EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Last Gen options we used to have that need to come back for NHL 20 *UPDATED*

Replies

• j483beale
    116 posts Member
    edited June 20
    Overall great post, I agree with most of it.
    Many cool features for EASHL/OTP from PS3/360 are no longer in the new versions of NHL for some reason. They need to come back!

EASHL CUSTOM ATTRIBUTES FOR PLAYERS.

This one is simple, go back to what you had in NHL 14/15 (PS3/XB1)
    Simple as that. This format was far superior to what we have now. It gives you a far more diverse ability to fully customize your players abilities. There's so many diverse players in the NHL, this format truly lets us customize our players in the same way. I don't know why we got away from this, but we seriously need to go back to this format. I can't stress this enough, it was HUGELY improve EASHL for everyone.

One note on this.. In NHL 15 you needed to build your way up to Legend 3 in order to get the full amount of currency to spend on your player, I believe it was 2500 points. We shouldn't go this route, every player should start with the full amount and not have to build up, so when we start our EASHL career we're not depleted skill-wise compared to people who have been playing longer. Keep the progression stuff for vanity items and aesthetics.

https://i.ibb.co/rwtX2Lp/custom-attributes.jpg

I'd love to go back as far as NHL 12. As far as the L3 grind goes, there were ways around this. If I remember correctly L3 was 350 games played, 150/200 wins, and an A- overall player grade. If you wanted to nerd it out, people went into drop in lobbies with like 4 people and started games and left after a couple minutes giving everyone a game played and the one team a win. Seeing as the games played and the wins were the most time consuming part, you could save a ton of time and get a lot done in an hour this way. There was also a glitch to where you could put on the EXP you had, save it, do some things with be a pro or something, go back and you'd have the EXP to put on again. EA made the EXP cap 2500 so you couldn't go past that, however you could do the glitch to get up to that amount without having earned L3.

I'd love to have the custom builds back and I personally don't care if they give us the EXP from the start or make us "earn" it. I never really understood the argument of giving people things in a video game because they didn't have time like others to earn them.

CONTROLS.

For whatever reason you decided to change the button controls in NHL 18.
    I got used to using the old controller button setup since NHL 14/15 and you change some functions for no reason (I.E. the chop, hip check, goalie control).
    If you won't let us map our own buttons, at least have an option to use NHL 14/15 controls.
    For some reason you have an NHL 94 controller option that no one over the age of 12 uses.

The chop controls were what the DSS controls are now. No clue on the others.
    MATCHMAKING.

I don't know why games like to use this complex matchmaker system that rarely accomplishes its goal (balanced teams/games), especially with such a small playerbase further split with the new 3v3/ones/threes modes.

I'm not saying you should get rid of the quick play matchmaker, but definitely bring back 12 man lobbies as an option.

Sounds like more splitting going on.

MANUAL GOALIE IN EASHL.

For reference I use Skill Stick, Goalie control: alternate, Precision default: off

Side to side movement (without holding LB/L1 precision) is very jerky.
    When the goalie turns sideways and kicks off suddenly is very unrealistic and not smooth at all. It puts you too far over a lot of the time. It should be smooth side to side movement more like it was in NHL14/15.

The puck arrow from NHL 15. Please bring this option back, it's a big help during the scrambles. Players have tons of helpful little hints in the On Ice Trainer settings, you need this for the goalie. Goaltending is the hardest position in the game, you should make it easier so more people want to play it. Nobody likes playing against AI goalies.
    https://image.ibb.co/fUD32K/Capture.png

They added T-pushes in for goalies. If you don't have the precision button held down that is whats happening. I'd suggest turning precision default ON in the controls.

I'm not sure what helpful little hints the On Ice Trainer is giving skaters, pull down on right stick to win faceoff?? LOL I think the only useful one is the passing thing and even that just highlights the most wide-open obvious passing target to begin with. I play 6s almost exclusively so I'll speak of my experience from that. Save percentages went up drastically so I definitely do not think its the hardest position in the game. Goalies make too many saves when they're no where near in position for the shot. I think most people don't like playing goalie because its boring as crap to sit there face 12 shots a game.
    NEW IDEAS.

-Spinorama: should be able to control which way the spin starts.

I believe the manual controls for the spinorama are still in the game. Instead of pressing L2 try holding the button and rotating the right stick clockwise/counter.
    BUGS/FIXES:

-Tripping. This changed in NHL 18 when you introduced the defensive stick idea. Now when you poke check, unless you control your stick with the right analog stick, the players stick goes right for the legs. Before this change, you aimed your pokecheck simply by the direction your player was looking (left analog stick). It was much simpler and lead to way less penalties. Simple fix, let us have an NHL14/15 controller button option with no defensive skill stick.

-60 second Timer clock (next game) at the end of the game is unnecessary, get rid of it. I'll quit the game when I want I don't need a hurry up timer.

-Cant test out custom world of chel players in practice mode before using them in a real game. Used to be able to.

-Shots on goal from outside the blueline are unrealistically inaccurate. Accuracy should get progressively worse the farther away you shoot, not just outside the blueline.

-Club search match room size.. should be exact OR more, instead of just exact.

-Goalies too slow, both in skating and movement. (detailed above)

Tripping. lol

I don't see the reason to take out the 60sec kick clock. If you're there and decide to go to instant replay it takes the clock out. If you aren't there then the timer will boot you out and automatically ready you up in the club dr.

You can make your EASHL player build, assign him to an NHL team and then use him in offline practice. the only difference being the specialty trait or whatever the red perk is called.

Shots from outside the blue line can still hit the net you just need to aim properly. In 6s people bomb clappers down the ice if they see their forward leaking. The idea there is to hit the dead zone near the corners so the puck bounces back out towards the slot. If we can hit those spots regularly then you can hit wherever you want to. If your guy is facing down the ice the puck should go where ever you are pointing the left stick.

Not sure what you mean by the club size search. To my knowledge its either exact or relaxed, whatever you set it to. Maybe relaxed was taken out and I just didn't know.

I call bull on the goalie movement. Maybe the skating behind the net though.

• In franchise: Be able to sub the NHL teams to teams in other leagues (Like SHL) like you could in PS3/Xbox360 versions
  • Daddy5B
    48 posts Member
    j483beale wrote: »
    Many cool features for EASHL/OTP from PS3/360 are no longer in the new versions of NHL for some reason. They need to come back!

Simple as that. This format was far superior to what we have now. It gives you a far more diverse ability to fully customize your players abilities. There's so many diverse players in the NHL, this format truly lets us customize our players in the same way. I don't know why we got away from this, but we seriously need to go back to this format. I can't stress this enough, it was HUGELY improve EASHL for everyone.

One note on this.. In NHL 15 you needed to build your way up to Legend 3 in order to get the full amount of currency to spend on your player, I believe it was 2500 points. We shouldn't go this route, every player should start with the full amount and not have to build up, so when we start our EASHL career we're not depleted skill-wise compared to people who have been playing longer. Keep the progression stuff for vanity items and aesthetics.

I'd love to go back as far as NHL 12. As far as the L3 grind goes, there were ways around this. If I remember correctly L3 was 350 games played, 150/200 wins, and an A- overall player grade. If you wanted to nerd it out, people went into drop in lobbies with like 4 people and started games and left after a couple minutes giving everyone a game played and the one team a win. Seeing as the games played and the wins were the most time consuming part, you could save a ton of time and get a lot done in an hour this way. There was also a glitch to where you could put on the EXP you had, save it, do some things with be a pro or something, go back and you'd have the EXP to put on again. EA made the EXP cap 2500 so you couldn't go past that, however you could do the glitch to get up to that amount without having earned L3.

I'd love to have the custom builds back and I personally don't care if they give us the EXP from the start or make us "earn" it. I never really understood the argument of giving people things in a video game because they didn't have time like others to earn them.

CONTROLS.

I got used to using the old controller button setup since NHL 14/15 and you change some functions for no reason (I.E. the chop, hip check, goalie control).
    If you won't let us map our own buttons, at least have an option to use NHL 14/15 controls.
    For some reason you have an NHL 94 controller option that no one over the age of 12 uses.

MATCHMAKING.

I don't know why games like to use this complex matchmaker system that rarely accomplishes its goal (balanced teams/games), especially with such a small playerbase further split with the new 3v3/ones/threes modes.

I'm not saying you should get rid of the quick play matchmaker, but definitely bring back 12 man lobbies as an option.

MANUAL GOALIE IN EASHL.

For reference I use Skill Stick, Goalie control: alternate, Precision default: off

When the goalie turns sideways and kicks off suddenly is very unrealistic and not smooth at all. It puts you too far over a lot of the time. It should be smooth side to side movement more like it was in NHL14/15.

The puck arrow from NHL 15. Please bring this option back, it's a big help during the scrambles. Players have tons of helpful little hints in the On Ice Trainer settings, you need this for the goalie. Goaltending is the hardest position in the game, you should make it easier so more people want to play it. Nobody likes playing against AI goalies.

They added T-pushes in for goalies. If you don't have the precision button held down that is whats happening. I'd suggest turning precision default ON in the controls.

I'm not sure what helpful little hints the On Ice Trainer is giving skaters, pull down on right stick to win faceoff?? LOL I think the only useful one is the passing thing and even that just highlights the most wide-open obvious passing target to begin with. I play 6s almost exclusively so I'll speak of my experience from that. Save percentages went up drastically so I definitely do not think its the hardest position in the game. Goalies make too many saves when they're no where near in position for the shot. I think most people don't like playing goalie because its boring as crap to sit there face 12 shots a game.
    NEW IDEAS.

I believe the manual controls for the spinorama are still in the game. Instead of pressing L2 try holding the button and rotating the right stick clockwise/counter.
    BUGS/FIXES:

-Tripping. This changed in NHL 18 when you introduced the defensive stick idea. Now when you poke check, unless you control your stick with the right analog stick, the players stick goes right for the legs. Before this change, you aimed your pokecheck simply by the direction your player was looking (left analog stick). It was much simpler and lead to way less penalties. Simple fix, let us have an NHL14/15 controller button option with no defensive skill stick.

-60 second Timer clock (next game) at the end of the game is unnecessary, get rid of it. I'll quit the game when I want I don't need a hurry up timer.

-Cant test out custom world of chel players in practice mode before using them in a real game. Used to be able to.

-Shots on goal from outside the blueline are unrealistically inaccurate. Accuracy should get progressively worse the farther away you shoot, not just outside the blueline.

Tripping. lol

I don't see the reason to take out the 60sec kick clock. If you're there and decide to go to instant replay it takes the clock out. If you aren't there then the timer will boot you out and automatically ready you up in the club dr.

You can make your EASHL player build, assign him to an NHL team and then use him in offline practice. the only difference being the specialty trait or whatever the red perk is called.

Shots from outside the blue line can still hit the net you just need to aim properly. In 6s people bomb clappers down the ice if they see their forward leaking. The idea there is to hit the dead zone near the corners so the puck bounces back out towards the slot. If we can hit those spots regularly then you can hit wherever you want to. If your guy is facing down the ice the puck should go where ever you are pointing the left stick.

Not sure what you mean by the club size search. To my knowledge its either exact or relaxed, whatever you set it to. Maybe relaxed was taken out and I just didn't know.

Having the ability to manually map controls would be great, especially for goalie desperation saves. I've commented on this specifically before in this thread. Both the hip check and the stick chop are a bit more difficult to execute, but I think it's bearable in order to have the DSS.

IIRC the 60s kick timer keeps ticking if you are in instant replay (if you haven't stopped it previously), but the action tracker will end it. There have been a couple times where I've been meaning to check out something while chatting and then been kicked out before I remembered to do so. I don't know about the server side, but it certainly adds to benefit for the players. It's even less useful consider drop-ins don't keep the team of randoms together; another issue.

Pretty sure he wants the club size search to be limited to teams the same size or larger. Personally, I'd want to have the options to choose the sizes you want to search for (2/3/4/5/6 players) and exclude the team you previously matched against. Teams of 2s and those who lag or cheese it all game or such a bore to play against.

I do think the precision movement, especially on tall goalies which probably 99% of players use, is a bit slow. It's nothing I'm very bothered about, but if the precision-off movement was just basically a more consistent T-push where your goalie didn't go all haywire, it might encourage people to play further out. Or make goal line sitters let in soft farts...
    Casual goalie gameplay: https://t.co/tQnYxAsyKy
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    223 posts Member
    edited June 24

Thanks. I put a lot of thought into this, I have been playing since the very first EA game (Yes i'm old lol) and I want to turn this franchise around.

I'd be OK with either.. letting us grind up to the 2500 XP or just giving us the 2500XP. New players may get discouraged on the grind though, jumping in and having their player only 56 overall.

Old chop was hold R1/RB and hit right stick in the direction you want to chop. Now you have to click down right stick (R3) and point it in the direction you want to chop. I'm guessing they changed it due to their defensive stick system, maybe it was interfering somehow. I prefer the old method.

Not more splitting, it's the same lobby. You can start your own lobbies and see all of the lobbies people have started. Or you can use matchmaker which puts you randomly into one of those same lobbies.

The push is over exaggerated and unrealistic.

Yeah I don't use any of the player hints, but as a goalie I liked having the puck arrow, especially in scrambles in front of the net, I find it helped out a lot. It's definitely the hardest position. The movement is terrible now but they have ramped up the auto-save feature. So now guys just stay in the middle of the net and let the auto-save make all their saves.

I'll try that thanks

Tripping. lol

yeah, that's dumb. Why boot me out? Sometimes I'm looking at the stats and talking with my teammates and forget about the clock then we get kicked out. It's unnecessary, there's zero need for it and nobody asked for it. Is it a huge deal? No, but it's dumb.

I'll have to try that. Sounds like a pain in the butt though. It also seems like they didn't intentionally do that. Why not just let us test out our guy as soon as we save our new build like we used to be able to do it before? It's quick and easy.

I get what you're saying, but you're missing the point.. just inside the blueline you can hit the net pretty easy, just outside the blueline, like less than a foot away from the previous shot, your shot will be wildly inaccurate. They have it programmed so anything outside the blueline is really hard to hit the net, and that's just not the case in real hockey. I argue shot accuracy should get progressively worse the further you get away from the net, that's all.

Yes it's currently exact or relaxed. If you have a team of 4, you would prefer to play a team who has 4 to 6 players. If you use "exact" it will only search for a team with 4 players. If you use "relaxed" it will search for a team with 2-6 players. So I suggest the "exact" setting should be match team size or more. So if you have a team of 4, it will search for teams with 4, 5 and 6 guys only.

I don't think you play goalie enough, particularly on the old gen games. Fire up NHL15 on PS3/360 and play a few games in net, the movement is way smoother, you can react faster, and the goalie hugs & moves off the post better/quicker. I still play NHL15 on PS3 just so I can play EASHL goalie, it's a better experience. The old goalie controls are better too.

Skating has always been bad, especially trying to stop shoot-ins behind the net. Even last gen, there's not much difference there.

[Socair - edited swear filter]

Post edited by Socair on
  • Daddy5B wrote: »

CONTROLS.

MATCHMAKING.

MANUAL GOALIE IN EASHL.

NEW IDEAS.

BUGS/FIXES:

Tripping. lol

Having the ability to manually map controls would be great, especially for goalie desperation saves. I've commented on this specifically before in this thread. Both the hip check and the stick chop are a bit more difficult to execute, but I think it's bearable in order to have the DSS.

IIRC the 60s kick timer keeps ticking if you are in instant replay (if you haven't stopped it previously), but the action tracker will end it. There have been a couple times where I've been meaning to check out something while chatting and then been kicked out before I remembered to do so. I don't know about the server side, but it certainly adds to benefit for the players. It's even less useful consider drop-ins don't keep the team of randoms together; another issue.

Pretty sure he wants the club size search to be limited to teams the same size or larger. Personally, I'd want to have the options to choose the sizes you want to search for (2/3/4/5/6 players) and exclude the team you previously matched against. Teams of 2s and those who lag or cheese it all game or such a bore to play against.

I do think the precision movement, especially on tall goalies which probably 99% of players use, is a bit slow. It's nothing I'm very bothered about, but if the precision-off movement was just basically a more consistent T-push where your goalie didn't go all haywire, it might encourage people to play further out. Or make goal line sitters let in soft farts...

Yes I meant precision-off movement. The T-push is super over exaggerated and often times puts your goalie way out of position. So you have players not just sitting in the middle of the net letting the auto-save make all the saves, it's not fun at all, I don't want to play that way.

I would love to ditch the DSS and go back to the controls we had in NHL17 and previous. I don't know why they can't make that an option when they have an option for NHL94 controls of all things. Whenever they decide to change up the controls (which is fine) they should at least let us use the old controls we got used to if we want. I hate being forced to conform.
  • Daddy5B
    48 posts Member
    Daddy5B wrote: »

CONTROLS.

MATCHMAKING.

MANUAL GOALIE IN EASHL.

NEW IDEAS.

BUGS/FIXES:

Tripping. lol

Yes I meant precision-off movement. The T-push is super over exaggerated and often times puts your goalie way out of position. So you have players not just sitting in the middle of the net letting the auto-save make all the saves, it's not fun at all, I don't want to play that way.

I would love to ditch the DSS and go back to the controls we had in NHL17 and previous. I don't know why they can't make that an option when they have an option for NHL94 controls of all things. Whenever they decide to change up the controls (which is fine) they should at least let us use the old controls we got used to if we want. I hate being forced to conform.

That's kind of my philosophy when it comes to games in general: why not just give us the option to choose for ourselves? I get that for some inputs they'd need to change how they are interpreted by the game, but still...
    Casual goalie gameplay: https://t.co/tQnYxAsyKy
  • j483beale
    116 posts Member
    edited June 24
    I will be honest I didn't fully read the rest of the responses before filling out my own response, so my apologies for that. Certain things may have come off as disagreements when I was just trying to explain that topic.

Old chop was hold R1/RB and hit right stick in the direction you want to chop. Now you have to click down right stick (R3) and point it in the direction you want to chop. I'm guessing they changed it due to their defensive stick system, maybe it was interfering somehow. I prefer the old method.

The old method was faster to pull off so I would definitely welcome it back.
    Not more splitting, it's the same lobby. You can start your own lobbies and see all of the lobbies people have started. Or you can use matchmaker which puts you randomly into one of those same lobbies.

Good call, I completely forgot that you could get thrown into these lobbies just by searching normally.

The push is over exaggerated and unrealistic.

That's fair. Goes with my earlier statement of goalie movements are too fast.

Sure, side to side movement could get increased to something similar to the previous-gen. However, I think you'll be seeing people complaining about going flying out of the crease if they move a little as a shot is taken. If you want a fix to that while getting the previous-gen movement then start praying.

60 SEC. KICK:

I'll agree the feature is not needed for drop-ins, but I don't believe you can kick someone from the club dressing room if someone is still in the post game screen. I could be wrong. The issue there is not being able to use the proper club for 6v6 leagues.

Easy fix for that would be to put the old dressing room back in and just have everyone moved to the bench following a game. Kill the clock, let the person stay in the match, but have them moved to the bench.

I guess its more of a dressing room issue I have which makes me see the usefulness of it. Change the DRs and it can go.

I'll have to try that. Sounds like a pain in the butt though. It also seems like they didn't intentionally do that. Why not just let us test out our guy as soon as we save our new build like we used to be able to do it before? It's quick and easy.

Agreed, the old feature was definitely faster and shouldn't have ever been taken out. Same goes for a ton of other missing features like club practice. I guess it wasn't necessarily intentional, but they do allow you to create a player and stick him on a team. I just used it as a work around.
    I get what you're saying, but you're missing the point.. just inside the blueline you can hit the net pretty easy, just outside the blueline, like less than a foot away from the previous shot, your shot will be wildly inaccurate. They have it programmed so anything outside the blueline is really hard to hit the net, and that's just not the case in real hockey. I argue shot accuracy should get progressively worse the further you get away from the net, that's all.

That's fair. I fully get what you are saying and it doesn't make sense as to why the is such a dramatic drop off in accuracy just outside the blue line. I'm not sure that its something that we really need though. It would take away the many ways of dumping the puck in and I just can't see a situation in which it would be helpful. I get it would be more realistic, but we can already aim for the net. Maybe you can explain this more to me as to what it would change.
    Yes it's currently exact or relaxed. If you have a team of 4, you would prefer to play a team who has 4 to 6 players. If you use "exact" it will only search for a team with 4 players. If you use "relaxed" it will search for a team with 2-6 players. So I suggest the "exact" setting should be match team size or more. So if you have a team of 4, it will search for teams with 4, 5 and 6 guys only.

This is interesting. I'm not really sure how I want to break this down. Your current layout wouldn't work. Lets say everyone has your mindset (no smaller teams) and settings for finding opponents. If "Exact" changes to exact or more, you will never find a team with more people than you. The other team of 6 searching exact or more won't be finding your group of 4.

It would make sense to have a 2v2-3v3 search bracket and a 4v4-5v5 search bracket along with the relaxed and exact. Or EA should just prioritize teams with one less, one more, or the same amount of players when searching relaxed.
    I don't think you play goalie enough, particularly on the old gen games. Fire up NHL15 on PS3/360 and play a few games in net, the movement is way smoother, you can react faster, and the goalie hugs & moves off the post better/quicker. I still play NHL15 on PS3 just so I can play EASHL goalie, it's a better experience. The old goalie controls are better too.

Skating has always been bad, especially trying to stop shoot-ins behind the net. Even last gen, there's not much difference there.

I played my fair share of games in net back on the PS3. I'll agree the transitions from position to position were way smoother back then. They can definitely feel clunky now. There was also a delay when moving your goalie compared to now.

I broke out the PS3 and hopped on NHL 15, but I didn't find anyone when searching for a drop-in lmao

[Socair - edited quote to reflect change]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • I would love to ditch the DSS and go back to the controls we had in NHL17 and previous.

Please no. DSS is a prime tool for defending. Anyone not using DSS is doing themselves a disservice.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1123 posts Member
    I guess he doesn't play dman much?
  • I would love to ditch the DSS and go back to the controls we had in NHL17 and previous.

Please no. DSS is a prime tool for defending. Anyone not using DSS is doing themselves a disservice.

No lol

I don't need DSS, I do fine without it. I like being able to aim my poke checks with my left stick, I find it more accurate. It also leads to less trips. This new system is broken. I guess some people like it and I'm not saying to get rid of it, but bring back the old controls because I think those are better.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I guess he doesn't play dman much?

I play Dman about half the time. I like the old controls better and would actually play better without DDS. That's just me though, some people like it better.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1123 posts Member
    edited June 24
    DSS is not just for poke checking, though.

You can use it to extend your stick and block passes and even take away the puck. If you skate with the stick extented like that, beside the opponent, keeping your stick blade in front of the guy, you can often just pluck the puck from the stick, and you don't cause a trip, if you do it right.

Also, when you use the DSS you can skate at the same time, which you can't with regular poke check and you lose your momentum with the latter.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    DSS is not just for poke checking, though.

You can use it to extend your stick and block passes and even take away the puck. If you skate with the stick extented like that, beside the opponent, keeping your stick blade in front of the guy, you can often just pluck the puck from the stick, and you don't cause a trip, if you do it right.

Also, when you use the DSS you can skate at the same time, which you can't with regular poke check and you lose your momentum with the latter.

Yeah I know all that, I still don't like it.
  • I like being able to aim my poke checks with my left stick,

How do you aim with the left stick when the left stick is used to handle the direction you're skating in?

DSS was designed to execute the exact same thing you want to do: aim poke checks.

Hold DSS, aim to where you want to poke and then click in R3. Boom - aimed poke check combined with the fidelity of being able to intercept passes and block shots.

• I like being able to aim my poke checks with my left stick,

How do you aim with the left stick when the left stick is used to handle the direction you're skating in?

DSS was designed to execute the exact same thing you want to do: aim poke checks.

Hold DSS, aim to where you want to poke and then click in R3. Boom - aimed poke check combined with the fidelity of being able to intercept passes and block shots.

You pokecheck the same direction you're facing.

Hold left stick in the direction you want to poke, hit the poke button. Simple, accurate, effective.

It doesn't "aim for the puck" like the DSS, which is why there's so many tripping penalties. As soon as you pokecheck and they turn away your stick follows the puck and goes through their legs.

It's dumb, I do not like DSS, you cannot convince me it's better.

Again, some people like it, that's fine don't get rid of it, just bring back the old way because some people like that better.
  • I really miss the persistent lobbies for EASHL drop in games. It would be nice to be able to play for an evening with the same bunch of guys if the chemistry is there
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1123 posts Member
    edited June 26
    You pokecheck the same direction you're facing.

Hold left stick in the direction you want to poke, hit the poke button. Simple, accurate, effective.

It doesn't "aim for the puck" like the DSS, which is why there's so many tripping penalties. As soon as you pokecheck and they turn away your stick follows the puck and goes through their legs.

It's dumb, I do not like DSS, you cannot convince me it's better.

Again, some people like it, that's fine don't get rid of it, just bring back the old way because some people like that better.

Doesn't regular pokecheck work just like it has before?

DSS doesn't aim for the puck, the stick goes where you aim it, be it the puck, free space on ice, or legs if you're not careful. Aiming with DSS is much more versatile and controllable, and it's not just poke checking you can do with it. Just learn to control it and you can avoid tripping pretty easy.

You can even hold the stick in front of the opponent's legs when you both skate, and it doesnt' cause a trip. There are exceptions to this, it could be that your stick hits the opponent's knee or maybe it's something about animations. This is something the devs need to look at in future, but I'd claim it's not nearly as bad as regular poke which causes some ridiculous tripping penalties, even the slightest brush at one skate causes a spectacular trip, it looks unnatural to say the least.
  • As soon as you pokecheck and they turn away your stick follows the puck and goes through their legs.

This is 100% preventable by using DSS properly.
  • As soon as you pokecheck and they turn away your stick follows the puck and goes through their legs.

This is 100% preventable by using DSS properly.

I guess.. but in nearly 2 years I'm still not used to it and I don't like it, wish I could use the old controls.

Not only just for the pokeheck, but the layout was better too. Puck chop and hip check have new button combinations that make them harder to pull off. Goalie controls were better before too, they were changed for basically no reason, I guess they needed to look like they were doing something and needed something to check off.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited June 26
    I guess they needed to look like they were doing something and needed something to check off.

Or they made those changes based on feedback.

The controls may have been 'better' before - at least to you. That is subjective.

Personally, I've enjoyed the changes. It's not too complex to pull of these maneuvers, and the change to hip check specifically has a risk-reward now that make hip checks as frequent as they are in real life.