EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Ragging the puck

Replies

• WainGretSki
    2989 posts Member
    Get rid of periods in 3s. Make it first to X, win by 2.

No clock or periods to deter puck ragging.... Horrible idea. Now it would be rag the puck for 20 minutes until opponent gets mad and quits. Imagine if you could rag the puck for an hour because there is no clock....
  • Get rid of periods in 3s. Make it first to X, win by 2.

No clock or periods to deter puck ragging.... Horrible idea. Now it would be rag the puck for 20 minutes until opponent gets mad and quits. Imagine if you could rag the puck for an hour because there is no clock....

I think his logic is, if he can't kill the clock then there is no incentive to do it. He may not be wrong here. But there is a bigger issue here where this is even an option, to begin with. EA would be wise to address this, this has been a smaller issue in the past but it is becoming a bigger problem nowadays.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • BoboFloggins
    2169 posts Member

I think his logic is, if he can't kill the clock then there is no incentive to do it. He may not be wrong here. But there is a bigger issue here where this is even an option, to begin with. EA would be wise to address this, this has been a smaller issue in the past but it is becoming a bigger problem nowadays.

I don't understand how you guys want EA to "do something" or "enforce" something about people just avoiding you.

I get it's irritating.

i'm trying to fathom how they "do something" other than just change the rules to the game mode which, to me, is just a game mode killer.
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • There are things that can be done to make ragging less appealing without changing the rules of the game. They may not be popular moves, but they could be done.

One of the big reasons real-life teams don't rag like we see in this game is because of how easy it is to lose the puck in real-life vs EA NHL. You don't want to be caught screwing around with the puck near your own net and coughing it up. In EA NHL unless you try an ill-timed loose puck deke you basically can't lose the puck no matter how much dipsy-doodling and L2ing you do. EA could introduce some risk of losing the puck in those situations.

Similarly EA could finally address how the puck carrier interacts with the boards. If there was a risk of losing the puck when you put your stick through the boards dancing behind your own net suddenly becomes a lot less viable.

Or they could introduce a little more realism to passing. If they made the no-look backhand pass more realistic in both accuracy and power it would give raggers fewer options to get out of trouble than they should probably have.

I'm sure there are other things that could be done too without radically changing the game.
  • BoboFloggins
    2169 posts Member
    There are things that can be done to make ragging less appealing without changing the rules of the game. They may not be popular moves, but they could be done.

One of the big reasons real-life teams don't rag like we see in this game is because of how easy it is to lose the puck in real-life vs EA NHL. You don't want to be caught screwing around with the puck near your own net and coughing it up. In EA NHL unless you try an ill-timed loose puck deke you basically can't lose the puck no matter how much dipsy-doodling and L2ing you do. EA could introduce some risk of losing the puck in those situations.

Similarly EA could finally address how the puck carrier interacts with the boards. If there was a risk of losing the puck when you put your stick through the boards dancing behind your own net suddenly becomes a lot less viable.

Or they could introduce a little more realism to passing. If they made the no-look backhand pass more realistic in both accuracy and power it would give raggers fewer options to get out of trouble than they should probably have.

I'm sure there are other things that could be done too without radically changing the game.

OK yeah I agree that could be an option that I frankly wouldn't mind.

hate to say it, but 2k Puck had a lot of that you mentioned...............................

frankly, just get rid of pass aim assist, period. i am fine with that.

wonder how the base actually feels about those suggestions you made.... wonder if it would be positively received or a major freak out sesh.
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • canadianshield
    120 posts Member
    edited May 10
    Why stop at just 3’s though. This is a blatant rampant issue effecting ALL game modes, HUT included:

Button hook puck rag when being defended against every single solitary time. If you’re opponent doesn’t get called for tripping (even though he’s in front of the player & has stick position and defensive positioning which is literally what they teach you in freaking juniors) fret not. Just do it all the way back to your zone until you can repeat the process to gain offensive zone access, all while never passing (because passing is absolutely broken beyond disgusting belief this year but hey that’s a different topic) UNLESS you get deep in the zone & the defender is dumb enough to play defense and pressure the puck carrier at which point THEN you can actually pass for that skillful cross crease 1 time with 100% accuracy.

Oh btw mad props to the pro guy on reddit that literally showed everything wrong with the game by puck rag loose puck deek exploiting the exact same goal and moves over and over and over and over and over again with the exact same goal scoring. result with Chris Chelios. And the comments were equally sad. “mad skills bro” “you’re insane!!!”. Like for real, I’m so done with this franchise.

It’s like they want to do everything possible to kill this so called “team based” game.

[EA_Roger - edited profanity short hand & discussion of moderation]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    587 posts Member
    edited May 8
    I’ve posted this rule before, but here I go again.

Section 9- Other Fouls (From the NHL Rulebook)

72.5 Penalty – When the Referee signals the delayed calling of a penalty to one team and a player of that team intentionally abstains from playing the puck in order to allow additional time to expire on the game or penalty time clocks, the Referee shall stop the play and order the resulting face-off at one of the face-off spots in the offending team’s defending zone. See Rule 76.2.

Here it is in action during an NHL game, not a penalty, but the refs blew the play dead

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1PrbkK3

So EA can do one of two things, call a penalty for delay of game, or just blow the play dead and have a face off in the zone. But for whatever reason, they haven’t decided that this isn’t worthy of doing something. It makes players not want to play the game when the game goes wire to wire for someone to rag it with no consequence of delaying the game. So EA definitely can do something about it, it’s in the rule book, hey just choose not to enforce it, just like getting kicked out the face off. Thats in the rule book, but they don’t enforce it because let’s face it, you spam or go early you lose.

Now, let start by saying I don’t know the rules of soccer that much so I don’t know if there’s a penalty for keeping the ball in your own end, but check out this clip. This is during a FIFA tournament. A player was ragging and the other play just quits mid game. Is that what we want especially when EA is trying to push the NHL series for Esports?

https://mobile.twitter.com/BRGaming/status/1002612188370984960

Sorry for Twitter. Couldn’t find it on YouTube without the video being too long.
  • And hey if we could just get some Ryu, Ken or Zangief styled jerseys we could really get this game to the street fighter mentality that’s currently in place.

Or at least get those guys in some ice skates. HADOUKEN!

mbt2tciqoys5.jpeg
  • jmwalsh8888
    731 posts Member
    edited May 8
    Ragging is a thing because unlike real life there's not much you can do to take the puck away. In real life you simply skate up to him and poke it away. Of course, unless he's an idiot he passes it away before you can do so.

In this game the primary reason this exists is the broken poke checking which in these situations is almost always a trip.

I should clarify. It is possible to keep the puck away, if that's your only goal, in real life. But it's very hard and for more than a moment or two it would be a waste of time and energy.

Here's a video of Crosby doing to but notice how the entire time he's defended the defender is not stop "poking" from behind. Notice how many times he draws a tripping penalty? Never.

• Gifto73
    96 posts Member

Best idea for 3’s. EA hire this guy.
  • Gifto73 wrote: »

Best idea for 3’s. EA hire this guy.

on the surface not a terrible idea (although to be honest I don't care about what happens to 3s, to me its a joke mode).

but you would essentially change the game from what they intended. which was a real game, just with less players, to a gimmick, like shootout, making it much less "hockey" than it already is.

Lets say they decide on first to 4 goals and win by 2. so the second that criteria is met, game is over? so every team that ever found themselves in this position early but later wins is now saddled with a loss?

i don't know what person would ever play this mode again if that was the situation. I would say you would have to remote CR from this mode. Actually that's something that should happen already, same with drop in, or have separate CR for each mode. But thats a different discussion.

i could see it work but as i said, you would really be dooming this mode to total gimmick silliness
  • Jonogunn
    35 posts Member
    edited May 9
    I JUST played a game in 3’s where the team got a goal from the ai in the first period and then ragged the puck THE ENTIRE REST OF THE GAME

had to save and upload the video it as I have never seen it this bad before:

They even messaged us afterwards to taunt us
  • Talongore
    17 posts Member
    edited May 9
    Jonogunn wrote: »
    I JUST played a game in 3’s where the team got a goal from the ai in the first period and then ragged the puck THE ENTIRE REST OF THE GAME

Yup....I've seen that on several occasions. Some games there is nothing you can do to get the puck off the opposing player. Only thing you can hope for is to trip him, save the penalty shot, hope you win the face-off and score on the next play. Otherwise, as soon as they get the puck, they go right back to ragging.

Its absolutely ridiculous that EA allows this. Completely frustrating experience, amounting to zero fun.

But, here's one way to solve for the frustration, which is the path I'm taking: Stop playing the game. I'm done with it.

• @BoboFloggins Oh, I think you know how a large portion of the community would react. Torches and pitchforks for everyone!

@EpiCxOwNeD I imagine the problem with implementing that rule in EA NHL is that it's very much a judgement call type of rule. To put it in the game they'd need to come up with an explicit set of scenarios that would trigger a stoppage/penalty and I suspect that any set of rules they come up with will have holes big enough to drive a truck through. That's not to say it shouldn't be looked at, but it's likely not as easy as it might seem.

@Jonogunn Not the most egregious example I've ever seen ( mostly because they were bad at it ) but still pretty scummy.
  • Talongore
    17 posts Member
    I've another idea of how to solve the problem....should be pretty simple to implement as well.

Just change the name of the game mode from "EASHL 3v3" to "Chase the Moron with the Puck", or simply call it "Tag!" I'm guessing no one would play it then because who wants to play a game where all you do is chase a moron around the ice for 20 minutes where its often impossible to get the puck away from said moron?? And certainly no one would want to play a video game version of Tag...at least not anyone with an ounce of maturity.

Someone else suggested getting rid of 3s altogether....at first I thought it was a bad idea. Now, I am thinking its a good idea b/c these types of players are essentially causing that to happen anyway. Let's just rip off the bandaid and be done with it.

• WainGretSki
    2989 posts Member
    Talongore wrote: »
    I've another idea of how to solve the problem....should be pretty simple to implement as well.

Just change the name of the game mode from "EASHL 3v3" to "Chase the Moron with the Puck", or simply call it "Tag!" I'm guessing no one would play it then because who wants to play a game where all you do is chase a moron around the ice for 20 minutes where its often impossible to get the puck away from said moron?? And certainly no one would want to play a video game version of Tag...at least not anyone with an ounce of maturity.

Someone else suggested getting rid of 3s altogether....at first I thought it was a bad idea. Now, I am thinking its a good idea b/c these types of players are essentially causing that to happen anyway. Let's just rip off the bandaid and be done with it.

Rag N' Chase would be the best name for 3's mode :)

Arcade 3's is better as you can basically steamroll anyone, anytime. Not much ragging to be had there.
  • rcompton78
    232 posts Member
    Jonogunn wrote: »

Kudos to you for not losing your mind during that game and for sticking around and trying to beat them. That would of been a great win. Worst part to me was their goal came from an unlucky pass and miss at the blue line to a cherry picker at center who still coudn't even score then their AI pots a lucky rebound? Then even with ragging you guys had several great looks and NOPE EA goalie says no to good plays yet again
  • RSO75
    66 posts Member
    Looks like all the raggers that were weeded out in HUT went over to 3's. :D
  • 3s has ALWAYS been a rag fast. it's not real hockey. you only have 6 people skating on this massive ice rink. In real life you could do the same thing. if you were good and that was your goal you could just play keep away the entire game. Which is why they don't do it. Just way too much open space.

another thing that adds to ragging the puck is the stupid 3s penalty system. You take a penalty its an automatic pen shot (automatic goal if you are good). It should instead turn into 4v3 adding an AI player.

my small amount of experience in 3s is that many players rag the puck regardless of score until they fall behind by a couple of goals. then they usually quit.

• @BoboFloggins Oh, I think you know how a large portion of the community would react. Torches and pitchforks for everyone!

@EpiCxOwNeD I imagine the problem with implementing that rule in EA NHL is that it's very much a judgement call type of rule. To put it in the game they'd need to come up with an explicit set of scenarios that would trigger a stoppage/penalty and I suspect that any set of rules they come up with will have holes big enough to drive a truck through. That's not to say it shouldn't be looked at, but it's likely not as easy as it might seem.

@Jonogunn Not the most egregious example I've ever seen ( mostly because they were bad at it ) but still pretty scummy.

Well if EA put their focus on fixing core issues that been plaguing the series like puck ragging instead of adding hundreds of silly clothing that you only mostly use in one mode they could probably get the job done.