EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Last Gen options we used to have that need to come back for NHL 20 *UPDATED*

1235Next

Replies

• Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    You pokecheck the same direction you're facing.

Hold left stick in the direction you want to poke, hit the poke button. Simple, accurate, effective.

It doesn't "aim for the puck" like the DSS, which is why there's so many tripping penalties. As soon as you pokecheck and they turn away your stick follows the puck and goes through their legs.

It's dumb, I do not like DSS, you cannot convince me it's better.

Again, some people like it, that's fine don't get rid of it, just bring back the old way because some people like that better.

Doesn't regular pokecheck work just like it has before?

DSS doesn't aim for the puck, the stick goes where you aim it, be it the puck, free space on ice, or legs if you're not careful. Aiming with DSS is much more versatile and controllable, and it's not just poke checking you can do with it. Just learn to control it and you can avoid tripping pretty easy.

You can even hold the stick in front of the opponent's legs when you both skate, and it doesnt' cause a trip. There are exceptions to this, it could be that your stick hits the opponent's knee or maybe it's something about animations. This is something the devs need to look at in future, but I'd claim it's not nearly as bad as regular poke which causes some ridiculous tripping penalties, even the slightest brush at one skate causes a spectacular trip, it looks unnatural to say the least.

Poke check is completely different from NHL17 and previous. It changed in NHL18 when DSS was introduced. When you hit the poke check button (R1/RB) the poke is directed towards the puck. This was confirmed on here in a previous chat I had with @NHLDev . You can control movement of your stick with the right analog after you press the poke button. Now I don't know if it's just my experience, my controller, my ping etc.. but I seem to only be able to control the pokecheck with the right analog AFTER I press (R1/RB). The initial poke always seems to go right for the puck, even if I'm aiming the right analog elsewhere before I press the pokecheck button. Maybe the dev can confirm.

• I guess they needed to look like they were doing something and needed something to check off.

Or they made those changes based on feedback.

The controls may have been 'better' before - at least to you. That is subjective.

Personally, I've enjoyed the changes. It's not too complex to pull of these maneuvers, and the change to hip check specifically has a risk-reward now that make hip checks as frequent as they are in real life.

It's not too complex but it's MORE complex than what they used to be. I highly doubt the changes were based on feedback. For goalie the sideways desperation save and the spread V save are the same button, only difference is which way to point the right analog stick. So a lot of times you accidentally do the wrong move at the wrong time. It's changes like that which boggle my mind, it's like they don't actually play the position themselves.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited June 26
    I highly doubt the changes were based on feedback

You doubt that - based on what?
  • I highly doubt the changes were based on feedback

You doubt that - based on what?

Based on their history, this is EA fella.
  • How about BAP updates they did last last gen for the game. But ever since new gen no updates
    Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

TN: Snipers USA

GT: King Loves23
  • lovell2305 wrote: »
    How about BAP updates they did last last gen for the game. But ever since new gen no updates

Live the life was awesome. It's too bad that they did away with that.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • Custom camera was nice
  • kezz123
    550 posts Member
    edited July 5
    I still disagree with attributes returning and besides, it is far from being anything that could make this game better since there are so many other little things that need to be fixed with gameplay first.

I do like the idea of having more people join a game until people pick positions and launch the game. I would literally physically harm the kids who have no respect for anyone and join games to idle in the middle (this happens in every games...the typical loser who starts a game and go get food or pee because they are too important to go pee then wait, so they make everyone else wait) ....so yah.,..learn the hard way to be ready when you hit start.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    I still disagree with attributes returning

The more you can edit your player attribute-wise the more uniquely skilled that player is, just like real life Hockey players. No Hockey player is the same. If you limit this, it becomes a stale boring game.
    Funny how over the past few years they've slowly been adding the amount of attribute customization. In a few years we'll be back to the way we used to have it lol
    kezz123 wrote: »
    besides, it is far from being anything that could make this game better since there are so many other little things that need to be fixed with gameplay first.

No argument, there's tons of other stuff that needs to be fixed and brought back.
    kezz123 wrote: »
    I do like the idea of having more people join a game until people pick positions and launch the game

Yeah that was the one drawback of the old 12 man lobby system, guys could just sit in the middle and troll because only 12 people could enter the room. Easy fix though, just an oversight.