EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 Roster Update - April 17th

Check out the details on the latest Roster changes here.

Does stats matter? or not? I changed my mind today...

Prev134
So here is the short story (thank god it's the short version, I know)
I won Div 1... need to go back to Div 2... so I can continue my progression challenges.. You know the drill... So I built up a team of "unused cards" so I could lose in peace without using my precious contracts for my A team.
Now I noticed that since my team OVR dropped, I faced way less powerful oponents in each game compared to my games with my A team (97 OVR) to Win Div 1
Played 7 games in Div1, 4W 2L 1 OTL (one loss where I tied 4-4 with 30 sec left but pulled the goalie to let the opponent score and win, i did not want the 2 points and leave D1).
I could have win 6 games, i was in the game all 7 matches. With low overall gold, silver players and even bronze players against 90+ legends most of the time. The last game was insane, again wanted to quit but hey, just for fun right? Let's just play 5 min... lol
I won 4-0 after he DCed after the second period. And I'm not a top player, I'm 404-193-26.
So what? I noticed a difference, like a tilt in every game I played towards me.
Check the team I had first and then go to the video : https://hutdb.net/19/builder/1361996
If you want to skip the boring parts, goals are at 2:05 / 9:29 / 10:04 / 11:45
Yea talent > 90+ cards. OK. But that's not what I experienced. I had some kind of compensation somehow because my bronze card on the 3rd goal felt like Joe Sakic 94 there.
So in my honest opinion:
Two equally skilled players = stats matter.
Low OVR team, you get a boost somehow to give you a chance to compete.
But when a decent player (like me) has this edge... against less skilled and experienced players... not sure it's fair, regardless of the team.
Thoughts? Opinions? Insults?

Replies

• I don't doubt that you received a tilt boost but your goals were some major league exploits... One was a perfect tape to tape backhand cross crease rocket pass.
    Wait until you cross the red line before you pass it... Exploit City.
  • Exploits? Like cheating? or like Greatness? B)
    Cause if these are like exploiting the game I guess good timing and control should not be allowed :pensive:
  • you don't need to go back to D2 to continue progression - if you can win D1 just win it again.....
  • Wow this is new to me. I read everywhere that people do that, and that was the only solution.Well it's harder because you need more wins, but if it's working I may give it a shot. thanks!
  • Oupik
    39 posts Member
    Only glitchers are high in rank of this game... Who does not know about game balancing in this game... Actually, do not know this game...
  • monz
    747 posts Member
    Oupik wrote: »
    Only glitchers are high in rank of this game... Who does not know about game balancing in this game... Actually, do not know this game...

People need to re-think the term glitch. A glitch by definition is something thats not supposed to happen. If everyone is doing the same thing over and over again, guess what it's supposed to happen thus not a glitch.
  • I have read a lot about ice tilt and that player ratings doesn't matter. However, I am now totally convinced that stats/ratings really do matter. You have to remember that I consider myself an average player at best, probably a bit below that even. Last night I had 2 interesting match-ups. I lost the first one 3-4 to a guy with a really stacked team. He wasn't very good, but I wasn't simply good enough to hold him off with players like Gretsky and Lemieux (both 99), Forsberg (97), Patrick Roy in goal and a couple of 95-97 players etc. And with players with worse stats/ratings I was obviously behind.

Now. In the next game I faced a player with some free legends and a lot of base gold players. He was better, but I had a clear advantage with better players.

So I would definitely say that ratings matters. That said I would probably get my a.. beaten pretty bad by a really good player with all basics card anyway. But thats another thing.
  • martmet wrote: »
    So here is the short story (thank god it's the short version, I know)
    I won Div 1... need to go back to Div 2... so I can continue my progression challenges.. You know the drill... So I built up a team of "unused cards" so I could lose in peace without using my precious contracts for my A team.
    Now I noticed that since my team OVR dropped, I faced way less powerful oponents in each game compared to my games with my A team (97 OVR) to Win Div 1
    Played 7 games in Div1, 4W 2L 1 OTL (one loss where I tied 4-4 with 30 sec left but pulled the goalie to let the opponent score and win, i did not want the 2 points and leave D1).
    I could have win 6 games, i was in the game all 7 matches. With low overall gold, silver players and even bronze players against 90+ legends most of the time. The last game was insane, again wanted to quit but hey, just for fun right? Let's just play 5 min... lol
    I won 4-0 after he DCed after the second period. And I'm not a top player, I'm 404-193-26.
    So what? I noticed a difference, like a tilt in every game I played towards me.
    Check the team I had first and then go to the video : https://hutdb.net/19/builder/1361996
    If you want to skip the boring parts, goals are at 2:05 / 9:29 / 10:04 / 11:45
    Yea talent > 90+ cards. OK. But that's not what I experienced. I had some kind of compensation somehow because my bronze card on the 3rd goal felt like Joe Sakic 94 there.
    So in my honest opinion:
    But when a decent player (like me) has this edge... against less skilled and experienced players... not sure it's fair, regardless of the team.

I watched your goals. The first one was a flukey "EA goal". The other three your opponent defended the cross-crease terribly. He could have had an all 99 OVR team and you could have had an all bronze team and you still would have scored those goals. Bad players get beat by good players.

I didn't see any "glitches" there, BTW.
  • I’m 3-1 in the wc qualifier 3. My loss was with my 94 overall team, I lost to a base gold and silver team 5-2 with my 89 Gibson in net. So I built a team with penguins only 84 overall with 88 tg Malkin, 93 trade Neal, 81 diamond guentzel and 82 alumni Kennedy. All others base and Base 81 Murray in net i don’t have a crosby card. I’ve won 3 straight with them scoring 10 vs giving up 4 in the combined games. I’m sure the teams I played with legends and overall higher rated teams weren’t happy. Especially the guy I beat 3-2 on a faceoff wrister by my 76 ruhwedel with a second left on the clock. His 95 bishop never flinched. I chalk it up that even though I’m ranked in the 7500’s I’m just way better than my ranking, lol.
  • martmet wrote: »
    So in my honest opinion:

there is no boost.

the player on the controller is always the most important factor. me using a card with 99 shooting won't matter if i don't know how to aim the shot. 2 skilled players (as it sounds like you are) are going to be able to give each other a good game regardless of which cards they use. if you play an equally skilled opponent with an all bronze vs their all 99 it would be a good game. the 99 might be a betting favorite because their AI would be bigger, stronger and faster but the game play would be comparable. you'd be able to hold and protect the puck, skate and deek into the zone make a move to get the goalie out of position and score like you can with any card. i'd even guess that you'd appear to have more control or it is easier because the player card you're controlling is a tad slower and your movements more deliberate.

there are stats on the card that deal with awareness, poise and discipline. my guess would be that these are used for those 'clitch' goals where a card with low stats will lose focus and do something crazy where it looks like they are just standing around. a FWD with low D awarenes won't be very good at covering the point if the D pinches he's on an island and gives up the breakaway. i'm not very good but when i play someone that has FWDs on the blueline i can usually get a few breakaway chances, i just can't convert them very often.

another complaint about 'glich' goals or 'short-side-cheese' and the like ignores the vision and poise for the goalie. they have endurance and durability too so if you get "the most dangerous lead in hockey" and you already are playing with a goalie with 80 something position and agility they're giving up a cheapy (looking at you CuJo).

most of what i hear about are the speed stats and how a player with 99 speed gets caught or is passed. in that case i think the endurance, balance and acceleration are at work. how long was the 99 on the ice, what position were they skating from and so on. how your strategies are set is also in play here. there is the one that is how hard your players work on the ice and mine are all 10s. my 99s are great at the start of a period but if i can't get them off in 20 or 30 seconds they won't catch anyone on the backcheck or be able to carry in to the zone.

not sure what order of magnitude they use but i'd hope that a 90 is 10x better than 80 at least. anyone know what the magnifier is?
  • [quote="TreborMalkin;c-2060007"]I’m 3-1 in the wc qualifier 3. My loss was with my 94 overall team, I lost to a base gold and silver team 5-2 with my 89 Gibson in net. So I built a team with penguins only 84 overall with 88 tg Malkin, 93 trade Neal, 81 diamond guentzel and 82 alumni Kennedy. All others base and Base 81 Murray in net i don’t have a crosby card. I’ve won 3 straight with them scoring 10 vs giving up 4 in the combined games. I’m sure the teams I played with legends and overall higher rated teams weren’t happy. Especially the guy I beat 3-2 on a faceoff wrister by my 76 ruhwedel with a second left on the clock. His 95 bishop never flinched. I chalk it up that even though I’m ranked in the 7500’s I’m just way better than my ranking, lol. [/quote]

World championship has a lot more players playing the same thing at the same time in the same region. This makes their matchmaking a whole lot better and gives a way better connection and for the most part the game plays how it should. See how that team does once your at 10+ wins

I wasn’t going to play then noticed the format was actually hosted by ea. What a joke last year was.

I hope they learn from this format and get some positive feedback. Maybe a month long cs same style all year. I’ve never had such a consistent connection and game feel since next gen came out. It’s actually fun again
  • A comment on the endurance part of the stats. If you watch a hockey game you will notice that a team that been on defense for 45 seconds will dump the puck from the red line once they break out of their zone. Alternatively a single player will carry the puck deep into the zone. And this is done to give the team a chance to change lines. Players, wheter bronze, gold or legends, gets tired. A normal hockey shift is around 45 secs. Change lines, get faster! :)
  • Base gold card players should NOT be able to keep pace with a legend tram... period!
    The fact that they do, and are able to exceed the performance of legend players is absolute proof of handicapping.

I'm so sick of reading excuses. Because that's all they are. Greater skill is one thing, but seeing the computer a.i. compensate
    In favor of teams comprised of lower rated cards has been going on for many years now.
  • NYR_Nick wrote: »
    Base gold card players should NOT be able to keep pace with a legend tram... period!
    The fact that they do, and are able to exceed the performance of legend players is absolute proof of handicapping.

I'm so sick of reading excuses. Because that's all they are. Greater skill is one thing, but seeing the computer a.i. compensate
    In favor of teams comprised of lower rated cards has been going on for many years now.

There you go, well said
  • HUT is a pathetic joke. Has been for years. Skill has nothing to do with it.. Never has. So sick of losing to players I out shoot and play all game to lose to a few ridiculous goals. Seeing the other goalie stop everything and my goalie can't stop a beach ball. Happens all the time. Right away you can see the puck bouncing off my players and a sudden boost in the other team. It's so obvious. Watching Silver and Low Gold players, playing like high 90's players. Never again will I buy this garbage of a game. Every year hoping the game will change and just keeps getting worse. HUT is nothing but a money grab and could be great if we could just play. But that's never happening.
  • Jetset95
    387 posts Member
    It's funny the best players always end up at or near the top of Comp Seasons and HUT Champs and in the finals of the prize competitions.

But you're right of course, skill has nothing to do with it. They have hacked the game or used their Matrix vision to see the 0's and 1's so they can always have the best advantage on the virtual ice and just occasionally throw a game so we don't get suspicious.
  • Lol what best players? Matrix lmao. No but guaranteed any of the So Called best players dropped a good amount of money in packs. Bet if I wasted my money on this game on packs, suddenly my game would probably play the way it should. I know what I see year after year. Facts are facts and tons of people see the exact same thing. Sure it's a coincidence. I'm sure EA never thought of screwing people's game's up and hopefully get them to get packs to be better.
  • The so-called best players use the exploits.. no two ways about it
  • WealthyFriends
    717 posts Member
    edited April 4
    Lol what best players? Matrix lmao. No but guaranteed any of the So Called best players dropped a good amount of money in packs. Bet if I wasted my money on this game on packs, suddenly my game would probably play the way it should. I know what I see year after year. Facts are facts and tons of people see the exact same thing. Sure it's a coincidence. I'm sure EA never thought of screwing people's game's up and hopefully get them to get packs to be better.
    I think it's strange that people refuse to accept the possibility that EA might be nudging the sliders to benefit the weaker team. There are so many people perceiving this, but no way to prove it, therefore EA can make up its own definition of ice tilt and deny its existence.

• crillux
    15 posts Member
    Of course it is possible that the sliders are nudged. But since there is a group of players that wins consistently, are they getting special slider tweakings? Maybe in relation to how much $ they spend on packages? I don't buy that. Or do they have access to some special exploits that are hidden from the rest of us? Hardly.