EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Connection variability on servers??

I have ripped this game in some form or another for its inconsistent online play ever since the birth of the PS4/XB1 era. The P2P setup and matchmaking in this game can be horrible at times and deem the game unplayable for the most part since one game can be crispy quick while others could be slow and weighed down where using your controller is a fight.

With that being said, it's been a welcome addition to be able to play all HUT games on the servers now instead up using the P2P protocol. Every single game I play has the same latency now and it only varies by a few MS at the most during the course of the game. It's usually in the 27-32ms range. To me that would suggest that I am playing on the same server every single game.

Here is what I don't understand though. If I am playing on the same server every game and the connection conditions are the same every game then why are there still situations where one game feels crispy quick and another game my players still feel delayed? I mean if the conditions are the same every single game then every game should feel the same, shouldn't it?

Unless I'm missing something here?

Replies

• I'm pretty convinced that even though you're connected to server instead directly to your opponent (p2p), your opponents connection to server does affect how the game plays in your end. @NHLDev is that possible?
  • I get the input delay in about half of the EASHL club games I play, it's so frustrating. My PS4 is hardwired to my router and have never had any issues with any other game so it's not on my end. Networking and connections should be better and better each year but only EA would find a way to make it worse with each passing year.
  • I have exactly the same problem as you. Some days, it's a speedy, no delay games. Some other days, it has 1-2 sec delay and can vary with some other opponents. My hands are sore because I am holding the controller so strongly cause it does not do what I immediately want to.
  • JMO_20152015
    11 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Is anyone able to provide some insight on how the in game connection works and why this issue of input delay occurs? it's no fun at all to play with when it happens

[Post edited to remove mass tag]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • Confusion2000
    137 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    > @JMO_20152015 said:
    Is anyone able to provide some insight on how the in game connection works and why this issue of input delay occurs? it's no fun at all to play with when it happens

This has been a GAME-BREAKING problem with only the NHL series, especially since it came to the PS4 and XB1. Many players have tried new routers, new modems, and even new internet providers in order to find a solution, and most never find it. There has got to be a logical explanation for it, right?

[Post edited to remove mass tag]
  • Kmahrle83
    367 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    > @JMO_20152015 said:

This has been a GAME-BREAKING problem with only the NHL series, especially since it came to the PS4 and XB1. Many players have tried new routers, new modems, and even new internet providers in order to find a solution, and most never find it. There has got to be a logical explanation for it, right?
    There is a logical explanation... Their servers have been garbage for years and they refuse to spend the money to upgrade. It's no coincidence that most people having problems, have no problems playing non EA games. It's most definitely in their end but they will never admit fault.

It's also no coincidence that HUT had no problems switching to dedicated servers and other modes didn't. VS mode brings them no extra revenue hence, they just let it decay year after year while their resources are spent on the money grubbing HUT mode.

It's painfully obvious to anyone who pays attention that they only really care about their precious HUT, and people buying cards. Look at club and drop in. DRE have been a huge problem for a lot of people but they just haven't put the resources on to fix it, but if it were HUT, and their sales on packs were suffering, they would absolutely somehow come up with a fix within days of not hours.

There's a good reason EA is one of the most (if not THE most) hatred publishers out there, and it's largely in part to their anti consumer business practices.

End rant
  • > @Kmahrle83 said:
    > Confusion2000 wrote: »
    >
    > > @JMO_20152015 said:
    > Is anyone able to provide some insight on how the in game connection works and why this issue of input delay occurs? it's no fun at all to play with when it happens
    >
    > This has been a GAME-BREAKING problem with only the NHL series, especially since it came to the PS4 and XB1. Many players have tried new routers, new modems, and even new internet providers in order to find a solution, and most never find it. There has got to be a logical explanation for it, right?
    >
    >
    >
    > There is a logical explanation... Their servers have been garbage for years and they refuse to spend the money to upgrade. It's no coincidence that most people having problems, have no problems playing non EA games. It's most definitely in their end but they will never admit fault.
    >
    > It's also no coincidence that HUT had no problems switching to dedicated servers and other modes didn't. VS mode brings them no extra revenue hence, they just let it decay year after year while their resources are spent on the money grubbing HUT mode.
    >
    > It's painfully obvious to anyone who pays attention that they only really care about their precious HUT, and people buying cards. Look at club and drop in. DRE have been a huge problem for a lot of people but they just haven't put the resources on to fix it, but if it were HUT, and their sales on packs were suffering, they would absolutely somehow come up with a fix within days of not hours.
    >
    > There's a good reason EA is one of the most (if not THE most) hatred publishers out there, and it's largely in part to their anti consumer business practices.
    >
    > End rant

Well the thing there is that it's very easy to just say the servers are garbage, but when you look at when you have a perfect connection in a VS game or another game that doesn't use servers, but uses P2P, it makes it harder to just simply blame the servers themselves for the problems.

I mean if my latency is a flat 25ms against another P2P opponent and there is no variability throughout the game (flat graph) then in theory the game should work flawless for both sides. Same should go for playing on the servers as my latency is usually flat in the upper 20s. That is just not the case most of the time though.

I will say that the only time I have problems with variable latencies and other jitter and game choppiness is in P2P games since I am forced to feel other peoples bad internet/connections. My connection always LOOKS golden when I'm on a server, unless my ISP is actually having issues.

In the end I think playing on servers is the way to go in the future, assuming they can have enough of them for everybody to have a good experience.