EA Forums - Banner

Sales dropping each year EA... This is why.

Prev134
Above1988
80 posts Member
edited March 2019
It's no secret that the player base continues to dwindle each year. We just saw a recent spike on xbox around the 299,000 mark, but most of that was sale purchases for less than $20.... Just a few years ago, by this time of the year we would be closer 500,000, most of which who paid the full $60 price tag for the game, let alone the premium and presale editions with all the extras that come with it.

Everybody has their reason on why the game is "trash" in one way or another, but there is a seriously glaring problem that the Devs (or most likely the EA bigwigs) overlook and fail to recognize:

The "community" influences this game way too much.

And by community, I'm not talking about the greater majority of players that you see sitting in Div 10 every year, the same player base that’s continuing to dwindle away, year after year…. I'm talking about the <1% of players who rant and rave on these forums, because they’re not winning every game, and the even lesser percentage of those privileged with the title of "gamechanger".

So what happens is you have a very small group of players, who are altering the game according to their personal preference and play style, that the greater majority of players have to adhere to because EA is desperately trying to do anything and everything to give what (they think) everybody wants, all in effort to boost sales again. In other words: the inmates are literally running the asylum.

The greater majority of players clearly just can’t keep up with the endless patches and tuners that are catered to the <1%, and why should they?? It’s literally a different game every two weeks! Any low-level business executive at EA should know that consistency is the key to success and there’s nothing consistent about this game, except for the drop in sales, year after year….

It’s not just the forums but it’s also in-game as well. The fact that the hut marketplace is 100% controlled and mandated by the community is just abysmal. Just, WHY?! For a game mode that’s all about getting ahead by upgrading your team, it gets more difficult every year because the community determines what’s valuable and what isn’t in the marketplace. Yes, we have the free legend cards this year. The problem with that is now everyone has the exact same “ultimate team”, and there’s absolutely no incentive to buy packs or trade anymore because like every year, nothing is worth what it should be! The marketplace is worse than ever!

How about specialty cards having minimum/maximum sell values?? How about introducing better packs with better pulls to actually give players reason to spend real money on? How bout standing behind your product with some productive rule and regulation, without catering to the demands of school children who aren't satisfied with their toy!?

No because once again, you have a small group of players who are controlling all aspects of this game, and EA wonders where the sales are going??

Yes, this is the growing trend/problem with allot of online games these days, but the effects are more pronounced when you have a small and niche player base like the NHL series. Everybody can see that EA took a step in the right direction with Apex legends dominating the scene right now, but they are continuing to ruin NHL (along with other AAA titles) for the true fanbases of these games.

I don’t know what’s next for the NHL series. Maybe free to play, battle royale is the way to go but as of now its not looking good.
Post edited by Above1988 on

Replies

• You have any actual sales data to support your claim? When you say the game is trash is that in totality or just your hut experience?

Shouldn't the community have a say on how the game we play performs? Most games listen to their communities feedback when implementing change. Ex. Fortnite, black ops, halo, rl, apex ect.

This year has been so easy to get cheap cards off the market, plus all the free cards and sets have made this year so easy to build a team without spending money. That's an awesome thing for someone like me who isnt going to ever buy packs.

You cant please every individual customer but this year the communication and changes are a welcome change to this series.
  • In terms of HUT, EA done alot of turnover. Not always the best thought out, but this year is light years ahead of last year where the market was flooded with oodles of everything. The HUT legends are great except they went a little over the top with some of the ratings. Probably should have lowered the synergies and overall ratings and of course not have every month be a center. They should have Chelios or Leetch or Lidstrom been one month. Parent or Roy or Brodeur another month and Bure or Selanne or Nolan as a winger out there. Would have liked to see team of the weeks start with 2 synergies from day 1. Wasn't a great reason to go after a +1 rating for premium price. And more than anything, Evos which were an awful mess last year went to far the wrong direction. I'd really like to see 4 Evo events and if they dare bring out a different collectible, give you a 2 for 1 on the old series. And add a carbon collectible to the trade in sets as they're now an afterthought. Lastly I think they desperately need the old system back where you needed a complete line to activate your boost. No playing 16 centers and 2 defenseman and expecting active synergies. Bring the position changes back and loose the current customizations. All in all though, this year you didn't need to dump a ton of money into packs to have a good team. You could do it with time. Now I did cash cause I don't have the time, and that brings me to the packs, which were terrible. Between birthday PSN cards and what I used out of pocket, I'm sure I went over $300. And I got an 87 Kurri as my best pull. Um...yeah. On the plus side, I don't have a homogenized team like 80% of the masses. Although it's starting to get there now that I'm unlocking more and more players. That's the biggest flaw this year.

• Above1988 wrote: »
    It's no secret that the player base continues to dwindle each year. We just saw a recent spike on xbox around the 299,000 mark, but most of that was sale purchases for less than $20.... Just a few years ago, by this time of the year we would be closer 500,000, most of which who paid the full $60 price tag for the game, let alone the premium and presale editions with all the extras that come with it.

Everybody has they're reason on why the game is "trash" in one way or another, but there is a seriously glaring problem that the Devs (or most likely the EA bigwigs) overlook and fail to recognize:

The "community" influences this game way too much.

And by community, I'm not talking about the greater majority of players that you see sitting in Div 10 every year. The same player base that’s continuing to dwindle away, year after year…. I'm talking about the <1% of players who rant and rave on these forums, because they’re not winning every game, and the even lesser percentage of those privileged with the title of "gamechanger".

So what happens is you have a very small group of players, who are altering the game according to their personal preference and play style, that the greater majority of players have to adhere to because EA is desperately trying to do anything and everything to give what (they think) everybody wants, all in effort to boost sales again. In other words: the inmates are literally running the asylum.

The greater majority of players clearly just can’t keep up with the endless patches and tuners that are catered to the >1%, and why should they?? It’s literally a different game every two weeks! Any low-level business executive at EA should know that consistency is the key to success and there’s nothing consistent about this game, except for the drop in sales, year after year….

It’s not just the forums but it’s also in-game as well. The fact that the hut marketplace is 100% controlled and mandated by the community is just abysmal. Just, WHY?! For a game mode that’s all about getting ahead by upgrading your team, it gets more difficult every year because the community determines what’s valuable and what isn’t in the marketplace. Yes, we have the free legend cards this year. The problem with that is now everyone has the exact same “ultimate team”, and there’s absolutely no incentive to buy packs or trade anymore because like every year, nothing is worth what it should be! The marketplace is worse than ever!

How about specialty cards having minimum/maximum sell values?? How about introducing better packs with better pulls to actually give players reason to spend real money on? How bout standing behind your product with some productive rule and regulation, without catering to the demands of school children who aren't satisfied with their toy!?

No because once again, you have a small group of players who are controlling all aspects of this game, and EA wonders where the sales are going??

Yes, this is the growing trend/problem with allot of online games these days, but the effects are more pronounced when you have a small and niche player base like the NHL series. Everybody can see that EA took a step in the right direction with Apex legends dominating the scene right now, but they are continuing to ruin NHL (along with other AAA titles) for the true fanbases of these games.

I don’t know what’s next for the NHL series. Maybe free to play, battle royale is the way to go but as of now its not looking good.

So basically, this is:

1- I have difficulty winning games lately.

2- My HUT pulls are not very good.

Correct?
  • Micro transactions are the grave diggers for all online games, but they make up for slumping game sales. On the other hand, If people can buy an advantage over others, other people will feel alienated and eventually leave to go look for something else to play. Pick your poison.
  • NHL 15 on this gen of consoles is the worst hockey game I've ever played. That was with no gamechanger program, and they listened very little to community feedback.

NHL 19 is a very good game in my opinion. If you want to say tuners and stuff ruined the game, then i agree to an extent. The Beta was widely praised from pretty much everyone i talked to. Certain people didn't like certain things, and the game changed to no longer look like the game we loved during the Beta. Had their been less tuners this year, i imagine the game would look more like what we're playing now than what we were playing (or in my case not playing) during the original 1.03 tuner.
  • RSO75 wrote: »
    Micro transactions are the grave diggers for all online games, but they make up for slumping game sales. On the other hand, If people can buy an advantage over others, other people will feel alienated and eventually leave to go look for something else to play. Pick your poison.

Factor inflation into the equation, and games are cheaper, while having considerably higher production costs

As long as micro transactions are purely cosmetic, I'm absolutely fine with them being in games if it means keeping an 80$ price tag (chrono trigger @$100 in 1995 would be 150$ today).

Doesn't seem to be a factor many even consider when looking at things like this. The alternative is 120-150$ for every game, including base game. Not the 80$(cad) starting average.

For the record, I'm against micro transactions that provide an advantage (ie better players). It should be only customization options. Nothing impacting performance. But I digress.
  • Just blows my mind how a game like Red dead or GTA can go for $80 and be good for 3-5 years, and NHL can release a new game every year and charge the same and even higher for the hut lunatics. At least with GTA and Red Dead their maps are huge and the amount of detail they put into it is worth the money, yet EA just reuses the same layout and changes some gameplay mechanics here and there, NHL games should be max $20-30 if they're going to bring a new one out every year.
  • Just blows my mind how a game like Red dead or GTA can go for $80 and be good for 3-5 years, and NHL can release a new game every year and charge the same and even higher for the hut lunatics. At least with GTA and Red Dead their maps are huge and the amount of detail they put into it is worth the money, yet EA just reuses the same layout and changes some gameplay mechanics here and there, NHL games should be max $20-30 if they're going to bring a new one out every year.

I guess you only want to watch a season of whatever sports every 3 to 5 years? Because it's really just the same thing each year. Just slightly different rosters. They still put the hours in. They still gotta pay wages.

Red dead redemption will probably sell the same number of units that nhl does over those 3 to 5 years, so while annual purchaser's will technically spend more as a customer, overall the number of units sold will probably be roughly the same. So ya, annual release sucks, but for them as a company, they gotta pay the bills, and they won't make enough to justify making a hockey game every 3 to 5 years, as they'll only get one year's of sales when that release happens. If nhl sold the same numbers as rdr/GTA, they probably could get away with making a game every 3 to 5 years.

Just how reality works.
  • RSO75 wrote: »
    Micro transactions are the grave diggers for all online games, but they make up for slumping game sales. On the other hand, If people can buy an advantage over others, other people will feel alienated and eventually leave to go look for something else to play. Pick your poison.

I stopped playing HUT for this very reason. I joined LG again though, and I'll play a lot of 6s because the new tuner is actually enjoyable for me. If we ever get GM connected back with a tuner like this, I'll be ecstatic

Red Dead and Gta are on like 8 year development cycles...they better be as good as they are when you invest that much time and money into a game. Now, I wish Ea would put NHL on at least a 3 year development cycle. Make a game that actually plays well and doesnt need 25 updates a season. Then have dedicated roster support through the season (Like the MLB series). Then for the next 2 years you'd pay say $20.00 to maintain your updated rosters. Dont pay, cant have your rosters updated (they'd have to lock custom rosters, someone would be offended here). At least this way when the new game would release in 3 years, it should and would feel different. On yearly development cycles, so little changes that you hardly notice a difference. 15-18 all feel like the same game with minor tweaks (except 15 was barebones content). The 19 beta felt amazing and fresh with the new skating engine, but upon game release, they've proven that major changes like this can not be handled within a year of development, and now we have the mess that is 19. It will never happen, but it would be nice if it did.
  • Its pretty simple. Hockey fans want to play hockey. You know game where you have to pass puck and play with whole team. Not this horrible solo puckdragging ballerina dancing what this game has became.
  • Tylytys wrote: »
    Its pretty simple. Hockey fans want to play hockey. You know game where you have to pass puck and play with whole team. Not this horrible solo puckdragging ballerina dancing what this game has became.

Agree. It goes in a direction for a fun game for skateboard boys.

• ChuckNorrisCup16
    173 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Just blows my mind how a game like Red dead or GTA can go for $80 and be good for 3-5 years, and NHL can release a new game every year and charge the same and even higher for the hut lunatics. At least with GTA and Red Dead their maps are huge and the amount of detail they put into it is worth the money, yet EA just reuses the same layout and changes some gameplay mechanics here and there, NHL games should be max $20-30 if they're going to bring a new one out every year.

I guess you only want to watch a season of whatever sports every 3 to 5 years? Because it's really just the same thing each year. Just slightly different rosters. They still put the hours in. They still gotta pay wages.

Red dead redemption will probably sell the same number of units that nhl does over those 3 to 5 years, so while annual purchaser's will technically spend more as a customer, overall the number of units sold will probably be roughly the same. So ya, annual release sucks, but for them as a company, they gotta pay the bills, and they won't make enough to justify making a hockey game every 3 to 5 years, as they'll only get one year's of sales when that release happens. If nhl sold the same numbers as rdr/GTA, they probably could get away with making a game every 3 to 5 years.

Just how reality works.

No that's how scamming people for more money works, and then they wonder why there sales are down, because people are sick and tired of paying that much every year for the same game.

NHL for 5 years $80x5= $400
    GTA for 5 years $80x1= $80

So GTA makes the same amount of sales as NHL, but can charge $320 less in 5 years and still make money, yet EA is losing money chances are the reason is because they're not getting as much sales as GTA, because they over charge for there game every year and people are tired of paying that much for NHL, doesn't surprise me.
  • I always at the end of the year sell my NHL 15,16,17,18 each year get around $30.00 and put it towards the new NHL game so it usually only costs me around $36.00 for the new one
  • usmckillem
    47 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I’ve never played HUT nor do I care to. One of the biggest detractors is that this game caters to those that do. I usually play offline season or playoff mode. I’d rather play against AI since all the online players want to do is cheese goals. This game is far from real hockey and every year it gets worse. The devs are always on damage control because they don’t want to lose HUT players but they don’t care about AI, Goalies, passing, shooting, skating, etc. As long as HUT players can cheese or pick up legends or whatever they’re even called, that’s all EA cares about. I don’t buy this game at full cost anymore and wait until EA access usually since it’s cheaper and I get all the EA games for half the price. EA used to be about “If it’s in the game, it’s in the game.” Now it’s “If it’s HUT, it’s in the game.” Typical money hungry company that doesn’t care about authenticity.

Just how reality works.

No that's how scamming people for more money works, and then they wonder why there sales are down, because people are sick and tired of paying that much every year for the same game.

So GTA makes the same amount of sales as NHL, but can charge $320 less in 5 years and still make money, yet EA is losing money chances are the reason is because they're not getting as much sales as GTA, because they over charge for there game every year and people are tired of paying that much for NHL, doesn't surprise me.

Shark cards, and hyper inflation with in game pricing.

They make anything ea does with hut look like peanuts.

You lose.
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Just blows my mind how a game like Red dead or GTA can go for $80 and be good for 3-5 years, and NHL can release a new game every year and charge the same and even higher for the hut lunatics. At least with GTA and Red Dead their maps are huge and the amount of detail they put into it is worth the money, yet EA just reuses the same layout and changes some gameplay mechanics here and there, NHL games should be max $20-30 if they're going to bring a new one out every year.

Just how reality works.

In this case about sales you are 100% right. Hut players help to keep this weaky, game in this format which we have now to get alive and not the sales. The incoming money gives this company right what they do, so they do not need to work much every year to make this game more atractive. Other mode players getting lesser from year to year. They need to know which way they want to continue or to go.
  • pre orders. thats how this happens

Just how reality works.

GTA 5 sold over 93 million copies. NHL sells give or take 1 million per year.

GTA and Red Dead are in a whole different league when it comes to copies sold and general revenue. I am willing to bet anything that every NHL copy sold over the last 27 years is not even half the copies GTA 5 sold.
  • kitchener_boy
    354 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I dont buy every year...I like the 1 game every few years to take the time to build the game as your saying.
    I noticed the longer you have the game..in my case NHL 14,the more some people enjoy playing me cause they trust me to give them a fare honest sim hockey experience. Your not getting a cheeser with me and I know and trust who I play with cause I know the lag switchers and cheaters by memory. I also developed fun rivalries with these players. The same can be said with you sticking with NHL 19 for a while.
    I dont need to or wish to be the best,the game suits my hockey itch..I play for the fun of it.Heck I was on 14 till 4 am this morning.
    For the record..I been watching live streams,some games I think things look alright,others the issues hit you in the face. Goaltending for one some games they look great ,others weak.
    I still say that we need to go with manual tipping.That way you can deflect pucks anytime you want too.