EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Developers please fix AI offsides

AI constantly can’t stop at the blue line. Some game 5 plus times. This has been going on for years. If your skating full speed the AI on the opposite side of the ice just can’t stay onside. They try to stop or straddle the blue line but just end up straddling nothing inside the zone. This happens most often when skating in a straight line at full speed, no moves made at the line so there is no reason for it. Worst part is the inconsistency of it, if my team isn’t doing it the opponents is. Almost seems like a momentum thing and really slows the game down.

Replies

• setaylor1
    53 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I recognized this immediately too. (I am an offline player.) In settings, if you have Offside Warning = On, you can see the ice change color for the offsides zone (when in play). It does feel like a momentum disruptor because you can see the ice is clear as you approach the blue line, you can see your guys are waiting, then as soon as you get close to the blue line, your guy (probably day-dreaming about chicken parm) wanders across the blue line at the exact moment you need to or gets shoved by the other team, right before you cross the blue line. Offsides for the 22nd time in 4 minutes :)

I have noticed a lot of these 'little scripts' baked into the game. Another one I noticed is Traded Players. It appears (in my Franchise mode anyway) any and every time a player is traded, and then you play the team that player was traded from, that player will score in the very first game against their former team.

Don't get me wrong, I love that stuff too, but I dislike seeing what looks like predetermination in these scenarios.
    PS4 Pro : NHL19 : Franchise Mode
  • KidShowtime1867
    950 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Levis9999 wrote: »
    This happens most often when skating in a straight line at full speed, no moves made at the line so there is no reason for it.

Moving the puck through the neutral zone in a straight line at full speed is not the best strategy.

Your A.I. wants to 'flow' with you in to the zone, and your straight line full speed (probably hustling too) throws them off because they expect some kind of puck movement; either a dump or a pass or a chip in.

When you're going too fast for them to time your entry properly, they try to anticipate and cause the offside.

Try dumping the puck or making one pass in the neutral zone to get your A.I. to play along nicer at the blue line during zone entry.
  • I will try dumping the puck more as well. I do not recall if this happens to me mostly "when skating in a straight line at full speed" or not, but will pay closer attention. Insightful @KidShowtime1867 thank you.
  • Levis9999 wrote: »
    This happens most often when skating in a straight line at full speed, no moves made at the line so there is no reason for it.

Moving the puck through the neutral zone in a straight line at full speed is not the best strategy.

Not really looking for tips on zone entry. If your skating in a straight line without making a move at the blue line there is nothing for the ai to do except stay onside. If someone is playing skill zone 1-4 D it takes the passing options away. If your on a 2 on 1 and the ai is the head man the opponent just has to cover the pass up to the blue line.

My 5 year old has figured out how to straddle the line, not try to stop at it like the ai does. I’ll post some videos if I find time
  • Levis9999 wrote: »

Not really looking for tips on zone entry. If your skating in a straight line without making a move at the blue line there is nothing for the ai to do except stay onside. If someone is playing skill zone 1-4 D it takes the passing options away. If your on a 2 on 1 and the ai is the head man the opponent just has to cover the pass up to the blue line.

My 5 year old has figured out how to straddle the line, not try to stop at it like the ai does. I’ll post some videos if I find time

Not giving you a 'tip' - trying to tell you how to navigate the neutral zone in order to get your A.I. to play along.

I'm not arguing that they should straddle the line better than a 5 year old.

Just telling you how it is and what to do to negate unfavorable A.I. decisions.
  • All I play is EASHL and I rarely see the AI go offside. When it does happen, it is usually because of a user and what he does prior to entering the zone. Like pulling off a deke just before the blue line, or a sharp cut before entering the zone.

For other modes, if you have aggressive breakouts and early breakouts and the AI is ahead of you, he is probably expecting a pass and isn't getting it and by holding off till the last second, he will go offside.
  • Levis9999
    58 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    All I play is EASHL and I rarely see the AI go offside. When it does happen, it is usually because of a user and what he does prior to entering the zone. Like pulling off a deke just before the blue line, or a sharp cut before entering the zone.

For other modes, if you have aggressive breakouts and early breakouts and the AI is ahead of you, he is probably expecting a pass and isn't getting it and by holding off till the last second, he will go offside.

Your absolutely correct but not what I have the issue with. Straight line into the zone and th AI can’t hold the line. Just played 6 online hut games and 19 offsides with all different opponents D statagies.

What’s the easiest way to post videos here. Spent ten minutes about to do it and had better thing to do. I’ve almost given up trying to post here. On my phone the keyboard covers where you type.

[Socair - edited for profanity short hand]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • TheMajjam
    508 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    All I play is EASHL and I rarely see the AI go offside. When it does happen, it is usually because of a user and what he does prior to entering the zone. Like pulling off a deke just before the blue line, or a sharp cut before entering the zone.

Your absolutely correct but not what I have the issue with. Straight line into the zone and th AI can’t hold the line. Just played 6 online hut games and 19 offsides with all different opponents D statagies.

What’s the easiest way to post videos here. Spent ten minutes about to do it and had better thing to do. I’ve almost given up trying to post here. On my phone the keyboard covers where you type.

[Socair - edited for profanity short hand]

Lev, trying to post videos here on mobile is a nightmare. Which is what I'm assuming you're on.

I get what you're trying to say about the AI. This forum has a very big problem with users telling other users they need to get better at the game, or give them 'tips' when the game mechanics are out of whack. This is a detriment because with these comments, they put ownership on the player to adapt to bad mechanics rather than bring issues to light. It makes it seem as if the player is wrong, the game is right, and the player just needs to adapt to it. They're basically saying you've made a bad choice to do what you do on the ice, and its your fault the AI is in bad position. Um, no. The AI has issues in this game, some have been fixed, others have not. This includes AI defense, AI defensive zone clearing, AI aggressiveness, and my personal favorite, AI penalties. Hopefully it gets a tweak, because if your opponent is giving you the room to skate in a straight line and fast, why not just skate straight and fast into the zone. We as human players adapt to what the puck carrier is doing, the AI should follow suit. The only time I would put the fault on the carrier of the puck, is if he dekes last second at the blue-line to throw his players off and you can't even help that sometimes because there's a man or stick in the way.

Post videos if you can.
  • AI is by far one of the worst things in this game. EASHL specifically. They either play like a 8 year old first learning hockey or they play like a god and magically do everything correctly.
  • After playing more and paying closer attention this aspect of in-gameplay, I have noticed a few different things... Skating in a straight line, yes - this was most prominent in offsides calls - or even being a puck hog, but the biggest thing I noticed was it feels like the game almost wants you (almost forcing you) to dump the puck each and every time.

But when trying to deke (not even right before the blue line) or trying to out maneuver the opposing team, almost immediately you can see the red lines waiting for you to cross for an offsides call.

I have also noticed offsides waiting for you when, what looked like no reason at all, but those were very few and far between. (I think because I was paying closer attention to this aspect)

But FapidextrousFTWs nailed it, another noticeable aspect of the game about the AI: "They either play like a 8 year old first learning hockey or they play like a god and magically do everything correctly." :D
  • AI is by far one of the worst things in this game. EASHL specifically. They either play like a 8 year old first learning hockey or they play like a god and magically do everything correctly.

Come on over here. We're having an interesting discussion on why your A.I. is playing like 8 year olds..