EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Ragging the puck

Prev13
Definitely seeing a recent uptick in EASHL 3s where a team gets a goal or two, and then rags the puck (or tries to) for the rest of the game. We've been playing EASHL since launch and didn't see much of this until recently when it happens in almost every competitive game. It isn't the low skilled players doing the ragging...its the higher skilled players that move, dangle, and snipe very well. It just ruins the game because you spend 20 minutes playing "chase the puck" when the guy has no intention of trying to score again.

What does EA Sports do about this? I'm guessing "nothing". Obviously reporting the player to Microsoft for unsportsmanlike behavior does no good, but does EA do anything about this sort of thing?

Its a shame if they don't police this, because its just such disincentive to play the game. I'm sure that's partly why it takes 5 minutes to find a game to play in the first place, because people are just not wanting to play. I guess I'm going to join that group pretty soon if I keep running into it.

Replies

• I’m getting pretty fed up with puck ragging in the GWC. I just had a guy go up 2-1 at the beginning of the second period and ragged for the rest of the game. Worst part is it was the second time I played the same guy and if I could’ve seen his screen name before the match started I could’ve just quit...

What can be done? The gameplay is so brutal that apparently is someone turns a shoulder to you it’s impossible to get the puck away from them or hit them.
  • Yep its horrible i've had a few do that to me lately. Ea needs to address this issue gotta be something they can do to stop ppl from doing this it just ruins the game.
  • When I start playing someone who constantly runs around spamming the poke check and stick lift, doing the stupid backwards forwards figure skating and only going for glitch goals, I'll admit, I'll rag the puck on them all the time, if they want to play cheap, I'll play cheap. Hate to say it, but until EA addresses the glitches and fixes the poke check spam and stick lift spam, this whole game is just who can play a cheaper game than the other it's no longer fun at all.
  • It happens to me sometimes when I play one of those donkeys I just take the puck off them eventually and score until I get the lead and then I do it right back to them for the rest of the game that is such a good feeling watching them chase you around.

Do you guys remember I forget which year it was I think it was NHL 15 OR 16 where when someone tries to rag the puck and skate around the net in circles they would fall down? Maybe they could getting that back but I don't think they should, your aloud to rag the puck in a real NHL game.

Just take the puck off him and score.
  • Would love to know y the took that out
  • MooseHunter10
    401 posts Member
    edited April 15
    Competitive 3 on 3 hockey only works when its sudden death. Can't expect anything but that behavior when up against guys who care about Wins and Losses.

There is absolutely nothing "wrong" (to report / police) with that behavior, its just a dumb game mode.
    EASHL player
  • Steams me up to
  • Again, with the beta tuner making it more difficult to one-man the puck, you saw A LOT less than what is being seen now. More passing, more dump and Chase, and more team play. I should know, all I play is 3s.
  • I just don’t understand why people want to do that. Spend 20 minutes not playing the game, just to increment a Win counter. Just to climb the ranks of teams to show that you win a lot of games....though the only other people who care about the wins are either the same sort of stupid people who also rag the puck, or the better teams that just ignore your “wins”. It means nothing. It doesn’t show skill, it just shows that you don’t want to play the game, probably bc you’re not as good as you think you are. Better off going to play hide-and-seek.

Eventually tho, people wanting to play the game will just stop trying, and all that will be left are puck raggers. Great game.

Why EA allows this is beyond me.
  • caflokid wrote: »
    It happens to me sometimes when I play one of those donkeys I just take the puck off them eventually and score until I get the lead and then I do it right back to them for the rest of the game that is such a good feeling watching them chase you around.

Do you guys remember I forget which year it was I think it was NHL 15 OR 16 where when someone tries to rag the puck and skate around the net in circles they would fall down? Maybe they could getting that back but I don't think they should, your aloud to rag the puck in a real NHL game.

Just take the puck off him and score.

Doesn’t work so well in 1v1, when you ofttimes cannot bump the guy off the puck. The cpu AI certainly isn’t going to help, as they are apparently programmed to be complete idiots. Obviously, if you can bump the guy off the puck and score, do that...it’s just not as easy as that sometimes. You and I both know this to be true. And when it’s 2v1, forget about it.

Yes, it’s not illegal in the NHL to do this...but you never see it for prolonged periods of time bc it wouldn’t work....the humans playing the game aren’t stupid like the comp AI. (Not to mention, a team doing that would have zero fans....because who wants to see a bunch of cowardly men avoiding playing the game???)

Just amazes me that people pay $60 to avoid playing the game.

• TheMajjam wrote: »
    Again, with the beta tuner making it more difficult to one-man the puck, you saw A LOT less than what is being seen now. More passing, more dump and Chase, and more team play. I should know, all I play is 3s.

3s played good during the beta/early access before it just became the cheese fest like it was in 18. It was harder to score and was actually quite rewarding when one went it. I prefer playin 6s any day of the week, but when you don’t got the full crew on, you gotta make do with what you got. But it does get annoying when you play the ballerinas.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    Again, with the beta tuner making it more difficult to one-man the puck, you saw A LOT less than what is being seen now. More passing, more dump and Chase, and more team play. I should know, all I play is 3s.

3s played good during the beta/early access before it just became the cheese fest like it was in 18. It was harder to score and was actually quite rewarding when one went it. I prefer playin 6s any day of the week, but when you don’t got the full crew on, you gotta make do with what you got. But it does get annoying when you play the ballerinas.

I haven't had much luck with 6s. I can't remember the last time I had a full team vs full team game.
  • Still happening....more and more. Still not addressed by EA, nor acknowledged by EA. Great support.

No wonder it takes forever to find a game now.

Going to take a lot of convincing to get me to buy NHL20.

• Just poke che...

Nevermind.
  • Get rid of periods in 3s. Make it first to X, win by 2.
    EASHL player
  • Talongore
    17 posts Member
    Get rid of periods in 3s. Make it first to X, win by 2.

Very good idea. Simple to implement. Solves the problem without taking away from the competition. EA won't do it because _______________________.
  • BoboFloggins
    2169 posts Member
    Get rid of periods in 3s. Make it first to X, win by 2.

people couldn't handle their players wearing sweat pants in drop ins.

not sure how they would react to the core game / rules changing.
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • MooseHunter10
    401 posts Member
    edited May 7
    A non-zero chance of rioting for sure, but the core game of 3 on 3 is first to score wins. Its already been deviated from, for the worse.

EASHL player
  • jmwalsh8888
    762 posts Member
    edited May 7
    A non-zero chance of rioting for sure, but the core game of 3 on 3 is first to score wins. Its already been deviated from, for the worse.

thats not true... there's a real thing called 3 on 3 hockey games and its not first score wins. although i've never seen in played on full ice.

the major problem with EA NHL 3 on 3 was that it was implemented in a lazy fashion. it should not be played on full ice. that is what makes it essentially a completely different game.

obviously the NHL 3on3 OT is first to score wins... its OT. That is not what EA NHL is.
  • BoboFloggins
    2169 posts Member

solid point lol
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E