EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 Roster Update - April 17th

Check out the details on the latest Roster changes here.

Division matchups

TreborMalkin
198 posts Member
edited February 19
I have played 2 players in the top 200 in d3. This is crap. I’m ranked 9000

[Socair - edited swear filter]
Post edited by Socair on

Replies

• Just played my 5th game of d3. Third top 200 player why is the top getting matched up ca the bottom. There are 16k players in D1 and d2 8k in d3 you mean to tell me only the top 200 and me play.
  • I had three games this past weekend against guys in the top 150 of Divisions - I'm ranked 5000 or so - and also in HUT Champs and CS I pulled guys who were in the top 50 of both competitions. I know that HC and CS are 'Cup' competitions - like the UK's FA Cup in Football / Soccer where any minor team can pull one of the big teams 5 Divisions higher and £500M richer than them - but the same teams would never meet on a Saturday in Division match ups.

Needless to say it didn't end well...

I've flagged this many times before, and it has been rationally explained based on wait times for games. If we were to narrow the field when searching for a division game or online matchup of any kind, you may find yourself waiting all night for a game.

Consider the auction house - I recently did a search for a right handed player, with BU, rated 88 to 92. It pulled back only 24 cards and no-one that matched my expectations. If I widened the search to just right handed with BU: Hundreds of course to choose from now.

I'd love to be able to search for matches based on ranking and win/loss records. This would give you a much better chance of pulling a reasonable match up - but out of a much smaller pool of players who were online at the time and so you may be waiting a long time for that game.

I don't think it's unreasonable in future iterations of the game to be able to select, say either a quick, or aligned matchmaking option before you hit search. If the aligned search doesn't pull back a match for you after 2 or 3 searches you could switch to quick and risk getting someone 3 or 4 divisions away from you.

This of course can be a problem as you found out, but can also work in your favour. This weekend I had two matches left in my Division 2 season and needed one win for promotion to Division 1. My first game was against that person ranked 5000 places above me and it wasn't pretty. My second and final match of the D2 season before I had to do it all again went the other way though, and matched me against someone in Division 4 ranked about 1000 places lower than me and I managed to get the win. I didn't have to wait for 10 minutes to get either match which is the trade off.
  • Stick to 1 v1 game mode then ?

It's funny to because the who's 6-0 that's ahead of the guy that's 12-2 in points in competitive seasons, buddy that did 6-0 probably bested players way under his ranking and got top points while buddy that's 12-2 probably played tougher competition
  • Dixonyu wrote: »
    Stick to 1 v1 game mode then ?

It's funny to because the who's 6-0 that's ahead of the guy that's 12-2 in points in competitive seasons, buddy that did 6-0 probably bested players way under his ranking and got top points while buddy that's 12-2 probably played tougher competition

Which 1 v 1 game mode would that be?

Also - forgive me if misinterpreted you're post - but if you're saying that a person in, say - Comp Seasons - is 6-0 with 1500 points, has played easier completion a long way under his present ranking than his friend who's played 8 more games and is 12-2 has only 1350 points then that's incorrect.

If the 6-0 guy had played easy completion below his ranking, and the his buddy had won 12 games versus higher ranked, harder competition even with 2 losses (again assuming they were tough high ranked competitors so avoiding loosing too many points in the loss) the points rewards for beating tougher, higher ranked opponents would be much higher for buddy than for 6-0 guy.

Getting back to my post and the original posters point - yes the rewards for beating someone ranked 5000 points higher than me would be most welcome, but the chasm in skill between me and the top 150 guys I faced was all too evident and the fact I didn't loose more games by 11-1 like the first one was more luck than good judgment and good play by me.

I'd rather win games and reap the lesser rewards (say 40-60 points) for beating someone at my level or slightly above or below, than lose the 15 coins I did with the 11-1 thrashing. I was pleasantly surprised that the game thought I had shown a modicum of skill and rewarded my meagre efforts with 1045 coins thought, to be fair.