EA Forums - Banner

Gameplay Updates Based on Beta Tuner Rollback Feedback

Replies

• NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    I am a VS/HUT only player. I am not a fan of the new tuner.

I thought the beta rollback tuner was perfect and I was finally enjoying the game again.

It's back to stick-curl wiggle-bubbling, and one man show hockey. It's still a little better than 1.03, but it's much closer to that than the experimental tuner.

I had my fun for a week, but it's time for me to step away from this series. I just don't enjoy this style and we always seem to end up back here.

GG all.
    It’s really interesting to hear that as the physics/collision tuning is exactly the same as the rollback tuner.

If you liked the rollback tuner that much, I would give this a larger sample size of games before making that final assessment.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

I thought the beta rollback tuner was perfect and I was finally enjoying the game again.

It's back to stick-curl wiggle-bubbling, and one man show hockey. It's still a little better than 1.03, but it's much closer to that than the experimental tuner.

I had my fun for a week, but it's time for me to step away from this series. I just don't enjoy this style and we always seem to end up back here.

GG all.
    It’s really interesting to hear that as the physics/collision tuning is exactly the same as the rollback tuner.

If you liked the rollback tuner that much, I would give this a larger sample size of games before making that final assessment.

Ill play a few more games yet today, but Im a pretty highly ranked player so every game I play is going to be against bubble-wiggle masters (And Im not too shabby at it myself :) )

It feels too much like 1.03 again. I just shut off my console in disgust halfway through the last game (And I NEVER, EVER quit games). He curled his stick and bubble-wiggled through a crowd of 3 defenders, lost the puck and regained it about 4 separate times in the span of about 2 seconds (incidental contact), and then short-side sniped it after bubble-sliding through the crowd like a greased pig. The whole sequence was nauseating.

And its felt like that for much of the 7 games Ive played since the new tuner. Eerie similar to 1.03. Its a little better than that was, but man.. you had the game absolutely perfect for the last week. At least in my opinion, which I concede doesn't count for much.

Im over the bubble-wiggle gameplay style, and I just don't enjoy it.
    “If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe.” - Nikola Tesla

• Oh dear. I'm not going to like this new tuner tonight, huh?
  • Thank you EA.

This experiment, NHL_DEv's involvement, the surveys... I don't think anyone can claim EA 'isn't listening' anymore. This was a big deal for this community and the importance of this should not go understated.

Everyone jumped on the same page and came together to improve the hockey game we all love, hate and love to hate.

Can't wait to play with the new tuner.

Too bad @NHLDev wasn't employeed here going back to the ps3 days, we probably wouldn't be in the situation we have been in. For once, I'm actually pumped to see how the gameplay is. I haven't played competitively online since American Thanksgiving. Hoping to not be disappointed.
  • NHLDev
    NHLDev wrote: »

GG all.

Ill play a few more games yet today, but Im a pretty highly ranked player so every game I play is going to be against bubble-wiggle masters (And Im not too shabby at it myself :) )

It feels too much like 1.03 again. I just shut off my console in disgust halfway through the last game (And I NEVER, EVER quit games). He curled his stick and bubble-wiggled through a crowd of 3 defenders, lost the puck and regained it about 4 separate times in the span of about 2 seconds (incidental contact), and then short-side sniped it after bubble-sliding through the crowd like a greased pig. The whole sequence was nauseating.

And its felt like that for much of the 7 games Ive played since the new tuner. Eerie similar to 1.03. Its a little better than that was, but man.. you had the game absolutely perfect for the last week. At least in my opinion, which I concede doesn't count for much.

It’s funny for me to read this. It’s the exact same settings.

If people aren’t happy when they get exactly what they vote for it shows we really can’t win and that mind state will always rule over reality.

Just look at all comments we got on Friday about how the tuner was better and worse before people realized it didn’t actually get rolled out as planned.

All I can say is if you liked the Beta rollback, especially due to the physics changes, you should be just as happy with this tuner. Obviously it’s your choice in the end but wanted to make sure you didn’t let any bias get into the way too early as we want everyone having a good time.
  • All week I've been watching some of the elite LT bruh streamers and hearing how much they hated the beta tuner ,but today they were so happy that they can do all thier glitch goals same short side wristers and of course twirl and twirl in the corner and LT without losing the puck after getting checked but hey all of this cheesey crap creates a skill Gap again this game has reverted to garbage
  • I am a VS/HUT only player. I am not a fan of the new tuner.

GG all.

After one day of the tuner? Cmon man
  • I would say that the games are a lottery, at best. I have been playing the beta-tuner and now the one released today - and I have to admit that you have the heart on the right place EA. You are trying to listen to the Community, but I’m heartbroken to say that the game is more broken than ever with the tuner that was released today.

I thought it couldn’t get any worse from the beta tuner, but I stand corrected. The spam sticklift is abused more than ever, the puck is bouncing all over the place, you can’t bump the players any more, puck pickups are just horrible, the goalies are worse than ever, 2-3 own goals per game is not unusual, the better player is really not rewarded atm... The list goes on.

I didn’t think I would say this, but please make the game as it was before the beta tuner. Just let this game be as it was, and start to rebuild nhl 20 from scratch instead. This game is beyond rescue, at least before the beta tuner the better player won the games. Now it’s, in loss of better words, a lottery.
  • Just go back to 1.00, this is just garbage. Everything that was good about the game and beta tuner is gone again.

It's literally just the original 1.03 but sticklifts aren't an automatic penalty like 1.03.

All you had to do from 1.0 was improve the difference in skatimg between small and big players.

Improve puck pickups and add the improved stamina system.

Everything else you changed is awful and was unnecessary.

• I didn’t think I would say this, but please make the game as it was before the beta tuner. Just let this game be as it was, and start to rebuild nhl 20 from scratch instead. This game is beyond rescue, at least before the beta tuner the better player won the games. Now it’s, in loss of better words, a lottery.

Are you kidding me? Before the roll back it was the better ragger and cheeser who won, certainly not the best player.
  • I am loving this tuner, played a lot of EASHL tonight as a 6'3 OD and had a blast. I was laying yuge checks on raggers and felt defense was actually fun.

Will give EA props on this tuner, it's really good. Some weird short side goals going in though but besides that I love the game right now.

Thanks EA. :D
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Yeah well, the short-side bug wrister is back big time... why EA, why? :s

The play doesn't otherwise seem all that different really, you can't spam stick-lift anymore, and have to be more careful with it. That's about it. Connections have been mostly a little laggy, so it's hard to say anything more than that.

Nothing was tuned back in that would impact how goalies challenge the puck carrier compared to the previous rollback tuner.

Be that as it may, but during the beta rollback I saw only one goal that might have been described as that bug-wrister. And today alone we were lit up three times in a single game, because our left d-man didn't block the shot lane. He had gotten used to not having to do that, you see?

For what it's worth, I scored that goal multiple times in club during the rollback as a grinder. It's a lot harder to get that shot now, which was the problem before.

I'm looking forward to trying the new tuner though

GG all.

If people aren’t happy when they get exactly what they vote for it shows we really can’t win and that mind state will always rule over reality.

Just look at all comments we got on Friday about how the tuner was better and worse before people realized it didn’t actually get rolled out as planned.

All I can say is if you liked the Beta rollback, especially due to the physics changes, you should be just as happy with this tuner. Obviously it’s your choice in the end but wanted to make sure you didn’t let any bias get into the way too early as we want everyone having a good time.

Well, Im glad you got a good laugh. At least someone is having fun.

You ask for feedback, and then laugh it off when you get it. Thats ok.. I mean, I don't care either way. Just seems counterproductive. I even said right up front that I understand that my opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things. You can do with it what you want. In this cause, laugh at it I suppose.

Something is still "off". I believe it is in the movement/animations/skating. It feels like swivel top hockey with strange bubbles/forcefields intertwined.

I thought the last tuner (the experimental one) was the closest we've been to perfection yet. Whatever it is in this one, it just doesn't feel or play the same. That doesn't mean I dont appreciate the effort.

I just felt like the experimental tuner was much better. That's *MY* personal feedback. I'll state once again that I understand that my opinion means nothing.

Funny, no doubt! :D

“If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe.” - Nikola Tesla

• Me on a div 1 club 6v6 -
    It seems to be harder to knock players off the puck again while playing with the new tuner. Hitting at a slower speed is almost gone. It seems to rub against a puck carrier, rather than result in a collision of some sort. A 5'7" 165lb player skating full out, no puck protection and that's getting clipped (from the side or front) by a 6'2" 242lb defenceman "at any speed" should be some sort of collision, not a rub. I read the update after I had played today and noticed it bigtime. Half the time you line up a player for a good hit, it becomes a charging penalty. Poke checking seems delayed and stick also seems to be extended for too long. DSS seems fine. Hitting almost always follows the puck and not the body. Also would be nice to be able to adjust hitting assistance like we can with passing assistance.
    I'm seeing and completing dekes that you would see once a year a few times a year in an NHL game happen 5-10 times a game without being knocked off the puck. And that with players right on top of, or almost inside of said deker. Players are skating through crowds of sticks and legs with little or no loss of the puck. Again, I read the update after I played. Anyone should lose puck control if their stick makes contact with other sticks or body parts, whether it be momentary or full loss. Puck loss does happen, but much less since update. It seems catered towards the one man show style of play. Deke until you draw a penalty is tge style. It happens especially against AI d-men. They just back up into their own goalie and set the screen for the high blocker wristshot that goes in 75% of the time.
    I'll adapt to the gameplay on the tuner. But wow, you usually dont see players hold pucks for more than 3seconds in NHL gameplay. It's usually quick passes and team utilization that win games, not one player deking and drawing penalties from AI or human players. I play fwd too, and I feel much more of an advantage everytime I played at fwd today. That being in puck control at most. I play with bigger builds and even being slower I can protect the puck even better than before. My linemates are smaller and skate circles around the offensive zone most times and almost never get tied up around the net because of their speed.
    Again, I read all the updates after we had played today. The new tuner has definitely changed the game play to a more offensive, one man show friendly style imo.
  • NHLDev

GG all.

You ask for feedback, and then laugh it off when you get it. Thats ok.. I mean, I don't care either way. Just seems counterproductive. I even said right up front that I understand that my opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things. You can do with it what you want. In this cause, laugh at it I suppose.

Something is still "off". I believe it is in the movement/animations/skating. It feels like swivel top hockey with strange bubbles/forcefields intertwined.

I thought the last tuner (the experimental one) was the closest we've been to perfection yet. Whatever it is in this one, it just doesn't feel or play the same. That doesn't mean I dont appreciate the effort.

I just felt like the experimental tuner was much better. That's *MY* personal feedback. I'll state once again that I understand that my opinion means nothing.

That’s the piece you are missing. There is literally not one line in the tuner I could change to make it closer to what you played over the past week in those areas. If there was, I could see eye to eye with you and say sure it’s a subjective choice but when it is literally the same, I am not sure what to do or say with that feedback other than what I have.
  • sorry, but this was a massive step backwards again...the game speed feels slower, not sure if that has to do with a bump to agility or something? the bumps being gone once again lead to my guy "whiffing" on pretty clear hits as soon as the forward initiated the left trigger to skate backwards.

all of this is from 6s. just really not impressed, looks like I'll be going back to putting this game on the shelf.
  • NHLDev
    sorry, but this was a massive step backwards again...the game speed feels slower, not sure if that has to do with a bump to agility or something? the bumps being gone once again lead to my guy "whiffing" on pretty clear hits as soon as the forward initiated the left trigger to skate backwards.

all of this is from 6s. just really not impressed, looks like I'll be going back to putting this game on the shelf.

No changes to skating or hitting in this tuner. Not sure if you saw the notes but it listed the changes.

Sorry to see you are hanging them up.

GG all.

That’s the piece you are missing. There is literally not one line in the tuner I could change to make it closer to what you played over the past week in those areas. If there was, I could see eye to eye with you and say sure it’s a subjective choice but when it is literally the same, I am not sure what to do or say with that feedback other than what I have.

I guess we're all just "imagining" it then. ;)

Anyways, good luck with everything.

Namaste

• I don't know. EA says nothing with the hitting has been touched but slow hitting plays that result in nothing seem to be back again. A lot less incidental contact leading to loss of puck and puck battles. Ragging is on the rise again. As a PMD, I was able to corner rag myself a few times for a few cross ice pass goals. Far less shoves working against players dilly-dallying in the zone.

The biggest difference I've seen is that this tuner does feel slight more 1.03-ish to me, defensively and offensively. Whereas I saw more of this with the old tuner..

cskykTc.gif

1To6qNH.gif

HaVad6F.gif

Now, in the five games I've played so far, one man shows are a thing again.
  • The mass confusion and agreement/disagreement of what the tuner is actually doing and whether it's good or not just proves that the major flaws of this game are at the core of the mechanics, and there's nothing a tuner update can do to make the majority of the people happy.