EA Forums - Banner

Kicked for Poor Team Play...as goalie?

I've played 500 or so games as goalie in EASHL 3s, both drop-in and team. Never had this happen before tonight:

EASHL 3's drop-in....I'm in goal. The other team has comp goalie.
Score is 1-1, in double OT.....I have 21 saves. My team only has 9 shots. The opposing team has about 3 times the Time on Attack.
About 19 minutes into double OT....I get a message "Kicked for poor Team Play".
Poof, I'm out of the game.

What the crap is that?? I wasted about 40 minutes playing a game that I get kicked from for keeping my team in the game when they just can't get shots??

Replies

• NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Talongore wrote: »
    I've played 500 or so games as goalie in EASHL 3s, both drop-in and team. Never had this happen before tonight:

EASHL 3's drop-in....I'm in goal. The other team has comp goalie.
    Score is 1-1, in double OT.....I have 21 saves. My team only has 9 shots. The opposing team has about 3 times the Time on Attack.
    About 19 minutes into double OT....I get a message "Kicked for poor Team Play".
    Poof, I'm out of the game.

What the crap is that?? I wasted about 40 minutes playing a game that I get kicked from for keeping my team in the game when they just can't get shots??
    That seems very odd. Thanks for bringing it up. Will take it to the team.

Couple Questions:
    - Were you way out of the net on the one goal? Potentially even free skating?
    - Was it an own goal?
    - While the puck is in the other end, do you free skate around a lot or just sit in your crease?

No idea if those have an impact but my gut tells me the team will ask those things from me of this case so figured I would start collecting more info.

Thanks.
  • Talongore
    45 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the response and questions! My answers to your questions:

Were you way out of the net on the one goal? Potentially even free skating?
    --- No. The other team scored their goal in the first period...a wrister that hit my pad, and then just barely trickled in. I was right in the crease and in good position, I thought. It was one of those frustrating saves you make, but still somehow find their way in. My team scored their goal early in the second period, a cross-crease pass I believe. Those were the only two goals, and I was kicked late in the overtime period, about 19 minutes in.

The opposing team was more often than not in our zone or just beyond the blue line. So, I stayed in the crease pretty much the entire time and was actively tracking the puck. I didn't even go behind the net to pick up any loose pucks this game.

Was it an own goal?
    --- No. It was just a quick wrister. If I recall, it was a pass from someone behind my net to someone in front, right around the hashmarks.

While the puck is in the other end, do you free skate around a lot or just sit in your crease?
    --- No, I was in the crease. I don't often skate around. I occasionally will skate out to grab a loose puck when I can be sure there is ample time for me to get back in the event the puck pick-up fails.

I do typically just stand in one place while the puck is in the other zone. I'll zoom the camera up to the other zone, and leave my goalie in place. I do sometimes see my goalie make idle animations because I have not moved my goalie. I would guess this has some effect whereby the standing still reduces Team Play in some way. But that seems silly to me, because when the puck is in the other zone, what else am I gonna do?

Also, when I was kicked, the puck was active in my zone, and had been for a period of time as my team had problems clearing the puck. I was kicked right in the midst of action right outside the crease while tracking the puck.

Also of note:
    --- if it matters for any tracing or logs of some sort, I was playing under another xbox gamertag, "Blue Solution 7", not this gametag that I'm logged in with.

Thanks! I'll look forward to any response or details of what might have happened.

• When you just sit there the game thinks you're idle and you get a "get back in the game" warning before getting booted for team play. Maybe as a goalie you don't get this warning and when your team is always in the other zone, you are not moving. I think you got booted for being idle too long.

Is this a possibility @NHLDev ?
  • Talongore
    45 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    When you just sit there the game thinks you're idle and you get a "get back in the game" warning before getting booted for team play. Maybe as a goalie you don't get this warning and when your team is always in the other zone, you are not moving. I think you got booted for being idle too long.

Is this a possibility @NHLDev ?

That's what I'm thinking as well, but a few thoughts:
    - There must be some cumulative effect of this over time. And the fact that it went into two overtimes caused this effect to be greater than normal. In many other games where my team is dominating in the offensive zone, I'm "idle" WAY longer than I was in this game. In this game the other team had about three times Time on Attack than my own team....I was more active in this game than I need to be in many other games. But I'm guessing it being a longer game caused this cumulative threshold to be crossed.
    - Its odd that I would get kicked right in the middle of action. It would make more sense if I was kicked when I was standing "idle". But in this case, I was anticipating a shot at anytime given where the puck was.
    - I don't know if I get the "get in the game" warning...I turn all that off as goalie b/c its very distracting.

I agree with you that this has some part to play here, but if that's the case I'm hoping its an easy adjustment to increase the threshold for goalies, or stop the "counter" when the puck is in other zone.