EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

“Not a P3 50? Looks like I’m leaving!”

Replies

• > @TheMajjam said:
    > MooseHunter10 wrote: »
    >
    > If you go into a 3s game where the 2 Forwards think its the Dman's responsibility to play D, you already lost. Same thing in a 6s game, and its not a problem.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This depends. Stay at home D's that can read the play will be fine. I'm an offensive D that likes to rush if a forward gets held back, but I can defend well on 1 v 1, 2 v 1 situations. However, I do expect the F's to get back into defensive position once they catch up to the play.

Majjam know's what he's talking about for sure, this is exactly the kind of D I like playing with. I have no problem covering for D when they are on the offensive and have a lane to rush up and I'll stay back to cover, but the D who has no clue about staying back/covering position and lacks any knowledge of playing positional D make's me wonder about peoples hockey sense.
  • zingaa1
    406 posts Member
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    zingaa1 wrote: »
    Cifeo wrote: »
    I started at 1050CR when my team quit the game a month ago. I've played OTP this last month and at one point dropped all the way down to 550CR because of trolls, people quitting as soon as the game loads, and players who are just generally bad at the game. I've played with P350's who are insanely bad, lack basic passing skills, and lose 95% of their faceoffs, and I've also played with level 30's who are almost as good as me.

CR seems to be completely irrelevant and players like me should not be punished for playing a game with people who aren't Prestige. I play games with low level players which are normally lost from the start of the game because I hope they'll watch how I play and learn and then continue to play and keep this game alive.

I will say that I've been playing NHL online for almost 14 years, and with it's high learning curve, punishing skilled players like me who take low level games with bad players by giving me -30CR because my teammates don't know how to aim a pass will only make it die faster. I'm forced to dodge 90% of my OTP lobbies now, even though I know CR means nothing, because I can't find a team on my skill level since my CR has plummeted from trying to help newbs in drop-ins.

Just remove CR completely, and since the game is on it's last legs, everyone will know each other by name and icon pretty soon and you can dodge games with players you know aren't very good.

I understand what you're saying. Can't see CR before the game, so Prestige is all you've got going. Despite what people are saying here, Prestige players are statistically better. Why the heck should I play a full team of P3 50's in 3's with a level 14 or 34?? Because they -might- be players with new accounts? Once in a blue moon I will run into a non-Prestige that knows how to play. Most of the time, they're flopping around like fish. I don't care much for my own CR, but I do care about playing the game right and I like to give myself the best change of that. My record is 303-126-22 and I have 908 points. Not the best record, not amazing stats, but for someone like myself who exclusively plays alone as a defenseman, I'm happy with the way I pick and choose my games.

You sound like you care about winning far more than you do about playing the game right.
    If your team had full P3-50's but the other team had a few non prestige's would you quit then too?

As D-men are usually the single point of failure in 3's, .

Not even true, I've had numerous forwards who are just plain bad and couldn't score on a 6 on 1 with no goalie. Constant turnovers, can't win faceoffs, forcing cross crease for no reason whatsoever, bad passing, blah blah blah and then they blame defense. They have 2 shots on net all game when I fed them the puck perfectly 25 times and then they blame defense, that's not a defensive problem, that's bad offense.
    If Tom Brady throws 20 interceptions the Patriots will lose, no matter how strong defense is.

I said 3's. You're talking about 6 on 1's. In 3's, even against a crap team, if I don't play D we lose the majority of the time.

I'm aware you were referencing 3's, so was I, I used 6 on 1 as an example, let me rephrase 10 on 1.

Haha. You saying not playing good D in 3's doesn't make a difference tells me I should end this interaction right now.

I said that? Uh, wasn't aware
  • > @TheMajjam said:
    > Im P3 50, and the majority of 3s games that pop up, if you are under a P2 30, I'm going to back out. I'd rather play with persons my skill. Yes, sometimes rank doesn't mean anything, but most of the time it does

Just sad...P3 50 can simply mean you played enough games to gain the experience. Zero indication of skill
  • Also to stay on topic re: P3 50, you do realize a ton of players with low levels are people on a second or third account right? I've seen a whack of players under P1 that you can tell within the 1st minute are using a new account and are definitely not new to the game or bad players.

If I'm playing drop in with randoms, I'm using an alt account. Or when I'm playing with non regular team mates. Ya I realize cr is meaningless. Doesn't mean I want it to tank.

That said, i put little credence into prestige level. Doesn't make me leave or stay, and doesn't tell me who's bad or good. I let the play on the virtual ice decide that. If it's really bad, hey, I'm using an alt account, so backing out isn't a problem.
  • jiajji
    329 posts Member
    cr went from 1100 to 850 after 4 days of playing drops, don't really care but it definately highlights how much trash is out there, and there doesn't seem to be a correlation between level and skill. What I see most often is when there are 3 p50s already loaded up those guys are scrub hunters. I recently did a drop in and drew a team of guys who were nearly 1200 cr, and they weren't very good, just beating up on kids who do drop in games. Tells me the system is broken.
  • zingaa1
    406 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    jiajji wrote: »
    cr went from 1100 to 850 after 4 days of playing drops, don't really care but it definately highlights how much trash is out there, and there doesn't seem to be a correlation between level and skill. What I see most often is when there are 3 p50s already loaded up those guys are scrub hunters. I recently did a drop in and drew a team of guys who were nearly 1200 cr, and they weren't very good, just beating up on kids who do drop in games. Tells me the system is broken.

Yeah, I don't really think the CR is of any accurate use, for example I played with a few forwards the other day that were just horrific, completely lost, yet they both were 1100 plus. I myself could careless about CR, means nothing.
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    436 posts Member
    edited May 2019

Yeah, I don't really think the CR is of any accurate use, for example I played with a few forwards the other day that were just horrific, completely lost, yet they both were 1100 plus. I myself could careless about CR, means nothing.

Which is why CR and your prestige level should be hidden.

Edit: CR should be hidden, prestige should be hidden from everyone but you.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1013 posts Member
    Lol these are mostly gross exaggerations. No 1100cr player is lost. They may be overrated and no where near deserving of that cr. But they are basically always going to be miles better than any sub 500 player.

In drop in, there not that many good players left that still drop into that cess pool of garbage hockey.

To sum it up I might say cr is better than 50% accurate representation of competency in this game. On the other hand I would say being p3 50 is about 5% accurate. So basically pointless. Cr has some value.

• WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Lol these are mostly gross exaggerations. No 1100cr player is lost. They may be overrated and no where near deserving of that cr. But they are basically always going to be miles better than any sub 500 player.

In drop in, there not that many good players left that still drop into that cess pool of garbage hockey.

To sum it up I might say cr is better than 50% accurate representation of competency in this game. On the other hand I would say being p3 50 is about 5% accurate. So basically pointless. Cr has some value.

Bah. Because I play alot of dropins, my CR hovers alot between 525 and 650 yet I consistently play better than alot of the 900+ CR players I cross. Just last night played a dropin game and most of our team were more or less at 700. We bashed a group of 1000+ that all they did was cross crease passes and twirling in the corner to bait a defender to force a cross crease pass. It was quite sad. We won 8-1 and shots were about 36-8. Looks like they were trying to play 3v3 in a 6v6 game. Was pathetic to see.

CR is something that should not exist outside of 1v1 matches. It does not reflect your skill in any way, but rather, just reflects your win loss rate. Alot of bad players get carried by good teammates and inflates their CR.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1013 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    While their are better ways to represent player rankings, this cr is all we have and it's not meaningless. Over time good players win more than they lose even playing solo drop in. Al there are always exceptions, while center and d can have huge impact on winning and losing wings not so much. Goalie has a big impact but if you have two [Removed] dmen, you won't win very often.

I think you made my point for me. While your example sounds like mediocre players that do the same crap that works against bad players and they get an inflated cr seal clubbing in drops. they are still better than 95% of the players in drops, hence why they have high cr.

Removed inappropriate comment ~Rtas

Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    While their are better ways to represent player rankings, this cr is all we have and it's not meaningless. Over time good players win more than they lose even playing solo drop in. Al there are always exceptions, while center and d can have huge impact on winning and losing wings not so much. Goalie has a big impact but if you have two [Removed] dmen, you won't win very often.

I think you made my point for me. While your example sounds like mediocre players that do the same crap that works against bad players and they get an inflated cr seal clubbing in drops. they are still better than 95% of the players in drops, hence why they have high cr.

Removed inappropriate comment ~Rtas

I don't entirely disagree with you. I also didn't mention that at least 40 games I have played and won, yet loss CR.

In dropins alot of times you get this sort of combination, and it is what I see the most:

Great D, horrible forwards that can't score.

Decent D, horrible goalie

Great offense, horrible D.

Every now and then you get this superstar stud player that is paired with a horrible team, yet this guy singlehandedly wins the game for his team. These are the types of guys that can easily inflate 5 other player's CR ratings.
  • VeNOM2099
    3014 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    If it was up to me, people's overall grades would be displayed instead of CR. Not that grades are much better than CR since the game doesn't even properly do THAT... But at least it would be a slightly better indicator of their overal skill at that position than just their CR value.

If I see a forward with B+ on Offense, B on Defense and B on Team Play, I know he's a much more skilled player than someone with an A+, C- and D (respectively). Or at the very least it tells me that the first player is probably more intent on playing the game as a group, while player #2 is probably a very selfish player who likes to hog the puck a lot and doesn't come back to help on defense.

Maybe that would also be an insentive for EA to fix the fushluggennah grading system in game so people can get an accurate read of your skill.
  • jiajji
    329 posts Member
    edited May 2019

Bah. Because I play alot of dropins, my CR hovers alot between 525 and 650 yet I consistently play better than alot of the 900+ CR players I cross. Just last night played a dropin game and most of our team were more or less at 700. We bashed a group of 1000+ that all they did was cross crease passes and twirling in the corner to bait a defender to force a cross crease pass. It was quite sad. We won 8-1 and shots were about 36-8. Looks like they were trying to play 3v3 in a 6v6 game. Was pathetic to see.

CR is something that should not exist outside of 1v1 matches. It does not reflect your skill in any way, but rather, just reflects your win loss rate. Alot of bad players get carried by good teammates and inflates their CR.

The amount of people who play this game that can't grasp the concept of finding open space is mind blowing. It's not even a hockey iq thing, just simply finding open space is open heart surgery for people, that's how bad players are able to accumulate 1000cr while doing nothing but drop ins.

Cr can be fixed by making it only applicable to club.
  • MooseHunter10
    402 posts Member
    edited May 2019

The amount of people who play this game that can't grasp the concept of finding open space is mind blowing. It's not even a hockey iq thing, just simply finding open space is open heart surgery for people, that's how bad players are able to accumulate 1000cr while doing nothing but drop ins.

To be fair, Video game hockey has only encouraged learning puck play, and off the puck play has been limited to the fringe of the game. EA's NHLs have largely been about mimicking highlight packages and not full hockey games. I only focused on my off-the-puck game when I played with, and developed roles with, people who had obviously better puck skills. No time to develop roles even in Drop Ins. Bring back Lobbies!

CR would be useful if it was Solo-matchmaking Drop In Only. Separate from club, and unchanged if a group was in the dropin session.
    Post edited by MooseHunter10 on
    EASHL player
  • VeNOM2099
    3014 posts Member

To be fair, Video game hockey has only encouraged learning puck play, and off the puck play has been limited to the fringe of the game. EA's NHLs have largely been about mimicking highlight packages and not full hockey games. I only focused on my off-the-puck game when I played with, and developed roles with, people who had obviously better puck skills. No time to develop roles even in Drop Ins. Bring back Lobbies!

CR would be useful if it was Solo-matchmaking Drop In Only. Separate from club, and unchanged if a group was in the dropin session.

The bolded part a bazillion, gajillion, million times... If I could smash the LIKE/AGREE button infinitely I would.

Glad I'm not the only one who see this!
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    610 posts Member
    edited June 2019

I’ve unfortunately ran into 1300+ CR players in EASHL 3s and you can guess how they played...

...by spinning around like ballerinas and abusing every little thing they can. Makes for a one bad experience I can tell you that.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

I’ve unfortunately ran into 1300+ CR players in EASHL 3s and you can guess how they played...

...by spinning around like ballerinas and abusing every little thing they can. Makes for a one bad experience I can tell you that.

Yea that's why I don't play 3v3. A real gong show of who abuses better.

2 on 1? No problem, I'll cover the pass so the goalie can focus on the shooter. Wrong. Sniped short side.

I'll cover the shooter and pray the pass goes wild. Wrong. One-timer goal.

Yea, fun times.
  • TheMajjam
    572 posts Member

2 on 1? No problem, I'll cover the pass so the goalie can focus on the shooter. Wrong. Sniped short side.

Yea, fun times.

Yup. Love and hate 3's, but I'm addicted to it. As a D-man it's maddening. 2 v 1's happen all the time. Playing IRL defense goes right out the window. My rule of thumb for 2 v 1's are, if the puck carrier's handiness is inside for that short side snipe, he's the biggest threat and I either have to press him, or try to block short side because it's coming. If his handiness is outside, I will almost certainly cover the open man and let the goalie deal somewhat deal with a partial 1 v 1 because the chances are high a pass is coming if the short side snipe isn't there. Unfortunately, in that situation, the potential for the one hand tuck that seems to always go in if done right is there as well.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »

Yea, fun times.

Yup. Love and hate 3's, but I'm addicted to it. As a D-man it's maddening. 2 v 1's happen all the time. Playing IRL defense goes right out the window. My rule of thumb for 2 v 1's are, if the puck carrier's handiness is inside for that short side snipe, he's the biggest threat and I either have to press him, or try to block short side because it's coming. If his handiness is outside, I will almost certainly cover the open man and let the goalie deal somewhat deal with a partial 1 v 1 because the chances are high a pass is coming if the short side snipe isn't there. Unfortunately, in that situation, the potential for the one hand tuck that seems to always go in if done right is there as well.

Well said. They should just remove the 1 hand tuck from EASHL - you can shut down the play completely, and they just press the Magic Trick button. Offline is whatever, and HUT Streamers NEED it.
    EASHL player
  • TheMajjam wrote: »

Yea, fun times.

Well said. They should just remove the 1 hand tuck from EASHL - you can shut down the play completely, and they just press the Magic Trick button. Offline is whatever, and HUT Streamers NEED it.

I wouldn't be disappointed if the one handed tuck was removed. Goalie doesn't seem to know what to do against it.