EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - Deep dive

Follow Gurn Sumal, game modes producer for NHL 20 on his deep dive, check it out & discuss it here.

Yipee

A season based on wins so the best get better. Awesome. Why not a season with awesome rewards for those ranked in the bottom 10k only. Or those in the middle. Do you really think someone in the top 5k will finish outside of getting 2 free packs.

I understand if you want to get better you have to play the best but it only makes the best even better.

Replies

• OprtnShtdwn
    53 posts Member
    edited February 27
    So let me get this straight; you want a season where the bottom 10k get the best rewards? Are you kidding me? You want rewarded for not winning? Good luck finding a game then when the goal is to be in the bottom 10k. It'll be faceoff, quit, rinse and repeat

Good lord :( This might be worst post I have ever read in this forum.
  • AreAreZ
    6 posts New member
    Like @OprtnShtdwn said, rewards for losing wont't work.

One option for rewarding middle-bottom players (in order to decrease team quality gap between all players) could be competetive season with certain restrictions. There is already seasons for the best of the best (you can participate if you have won the Div1, or something like that?). So why not season only for players in bottom divisions?

I think there was also season where you was allowed to use only 1 player with overall over 80. This kind of seasons could be also fun for middle-bottom players, who often get frustated when opponent has full legend team...
  • TreborMalkin
    256 posts Member
    edited February 27
    Not for losing but have the bottom tier players play the bottom tier players in a season/tournament.

So you play against people you are ranked with. Either that or make division play that way.

The way the system is set now the top players pretty much every week get the top rewards.

This is my second season of hut started with nhl18. At this point I have completed all the challenges and get roughly 2k coins per day because of daily challenges etc. so for me to make coins I have to grind 13 online games just to get a gold pack. Or if I don’t play online it’s 7 days for a gold pack or 12-13 for a gold plus. So yes you do have to spend to get better players or have players to re roll.

Don’t get me wrong I love the competition but I’m not gonna challende Steph Curry to a three point contest which is what some of these challenges become.

I’m not here for a participation ribbon I would just like to see how I would fair against those ranked with me and progress up.

The problem with bottom division season is there are some hortons playing in those divisions.

It’s not an exact science but it would let lower level players have a chance to get good cards. And the top dogs could battle it out and the middle dwellers like me could battle. I know the teams I’ve played that are ranked in the top 250 just love smacking me 10-1, I don’t disconnect because I actually want to get better.

I grind every qualifier just to get the free bronze pack if I’m lucky enough to qualify I went 2-1 and had to play an extra game to qualify at 3-1 but I’m behind a team that’s 4-5. I also use up 19 contracts to get it so I spend 5,700 coins ($300 per contract) to get a free bronze pack. This season it’s better rewards. I actually take pride in those qualifier cards because I know how hard I have to work to get them.

I like the fact you can trade old monthly rewards to get legends and honestly if you play everyday you should get each months player with the new challenges that ea has thrown in.

• OprtnShtdwn
    53 posts Member
    edited February 27
    Now asking for better matchmaking is a lot more reasonable and understandable. But when you're playing in a tournament and matching up with weaker players. If you go 3, 4 or 5-0, you should match up with a player of that same record which could end up being a top 250 player and tbh, it would be fair since you both have the same record.

At the end of the day, I don't think asking to match up with weaker players is the best answer. You have to get better. Beating up on weaker players won't help you. This game has many issues but I don't believe this to be of the most pressing honestly.

And yes, this comes after I lost 4 in a row tonight where i was outscored 24-4 online.

Maybe more variety in the tournaments may help. The amount of players in the actual game should make it where we could have many different tournaments. All one NHL division, AHL, CHL, Europe, All country tournament, maybe a salary cap tournament while keeping one steady tournament that has zero requirements.
  • So let me get this straight; you want a season where the bottom 10k get the best rewards? Are you kidding me? You want rewarded for not winning? Good luck finding a game then when the goal is to be in the bottom 10k. It'll be faceoff, quit, rinse and repeat

Good lord :( This might be worst post I have ever read in this forum.

I don't see anything wrong with that post. they do it in the pros, it's called the draft. the worse teams get the 1st shot at the best players.

i think that should happen in the CS too.

give extra coin for the win. set it like the point system. a Regulation win = X coins, and OT/SO win and bit less and the OT/SO loss less than that.
  • You should not be rewarded more for losing. What is the point of playing if you get a higher reward than me for losing? Seriously? Don't compare this to the Draft because this isn't a draft. This isn't a league.

If you get better rewards for losing, then why try to win, ever?
  • There seems to be quite a few people who grew up with, everyone gets a ribbon and nobody loses. Reality is different, your either good enough to win or your not. You can either practice and get better or move on to something different, your choice.
  • I have never said those that finish on the bottom should get the top prizes but let the top 100 dance against each other and manipulate x. Let us that are in the middle of the pack play each other. Yes I agree no participation ribbions should be given out but when the game forces me to play online and for me to make any coins as the challenges are completed. There is no offline season in this version of hut to make coins why do I have to play a dancing top 100 player. I go 82-0 in the franchise mode on superstar so at this point why spend money for this game again.

Sorry to hurt your feelings top tier players you are God’s we won’t beat you so ea should do competitions for you to get the million dollar cards on so you can dance even better.
  • I've been a fan of the Tournaments with restrictions such as Overall rating (80 or 85) or team salary.
    Seems like the teams with stacked rosters run me over constantly, while the teams with similar player ratings to myself I am able to usually win a large chunk of them. Although a big CS tourny with different tiers where atleast the bottom tier Players get a chance at something better and can maybe move up on divisions... almost a system of relegation. \

I like the idea...to an extent. Gives a reason for the people who play only a couple times a week a better chance of winning and more reason to actually pick up the controller.
  • I'll admit I found it hilarious when playing Competitive Season, I lose all 3 games look at my rank, there's guys below me who have played 10-17 games and even have up to 5 wins I have zero, but I'm ranked higher then them :D thanks EA hahaha
  • You should not be rewarded more for losing. What is the point of playing if you get a higher reward than me for losing? Seriously? Don't compare this to the Draft because this isn't a draft. This isn't a league.

If you get better rewards for losing, then why try to win, ever?

exactly, it's a game. even more reason to entice the casual player to it. there can still be a grand prize (the player) for those that win the most but to give them the grand prize plus the better packs does not make it an atractive mode for those that play an hour or 2 a week.
  • In the newest draft season I have played 8 games, every opponent has had Horton on D. A clear cut made it to if not still in D1 player. I am currently D2 but just got there for the second time. When I played D3 games and have seen others say when they play lower division games they face the same D1 players.

Many say play the game get better but playing against a player you can’t hit, can’t skate against doesn’t make you better. I have asked in this forum how do those players get d always back, swap players so fast, protect the puck etc. and you get crickets. I am not saying give all secrets away but from what I read this game is pretty much the same game play for the last 5+ years. So a player like me who has been playing online for half of nhl18 and this year doesn’t stand a chance against top tier players. And with the lack of challenges or offline seasons where you can play the AI, or practice per say, how does one get better or see if your team plays better based on new cards you get or settings I change if I’m playing against 99 lemeiux, 99 Gretzky, 97 forsberg, and Horton etc. that dance, hold the puck, and poke and lift like mad.

What I ask for is for me to play against players rated where I’m rated to be able to get better to challenge the D1 players.