EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

it's happening. .again. ..

Prev1
I had a great run going from previous xmas... earned Sakic, got Clarke, my team OA, was doing great. .

Went from division 8 all the way to 2p from division 5 and lost a tight game...
Now the floor has fallen out underneath me.

I am losing most games and can barely get a tight win here and there. Every game is a grind.

My team of legends and top players are get out skated and chased down by gold rare teams with average goalies.

My players no longer back check and are always out of position in the defensive zone, my forwards can't pass accurately, shoot accurately, flub shots in the crease.

???? This happens every year and theres nothing but psycho babble excuses from EA about coping skills when playing better players.

I get it, the competition has increased, but why has the skill level of my team decreased?

There are predetermined a.i. skill leveling modifiers in this game.
Hot, cold streaks for teams and plyers ARE STILL IN THIS GAME!!

Replies

• Did your struggles start when the beta tuner came out? If so, you need to adjust your play accordingly. The game plays very differently with the beta tuner than it did with the trash 1.03 tuner.
  • NYR_Nick wrote: »
    I had a great run going from previous xmas... earned Sakic, got Clarke, my team OA, was doing great. .

I am losing most games and can barely get a tight win here and there. Every game is a grind.

My team of legends and top players are get out skated and chased down by gold rare teams with average goalies.

My players no longer back check and are always out of position in the defensive zone, my forwards can't pass accurately, shoot accurately, flub shots in the crease.

???? This happens every year and theres nothing but psycho babble excuses from EA about coping skills when playing better players.

I get it, the competition has increased, but why has the skill level of my team decreased?

I think it's you being fatigued and not playing as consistent. I love when people say their 92 overall teams cant compete with 85 teams. I'm a free to play player and feel my team is out matched against teams of 92s if me and the opposing player are similarly skilled.

I've also handed a lot of 92 rated teams beatings because they play sloppy, only straight line looking for 1ts and slot corner cheese. It all depends on the person holding the controller. There is no predeternined outcome.
  • If anything my play improved with the dedicated servers and beta rolllback.

I never said the outcome was predetermined. No offense, but many people on this forum font read carefully before they respond.

I wrote my team not performing and get out classed....

Maybe fatigue is an issue. I can't underestimate the level of focus that's required
    If anything my play improved with the dedicated servers and beta rolllback.

I never said the outcome was predetermined. No offense, but many people on this forum font read carefully before they respond.

Maybe fatigue is an issue. I can't underestimate the level of focus that's required

I dont take offense. You literally said ai skill levels are predetermined which would ultimately affect the outcome of the game, no?

Take a break when it feels like that.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    NYR_Nick wrote: »
    If anything my play improved with the dedicated servers and beta rolllback.

I dont take offense. You literally said ai skill levels are predetermined which would ultimately affect the outcome of the game, no?

Take a break when it feels like that.

A handicap is just that.... it can affect the outcome. Predetermined is incorrect.

I do think I need to not push multiple games though.
  • Well my break finished and lo and behold (of course) people are still complaining that they are losing games because EA, their PS4/Xbox - should we add in God also (or the Devil perhaps?) - is affecting the outcome.

Of course, can I check? You are playing the same game, against the same player, on the same day, on the same connection, and make the same actions every game that you lose like this aren't you...? Because if you're not, there is no way you can suggest that 'predetermined A.I. skill levelling modifiers' are the only things which could impact the negative results you are experiencing.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that people who complain they can't outrun 'slower' defenders don't know that players fatigue, or they don't change lines effectively, or they aren't aware that if you press down on L3 you get the speed burst which means your 99 speed and 99 acceleration really kick in... I'm lucky to have played the game almost daily since September 14th and my 95, 94, 93, 92 rated players get to the puck just fine, more often than not, but they don't always win it or get into that perfect shooting position because the opposition impact the game more than EA does.

I'm convinced that something in the beta tuner means that passing and puck pickup is not the same as in 1.3 tuner based on my own experience. Nothing else has changed (only the tuner) but passes are not as accurate as they were in 1.3 and are not collected as cleanly either. I hope this reverts back when the new hybrid tuner is released - fingers crossed tomorrow.

Your players no longer back check: Either you are not bringing them back if you control that player, or your AI strategies are set so they don't pull back as fast or as far. Since the beta the AI has become more aggressive, not less, so this doesn't make any sense, sorry. Could you explain further what you mean / see here?

The one obvious thing that may impact your experience is the division you are in. It's not been proven that I know of, but my experience was once I got to Division 5 I started to face players from much higher divisions. I went from Division 10 to Division 5 winning the title each time but since then I've just managed to maintain my division three times - taking two attempt to go from D5 to D4, then D4 to D3, and now hopefully my second attempt in D3 to get to D2.

My team isn't worse because I'm in a higher division - the opposition teams are what they are, the players controlling them are much better though. If you have a bronze team against an 85 Gold Rare team good luck - you might win if you're an elite player (as SuperVirta showed on Twitch when he did just that) but most of us won't. If you have a 85 Gold Rare team against my 91 Legends you'll have a better than average chance to beat me, because I would say I'm not in the top half of the NHL community in skill. My team at this level means I can compete, but against Div 1 players I lose more than I win - no matter who is in their team.

It's not EA. It's not a handicap. It's not A.I. modifiers affecting me in the same game but not my opponent. It may be the connection is slower for you than him. It may be your controller doesn't allow you to do what he can do (extra buttons?), or your control scheme (skill stick vs hybrid). It could be your hands and brain and fast twitch muscle fibres are not warmed up as much as your opponents, or in my case just don't work as fast as they used to. Any number of reasons why I lost an overtime game to a D1 player yesterday when I was 2-0 up in the 3rd. I'm not looking for the X-file though, sorry.
  • I think its because of the beta rollback that you have a bad streak. The play is different and you may not adapted to the gameplay like me.
    Like flyextacy said, my team of 85 is outskated by 92, out possess also, even though I got there before him and he still get puck before me.
    I also think that some days, the server is too overloaded and the gameplay is slower.

sorry but i'm just the opposite. ever since i earned Clarke i've been on a tear, up to D6 from D8. i've been having trouble getting into D5 but i'm even winning games in Comp Seasons, which are my 1st CS wins that were not DISC.

my lineup skates 10 Legends, 2 Xmas, 1 ToW and a few upgraded Alumni. the real boost came after the Xmas gifts came and i picked International 86 Price and put him in net. i had another International goalie from Team GB with the same synergies (2TB, 2BR) and once i played them together i'm holding most teams to 3 or 4 goals.

i don't have much success with finesse so i play TB, BE, HT, NP, PP & CS with a dump and chase O and a collapsing D. my hitting numbers have been off recently and i lost that stat in most games this weekend but still winning net battles and getting 2nd chance goals and deflections on shots from the point.

i have 3 different types of FWD lines and set a strategy to meet their synergies. my Blueliners are all Dmen (no FWDs except the PP) with the all 3 line playing the same strategy and i don't play 2 O focused Ds together. i do my best to change strategies on the fly but the game is not kind to in game adjustments. i also do my best with to meet the correct assignment with the the player i'm controlling. if i'm playing a Dman i don't chase out to the blueline and stay in position, if i'm a FWD i don't go behind the net and try to skate to an open spot for a breakway if my AI teammates force a TO.

i have noticed a ton of freezes and speed ups playing Comp Seasons but not as much in Online Seasons. i've also been having issues with controller delays and trouble with passing and player switching in Comp Seasons that i don't seem to have in Online. i play plugged in, no Wifi or Buletooth.

apparently the other stuff i'm seeing is based on the recent tuner switches like the broken sticks and strange AI goalie decisions to come out and play the puck.
  • NYR_Nick
    117 posts Member
    edited January 30
    Jetset95 wrote: »
    Well my break finished and lo and behold (of course) people are still complaining that they are losing games because EA, their PS4/Xbox - should we add in God also (or the Devil perhaps?) - is affecting the outcome.

Of course, can I check? You are playing the same game, against the same player, on the same day, on the same connection, and make the same actions every game that you lose like this aren't you...? Because if you're not, there is no way you can suggest that 'predetermined A.I. skill levelling modifiers' are the only things which could impact the negative results you are experiencing.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that people who complain they can't outrun 'slower' defenders don't know that players fatigue, or they don't change lines effectively, or they aren't aware that if you press down on L3 you get the speed burst which means your 99 speed and 99 acceleration really kick in... I'm lucky to have played the game almost daily since September 14th and my 95, 94, 93, 92 rated players get to the puck just fine, more often than not, but they don't always win it or get into that perfect shooting position because the opposition impact the game more than EA does.

I'm convinced that something in the beta tuner means that passing and puck pickup is not the same as in 1.3 tuner based on my own experience. Nothing else has changed (only the tuner) but passes are not as accurate as they were in 1.3 and are not collected as cleanly either. I hope this reverts back when the new hybrid tuner is released - fingers crossed tomorrow.

Your players no longer back check: Either you are not bringing them back if you control that player, or your AI strategies are set so they don't pull back as fast or as far. Since the beta the AI has become more aggressive, not less, so this doesn't make any sense, sorry. Could you explain further what you mean / see here?

The one obvious thing that may impact your experience is the division you are in. It's not been proven that I know of, but my experience was once I got to Division 5 I started to face players from much higher divisions. I went from Division 10 to Division 5 winning the title each time but since then I've just managed to maintain my division three times - taking two attempt to go from D5 to D4, then D4 to D3, and now hopefully my second attempt in D3 to get to D2.

My team isn't worse because I'm in a higher division - the opposition teams are what they are, the players controlling them are much better though. If you have a bronze team against an 85 Gold Rare team good luck - you might win if you're an elite player (as SuperVirta showed on Twitch when he did just that) but most of us won't. If you have a 85 Gold Rare team against my 91 Legends you'll have a better than average chance to beat me, because I would say I'm not in the top half of the NHL community in skill. My team at this level means I can compete, but against Div 1 players I lose more than I win - no matter who is in their team.

It's not EA. It's not a handicap. It's not A.I. modifiers affecting me in the same game but not my opponent. It may be the connection is slower for you than him. It may be your controller doesn't allow you to do what he can do (extra buttons?), or your control scheme (skill stick vs hybrid). It could be your hands and brain and fast twitch muscle fibres are not warmed up as much as your opponents, or in my case just don't work as fast as they used to. Any number of reasons why I lost an overtime game to a D1 player yesterday when I was 2-0 up in the 3rd. I'm not looking for the X-file though, sorry.

I've been playing this game online since day one, this cap happens every year, it's the same old tired excuses for people just like you.

You want to believe every games outcome is all skill because you have a vendetta against people who spend money on packs

Gold junk players can out skate, out hustle 99 rated skaters!! These teams beating me are throwing the puck on the net. There should nothing more than a skill level modifier at work
  • TreborMalkin
    272 posts Member
    edited January 30
    I posted this pic in another thread nick. 84 base price in net for them I’m 94 overall. Only 2 legends for him. 88 was his highest card redden geoffrion was his other legend. A miraculous 50 save night from price. 4auwdbedy37y.jpeg
  • I posted this pic in another thread nick. 84 base price in net for them I’m 94 overall. Only 2 legends for him. 88 was his highest card redden geoffrion was his other legend. A miraculous 50 save night from price. 4auwdbedy37y.jpeg

Heyman man, what's your line up look like?
  • I don’t have 1 base card I have 7 synergies unlocked.

L1 91 gartner 88 malkin (tg) 92 scheifele evo
    L2 92 modano 94 Sakic 85 Gilmore
    L3 86 Kaliyev 94 Makita 88 Hull
    L4 86 Hoffman 85 Gretzky 87 backstrom
    D1 91 mcinnis 85 gross
    D2 91 Webber 89 chabot
    D3 85 Riley 86 Ristolainen

G1 89 Gibson G2 88 Luongo

Peterson gold coach

PP, S, FM, CS, BM, CP, BU synergies active.
  • I got to D2 last night won D3 can’t beat a base team. Or goalie. Lol
  • I gobsqcax670xcs.jpg

I got lucky in this game they had all base except redden and bower in goal. Webber scores on a blast from the point that was stopped then bower flailed to put it in.
  • In the allstar season in round 2 I’m averaging 38.6 shots per game and 3.86 goals. Opponents 15.4 shots 2.57 goals. Maybe I’m just that bad. I’m 4-2-1
    I've been playing this game online since day one, this cap happens every year, it's the same old tired excuses for people just like you.

You want to believe every games outcome is all skill because you have a vendetta against people who spend money on packs

Gold junk players can out skate, out hustle 99 rated skaters!! These teams beating me are throwing the puck on the net. There should nothing more than a skill level modifier at work

Nick I'm sorry you think I have a vendetta against anyone. I don't care how you built your team. The only time you'll see me posting about a bought team is when the poster suggests you have to do it.

I don't know what is coded in NHL19 - I know what I'd like to see, but that's different. If you're experience is one of being capped every year and your rationale for that is EA have their boffins putting trap doors and Easter eggs in NHL HUT to trip those of us up with higher rated teams why do you keep spending money on it just to be frustrated like this?

By the way, lots of hockey teams win matches by 'throwing the puck on the net'. That's why tipped goals are a thing. That's why screening the goalie is a thing. That's why there is a strategy called In Front Of The Net, and in HUT there is a Net Front Presence synergy. That really isn't an EA conspiracy.
  • TreborMalkin
    272 posts Member
    edited January 30
    JetSet I understand your point, but what you are missing at least from my stand is that I have played over 600 hut games, my original 85 Gretzky cover has played in 500 stat wise. There is a tilt and I don’t blame EA a bit for doing it, they want everyone to buy and play. I have grinded to get coins and cards and yes I got the special edition to get packs and I spend $25 on a ps points card here and there. I don’t think i should win every game but game play shouldn’t be handicapped especially in pvp. And it is. I put up 105 shots and scored 6 goals in two games vs opponents with lower rated players (cards) vs 4 goals for their 35. And I have played and scored 6 on players with higher rated teams than me, and against players rated higher than me. I do get beat on d I give up weak side goals when I shouldn’t but when the tilt happens weak side goals are almost impossible to get the opposing AI defense collapses and deflects every pass. Open outlet passes are bobbled by legends until oposing d is on them. You can check someone into the boards they skate through it and make the cross ice one timer and you get barely bumped and your guy loses the puck. The opposing goalie stands on his head yours lets the puck hit his chest and the puck goes in or they fail to cover or secure the puck and 3 AI players swoop in to get the puck. It is a difficulty adjustment. But in my opinion in pvp the good players will rise and the mediocre ones will be in the middle. You can quote real hockey and you are correct weak stuff goes in all the time but you won’t get an AHL team to beat a team of legends in their prime. Please don’t take this as me singling you out or being aggressive we may seem like we are whining but it is an obvious shift to make games more even. I don’t quit games if I get beat 23-1 I take it and try to learn. I have been up 4-1 in the second and the other player doesn’t move and his AI takes every puck and you can’t get the puck back when the Puck carrier doesn’t move. And the game ends 4-1 or 5-1. They say if the user is out of position or chases that’s what leads to goals against but I have seen it where that’s not the case when someone quits but doesn’t exit the game. I know this is a game and we should all have fun but it’s hard to judge your skill when the game adjusts.
    Post edited by TreborMalkin on
  • Sorry for the essay.
  • Jetset95
    388 posts Member
    edited January 30
    JetSet I understand your point, but what you are missing at least from my stand is that I have played over 600 hut games, my original 85 Gretzky cover has played in 500 stat wise. There is a tilt and I don’t blame EA a bit for doing it, they want everyone to buy and play.

I have grinded to get coins and cards and yes I got the special edition to get packs and I spend $25 on a ps points card here and there. I don’t think i should win every game but game play shouldn’t be handicapped especially in pvp.

And it is.
    • I put up 105 shots and scored 6 goals in two games vs opponents with lower rated players (cards) vs 4 goals for their 35
    • And I have played and scored 6 on players with higher rated teams than me, and against players rated higher than me
    • The opposing goalie stands on his head; yours lets the puck hit his chest and the puck goes in or they fail to cover or secure the puck and 3 AI players swoop in to get the puck
    • Open outlet passes are bobbled by legends until opposing d is on them
    • You can check someone into the boards they skate through it and make the cross ice one timer and you get barely bumped and your guy loses the puck
    • I get beat on D and give up weak side goals when I shouldn’t but when the tilt happens weak side goals are almost impossible to get the opposing AI defense collapses and deflects every pass

It is a difficulty adjustment. But in my opinion in pvp the good players will rise and the mediocre ones will be in the middle. You can quote real hockey and you are correct weak stuff goes in all the time but you won’t get an AHL team to beat a team of legends in their prime.

Please don’t take this as me singling you out or being aggressive we may seem like we are whining but it is an obvious shift to make games more even. I don’t quit games if I get beat 23-1 I take it and try to learn.

I have been up 4-1 in the second and the other player doesn’t move and his AI takes every puck and you can’t get the puck back when the Puck carrier doesn’t move. And the game ends 4-1 or 5-1. They say if the user is out of position or chases that’s what leads to goals against but I have seen it where that’s not the case when someone quits but doesn’t exit the game. I know this is a game and we should all have fun but it’s hard to judge your skill when the game adjusts.

First of all TM don't apologise for taking the time to post a thoughtful response like this. If more people did this the forum would be a better place - thank you.

I'm not sure if the number of games played has any relevance on win-loss stats other than the user hopefully getting better having played and practiced more; but your experience puts you in good stead.

I put your examples of ice tilts into bullets to make it easier for others to read, I hope that's okay. If not, I apologise. What it does for me is make it clear that ice tilt, as you say, could be one explanation of these situations. But based on my own experience, there are many more real (i.e. proven) reasons that this could occur, both in NHL and in the real world.

My soccer club (if you're not in the UK - if you are - football) lost last night 2-1. Not really exceptional - it happens all the time - one team wins, one loses. The stats tell a different story: My team had more shots, more possession, more time on attack (I'm paraphrasing for the NHL community here) - and we definitely had better players in every position.

So that was 'ice tilt'? Of course not. I'd be a rich man if I could distill the reasons why a better team loses but for E-sports there are some logical conclusions and some fall in the 'poop just happens' (hope that one gets past the censors...).

Goalies to stand on their head - maybe that is a random, rotating filter in the game because my 91 can look like the goals boarded up some days and like he's watching Netflix drinking a smoothie on others but it's a reflection of the game.

Good players missing pucks was a feature in the beta I noticed as well - not in the previous versions and not so much in the update so hopefully that will be solved for you.

Yes, you can hit someone into the boards, and depending on where you hit them then squeeze through and can still pick up the puck afterwards - it's like glancing blow and I've done it to others and it's been done to me. Not ice tilt - bad D positioning.

I shipped 6 short side goals yesterday in one game - I could not stop the guy getting into that position and in the current tuner goalies are awful and forget where the post is. You're correct that D is the way to stop that.

And my goodness yes it's frustrating when someone puts their controller down - it often seems like the game is harder - because it is. Players make bad decisions and move people out of position which the AI then has to react to. If you have one player on the centre of the blue line and he just sits there of course he's out of position, but if he doesn't move the AI can judge where to put the other 4 guys to defend as well as possible.

So I hope I've suggested that there are at least some other, more tangible reasons for your observations that just mythical ice tilt.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Google: "DDA EA"

It explains everything, and all you have to do is accept it and bend over...

...or move on.

The choice is yours. ;)