EA Forums - Banner

Passing mechanic or bad coding?

Prev1
FatKidd5151
98 posts Member
edited February 2019

Please tell me I was trying to make that pass so I can laugh in you’re face or it’s my controller 👍🏻 My online pass assist is at zero also 🤷🏼‍♂️

Replies

• Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1164 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I don't get it. You aim approx 8 o clock and it goes same direction on release.

That dot only moves where you move it. It's 100% reliant on input from the sticks. So... Either your controller is broken, or you are.
  • I don't get it. You aim approx 8 o clock and it goes same direction on release.

That dot only moves where you move it. It's 100% reliant on input from the sticks. So... Either your controller is broken, or you are.

Why doesn’t the guy with the puck move left to make that pass? He doesn’t make any kind of move left at all, until the mechanic kicks in. How come the dot doesn’t move left until the passing mechanic kicks in. If I wanted to pass it left the dot would of moved before it said hard pass right? It’s totally my controller or me 👍🏻

• Socair
    2451 posts Game Changer
    There is a built in delay between your inputs and the on screen controller visualisation feedback. It was discussed here in the fall https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/comment/2004412#Comment_2004412
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Socair wrote: »
    There is a built in delay between your inputs and the on screen controller visualisation feedback. It was discussed here in the fall https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/comment/2004412#Comment_2004412

I have to setup a camera so you can see my left thumb and the tv screen now 👍🏻. Why does my guy still skate back towards the blue line where I wanted the pass to go after it’s released then? He doesn’t skate left at all, only the mechanic goes left. Sorry the dot!
  • Guess nobody can tell me why my guy doesn’t skate to the left at all, but the pass goes left. You see my guy skate down and away, just like my input before the awesome mechanic kicks in 👍🏻
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    The on screen vis in the bottom right during the replay are representations of the raw left and right stick inputs. They don’t have anything to do with the pass mechanic itself. The trailing dots was a rendering technique I believe so you could see the previous motion of how the left stick moved over the last x frames to its location.

So in this case, it says your left stick is rolling over to the left and that is where the pass goes.

Fully understood that isn’t what you intended to do but that is the input the game got from you on this play.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    The on screen vis in the bottom right during the replay are representations of the raw left and right stick inputs. They don’t have anything to do with the pass mechanic itself. The trailing dots was a rendering technique I believe so you could see the previous motion of how the left stick moved over the last x frames to its location.

So in this case, it says your left stick is rolling over to the left and that is where the pass goes.

Fully understood that isn’t what you intended to do but that is the input the game got from you on this play.

I understand about the dot. Why doesn’t the guy I’m controlling move with the pass after the follow through? His body is clearly moving where I want the pass to go and his arms are the only thing going with the pass. After the puck leaves, he’s clearly going where I wanted the pass to originally go.

Before he receives the pass, you can clearly see how the other passer continues towards him before he receives it and the auto switch kicks in. Every pass you make, the guy you’re controlling there body continues to move where you’re left stick is pointed. All the way up to the auto switch point.

Online passing assist is at 0/100, something made that pass change all by itself, so please dont give me the roll over answer. Unless everything I said above is not how the left stick works at all in nhl19?

I do appreciate you responding.

• NHLDev
    edited February 2019
    NHLDev wrote: »

I understand about the dot. Why doesn’t the guy I’m controlling move with the pass after the follow through? His body is clearly moving where I want the pass to go and his arms are the only thing going with the pass. After the puck leaves, he’s clearly going where I wanted the pass to originally go.

Before he receives the pass, you can clearly see how the other passer continues towards him before he receives it and the auto switch kicks in. Every pass you make, the guy you’re controlling there body continues to move where you’re left stick is pointed. All the way up to the auto switch point.

Online passing assist is at 0/100, something made that pass change all by itself, so please dont give me the roll over answer. Unless everything I said above is not how the left stick works at all in nhl19?

Your player would only move that way if you didn't release the pass button and initiate the pass animation so quickly. When you ask to release the pass, your player goes into a constant speed during the pass animation at the direction they were headed at that moment in time.

If you go into practice mode, you will see the longer you hold that new direction before you release the pass, the more likely your player is to turn to that direction but if you roll quickly and release, the player won't turn to that new direction before the pass animation starts to play, locking them in their current direction during the pass animation. I was able to replicate it just now in practice mode by starting to power the pass as I was headed down and then quickly rolled my left stick before release and saw the player continue locked in their trajectory down during the pass animation even though the pass did get sent to the left and that is what it looks like happened to me in this particular case.
    Post edited by NHLDev on
  • monz
    872 posts Member

Please tell me I was trying to make that pass so I can laugh in you’re face or it’s my controller 👍🏻 My online pass assist is at zero also 🤷🏼‍♂️

Looks like the puck went exactly were you placed it, you simply made a poor pass.

Your player would only move that way if you didn't release the pass button and initiate the pass animation so quickly. When you ask to release the pass, your player goes into a constant speed during the pass animation at the direction they were headed at that moment in time.

If you go into practice mode, you will see the longer you hold that new direction before you release the pass, the more likely your player is to turn to that direction but if you roll quickly and release, the player won't turn to that new direction before the pass animation starts to play, locking them in their current direction during the pass animation. I was able to replicate it just now in practice mode by starting to power the pass as I was headed down and then quickly rolled by left stick before release and saw the player continue locked in their trajectory down during the pass animation even though the pass did get sent to the left and that is what it looks like happened to me in this particular case.

Why would I roll the left stick left really fast for? You can clearly see from the first pass where I’m aiming and wanting to skate to and at that point you can see what the next pass should be. It’s basic hockey 101 really, to the blue line behind him. My dot confirms it all the way up to the passing mechanic kicks in or some ice tilt game mechanic. My guy still skates down and right a little after the pass.

The only way you’re “theory” could work is if I was trying to pass to the guy by the left faceoff cycle. The dot would of finished at around the 10 or 11 spot or you’re just gonna keep trying to say I jerked it left just that little bit. Just so the delay can kick in and he keeps skating down and right. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • NHLDev
    edited February 2019

If you go into practice mode, you will see the longer you hold that new direction before you release the pass, the more likely your player is to turn to that direction but if you roll quickly and release, the player won't turn to that new direction before the pass animation starts to play, locking them in their current direction during the pass animation. I was able to replicate it just now in practice mode by starting to power the pass as I was headed down and then quickly rolled by left stick before release and saw the player continue locked in their trajectory down during the pass animation even though the pass did get sent to the left and that is what it looks like happened to me in this particular case.

Why would I roll the left stick left really fast for? You can clearly see from the first pass where I’m aiming and wanting to skate to and at that point you can see what the next pass should be. It’s basic hockey 101 really, to the blue line behind him. My dot confirms it all the way up to the passing mechanic kicks in or some ice tilt game mechanic. My guy still skates down and right a little after the pass.

The only way you’re “theory” could work is if I was trying to pass to the guy by the left faceoff cycle. The dot would of finished at around the 10 or 11 spot or you’re just gonna keep trying to say I jerked it left just that little bit. Just so the delay can kick in and he keeps skating down and right. 🤷🏼‍♂️
    The piece you are missing is that I am not commenting on what your intention was or making any comments on what hockey 101 is. I am commenting on what the replay control indicators show us, which is a representation of what you did, not what you intended.

As another example, we have people tell us that they get toe drags by accident. When that happens, they intended to move their right stick straight to the side but in reality, they actually performed a gesture with their thumb that rolled through the bottom of the controller. It doesn't mean they intended to do it but they did it.

The left stick visualization in replay doesn't update based on any mechanics as it is just a rendered visualization of the raw input we get from your left stick input.

We take this type of feedback very seriously but I can't see any indication that there is a problem with the way the game reads the left stick right now. I am currently snapping pucks around in practice mode to add confidence to that claim but I haven't seen anything this year in all my games that has proven otherwise either.

To give you an idea of how it could happen, you could start to turn towards the blueline and feel that your thumb overshot straight down in that movement and knowing you want to pass straight down, you then correct back, thinking you are moving from 5 to 6 when really you are moving from 6 to 7/8.
  • FatKidd5151
    98 posts Member
    edited February 2019

The piece you are missing is that I am not commenting on what your intention was or making any comments on what hockey 101 is. I am commenting on what the replay control indicators show us, which is a representation of what you did, not what you intended.

As another example, we have people tell us that they get toe drags by accident. When that happens, they intended to move their right stick straight to the side but in reality, they actually performed a gesture with their thumb that rolled through the bottom of the controller. It doesn't mean they intended to do it but they did it.

The left stick visualization in replay doesn't update based on any mechanics as it is just a rendered visualization of the raw input we get from your left stick input.

We take this type of feedback very seriously but I can't see any indication that there is a problem with the way the game reads the left stick right now. I am currently snapping pucks around in practice mode to add confidence to that claim but I haven't seen anything this year in all my games that has proven otherwise either.

To give you an idea of how it could happen, you could start to turn towards the blueline and feel that your thumb overshot straight down in that movement and knowing you want to pass straight down, you then correct back, thinking you are moving from 5 to 6 when really you are moving from 6 to 7/8.

Again, i never moved the left stick after I hit the pass button the first time or the second time. Now you’re assuming my intentions and you just said it yourself that the dot isn’t an actual representation of what I did.

I’m gonna say it one more time. The left stick never moved when I hit the r2 on the first pass. The left stick never moved after or during the second time I hit r2. Really you’re proving my point about passing in nhl19. I said it awhile ago, it’s pure chance in this game when you’re game mechanic kicks in 👍🏻. Just keep assuming instead of actually listening. Thank you for responding and have a nice day guy!

Back to Red Dead 2 online and back to the cheap way of buying this game. The intellectual people will understand, when the games in the $10 bin a year behind. Only fun when hanging out with friends game 👏🏻👍🏻

Sorry, I should of added how I was told 1-2 months ago that dot wasn’t an actual representation because of the frame rate. That was by a dev also 🤷🏼‍♂️
    Post edited by FatKidd5151 on

Again, i never moved the left stick after I hit the pass button the first time or the second time. Now you’re assuming my intentions and you just said it yourself that the dot isn’t an actual representation of what I did.

I’m gonna say it one more time. The left stick never moved when I hit the r2 on the first pass. The left stick never moved after or during the second time I hit r2. Really you’re proving my point about passing in nhl19. I said it awhile ago, it’s pure chance in this game when you’re game mechanic kicks in 👍🏻. Just keep assuming instead of actually listening. Thank you for responding and have a nice day guy!

Back to Red Dead 2 online and back to the cheap way of buying this game. The intellectual people will understand, when the games in the $10 bin a year behind. Only fun when hanging out with friends game 👏🏻👍🏻

So does that mean that in 3 years you will be here asking how passing works in NHL 20?

The on-screen display clearly shows controller input for 8 o'clock. What more do you want the dev to say? Everyone is seeing the same thing, and will tell you the same thing. Your pass went where you aimed, plain and simple.

Either you had a hiccup in your connection, your controller may have a defect, or your thumbs actually did those movements. There isn't 312 different scenarios.

How many times per game does this happen for you??
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1164 posts Member
    edited February 2019

But it is a representation of your input. He literally said that.

Maybe. Just maybe, the dev knows what he's talking about, and you're simply not understanding, either willfully or unintentionally. Either way, if everyone here can clearly see what you were doing, based on the direct input of your sticks as per the visualization graphics, and all come to the same conclusion, it's probably the correct conclusion.
  • FatKidd5151
    98 posts Member
    edited February 2019

So does that mean that in 3 years you will be here asking how passing works in NHL 20?

The on-screen display clearly shows controller input for 8 o'clock. What more do you want the dev to say? Everyone is seeing the same thing, and will tell you the same thing. Your pass went where you aimed, plain and simple.

Either you had a hiccup in your connection, your controller may have a defect, or your thumbs actually did those movements. There isn't 312 different scenarios.

How many times per game does this happen for you??

More then I like and you’re assuming now. The dev said it, “it’s not an actual representation because of the frame rate”. Unless that has changed from the last time I brought the bad passing. so what more do you need to here that the left stick never moved on both passes sir?
  • FatKidd5151
    98 posts Member
    edited February 2019

The left stick visualization in replay doesn't update based on any mechanics as it is just a rendered visualization of the raw input we get from your left stick input. [b/]

Again, i never moved the left stick after I hit the pass button the first time or the second time. Now you’re assuming my intentions and you just said it yourself that the dot isn’t an actual representation of what I did.[b/]

Maybe. Just maybe, the dev knows what he's talking about, and you're simply not understanding, either willfully or unintentionally. Either way, if everyone here can clearly see what you were doing, based on the direct input of your sticks as per the visualization graphics, and all come to the same conclusion, it's probably the correct conclusion.

Last time I was told because of frame rate it isn’t an actual representation of the dot. Go back and you can look it up. I believe the headline was bad passing. 👍🏻 Guess there changing there tune a few months later. The left stick never moved on both passes. How more times are you gonna keep assuming sir?

The left stick visualization in replay doesn't update based on any mechanics as it is just a rendered visualization of the raw input we get from your left stick input. [b/]

Again, i never moved the left stick after I hit the pass button the first time or the second time. Now you’re assuming my intentions and you just said it yourself that the dot isn’t an actual representation of what I did.[b/]

Last time I was told because of frame rate it isn’t an actual representation of the dot. Go back and you can look it up. I believe the headline was bad passing. 👍🏻 Guess there changing there tune a few months later. The left stick never moved on both passes. How more times are you gonna keep assuming sir?

You aimed at 8 o clock, pass went to 8 o clock. I assume you can tell time on an anolog clock? Because the pass went exactly where you aimed. You're the only one here that see's anything different.

You aimed at 8 o clock, pass went to 8 o clock. I assume you can tell time on an anolog clock? Because the pass went exactly where you aimed. You're the only one here that see's anything different.

When does the dot move sir? Where does the body go during that whole movement and after before it auto switches a lot fast then the first pass? Where is the fifth guy for the other team at If four of them are in view? Are you really gonna make me do this to you sir? Basic hockey 101!! Again, the left stick never moved 👍🏻

• Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1164 posts Member
    edited February 2019

When does the dot move sir? Where does the body go during that whole movement and after before it auto switches a lot fast then the first pass? Where is the fifth guy for the other team at If four of them are in view? Are you really gonna make me do this to you sir? Basic hockey 101!! Again, the left stick never moved 👍🏻

Alright you're 100% correct, and we're all wrong.
    Yet in spite of that, you're the only one having an issue.

Personally. Rdr2 online is probably more your speed any way. Auto aim and all that

And in case you missed it, pass is made on release of rt/r1, not on the the initial press.

Alright you're 100% correct, and we're all wrong.
    Yet in spite of that, you're the only one having an issue.

Personally. Rdr2 online is probably more your speed any way. Auto aim and all that

And in case you missed it, pass is made on release of rt/r1, not on the the initial press.

Look dude, I was told 1-2 months ago by a dev that the dot isn’t an actual representation because of the frame rate. Now it is, that literally makes no sense, which is it? If it is then it shows without a shadow of doubt, with online passing assist at 0/100 that it decided to ignore my inputs on the controller and pass it to a covered guy. Again, I never moved the left stick on both passes because that’s how the play was dictated sir! Are you missing something else?

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!