game speed.

• NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Follisimo wrote: »

Took McDavid with some friends and we used a stopwatch to skate the path and best we came up with was 15.3 seconds.

Now that difference is very big in real life. Obviously EA needs to fix their game speed.

That’s great that you and your friends are trying this stuff and looking for that level of authenticity as I am often looking at those types of things when doing checks and balances as well.

How did you do your testing. Practice mode? And with or without puck?

Also, how did you account for making the path the same with the net and goalie there?

I just did a quick lap with him to check myself using Competitive game style to see and got 14.8 when skating with the puck, which would make him a bit slower any time he isn’t pushing the puck ahead (so through turns etc) and also had to skate full around the nets and goalie, thus taking a wider radius/longer route through the corners than the NHL players did during the competition. I also don’t think my lap was as efficient as it possibly could be but only tried once.

I also timed some individual things and we are faster in the first couple strides (Center to first blue) by a couple tenths of a second, which is as expected as compared to full sim our acceleration is a bit up on competitive game style. And the game remains faster than his real world time to a similar spot at first corner entry, again staying ahead by those couple tenths of a second.

So that is part of what shows me as expected that the turns are where he slows down both due to the wider arc and also the skating hit when stickhandling a puck. The far blue to blue in my personal lap was a tenth slower and about half a stride longer when looking at an approximation on individual stride count but that could have been due to lower exit velocity out of the first corner due to what I mentioned above. When I tried that by not factoring in the corner, it was pretty spot on.

Anyways, curious to hear how you were tracking yours as well and if you did any other tests that could be cool to check out.
  • NHLDev
    NHLDev wrote: »

That’s great that you and your friends are trying this stuff and looking for that level of authenticity as I am often looking at those types of things when doing checks and balances as well.

Also, how did you account for making the path the same with the net and goalie there?

I just did a quick lap with him to check myself using Competitive game style to see and got 14.8 when skating with the puck, which would make him a bit slower any time he isn’t pushing the puck ahead (so through turns etc) and also had to skate full around the nets and goalie, thus taking a wider radius/longer route through the corners than the NHL players did during the competition. I also don’t think my lap was as efficient as it possibly could be but only tried once.

I also timed some individual things and we are faster in the first couple strides (Center to first blue) by a couple tenths of a second, which is as expected as compared to full sim our acceleration is a bit up on competitive game style. And the game remains faster than his real world time to a similar spot at first corner entry, again staying ahead by those couple tenths of a second.

So that is part of what shows me as expected that the turns are where he slows down both due to the wider arc and also the skating hit when stickhandling a puck. The far blue to blue in my personal lap was a tenth slower and about half a stride longer when looking at an approximation on individual stride count but that could have been due to lower exit velocity out of the first corner due to what I mentioned above. When I tried that by not factoring in the corner, it was pretty spot on.

Anyways, curious to hear how you were tracking yours as well and if you did any other tests that could be cool to check out.

Just tried again and actually got a better time of 14.43 despite changing the game style to Full Sim as I was curious. Definitely took a better line this time on a second try — not sure I could get anything much smoother — but obviously still had to take a wider radius than they do without the net there and was still carrying the puck for this test.

I did one last one where I tried to take a similar distance path by cutting one side short going around the hash marks at one end and still fully around the net at the other to simulate the distance cut off by cutting through the creases and got 13.1 but that distance wasn’t scientific and I was still carrying the puck.

Either way, good fun.
  • Follisimo
    1071 posts Member
    edited January 2019

Versus game against a friend.
    Both goalie pulled
    He carried the puck while I skated around
    We did about 15 laps til we had a fast one that was near flawless. We made sure lines were full on energy each time.

I pretty much tried to follow the exact movement and lanes he did to get the results. But yes this type of stuff interests me to see how close your game has it right on skating. I've said before I feel the game is a tiny bit slow and maybe I'm right.

Kind of wish they would have had the backskating part they once used in the all-star speed competition cause that would be interesting to see also.

• NHLDev wrote: »

Just tried again and actually got a better time of 14.43 despite changing the game style to Full Sim as I was curious. Definitely took a better line this time on a second try — not sure I could get anything much smoother — but obviously still had to take a wider radius than they do without the net there and was still carrying the puck for this test.

I did one last one where I tried to take a similar distance path by cutting one side short going around the hash marks at one end and still fully around the net at the other to simulate the distance cut off by cutting through the creases and got 13.1 but that distance wasn’t scientific and I was still carrying the puck.

Either way, good fun.

Here's a great video on Barzal's skating that I think really sums up how crossovers can generate a lot of speed if enough are done flying through the open ice. Being caught on the backfoot has got to be a treat for D-Men in the NHL.
  • NHLDev
    edited January 2019
    Versus game against a friend.
    Both goalie pulled
    He carried the puck while I skated around
    We did about 15 laps til we had a fast one that was near flawless. We made sure lines were full on energy each time.

I pretty much tried to follow the exact movement and lanes he did to get the results. But yes this type of stuff interests me to see how close your game has it right on skating. I've said before I feel the game is a tiny bit slow and maybe I'm right.

Kind of wish they would have had the backskating part they once used in the all-star speed competition cause that would be interesting to see also.

Interesting yours was slower then since I was able to get a better time taking a longer path and with the puck. Must have been something up in the execution of it.

That said though. I’m even surprised you could find the path at all with 12 players out there, so good job even getting close with all the bodies out there.
  • EA_Cian
    253 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Folks I've removed some derailing comments where people were just starting to behave childishly and getting into name calling + insults as well as a couple of comments that stemmed from that.
  • NHLDev
    l
    Here's a great video on Barzal's skating that I think really sums up how crossovers can generate a lot of speed if enough are done flying through the open ice. Being caught on the backfoot has got to be a treat for D-Men in the NHL.
    He’s an incredible skater. That is how the motion model in the game works as well. If you are increasing your radius, you are building speed and can really accelerate out of a turn as you head up ice.
    l
    He’s an incredible skater. That is how the motion model in the game works as well. If you are increasing your radius, you are building speed and can really accelerate out of a turn as you head up ice.

Nice. I'll have to mess around with it more and perfect it. I got this other video I was watching today on sportsnet https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-technological-forefront-new-tracking-tools/

It got me wondering if you guys would consider using this sort of data in future projects?
  • I like that sticks can and do break! :/
    Small small price to pay for these fixes, rollbacks, and ability to knock players off the puck. The week of the rollback has been the NHL that I've always wanted. I can not say thank you enough.
  • @NHLDev, i know this doesnt belong in this topic, but is there any possibility to add the feature created plays like it was on 360, cause everyone would have his own gamestyle and it would be more interesting and competitively.
  • @NHLDev did you use full sim, game speed 3/6 to get those speed times? I'd like to mimic.
  • Hold on, and I’m asking because after a nasty EQ bender I took the 360 generation off of gaming. Anywho...!

So your telling me:

-you could create custom plays for compy to add to its lexicon.

-there were more camera options including a custom one(was this cool, like very customizable with the option to set a zoom state as well?)

-you could create you own toon based on points spent from a “talent pool”

-stick handling was more organic instead of one touch dekes(which as a forward I find awkward and odd, but that might just be me)

-am I missing anything?
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • just wondering has the new tuner been released????
  • the game still feels like the beta, im hoping the updates have not gone through yet cause this current tuner is doggy poop.
  • Socair
    2700 posts Game Changer
    just wondering has the new tuner been released????
    No. We are still on the beta tuner. There was an issue apparently and they’ve had to hold off releasing the next tuner.
    You will see an in game prompt when the tuner changes.
  • NHLDev
    jatt96306 wrote: »
    @NHLDev did you use full sim, game speed 3/6 to get those speed times? I'd like to mimic.

Yes it was the core default Full Sim preset.
  • Kriptical476
    377 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    jatt96306 wrote: »
    @NHLDev did you use full sim, game speed 3/6 to get those speed times? I'd like to mimic.

Yes it was the core default Full Sim preset.

Cool that you guys are hitting pretty close in a test like this. Also let’s me know to nag you about specific quickness, speed traits specifically rather than as a more global issue 😉
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..

Either way, good fun.

Someone do the EASHL builds instead of the fastest player in the league/game to show what a difference were having to play with
  • RSall14
    600 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Not sure if there's a slider for Attribute Effectiveness but it should be brought up if there is. This way we can actually see large differences between classes and personal builds.